PDA

View Full Version : Different Jedi-type builds

UinseanRianAchta
09-02-2012, 02:14 PM
There are several different types of Jedi out there, but most fall into one of three categories: Lightsaber focus, Force power focus, or a mix of both.

A jedi build is almost always going to be a multiclass build. I have narrowed these classes down to four core classes based on the typical abilities of Jedi. These classes are:

Monk - Jedi are agile, strong-minded, use meditation to focus on the Force, and possess unmatched martial prowess.
Paladin - Dedication to the Light side of the Force aligns Jedi to Lawful Good, and their commitment to driving out the evil Sith puts them on a path similar to that of Paladins. Courage, Honor, Faith, Purity, and Strength - these are the values of Jedi and Paladins alike.
Cleric - While there is no religion tied to the Force, many Jedi still possess cleric-like abilities. They can use the Force to heal themselves and others, and there are many Force powers that work like cleric spells (blindness or blindness removal, True Seeing, Hold person)
Sorcerer - The majority of Force powers utilized by Jedi work like spells cast by Wizards and Sorcerers. I chose sorcerer over wizard because Jedi have strong personalities, and this plays more into Charisma-based skills than Intelligence.

So now we have our four main classes for building our Jedi - Monk, Paladin, Cleric, and Sorcerer. The first step is deciding what kind of Jedi you want to play, and this where you choose a type from one of the three categories.

Lightsaber focus: Your Jedi will focus mostly on Monk or Paladin classes. If you want more fighting abilities, you will put most of your levels in Monk. If you want more passive/support/buff abilities, you will be mostly Paladin. Cleric levels don't really have a purpose with these builds since you will only take 2 levels in it, at most. 6 levels of Paladin will be able to do what 2 levels of cleric can do. so either 12 Monk/6 pally or 12 pally/6 Monk and finish with 2 levels of Sorc for 3 strong buffing spells (Shield, Jump, Nightshield for example). Extend Spell would be good to get the most use out of your buff spells.

Force power focus: Your Jedi will focus mostly on Sorcerer or Cleric classes. A high Cha Cleric means great turning ability and lots of uses of Turn-related clickies. This makes for a great support-role Jedi. Sorcerer as your secondary class will give you some good buff spell choices. Finish with 2 Pally for the class's great abilities or 2 Monk for evasion. The other choice is obviously the offensive Force power role. This one would probably be best with 18 levels of Sorc and 2 of Pally or Monk. If you choose Monk and wish to use Longswords (lightsabers) be sure to take the feats Longsword Proficiency, Weapon Focus: Slashing, and Whirling Steel Strike so that you can use them as Ki weapons and remain centered.

Finally you have your mixed focus. This will combine your melee capabilities with both buffing and offensive force powers. Good choices for this type of build would be 12 Pally/6 Sorc/2 Monk, 12 Cleric/6Monk/2 Pal, 12 Sorc/6 Pal/2 Monk, etc. Figure out what spells and abilities you want and from there you can decide which classes to choose and how many levels of each you will need.

Musouka
09-02-2012, 03:26 PM
I think you have it backwards... the Jedi are more like these classes, not these classes are more like Jedi. Remember, D&D came before Jedi. Maybe not all of the classes you listed, but the point still stands.

Brennie
09-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Air Savants have fallen to the dark side D:

http://images.wikia.com/starwars-exodus/images/d/d7/Dark_Lightning.jpg

PS - What about druid past life on monk. Flameblade ki weapon = Kinda almost sorta lightsabers?

countfitz
09-02-2012, 03:59 PM
So, pretty much you figured it out in your question, but basically 2 Paladin, which gives saves and martial weapon prof., 2 monk, for evasion and monk abilities, and 12 sorc, lightning 'cause, well that's the only element force users ever used really. Then go half elf cleric dilly, for the self heals. They look like aliens too for a bonus Star Wars esque theme!

The last 4 levels I'd say build on flavor. More force power focus = sorc, more light saber focus either monk or paladin. You'd either go TWF with dual wielded Sirricos (they remind me most of light sabers) or something with pure good (the animation over a thin pure good great sword looks kinda light saber like...).

Go high Str, Con and Charisma, and that's it :)

Kinda like a classic Tukaw build, with a bit more flavor.

janave
09-03-2012, 01:11 AM
Personally id go like:

Base:
3Monk
3Pally

Light side: 12FVS - AoV2
-o-
Dark side: 12Sorc - Air Sav2

Go THF with PA

Try to find Greatswords with the Forceful effect.

Entelech
09-03-2012, 01:20 AM
Personally, I think you should play a Drow Ranger with an emo haircut who uses 2WF paired Sun Blades. That way, you can at least be unoriginal in two different ways at the same time. Three, if he's also a sparkly Pale Master.

Name him ... JarJarz'z't do'Cullen.

herzkos
09-03-2012, 06:44 AM
methinks your playing the wrong game. dnd != star wars.

glad you're playing, even happier if you're supporting turbine via paying:
but if you're looking for a jedi, swtor is thattaway ------------>

CaptainSpacePony
09-03-2012, 10:16 AM
And why is this in the suggestions forum rather than character builds?

Silverwren
09-04-2012, 10:16 AM
And why is this in the suggestions forum rather than character builds?

Why is it here at all?

*Wiggles fingers dramatically*

This is not the forum you're looking for. Move along.

MsEricka
09-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Suggestion

Jedi do not belong in DDO, although you are free to attempt to develop DJO on your own (Dungeons & Jedi Online).

Good luck with your project.

Alrik_Fassbauer
09-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Personally, I think you should play a Drow Ranger with an emo haircut who uses 2WF paired Sun Blades. That way, you can at least be unoriginal in two different ways at the same time. Three, if he's also a sparkly Pale Master.

Name him ... JarJarz'z't do'Cullen.

I would rather call him Drizzt'Mitthrawnurouondo ;)
Or something like that. ;)

Jedi do not belong in DDO, although you are free to attempt to develop DJO on your own (Dungeons & Jedi Online).

Well, the (still current) Star Wars pen & paper RPG system by WOC uses D20, doesn't it ? And that was derived off D&D, wasn't it ?

Silverwren
09-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Well, the (still current) Star Wars pen & paper RPG system by WOC uses D20, doesn't it ? And that was derived off D&D, wasn't it ?

This is like saying DDO and Yahtzee are similar because they both use d6's. :rolleyes:

licho
09-05-2012, 12:27 PM
No Jedi in DnD? Please.
There is a good tradition of Gish builds in pnp, cmbining casting with smashing things with stick.
There is a Magus in Pathfinder, and Duskblade not to mention Psionic Warrior.

In fact i would not mind if they introduce some Gish class. Something like melee artificer, without traps but with heavy armor and smashing things with greatsword (or Axe for dwarves).

ka0t1c1sm
09-05-2012, 01:27 PM
And look! Turbine even gave you a Lightsaber (http://ddowiki.com/page/Celestia,_Brightest_Star_of_Day)!

http://ddowiki.com/images/Celestia.png

Mr_Ed7
02-13-2013, 03:44 PM
My fighter/wizard 10/10 arcane mage 5?
Kind of .... "sithy"?

Vellrad
02-13-2013, 03:51 PM
methinks your playing the wrong game. dnd != star wars.

Ever played KotOR? Its essentially D&D in space, but with evil jedi instead of draongs. They even got their own warforged and airships!