PDA

View Full Version : Total Newbie to DDO

GTOJudge69
08-21-2012, 11:16 AM
As the title says I'm a total newbie to DDO. I just received a year long paid subscription and the Menace of the Underdark from steam as a gift from a friend. I have been going over forum posts for a couple of hours and determined it would be best if I just made a post and asked the community for some help. I'm looking for good websites to get info, guides and or builds for solo play with no intention of raids etc.

From what I have read and seen planning out your character from the start seems to be very important and this is the reason I'm looking for advice on race/class and or guides for solo play. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

sebastianosmith
08-21-2012, 11:42 AM
First, welcome to the game. :)

Second, the '69 GTO "Judge" edition is one of the most classic muscle cars ever designed. I'm jealous if you have one. Sweet ride.

Third, The best sources of accurate information regarding this game can be found at DDOWiki (http://ddowiki.com/) and the DDO Compendium (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Compendium_Home). Those two will be more than sufficient to get you started.

Forth, the DDO Character Planner (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/) by forum member Ron Hiler is an indispensable tool. Get it. Use it.

Best of luck!

Loromir
08-21-2012, 11:45 AM
As the title says I'm a total newbie to DDO. I just received a year long paid subscription and the Menace of the Underdark from steam as a gift from a friend. I have been going over forum posts for a couple of hours and determined it would be best if I just made a post and asked the community for some help. I'm looking for good websites to get info, guides and or builds for solo play with no intention of raids etc.

From what I have read and seen planning out your character from the start seems to be very important and this is the reason I'm looking for advice on race/class and or guides for solo play. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

The easiest class for someone new to DDO would be Human Fighter using Great Axe or some other 2 handed weapon. Take max str and max con and dump the rest into dex or intel or wis. Get the highest + heavy armor you can find and a false life item. Buy a hireling cleric to follow you around as they will keep you healed.

Another good solo option would be a battle cleric. Take 19 lvls of Cleric and 1 level of Fighter. This will give you self healing and buffing and martial weapon proficiency. Again take the best heavy armor you can find. Take High str and con and dump the rest into wis.

If you want to get a little bit more exotic...roll up an exploiter (Ranger/Rogue & Fighter or Monk) mulitclass. A good split would be 18 Ranger/1 Rogue/1 Fighter or Monk. This would give you decent Melee abilibty, trap skills, Decent Ranged ability & some limited healing and buffing. This class would be a little bit more complex with stat allocation and feat and enhancement selection but is very versatile.

Nebless
08-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of DDO.

2 good spots to start with can be found right here on the forums.
- General DDO Discussion > Helpful Player Resources
- New Player Advice & Guidance > ***Some Helpful Forum Post links for New Players***

Also DDOwiki has a newbie section and a section on F2p adventures and Adventure Packs.

Since you're looking at solo play without raids, it sounds like you're playing style is like mine. Now I didn't do any points planning or anything, just took a stock number Dwarf Barbarian and have been having a blast with it. Unless you're very familiar with D&D or don't mind using someone else's cookie cutter setup, I'd say go my way and just pick stock character's.

Also, figure you'll burn through a few different classes finding what's right for you. Ya being a big mighty bolt lobber sounds good, until some weak a** kobald wipes the floor up with your level 2 toon!

Other than that, go forth, group if offered, especially on Kothos Island and have fun.

Mikula
08-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Hi and welcome to DDO!

If I am understanding you right you are saying you are new but are VIP? If so that opens you up to a ton of fun and interesting solo builds. If you have any idea of the sort of play style you'd like it might help narrow down the sort of build we should suggest.

The big one to look into would be a Wizard 18/Rogue 2. It has its flaws but is a good variety build that can solo the majority of quests. But there are plenty of other choices and even that one has a lot of options depending on race and prestige class.

One of my friends prefers to solo when he can and he has solo'd most the quests with a pure paladin drow two weapon fighter build he got from this thread: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=218542

Artificers, Monks and Druids are also really great for soloing depending on how you build them. Hope that helps!

FrozenNova
08-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Foremost, let's dispell the illusion that DDO is similar to other MMO's, where soloing half the content is practically the norm. DDO is a very social game, and public groups are an important role in the experience. Soloing is an option, for sure, but honestly there are better places for singleplayer. Get used to using the lfm pannel and grouping, is my advice from the start.

Don't touch the premade paths, don't do anything funky with a toon you don't intend to be a throwaway.

I would advise against an 18/2 wizard as a first player exclusively solo. Wizards can solo, but they are reliant on abusing invisibility, charms, and maximally efficient spell damage to get through each quest. I wouldn't call it a beginner orientated playstyle.

Myrrae
08-21-2012, 09:23 PM
WF wizrogues can solo :) They just heal themselves!

My drow necro could solo as well (although learning how to jump around a lot is important!)

Really it comes down to the playstyle you enjoy though. CC vs slashing vs nuking.

How do you like to play?

JasonJi72
08-21-2012, 09:52 PM
I would suggest starting a couple characters, and seeing how you like them.

Play a cleric. There is so much that you will learn by playing a cleric. It really will change the way you play the game on your other characters.

Some of the builds can be quite complex in this game, and depend greatly upon your own playstyle. Play multiple characters, experiment, and never multiclass without knowing what you are gaining and what you are losing.

If you every need help with anything on Thelanis, I am Jyn... of Kender. Look me up.

Cya around the playground! :)

kclark1980
08-21-2012, 10:31 PM
I would like to just say welcome to the game. I am just coming up on my 1 year marker so I still feel a little new to it still. The biggest thing though that I can say is that this game has some wonderful lore and quests. Don't be in a hurry. Enjoy the quests read what the people say to you in the quest boxes. The lore is wonderful on many of the quests. Yes some of them are stupid and boring but there are so many more that are not. I hope you have a wonderful time in the game.

I started with a cleric myself and wished I had taken a level of fighter in with it also. It opens up a lot of usable weapons and tower shields which I found to be a major bonus. Most of all I would say to make sure that you experiment and find out what works best for you and what you enjoy the most. I can comment on my experiences but yours might be different. Don't be afraid to ask questions in the games /advice or /a channel. You can get some snarky answers but there are usually 2 or 3 people that will give you good sound advice. I use www.ddowiki.com all the time and read threw the starter guides regularly. It can be an valuable tool and recourse.

I hope you enjoy the game and if you end up on Argo feel free to say hi to the Sunlit Rose members. Tell them Ashabelinar sent you.

Meetch1972
08-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Welcome to DDO.

Just thinking about your preference for soloing - what is the reason behind it? Just speculating here, but if you're used to certain other MMO's where it takes hours to get anything done, for the most part that is not what DDO is about. Many quests can be done and dusted in minutes. Some may take an hour or three if you've never done them before - while vets breeze through them in times that will sometimes make your head spin. On the other hand, if you're the kind of person that would just prefer their own company when questing, then that's fine and dandy too.

Most people have no issue grouping with new players - as long as they know you're new to it, they'll either say "lol me too!" or make allowances for you. The exception is if you join a veteran oriented group (open up the social panel with O, check the groups tab and avoid things that say BYOH/zerg/know it and you're probably not going to offend then by joining and telling them you're new to the game).

Similarly, with most raids you have to run prerequisites to unlock them, but once you're flagged you can jump on board one that's being formed - I haven't run a number of them, but am unaware of any that take more than 10-20 minutes to get to. If a raid group is running way over level or "only" on normal, then chances are they'll have no trouble with showing you the ropes.

Don't skip the tutorials offered, as they teach a few valuable things about certain mechanics of the game, but have fun - there's plenty to do and try. Oh yes, and seconded, thirded and fourthed for using Ron's character planner. There are plenty of builds posted on these forums that originated from that little software gem.

BOgre
08-22-2012, 12:23 AM
Check this thread here: Revisiting Paths (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=232660)

Many/Most/All of the builds in that guide are a little bit dated, but the information you'll find there is still super valuable. It has a little chart deal on each build, showing you how soloable the build is. It has a little writeup describing the playstyle of each build, and it has some variation ideas on each build, which may help you get the feel for customizing your character. It's not the end-all resource, but it's a good place to start, a decent place to help you decide what class to start with.

As has been said, soloing isn't all it's cracked up to be in DDO. There are builds that can do it very well, but most people use these soloing builds to farm for certain items/ingredients/tokens/etc, rather than as their primary 'play' character.

Here is the build I started with: Unbongwah's Tempest Trapmonkey (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=277496). It is very soloable, and with time and patience can do well at endgame and raiding, despite not being the strongest at ANYTHING. (Oh, and when I say 'started', I do mean I rolled and scrapped 2 or 3 other characters before settling down with this one... Don't be afraid to ReRoll :)).

Finally, this game seems to favor magic users over melee combatants. Casters can kill faster and live longer than the fighting classes, in some cases by a HUGE margin. If you're into playing a magic class, look up some Wizard or Sorcerer builds, particularly the Pale Master builds. Be aware though that the casters are highly backend loaded. You'll be swinging an axe and scraping by for the first 10 levels or so. But after that lookout! Unleash hell :)

Oh, and just a postscript here: my suggestions are ASIDE from the fact that you DO want to get the hang of grouping up as much as possible. Much of the game is soloable, but most of the fun is in groups.

Ssdprref
08-22-2012, 01:09 AM

You have a good friend *o*

Welcome aboard.

Ryan220
08-22-2012, 01:48 AM
Welcome to the game.

Just a couple of points for you....

The game, whilst bugged, isnt as bad as many forum players insist (I dont even notice them) so dont be concerned.

The forum isnt really representative of the playerbase (imo). From my own experience most PuGs are friendly to one and all as long as your honest with them about you experience.

Choose a server whose player base matches your time zone so you have plenty of grouping options

Try and join a good friendly Guild - it makes a world of diffetence when logging on and chatting with friends.

Come on here and ask questions - as many as you like. Most will be happy to offer advice

Soloing can fun when you want a gaurenteed completion, but nothing beats the fun of a PuG (except grouping with Guild friends which is the pinnacle)

For a first class/ race combo id say Warforged Sorcerer Earth Savant - super solo ability and in a group no one expects you to do anything but blast away. This is very important as a first timer. From my own experience, I rolled a FvS as my first serious toon and the responsibilty of a keeping a party alive sucked all the fun out of the game for me.

Above all, have fun. There are a few fools in the game, but the trick is to ignore them and move on

This game is full of enjoyment and has kept me enthralled for two years so far. I hope it does the same for you

Lonnbeimnech
08-22-2012, 02:25 AM
The easiest class for someone new to DDO would be Human Fighter using Great Axe or some other 2 handed weapon. Take max str and max con and dump the rest into dex or intel or wis. Get the highest + heavy armor you can find and a false life item. Buy a hireling cleric to follow you around as they will keep you healed.

Seconded.

Many of the other classes require more game knowledge. Things like dont cast a firewall on the cinderspawn, when to use discoball and when to use web, when to cast freedom of movement and protection from evil, when to cast jump on the cleric, where the trap boxes are and how to get your search skill high enough to find it in the first place. or on an artificer knowing that the guy holding the litII khopesh would prefer silver weapons instead of deadly weapons in pt 4 of the shroud. and on and on.

On a fighter its simple, you aim the pointy bit at the bad guy, even if you do it badly you are still doing it right. This would give you an opportunity to get a feel for the game without much responsibility in a group, and if you keep your eyes open and ask a few questions you learn what to do on other classes.

Nephilia
08-22-2012, 05:17 AM
Easiest build : human fighter swinging around something!

Less easy but fun : a nice warchanter bard to get confidence with spell etc

Not so easy for new player but most powerful build: Warforged Sorc

GTOJudge69
08-22-2012, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the links so far. I'm going through them right now. In response to some statements, I don't plan on solo'ing the game forever, I just don't have the time to group at the moment as a project at work keeps me busy and I have to drop everything I'm doing at a moments notice and I don't want to be in a group when that happens, as I find that as something rude to do to another player.

After watching some video's and doing some reading I think am I leaning towards a classes that can detect and disarm traps. Again I'm not in a hurry to rush through levels and I plan on taking my time to fully enjoy the game. So far the dungeons and quest seem great.

I have an awesome friend shame he doesn't like MMO's. Again thank you for the links and advice so far. I'm taking it all in and reading as much as I can. On another note is there anything that is a "must" to get from the DDO store?

licho
08-22-2012, 07:09 AM
If you have 1year sub, its probably all you need for start. I dont recall any special items from store needed.

As for class suggestion, in my opinion quite beginner/solo friendly are:

Ranger18/1Rogue/1Fighter. (1Fig can be swap to for 1 Monk, and 1 Rogue for 1 Arti)
Ranger is not really the most powerful class at the moment, howeve have some advatages like a lot of free feats - futhermore gets the two weapon fighting feats anyway, even with low dex. Some utylity spells like elemental res or cures. Also have enought skill points to get trap skills and UMD which helps a lot.

Warforged Artificer.
Artificeris not part of sub. :-/ (edit here)
However class is good for soloing, you can easy self heal as arcane WF, kite everything with xbows, do traps, and have some utylity spells. (even more useful stuff than Ranger - which is probably not hard)

Wizard 18/ Rogue 2 Warforged
Its another solo friendly splash, Wizards (and generally casters) are very potent in this game. You again can do traps, self heal with arcane spells, and blast enemies on your path.
Note: Some people complain that this splash is not so easy at low levels, i dont get how its possible, but just informing that some players complain on this build.

Just a 3 calls which come to mind for your request.

Bart_D
08-22-2012, 07:27 AM
Primary suggestion: Start a random character, say an human fighter or elf favored soul or whatever. Try some quests and see what you like. Maybe join some groups, most low-level quests are really easy and going afk for a bit should not really be a problem. The main thing is to try a few types of characters before you commit.

For solo play what you really want is self-healing in some form. To make it easy, I'd try get it from being a divine caster, warforged arcane, palemaster, or halfelf with ceric dilletanate. As a new player, I'd look for something that does not require tons of gear to shine.

If you like to do traps, you'll need at least some rogue or artificer, and sufficient skill points to improve the skills.
- Pure rogue is probably not great for solo play since most of their damage come from sneak attacks which are hard to get solo.
- Splashed rogue should work fine, either as wiz/rogue or (halfelf) exploiter as suggested above. There are other options but those are very popular and should be good solo
- Pure warforged artificer self heal very well with repair spells and are plenty powerful to solo; the dog should be helpful too.
- Splashed artificers... i know less about. They can be mixed many ways.

There are many options (my own trapper is mostly a bard) but for solo'ing a lot i think i'll suggest the pure warforged artificer.

Edit: Mostly the same as Iicho, just slower :)

BOgre
08-22-2012, 11:06 AM
The DDO Store is nice for things like:

Gold Seal Hirelings - couple key advantages over standard hirelings. Used rarely, but can be handy.
Experience elixers - gaining experience boosts is good. Don't worry, you won't be 'missing' parts of the game by gaining XP faster. Most useful after level 15.
Spirit Cakes - meh, it's kinda cheating in my books, but that doesn't mean I don't carry one anyways. Sometimes you just DON'T want to admit defeat.
Shared Bank Slots - You won't need it yet, but eventually you'll want more shared bank space. Save up, wait for them to go on sale.
Character Bank Slots - same as above.
Backpack/Inventory Slot - again same as above.
Character Slot - someday you may have more characters than you have room for.
Favored Soul and Artificer - These can be unlocked through favor, but if you have disposable income, just go ahead and buy them. They're cool.
32 point build - The one and only thing you simply MUST get. Slogging through the game for a year with a first life 28 point build is great and you'll learn the game, but if you can afford it, there's just no reason to torture yourself. go 32 point build from day 1.

Everything else is pure fluff. As a VIP you will likely have more turbinepoints than you'll know what to do with, so save up and buy a nice armor kit or a pet someday...

Auralana7214
08-22-2012, 11:20 AM
On another note is there anything that is a "must" to get from the DDO store?

Firstly, nothing is a must from the DDO Store. On the other hand, the best items in my opinion are the learning tomes. They give you extra xp your entire character's life and last through TR'ing when the time comes. Only buy them if you are sure you will keep the toon you are running because if you delete the toon, the tome will be gone too.

As for a class to level up with, I would always recommend a cleric ;).

Myrrae
08-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Nothing is a must buy, however if you have extra points I'd probably prioritize them for:

32 Point Build - It really makes a difference, especially if you want to play something other than a wizard or sorcerer. ;)
Shared Bank Space - ESPECIALLY if you plan on trying lots of different characters. But even if you're not you can store extra stuff there, and even make 'mule' characters to hold on to stuff you're not sure what you want to do with.
Extra Bag Space - You can get an easy upgrade from Coin Lord Favor for free, but you can also buy two extra bag slots. Having to destroy things to make room for new loot is a pain, especially when you're keeping stuff around because you're not sure what's good.
Extra Bank Space - Detecting a theme? ;) You can also get two extra bank slots from House Kundarak favor, but the extra bank tabs can also help out.
Huge/Large Collectable Bag - I was on an alt last night who only had the starter bags and my inventory was not only small, but filling up with the collectable turn in stuff ;)

That's all I can think of that really jumps out at me about the store, although I often look at their ads and see if anything I want is on sale :p

If you want something that can disarm traps, then I'd probably recommend a Warforged 18 Wizard/2 Rogue. You can check the spellcaster boards for more info on it :)

Meetch1972
08-22-2012, 11:49 PM
If you're going to be casual about it, figure out what you'd like and buy them when they're on special. I'm on premium and have managed to buy almost all adventure packs, extra inventory space, enough extra character slots and bank space, shared bank, races and classes (that can't be earned by running quests for favor) to suit my needs at a 20% or higher discount. That's a lot of turbine points saved, and there are more points waiting for yet another discount.

In terms of items, I've:
* Accidentally bought some guild ship amenities when there was a coupon available which I forgot to apply to make them free after there were a few SNAFUs on guild ships caused by updates - d'oh!
* Acquired maybe 10 Siberys spirit cakes (as BOgre says, for when you refuse to admit defeat), about half of them from the DDO store tutorial you go through on Korthos, and the other half at the going store price.
* Bought a couple of huge bags - items and ingredients, and ...
* Bought the occasional free sample using advertised coupons.

You can permanently unlock such things on the server you play as 32 point builds, veteran status I and II (being able to start future toons on that server at L4 and 7 respectively), favored soul, drow, warforged and possibly other stuff I've missed by just playing the game, so unless you really want them badly, you might just be able to save up all the points they give you every month for if you let the subscription lapse and go f2p or premium. There's even a guide for how to farm turbine points efficiently so you never have to spend any money - just grind away for points. Not my idea of fun, but it's an option. :D

If you spend little during your year's sub and decide to go to the premium/f2p model (I recommend at least going premium by buying a small batch of points when they're giving bonus points) then save what points you can and figure out which adventure packs you want to buy with them, and look out for the better deals. On the other hand, if you love the game enough to throw cash at it, you can continue your subscription or start buying points bundles when the good deals are on to perma-unlock stuff you want.

The worst thing you can do financially is flip-flop between subscription and throwing money at premium. Avoid that and you're fine. :) Have fun with it...