PDA

View Full Version : Even the blind know when they're lying down

Urist
08-14-2012, 04:03 PM
While suffering under a blindness effect, the player character should still be rendered.
Being able to tell where all the parts of your body are doesn't rely on your ability to see them, otherwise blind people would be limited to qwopping around all time time.

I would go so far as to also display "ghosts" of things which you touch (barrels, walls, etc.), or which touch you (melee enemies, etc.).
Blind people can usually tell when they've walked into a wall, too.

TekkenDevil
08-14-2012, 06:33 PM
The ghosting would be some serious graphical feat, but the character rendering is easy.
Still, though, idunno.

It would be like a sleet storm if you give any visibility.

cdbd3rd
08-14-2012, 06:55 PM
While suffering under a blindness effect, the player character should still be rendered.
Being able to tell where all the parts of your body are doesn't rely on your ability to see them, otherwise blind people would be limited to qwopping around all time time.

I would go so far as to also display "ghosts" of things which you touch (barrels, walls, etc.), or which touch you (melee enemies, etc.).
Blind people can usually tell when they've walked into a wall, too.

Reasonable.

Ghost figure should be relatively easy to do. (meaning "easy" in the relative sense...)

Touch reactions would be tougher, tho a possible compromise could be a super-narrow band of light around the characters body. Just enough to illuminate whatever the character is pretty much pressed up against. In the case of an attacking mob, you'd get just enough action in that band of light to see a flurry of movement, but little detail - much like what a blinded character could tell from being attacked.

DDO Store item: Blindfold. Self-debuffed blindness. For when you wanna really challenge yourself in a quest. :D

"Waterworks is so easy, I can solo it blindfolded!" :cool: