PDA

View Full Version : Close DDO

jskinner937
08-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Close DDO for a few weeks and get rid of all the bugs. Rewrite the code or whatever. Or should we all just stop playing to give you the time to fix it. Because I am here to tell you the gameplay of this game is going downhill and to me since MoTU its just seems to be less enjoyable with the skip lags and the item switch lags, etc, orb lags, spell lags, etc., etc. Don't worry about us we can find things to do. Sorry for the smart-alleck remarks, but listen to us for a change.

grayham
08-23-2012, 07:48 AM
I'm having a great time and the bugs that seem to be ruining everyone else's gaming experiences are absent from mine, so either I'm just lucky or totally unobservant. Yeah, so don't close DDO.

Uska
08-23-2012, 07:49 AM
Sorry but I am having as much fun as ever and no real issue with bugs

Silverwren
08-23-2012, 08:12 AM

This.

Maybe it's because I didn't get any of the new content?

Elation
08-23-2012, 08:21 AM
I'm having a great time and the bugs that seem to be ruining everyone else's gaming experiences are absent from mine, so either I'm just lucky or totally unobservant. Yeah, so don't close DDO.

I agree with you for the most part, I had a lesser res bug that could only be fixed by a tr, which was a bit annoying but hey what can you do. For the most part the bugs seem to be minor i experince virtual no lag maybe Turbine should think about updating their system requirement section.

Fejj
08-23-2012, 08:26 AM
I've been hit with all sorts of bugs. My main is a bard for crying out loud. But i manage to still play and have fun. Bugs and all.

Once the game is no longer fun for you, stop playing, but leave the rest of us alone.

/not signed

CaptainSpacePony
08-23-2012, 08:39 AM
Excellent suggestion! When you shut it down, please do so with no advance notice nor word of when you expect to restore services!

I am on DDO almost all the time, I implore you to release me from my virtual bonds that hold me captive at the keyboard.

The game is in such a terrible state that I can't stand to log off for fear it may not be there when I return.

/end smarm

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=389524

Loromir
08-23-2012, 08:50 AM
/Not Signed

....I have played all of the new content except the raid. I play frequently and the bugs don't bother me. I notice them occaisionally, but it is not taking away from my fun.

Thank goodness they do listen to us and provide us a great game. Thank goodness they don't listen to the Vocal Minority who has nothing better to do than whine and complain and do drastic things like shut down DDO.

If its unplayable for you, then don't play, but don't pretend your speaking for me.

Bolo_Grubb
08-23-2012, 08:52 AM
why close it? the Game works even with a few bugs.

They can and probably do work on an offline copy of the game to try and fix bugs

cforce
08-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Close DDO for a few weeks and get rid of all the bugs.

/facepalm

(1) Closing DDO would make fixing bugs go slower, not faster. Contrary to popular forum opinion, bug reports really *do* help fix bugs.
(2) Time to fix "all the bugs" is measured in years, not weeks.

A more realistic request might be:

"Can you not release any new content for the next year, and fix all the bugs instead."

I, for one, don't want a year with no new content.

janave
08-23-2012, 09:24 AM

^this

take a break if you want to

Rubix
08-23-2012, 09:25 AM
/not signed

for all the reasons already given. Besides, I kinda enjoy the bugs and all... makes for a more of a challenge and I feel like I'm experiencing more of the game as it develops and changes. Been with DDO since 2007 and love to see how it has evolved, encountered growing pains and pushed through to become what it is and potentially can become.

AlexMonk
08-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Hey OP if you leave, can I have your gear ?

/not signed.

dng242
08-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Hey OP if you leave, can I have your gear ?

/not signed.

I would say a real possibility you would be disappointed.

Tshober
08-23-2012, 11:02 AM
I grant you that there is a very large and continually growing list of bugs and design problems with DDO. However, closing down the game would not, in any way, speed up fixing those problems. The main problem I see is that the bugs are increasing faster than the devs can fix them. Mostly this is due to the constant release of new content that has ever more bugs in it. A smaller part is due to bug fixes that generate more bugs themselves. If any progress is to be made in shortening the bug list and fixing long time problems, then new content will need to be more bug free than it has been or will need to be released less frequently so there is time to fix more of the bugs and other problems in between releases.

In summary, close DDO = silly, fix bugs = yes please.

TrinityTurtle
08-23-2012, 11:11 AM
First, you don't speak for a great many players who are online every day, having a grand old time. I am one of them. The game is fun. Are there bugs? Obviously, they've been discussed to death to the point where no one really has anything effective to say about them anymore until new ones come up. IN a giant patchwork quilt with as many problems as the company had in the early days, they've done an amazing job.

Second, there is no point closing the live servers. They have their own private development servers they work with. Closing DDO for a few weeks to 'repair everything' would not only be an utterly idiotic move in customer relations, but absolutely pointless.

Third, Turbine is no longer it's own company. We like to scream at them because they are the face of ddo, and the company we're used to dealing with, but that little buyout thing, while having very little impact on most of us players, has a huge impact on how Turbine allocates it's resources among it's three mmo's. They have to answer to poeple now. And the parent company was pretty transparent about their main interest in acquiring Turbine being to gain control of the only LOTRO license they didn't own already. As long as ddo is still making them money, the parent company will continue to allow turbine to dedicate resources to it, but shutting the game down (especially pointlessly since they could do any reworking on their private servers which is where they code the updates before they are added to the live servers) would dry that tap, and dry the parent companies interest in ddo. Also, I'm not sure there is enough interest in the parent company, or enough income, without seeing the figures, to know for sure if the expense of writing a whole new gaming engine which is probalby the core of the issues here would be justified. It's easy to say Turbine is raking money hand over fist with teh ddo store, but none of us really know how many sales occur, or what Turbines expenses are, or do any reserach to find out. It is just often assured on the forums that Turbine has buku cash and just chooses not to use it. I'm not even sure people who go that route realize it's not even Turbine's cash anymore.

BruceTheHoon
08-23-2012, 11:19 AM
:)

These close & fix suggestions always make me wonder: do some people think, that bugs can only be fixed when the game is down? Or that developers have to choose between either running the game or working on it?

Olath_Senger
08-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Rewrite the code or whatever.

Stopped reading here.

Rewriting the code for the expansion would take months. A lot longer than "a few weeks" like you asked for. Such a request is completely unrealistic.

The 10% of the players that use the forums are also the majority of the guys who notice and feel affected by bugs. Almost everyone I group with doesn't notice or doesn't care and they enjoy the game easily. I suggest trying to do the same, or quit the game and move on.

zwiebelring
08-23-2012, 12:01 PM
What do you suggest? Not noticing or not caring?

Dhalgren
08-23-2012, 12:10 PM
:)

These close & fix suggestions always make me wonder: do some people think, that bugs can only be fixed when the game is down? Or that developers have to choose between either running the game or working on it?

But if the devs all start working on the code without taking the game down, who's going to be left to play the mobs against us, huh?

Sheesh, some people.

:D

Expalphalog
08-23-2012, 12:19 PM

It's not that the developers can't do both, but there is a power limitation. I have it on good authority that Turbine HQ is a toolshed in someone's backyard (oddly the homeowner, not being a very handy fellow, hasn't been to his toolshed in years and has no idea that a corporation is operating out of there!). Therefore, they only have one single twelve-outlet power strip with which to power everything.

There are eight servers, each requiring one outlet. So that leaves only four undedicated outlets: One of which powers Lamannia. Another covers Mournlands. The third runs the minifridge which is supposed to be for the devs' lunches but Cordovan, desperate for a real world version of the Gelatinous Cube cosmetic pet, filled it to the brim with Green Apple Jell-O and human blood (don't ask) a few months ago. Everybody laughed at the time, but now they're all too scared to open the fridge for fear that the experiment might have worked.

The fourth plug is reserved for Mal's iPod charger. Yes there are more productive uses for the final outlet, but Mal won it fair and square at last year's annual picnic by correctly guessing the number of pinto beans that Eladrin has eaten in his lifetime.

Sadly, this leaves no free outlets with which to power the computers that they use to actually code the game. So yes, if they want to do any actual coding, they do have to shut the game down. Or so is my understanding.

jskinner937
08-23-2012, 12:23 PM
I've been hit with all sorts of bugs. My main is a bard for crying out loud. But i manage to still play and have fun. Bugs and all.

Once the game is no longer fun for you, stop playing, but leave the rest of us alone.

/not signed

Reading a post in suggestions or ideas...last I checked is optional and not forcing an opinion on anyone. Not sure leave the rest of us alone applies here. And besides it really wasn't intended to be a negative post, but constructive criticism.

So narcasism aside, the game is slowing and laggin behind the competition in MMOs. No I am nto a dev or programmer and do not know if shutting the game down would help, but a suggestion nonetheless.

Flavilandile
08-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Rewriting the code for the expansion would take months.

I think he means all the code... including the original code.

cforce
08-23-2012, 01:52 PM

I think what most of the backlash in this thread is suggesting is that the OP's perspective and expectations are pretty under-informed, even laughably so. That doesn't mean that anyone is suggesting ignoring bugs.

I'll take a cut at being more productive, though. If you want to lobby for fewer bugs, and try to push for support of a reasonable, workable platform, it's this:

Turbine, please slow down the updates to 2 a year, and invest more time on bugs instead.

...not this...

Close DDO for a few weeks and get rid of all the bugs.

But, be aware that if you're asking for fewer bugs, you must also be asking for slower content releases. If you try to ask for fewer bugs *and* the same rate of new content, you're really just a buzzing noise in a dev's ear.

Personally, I'll take more content over fewer bugs. I'll take someone who asks for fewer bugs seriously if they say, "I'm ok with slower content releases," -- I just won't agree with them.

Galeria
08-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Well, I think it's cute that the OP thinks software is like a car (car reference!! FTW!) that needs to be idle to be fixed. I really do.

The thing is, he's trying to help. He wants the game fixed and he's offering a suggestion.

Without people who care enough to come to the forums and try to ask Turbine to fix things, you get silent attrition. People just leave. The people who care enough to ask for fixes want to stay, and they want things to get better.

So, OP, good try.
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w378/galeriaddo/good.gif

Talias006
08-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Close DDO for a few weeks and get rid of all the bugs. Rewrite the code or whatever. Or should we all just stop playing to give you the time to fix it. Because I am here to tell you the gameplay of this game is going downhill and to me since MoTU its just seems to be less enjoyable with the skip lags and the item switch lags, etc, orb lags, spell lags, etc., etc. Don't worry about us we can find things to do. Sorry for the smart-alleck remarks, but listen to us for a change.

Well, for what it's worth, I am enjoying my game-play. Mostly.
I did encounter a problem with a quest mechanic that was horrible when trying to duo Haywire's Foundry with a close friend who is just a casual gamer, not even close to hard core. It was a learning experience and I chalked it up that way.
I could have asked for a GM to help, but really it wasn't that big of a deal.

My point is that this is your opinion of the state of the game, and not indicative of everyone else's views.

Neither.
When a bug comes along you report it and continue gaming, or don't bother bug reporting at all and continue gaming.
It's not enjoyable for some, I agree. But if you're not enjoying it right now, do something about it, or do something different.

SardaofChaos
08-23-2012, 08:52 PM
...but listen to us for a change.

I take offense to the assumption that you speak for all of us.

jskinner937
08-24-2012, 07:19 AM
I take offense to the assumption that you speak for all of us.

Did I say I speak for all of us...I said listen to us...All you have to do is check the forum and see that many people are fed up with the bugs. Hence the us as in I by far am not the only one. I also take offense to the forum trolls that try to make their own assumption about the opinion one has or take a line out of context and try to exploit it. Now stop trolling the forums and instead of trying to make an hypocrytical comment, be a contributor.

I take offense that you defend a poor job in producing a product that some people invest money into. I have spent approximately 700USD over the last 2 1/2 years (far more than any other game I own) and the game is not worth that in my opinion anymore and I definitely am not renewing my VIP sub when its up. I for one am not spending anymore money on this game until they fix it, I do like playing the content, just the game mechanics need looked at.

What do you think would happen if all the paying players quit paying and became f2p?

Hendrik
08-24-2012, 07:42 AM
Did I say I speak for all of us...I said listen to us...All you have to do is check the forum and see that many people are fed up with the bugs. Hence the us as in I by far am not the only one. I also take offense to the forum trolls that try to make their own assumption about the opinion one has or take a line out of context and try to exploit it. Now stop trolling the forums and instead of trying to make an hypocrytical comment, be a contributor.

I take offense that you defend a poor job in producing a product that some people invest money into. I have spent approximately 700USD over the last 2 1/2 years (far more than any other game I own) and the game is not worth that in my opinion anymore and I definitely am not renewing my VIP sub when its up. I for one am not spending anymore money on this game until they fix it, I do like playing the content, just the game mechanics need looked at.

What do you think would happen if all the paying players quit paying and became f2p?

We, the players, would be destroying the game we all love to play so much.

Chai
08-24-2012, 07:56 AM

All you have to do is check the forum and see that its the same 20 or so people who have complained loudly and often after every single MOD /update over the years complaining about this one as well. You are not the only one - there are ~19 others.

Ive observed a few people make these kinds of remarks loudly and repeatedly - usually after major game changes - and their next action has pretty much always been to tab back in and play moar DDO after making the claim that they will never spend any more money on it, ever again. When I pulled their cards on this after they all bought the expansion and or paid for epic destinies, hilarity ensued.

Ive seen many predictions of this crazy mass exodus the complainers threaten to produce if they dont get their way. This mass exodus has never occurred. Many of the same complainers were here in beta saying this game wouldnt last 6 months in the wild. Here we are 6 full years later. They have done so after every update, and yet, here we are then.

Krago
08-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Dont close DDO but please fix the bugs.

Although a product recall on software would be a rare treat.

Such755
08-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Leave all other reasons aside, there's always one answer why they will never do such thing:
Money.
Each day DDO is not working, Turbine will lose money. Good enough reson why not to close it.
It can be done exactly the sasme offline, and be put together online for the cost of 1-4, maybe 5-6 hours, and this is how they do it so far. Only that they're not fixing 100% of the things.

I compare Turbine fixing bugs to Science:
You solve one problem, you get 10 more.

Talias006
08-28-2012, 01:53 PM
All you have to do is check the forum and see that many people are fed up with the bugs.

All you really have when you do check the forums is find out that what the Devs say in telling us that the forum goers are the vocal minority 5% of players.
Most players don't use the forums, either because of not caring to look for them, or not knowing they can other than for Release Notes and announcements.

Now stop trolling the forums and instead of trying to make an hypocrytical comment, be a contributor.

So when people tell you that (roughly) the same people have been complaining about the quality of the game for several years and are still playing, they're suddenly being a hypocrite?
I would love for the game to be free of bugs that it would be enjoyable to all, but that's simply not the nature of the beast.
Enjoy it as much as you can, in the ways that you can, for it is ever fleeting.