PDA

View Full Version : Malchor's Undersun Googles

1jazzz
08-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Malchor's Undersun Googles is rather nice touch to the area, but i found it too annoying to have as it in essence make me lose a slot.

what i propose is to make it upgradeable and raise the ML to 18-20
the upgrades should follow the same ruling as heroic items, not epic or set
either atm i can see it in a few ways:

- add a +6 craft slot(non-upgradeable)

- fixed high tier-effects (+1 exceptional stat, +5 exceptional skill, exception reflex or one of the newer effects like ambushing)

- minor effect that reflects the factions in Ferun(does not constitute as item set)

- clickies, choose 1 spell/boost from a list and let's not be a cheapskate about it; i say 5 charges per rest

- ToD ring slot

- tier 1+2 GS clickie, acc effects only

---------------------
TYVM and i'm looking forward to U15

samthedagger
08-14-2012, 12:40 AM
This is not a bad suggestion, but I will point out that Malchor's Undersun Goggles are incredibly useful, and not just in the Underdark. If you are like most toons, you don't have anything to put on your goggles slot except Tharne's (if you are lucky), greensteel (if you have grinded it), or the goggles of insight from Korthos (which is pathetic but true). And my greensteel is my SP item, so I just put it on before I shrine, then take it off after I buff. I lose Conc Opp, but oh well.

Anyway, Malchor's lets you see mobs far far away in dark places and vastly expands your field of vision, plus it outlines and starkly contrasts enemies (even if they aren't active or "sleeping"). If you play the game with maximum draw distance this is a huge advantage in large open areas.

I am all for an upgrade-ability to an already great item, but I think you might be underselling them a bit.

1jazzz
08-14-2012, 01:50 AM
i do feel that the upgrade should be better than what i suggested, but i don't feel it's necessary; it just need a little more boost then letting you see. keep in mind that it's only use is in the underdark.

there's no effect in quests like "rainbow in the dark"

for the most part high end (none GS)goggles provide truesight, or a +6 stat, the suggestion i gave will not overshadow those items and it shouldn't since we get the goggles free from the npc

Ravoc-DDO
08-14-2012, 02:13 PM
I trashed that thing 2s after I acquired it. Utterly useless.

Thrudh
08-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Anyway, Malchor's lets you see mobs far far away in dark places and vastly expands your field of vision, plus it outlines and starkly contrasts enemies (even if they aren't active or "sleeping"). If you play the game with maximum draw distance this is a huge advantage in large open areas.

Never used it outside the Underdark... So it's useful in other areas too?

oradafu
08-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Never used it outside the Underdark... So it's useful in other areas too?

It doesn't work in Rainbow or at least it didn't when I tried about a month after MOTU was released.

===

As for the OP, something I'd like to see done with the Undersun Goggles would be something a bit different. I'd like to be able to put the Undersun Goggles and another pair of googles (i.e. Goggles X) into a altar and combine the two items into a new items (or Goggles X with Undersun). Allow this to be done with any goggles. Of course, I would change it so that the Undersun Goggles would cost something, probably a commendation.

I would also like to see the same thing done with the Boots of Anchoring. Put the Boots of Anchoring into an altar with any pair of boots and get a new pair boots with the Anchoring property on it.

This could also be done for any other future mechanic that forces players to give up a slot. Yes, yes, I know... Hard choices and all that jazz... but sometimes it just not fun to play the game if you have rearrange all your slots from quest to quest... it's not fun when you forget the "necessary" item in the bank... etc etc... Besides, isn't DDO bragging about customization, but it stinks when everyone has the same equipment all the time and these items are forced onto you

marb
08-14-2012, 06:09 PM
I don't think it would be gamebreaking or overpowered, but I always thought they should be lenses you could put on over your normal goggles. Kind of like the sunglasses that clip on the front of your normal prescription glasses.