PDA

View Full Version : Auction House Idea

Zaragoss
08-26-2012, 01:53 PM
My Idea is that you implement a server world wide auction house where we can sell and buy things from all servers.

Bloodhaven
08-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. I think the amount of work to make this happen makes it not likely to happen.

MsEricka
08-27-2012, 07:47 AM
/not signed

Terrible idea. This requires that all servers are synced and that no lag exists between them. It also requires that a shared database would be used which would cause further delays in using the auction house.

It could also cause economy issues on multiple servers.

Silverwren
08-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Hmmm, interesting idea.

It would certainly assure that if you wanted it, it could be found at auction.

I'm not sure if it can be done though. Linking all the servers and whatnot.

cru121
08-27-2012, 08:12 AM
This would certainly help Wayfinder. A lot!

Carkolda
08-27-2012, 09:13 AM
/signed

Some of the AH's on various servers are excessively overpriced. Yes, there would be hit to the prices/economies of certain servers to start, but with a larger pool from which to pull, they would balance out in the end. I would say that within a month prices would stabilize.

The real benefit, however, would be item access to somewhat-empty servers. If you had a world-wide pool of items, it would drop prices for everyone and increase access. Overall, it's a win.

I also originally thought the suggestion would be to get rid of the 30% premium charged on the AH. I could see a 5% or maybe 10% tax, but 30%? That's ridiculous.

TrinityTurtle
08-27-2012, 10:36 AM
/signed

Some of the AH's on various servers are excessively overpriced. Yes, there would be hit to the prices/economies of certain servers to start, but with a larger pool from which to pull, they would balance out in the end. I would say that within a month prices would stabilize.

The real benefit, however, would be item access to somewhat-empty servers. If you had a world-wide pool of items, it would drop prices for everyone and increase access. Overall, it's a win.

I also originally thought the suggestion would be to get rid of the 30% premium charged on the AH. I could see a 5% or maybe 10% tax, but 30%? That's ridiculous.

Not signed, for the reason stated above. The minute people see "I can get x amount of gold for this?" they start putting their things up, and the likelihood that it will inflate the prices on other servers is just as great as the likelihiood that it would lower the prices on any. Look what happened when they changed the ah from gold to plat. No one lowered their numbers, and most people understood. They just realized they could amass more, and went for it. Free market working as intended really. An item is worth whatever someone will pay. And the people on the nearly empty servers who need something will buy, at premium prices versus not having a thing.

And as for the 30% fee, it's a fair amount. We have a trade channel, if you don't want to pay the fee you use it. BUt it's boring to do so, which encourages players to use the ah and get some coins outta the game. And the ah gold sink is one of only three real gold sinks in the game, the others being repair/consumbles and ship buffs. However, ship buffs are usually only paid by a few. And the lack of gold sink is a direct contributor to the ah prices. More money floating around the world means sellers will ask more.

grayham
08-27-2012, 10:39 AM
/not signed. Because then all the other servers would find out that Thelanis has loads of FRDS with a buyout of 50k plat 24/7. Whoops!

In all seriousness I don't think it's a bad idea but can't see it happening because of sync issues.

arkonas
08-27-2012, 10:53 AM
now what happens if you did like khyber/wayfinder etc. pick the highest server and stick it with a low one. 2 at a time?

Zaragoss
08-27-2012, 11:06 AM
You can outsource the AH on a external server and the sync issue is gone.

laurawilder
08-27-2012, 11:22 AM
/not signed

This is a horrible idea that makes no sense what so ever.

So other than just shooting off this silly notion what would be the benefit? What value would it bring to lower populated servers like Cannith, Orien and Wayfinder?

Better yet what value would it bring to servers with larger populations? Do you think they do not have enough people buying items?

I seriously cannot think of any benefit this would bring to any population.

Memnir
08-27-2012, 11:47 AM
While not vehemently opposed to the idea and I'd not complain were it implemented - I'm more against it then for it. Can't articulate why, really, the idea just kinda rubs me the wrong way.

Aliss7
08-27-2012, 12:17 PM
I agree with you OP in the sense that, ideally, a _massive_ multiplayer online game should have one AH because there would be only: one world. The reality, though, is, it's complicated and the answers are... probably prohibitively expensive to the bottom line.

AZgreentea
08-27-2012, 12:31 PM
While I find the idea interesting, it would be a really painful transition. I would bet Turbine could work out the database sync issues. The economic impact would be on the scale of the Plat Inflation event for some servers, while other servers that are flush with cash could see issues with their spending power suddenly expanding. Thats great for those players, but it creates an even higher buy in rate for poor or newer players.

Silverwren
08-27-2012, 12:31 PM
So other than just shooting off this silly notion what would be the benefit? What value would it bring to lower populated servers like Cannith, Orien and Wayfinder?

Items. Simple as that. If these servers are under-populated compared to others as you say, then the benefit to them is bringing in more items to buy. If, for example, I'm on Orion looking for widgets and there are no widgets available on the Orion server auction house, perhaps someone on a different server has put widgets up for sale. I can get what I want and someone has made a sale. Simple economics.

Better yet what value would it bring to servers with larger populations? Do you think they do not have enough people buying items?

A greater base of potential customers, which is a basic desire for anyone with goods or services to sell in the real world. If you open yourself (or your company) to a greater market, you sell more widgets. Again, simple economics.

I get the impression from reading some of the other posts that some folks think that you'll be able to pick which server to go shopping on, and I think that would be a bad idea. It should remain anonymous and all in one place, like it is now.