PDA

View Full Version : Make Lowbie Trinkets Stackable

shawnvw
08-25-2012, 01:38 PM
There are a series of Harbor-quest named trinkets that add +1 to a stat (Kneeza's Bauble: +1 Wisdom, Zisoo's Spangle: +1 Intelligence, etc.) Clearly these are for characters too low to qualify for +2 and higher items. Like most stat boost items, they are enhancement bonuses.

Instead, these should be of a type that stacks with enhancement bonuses: an Artifact bonus or Implement bonus or something. It would make no difference to low-level characters, but higher-level ones who have an odd stat would have the option of using their trinket slot to make the stat even.

This might raise the price of the item on the Auction House, but they're very common. If I wanted one for my 10th-level wizard I'd just have him solo "Durk's Got A Secret" a few times.

ZeebaNeighba
08-25-2012, 01:44 PM
There are a series of Harbor-quest named trinkets that add +1 to a stat (Kneeza's Bauble: +1 Wisdom, Zisoo's Spangle: +1 Intelligence, etc.) Clearly these are for characters too low to qualify for +2 and higher items. Like most stat boost items, they are enhancement bonuses.

Instead, these should be of a type that stacks with enhancement bonuses: an Artifact bonus or Implement bonus or something. It would make no difference to low-level characters, but higher-level ones who have an odd stat would have the option of using their trinket slot to make the stat even.

This might raise the price of the item on the Auction House, but they're very common. If I wanted one for my 10th-level wizard I'd just have him solo "Durk's Got A Secret" a few times.Maybe artifact bonus at best, so it won't stack with ship buffs and will even the ground slightly for vets in guilds and newbs.

dterror
08-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Maybe artifact bonus at best, so it won't stack with ship buffs and will even the ground slightly for vets in guilds and newbs.

Wouldn't matter what type of bonus they made the trinkets, as long as they didn't make it 'guild' type, it will stack with guild buffs.

ZeebaNeighba
08-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Wouldn't matter what type of bonus they made the trinkets, as long as they didn't make it 'guild' type, it will stack with guild buffs.http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/7342/chashrine.png

dterror
08-25-2012, 02:17 PM
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/7342/chashrine.png

Huh...when did Turbine sneak that change through? Used to say Guild bonus rather than artifact

CaptainSpacePony
08-25-2012, 02:43 PM
/not signed.

I see no compelling reason for this and fear it would result in unnessary power creep just for the sake of trying to make a low lvl item relevant longer. Ioun stones fill that role now and, by design are NOT readily available (for newish characters).

Alrik_Fassbauer
08-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Ioun stones fill that role now and, by design are NOT readily available (for newish characters).

I disagree with you BECAUSE Ioun Stones are not readily available !

I fact I have never found one so far. With none of my 4 first-life characters (2 are level 7 now, 1 is level 9, 1 got stoned from level 14 to level 16).

Therefore it is

/signed

by me. I imagine that they could be crafted together as ONE item, if you have collected them all.

V_mad_jester_V
08-26-2012, 09:42 AM
I disagree with you BECAUSE Ioun Stones are not readily available !

I fact I have never found one so far. With none of my 4 first-life characters (2 are level 7 now, 1 is level 9, 1 got stoned from level 14 to level 16).

Therefore it is

/signed

by me. I imagine that they could be crafted together as ONE item, if you have collected them all.

sorry to burst your bubble but they are. You just have to own the pack to get em. and MANY of them sell really cheap on ah, as long as it isnt the pale lavender. I get almost any one of them i want for free. Ones i get for free typically
Dark Blue Ioun Stone
Deep Red Ioun Stone
Incandescent Blue Ioun Stone
Pale Blue Ioun Stone
Pink Ioun Stone
Pink and Green Ioun Stone
Scarlet and Blue Ioun Stone
find the right people and you can get em for cheap if not for free. I would say 20k plat at the most. Any more than that and your getting ripped off. Actually i think 20k plat is a rip off, but i wouldnt know cuz like i said, people i know just give em away.

now ones you'd have to shell out a moderate to alot of plat
Vibrant Purple Ioun Stone
Pale Lavender Ioun Stone

the pale lavender in particular is the most coveted one. It can go from 100k-200k depending on the seller. The vibrant purple is like midranged in cost, but not too terrible really.

you just have to have The Dreaming Dark, and these ioun stones, supressed, are usable at level 2.

shawnvw
08-26-2012, 06:17 PM
sorry to burst your bubble but they are. You just have to own the pack to get em. and MANY of them sell really cheap on ah, as long as it isnt the pale lavender. I get almost any one of them i want for free. Ones i get for free typically
Dark Blue Ioun Stone
Deep Red Ioun Stone
Pale Blue Ioun Stone
Pink Ioun Stone
find the right people and you can get em for cheap if not for free. I would say 20k plat at the most. Any more than that and your getting ripped off. Actually i think 20k plat is a rip off, but i wouldnt know cuz like i said, people i know just give em away.

now ones you'd have to shell out a moderate to alot of plat
Pale Lavender Ioun Stone

the pale lavender in particular is the most coveted one. It can go from 100k-200k depending on the seller. The vibrant purple is like midranged in cost, but not too terrible really.

you just have to have The Dreaming Dark, and these ioun stones, supressed, are usable at level 2.

A quick check of the Auction House on Khyber shows these prices for Ioun Stones (current price, buyout price):

Dark Blue Ioun Stone (50k-70k, 75k-100k)
Deep Red Ioun Stone (n/a)
Dusty Rose Ioun Stone (80k, 120k)
Incandescent Blue Ioun Stone (50k-70k, 65k-80k)
Pale Blue Ioun Stone (95k-100k, 120k-125k)
Pink Ioun Stone (3k-50k, 75k)
Pink and Green Ioun Stone (n/a)
Scarlet and Blue Ioun Stone (50k-88k, 80k-100k)
Vibrant Purple Ioun Stone (n/a)
Pale Lavender Ioun Stone (300k-380k, 365k-420k)

On the Cannith AH, prices are a little lower: they do indeed start at 20k for a Pale Blue.

Do you consider these "really cheap"? Do any of you other readers? They're not cheap to me -- my three characters on Khyber have about 300k altogether. My low-level characters on Cannith couldn't pool together the 20k.

Where are you finding them for free? Do you mean when you run the Dreaming Dark quests? That's fine for the high-level characters, but my low-to-mid-level toons can't get ioun stones from my higher-level ones on the same server. Because I don't have any higher-level characters on the same server.

And one more thing besides: These ioun stones, unsuppressed, are wimpy. 120k for a +1 Protection item? You could buy a whole pile of +1 Protection items for less than that. They only get really good when you upgrade them, and you have to be high level to get into the Dreaming Dark quest. (At which point, they're BtC. Again, no help for your low-level characters.)

My idea will mostly benefit the mid-low level toons. As you point out, there are much better items for the high-level ones.

Rian
08-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Ioun Stones drop out of any chest, they are a random drop item. At least that I know of, usually I find them in the harbor and market place quests.
It just so happens that Turbine upgraded them with Dreaming Dark.
Originally you couldn't upgrade them.

I wouldn't mind if the baubles and trinkets were turned to artifact bonuses considering that +2 and higher is now readily available and not as rare as they used to be.

V_mad_jester_V
08-27-2012, 10:36 AM
A quick check of the Auction House on Khyber shows these prices for Ioun Stones (current price, buyout price):

Dark Blue Ioun Stone (50k-70k, 75k-100k)
Deep Red Ioun Stone (n/a)
Dusty Rose Ioun Stone (80k, 120k)
Incandescent Blue Ioun Stone (50k-70k, 65k-80k)
Pale Blue Ioun Stone (95k-100k, 120k-125k)
Pink Ioun Stone (3k-50k, 75k)
Pink and Green Ioun Stone (n/a)
Scarlet and Blue Ioun Stone (50k-88k, 80k-100k)
Vibrant Purple Ioun Stone (n/a)
Pale Lavender Ioun Stone (300k-380k, 365k-420k)

On the Cannith AH, prices are a little lower: they do indeed start at 20k for a Pale Blue.

Do you consider these "really cheap"? Do any of you other readers? They're not cheap to me -- my three characters on Khyber have about 300k altogether. My low-level characters on Cannith couldn't pool together the 20k.

Where are you finding them for free? Do you mean when you run the Dreaming Dark quests? That's fine for the high-level characters, but my low-to-mid-level toons can't get ioun stones from my higher-level ones on the same server. Because I don't have any higher-level characters on the same server.

And one more thing besides: These ioun stones, unsuppressed, are wimpy. 120k for a +1 Protection item? You could buy a whole pile of +1 Protection items for less than that. They only get really good when you upgrade them, and you have to be high level to get into the Dreaming Dark quest. (At which point, they're BtC. Again, no help for your low-level characters.)

My idea will mostly benefit the mid-low level toons. As you point out, there are much better items for the high-level ones.

nope i dont run any of those quest, people literally give me alot of the ioun stones when i ask. free of charge, mainly cuz they are becoming more and more common.

I dont see any valid arguements to give lowbies more improvements considering cannith crafting already fixes this. Back when i started playing this game, the best you disable device item my level 7 rogue could find was+7 or 8, but now at level 7 i can get a +10 item cuz of crafting.

If your having that much of a problem finding decent loot in the currently improved loots in chest, then find someone to craft for you. there are now more level appropriate drops i dont see any reason to continue down the path of good to broke. make twink toons super twinks, meh.

i think the games current loot system works well, and i think that all stat bonuses to most equipment is level appropriate. Dont want that +2 trinket then dont use it, but dont get the benefit for it.

Also these low levels are the times when stat spell buffs are most useful (bull str, cats grace, owls wisdome, ect) you have all the means. So utilize pots, arcanes, divine buffs. along with those buffs ship buffs offer +2 so you can get up to +6 to all your stats with the combination of spells and ship buffs. Asking for them to stack is just flat greedy. I think having +6 to all your stats is pretty generous.

They dont have to let ship buffs stack with items ya know. so a level 4 fighter with base 18 strength lets say they are horc thats +1 racial str +1 ftr str =20 +4 bull str +2 shrine, your now a level 4 with 26 str. Now you wanna be a level 5 that can equal to a level 10 toons str.

i think trinkets shouldnt stack mainly cuz you ALREADY HAVE THE MEANS, your just not using them.

most easily obtained items
bull str pots
eagle splendor
foxes cunning pots
owls wisdom
cats grace

must i continue? so instead of complaining bout how things should be, try using what is easily obtained and very common. And anyone who says that those pots listed above are not easy to find/obtain, then i know they are talking straight outta their bums. Those are all items that are commonly left in chest cuz they dont stack with a higher level toon's gear.

Missing_Minds
08-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Ioun Stones drop out of any chest, they are a random drop item.
Any chest/end reward that is the appropriate level. You missed a big kicker there.

The only exception to that is the DD reward loot table.

And no, I have to disagree and say no to the OPs suggestion.

Now... I think it would be cool that if you got all of those kobold trinkets, you could toss them all into the stone of change to create a "Kobold Trinket" which would give all those bonus (not changing the type) on the trinket.
+1 to several stats on the trinket is hardly over powering. I mean look at the Orb of Blood out of Tor. Even when it was brand new, no one used it.

Alrik_Fassbauer
08-28-2012, 04:47 AM
Now, what I find interesting is this :

This thread STARTED with this :

(Kneeza's Bauble: +1 Wisdom, Zisoo's Spangle: +1 Intelligence, etc.)

What it soon becomes distorted into is this :

Dark Blue Ioun Stone
Deep Red Ioun Stone
Pale Blue Ioun Stone
Pink Ioun Stone
Pale Lavender Ioun Stone

Now, the original poster's intention was NOT to talk about Ioun Stones ! Not at all !

I find it interesting that yet another lowbie-themed thread becomes distorted into an "higbie"-themed thread.

This just supports my theory that most of the people here just aren't nterested in the problems of lowbies, but rather in the problems of high- and high-end-gaming within DDO.

Almost any time I see a thread opened to be about Newbie/Lowbie things, is very soon becomes occupied by high-end players who hijack it into a thread about the needs of higher-level players.

Very telling.

sirgog
08-28-2012, 04:56 AM
Of course this thread became about higher level characters - the OP suggested a change that would have little to no effect at low level (where stat boosts don't make a huge difference and elemental resist shrines are the most powerful thing in the game) but a significant effect at high level (adding yet another absolutely stacking point to caster stats).

I'd rather they be made +2 so they are cool when you get them and also so they don't give new players an example of items with seemingly identical effects stacking when in DDO most do not.