PDA

View Full Version : New player questions

MrDodd
08-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Right now I (wiz/rogue) duo with my wife (cleric) and we're level 3. I don't see a problem at this second but when should we bother subbing for the added quests? I don't see spending $xx.xx amount on quests packs (which are expensive) while I can sub and get all bonuses + some cash shop money.

Also any other info that would be helpful for us I'd appreciate.

PolarisNC
08-23-2012, 06:45 PM
The whole premium vs. VIP question is kinda a personal preference thing, I think. You can do quite well spending very little as a premium player, but some find the VIP perks to be worth their while. If I were you, I'd play for free until I ran out of quests (you'll probably start to feel a shortage of quests around level 7 or 8) and then decide if the game is worth the $30/month for 2 subscriptions, or if you'd rather just pay as you go for the features you want.

Regardless, Welcome to the Game! We're glad you're here.

WargamerIV
08-23-2012, 06:50 PM
I would suggest waiting until you just turn level 5 as that is where a lot of the low level quests pay to play are set and on first life you can get there without repeating a lot of the quests if you run them first on normal.

The question of subscribing (VIP) vs buying adventure packs (Premium) is a mixed issue. While it is possible to get to level 20 without either (I did this on my first toon) I would suggest going VIP for 3 months to see a lot of the quests, then to Premium (i.e. cancel the subscription) then pick up points when they are on sale and get adventure packs when they are on sale (as they were a few days ago.)

MrDodd
08-23-2012, 07:18 PM
My wife and I both get bored really fast so "new" things would help keep our attention. I really like being able to search for hidden doors and stopping traps. Just killing is boring so I'm thinking the pay quests might have more things to do that are not all fight fight fight.

WargamerIV
08-23-2012, 07:29 PM
My wife and I both get bored really fast so "new" things would help keep our attention. I really like being able to search for hidden doors and stopping traps. Just killing is boring so I'm thinking the pay quests might have more things to do that are not all fight fight fight.

The additional packs are more different types of monsters/quests.

You didn't say if you played PnP (pen and paper) D&D, but there the DM can add more of what you like. With DDO the new packs while different, aren't that different. If you are looking to just run each quest once and then move on to something else (likely quitting DDO) then go VIP for the short time you will be here, but the new packs are still mostly just fight, fight, fight.

mystafyi
08-23-2012, 07:33 PM
vip will also give you full access(for the moment) to the monster manual add-on. This will enable you to get rewards for killing thousands upon thousands of mobs.

MrDodd
08-23-2012, 08:38 PM
So at some point (besides endgame) we'll be doing certain quests over, and over, and over, and over? I don't mind grinding a LITTLE but if it's a constant thing then I don't think we'll get to serious with this game.

Rip-V-Winkle
08-23-2012, 08:47 PM
If you like doing traps then the Sharn Syndicate chain in Market place you will really like. It is a Pay to play series.
I think starting out every one should go VIP for at least 3 months.
That way you get all the quests, and extra toon slots all races but Drow all Classes except Favored Soul and Artificer.
The Shared bank is a good help.
But that is just my way of doing.

bbqzor
08-23-2012, 09:13 PM
So at some point (besides endgame) we'll be doing certain quests over, and over, and over, and over? I don't mind grinding a LITTLE but if it's a constant thing then I don't think we'll get to serious with this game.

Depends. I don't enjoy repeats if I can avoid it, so for example the last TR I ran (leveling 1 to 20 again for more stats) I just did something like 240 different quests, one time each. So no repeats.

But, I've played them all before at some point, so in a way thats 240 repeats. Itd just been a month or two since I'd seen any of them. But its not like I was running the same one 10 times back to back.

There are people who play that way, spamming some quests, since in some cases it offers a better return on time (such as more xp/minute in quest, so getting to 20 faster). But just because its "faster" doesn't make it "better", this is a game where you really want to focus on what you enjoy and go from there. I just can't stand doing the same quest more than 1-2 in a row before moving on, so I don't, and I level just fine.

Now at the very top, its virtually all repeats. Simply because thats how to get rare gear (ie, they can't make the cool loots drop the first run, so its the same thing x100 to get gear). This is getting worse as time goes on, so fair warning. In its current state virtually all the top end characters are stuck in the same 10-15 dungeons, so yea, lame.

If you just want to see story and check out new dungeons as you go along just duoing, DDO is pretty good. Not that I advocate giving them money per se, but that is what the games strong suit is right now. For folks who don't really want to group up with strangers and burn towards some top level thing, a few months of ViP is probably the cheapest way to just see as much as you can one or two times through (since buying all the packs to use just one time can get costly). If youre into getting to max level and farming epic loot and doing raids, DDO is not so hot.

FestusHood
08-23-2012, 09:17 PM

V.I.P. definitely sounds like your best bet, then. Having access to all the available quests on a first life, you will likely never have to run any of them twice. Also if you do decide that you don't like the idea of playing through the game again at a later date on other characters, you won't feel like you're leaving an investment behind if you decide to go.

When i was typing this it wasn't as redundant as it sounds given that i didn't see the previous post until after.

Bozone
08-24-2012, 11:50 AM

It's really up to you. There are a ton of variables that largely come down to your preferred play style. On a first life character there are enough quests that you will out-level a bunch before you get a chance to do them (at least to level 12 or so, I'd guess - above that the number of quests are fewer, but still plenty to avoid repeating). So your second trip through (either new character or TR) there may still be quite a few quests you haven't done unless you go back and do those quests for favor.

If you TR (true reincarnate) there's a big increase in the xp required to level, and a 2nd TR has increased xp again. After that, it stays the same for subsequent TR's. So after TR'ing a few times you will probably have to repeat quests at the higher levels (although they keep adding more quests).

If you want to get some of the best magical items you will have to farm for them - repeating the quests that drop those items until they finally drop. It's a matter of luck how quickly you get them, but some are quite rare. You don't need those items to be a competent player/character/party member, but they will provide some increase in the power of your character.

Some players repeatedly TR and race through the levels to get back to end game raiding or to TR again. Others play a lot of alts and some never reach the end game. Some players can take a multiple TR character from level 1 to 20 in a few days, while others take months or years to get to level 20. So, it's really up to you and how you want to play the game.

DaGreat1
08-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Why not get yourself a VIP account, and with the TPs you get, buy your wife some guest passes. She won't have access to all the classes and races that you have, but for 15$/month, you'll have access to every quests

MrDodd
08-24-2012, 05:42 PM
I guess once we hit lvl 5ish or run out of quests I'll sub both of us.

$9.99 a month isn't too bad imho

Postumus
08-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Right now I (wiz/rogue) duo with my wife (cleric) and we're level 3. I don't see a problem at this second but when should we bother subbing for the added quests? I don't see spending $xx.xx amount on quests packs (which are expensive) while I can sub and get all bonuses + some cash shop money.

Also any other info that would be helpful for us I'd appreciate.

Subbing is a relatively inexpensive way to have access to 90% of the game and lets you see if there are packs or classes and races you want to purchase if you ever revert back to premium.

You can get subs for as little as around $10/month if you get the full year (I believe).

The sub also gives you 500 tps per account per month so you can spend it on froo-froo stuff like armor kits, rez cakes, mana potions or bank it until you decide to revert to premium and use the banked TPs to purchase the packs and classes/races you like.

DanteEnFuego
08-24-2012, 05:54 PM
I guess once we hit lvl 5ish or run out of quests I'll sub both of us.

$9.99 a month isn't too bad imho

I started day 1 as VIP. Very happy with it. For $10 per month, it is great hours of fun per buck...