PDA

View Full Version : 28 pt ranger build HELP!!

McQuiggan1978
08-13-2012, 09:59 AM
I am wanting to build a ranger that does great damage and survive. I'm also wanting to stick with mainly using bows. I need some advice pls. I was thinking about going with 18 str 14 dex 12 con and the rest at 10 on my Drow hunter. what do you think about this ?

FrozenNova
08-13-2012, 10:35 AM
I am wanting to build a ranger that does great damage and survive. I'm also wanting to stick with mainly using bows. I need some advice pls. I was thinking about going with 18 str 14 dex 12 con and the rest at 10 on my Drow hunter. what do you think about this ?

"Great damage"
"Bows"
"Ranger"

You have your work cut out for you.

Make it human. While elves can grab +2/2 hit/dam with longbows, this doesn't match up to human damage boost, as rangers have no combat boosts of their own - not to mention the extra hitpoints, healing amp, feat, and skillpoint, that human has going for them.
16 str, 16 dex, 15 con - or if you prefer, 14 con, dropping the two spare in int or wis.
You'll need to use levelup points in Dex in order to be able to take Combat archery. How many is dependant on what value of tome you're willing to wait for, as combat archery requires a base dex of 21.

Feats require some juggling.
As a human, you have ten, including epic feats.
Point blank shot, weapon focus: ranged, mental toughness, are all needed for arcane archer.
Improved Critical: Ranged, Toughness, and Combat archery, are things you can't really skip.
That leaves us with four free feats, from a list similar to this:
- Precision is a good choice, as it works with ranged
- Improved critical: slashing is useful to bump up your melee damage (which you will want to bump up)
- Power Attack is worth considering, adding more melee damage than precision, but bear in mind that precision and PA can't be on at the same time.
- Khopesh would be nice too, otherwise you'll have to get by mostly on scimitars
- Maximize is valuable as it makes your cures meaningful
- Quicken would be nice to have to make your cures more reliable and practical mid fight - but it's a low contender compared to some other feats on the list.

I think personally I'd go for precision, imp crit, maximize and khopesh, with the lineup looking like this:
1) point blank shot
1h) weapon focus: ranged
3) toughness
6) mental toughness
9) improved critical: ranged
12) improved critical: slashing
15) maximize
18) khopesh
21) combat archery
24) precision
But then I haven't played a pure ranger AA, so I can't say I've tried it.

PNellesen
08-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Yeeeeaaaaahhhhhh....

My first Ranger was a similar build (Elf instead of Drow, but also 28pt), with similar goals. It didn't work out very well and I LR'd him to a Tempest build instead, restricting bow usage primarily to Manyshot, which CAN be some nice DPS for a very brief time. (EDIT: see post below mine - I based the LR on a variant of the first link in that post)

I've not played an Arcane Archer, so won't comment on them, but my understanding is that it's difficult to make a good one with only 28pt build.

BOgre
08-13-2012, 10:58 AM
What you're asking for isn't possible at 28pts. You CAN make a decent ranger, but you will have to modify your expectations. Your bow will be on at most only half the time, and your damage will be good but not great.

Eventually, with a couple past lives under your belt from other classes, and some top tier Gear, you'll be able to build a 36 point Ranger, mainly bows, with very good damage and supreme survivability.

Here's where to start:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=277496

and Here's where to go after that:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=263907

Good Luck.

FrozenNova
08-13-2012, 11:10 AM
No reason you can't do an AA on only 28pts, they only need three stats after all. 32pt might give you 20 more hp or equivalent, but nothing more, realistically. It's the past lives that make the difference, not the point buy; three monk lives and three ranger lives give you a combined +9 damage with your bow (which, I think, is as ridiculous as to be on par with the +9 spell penetration from wizard/fvs lives).

BOgre
08-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Yes, it's not merely the fact of having only 28 points, it's more the fact of only being on a 1st life, and also not having access to a few key tomes, IMO....

Aliss7
08-13-2012, 12:46 PM
My first AA ranger was a 28pt build following Pwesiela's build. IME, it's workable; I mean, I did it, how bad can it be :). Play accordingly.

My next lives, I dropped the finesse (you'll want to keep up both STR & DEX) and between maximize and quicken, I've personally settled on quicken.

Good luck. It takes time and gearing and experience to make a good ranged ranger, but the journey is part of the fun, at least for me.

unbongwah
08-13-2012, 01:31 PM
The main drawback to playing an archer in DDO is the relatively slow firing rate of bows. There are ways of boosting it - Manyshot, 10K Stars (req's monk lvl 6+), alacrity bonuses like ftr or rgr capstone - but usually there are times when you'll have better DPS from melee than bows, particularly if playing a pure(ish) ranger. You can be one of those archers who refuses to put away their bow, of course, but expect to take some player hate for that, esp. if you're kiting some mob when you could just be stabbing them in the face.

Also, if you play an elf, you can take the racial Arcane Archer PrE instead of the rgr PrE, which gives you a lot more flexibility when building an AA, even as a F2P player. [See my Bardcher, Triple A, and Radiant Archer threads for unconventional AA builds.] If you go with any of the non-elven/-HE races - inc. drow, ironically - you're basically stuck with going for at least rgr lvl 18; otherwise you miss out on the higher-level imbues, in particular Slayer Arrows.

Finally, if you're playing any sort of ranged build, you should be aiming for the Combat Archery (http://ddowiki.com/page/Combat_Archery) epic feat (unless you plan to TR as soon as you hit lvl 20), which requires base DEX 21; how you hit that is up to you (e.g., base 17 + 2 lvl-ups + 2 tome).

Now, all that said, I don't wish to discourage you from playing a drow AA; it's still possible to put together a respectable one with minimal resources. Just bear in mind that (A) it's not considered an optimal choice for an archer and as such (B) there are times where you'll be expected to put away the bow and pull out your blades for better DPS.

McQuiggan1978
08-14-2012, 01:23 PM
I thank you all for the great advice. I am surprized by all the comments so quickly!! From the looks of what all of you are saying I think im gonna wait on the ranger till I TR then make one. So now i have another delemma , What to make now? At the moment i have a lvl 10 custom benedictine healer. I love being a healer but it sucks trying to solo unless i get a hire or sstay on normal setting.I tried a wiz, rogue, fighter, and a sorc up to lvl 4 and also tried a rogue/ranger who is currently at 2 and so far I dont have a clue whaich one im gonna stay with. In shaiya and lotro when i played them I really enjoyed healing and magic toons but as you all know this isnt those games. After testing the waters I would like to be a sorc but theyre so squishy that I real fast.

McQuiggan1978
08-14-2012, 01:25 PM
"Great damage"
"Bows"
"Ranger"

You have your work cut out for you.

Make it human. While elves can grab +2/2 hit/dam with longbows, this doesn't match up to human damage boost, as rangers have no combat boosts of their own - not to mention the extra hitpoints, healing amp, feat, and skillpoint, that human has going for them.
16 str, 16 dex, 15 con - or if you prefer, 14 con, dropping the two spare in int or wis.
You'll need to use levelup points in Dex in order to be able to take Combat archery. How many is dependant on what value of tome you're willing to wait for, as combat archery requires a base dex of 21.

Feats require some juggling.
As a human, you have ten, including epic feats.
Point blank shot, weapon focus: ranged, mental toughness, are all needed for arcane archer.
Improved Critical: Ranged, Toughness, and Combat archery, are things you can't really skip.
That leaves us with four free feats, from a list similar to this:
- Precision is a good choice, as it works with ranged
- Improved critical: slashing is useful to bump up your melee damage (which you will want to bump up)
- Power Attack is worth considering, adding more melee damage than precision, but bear in mind that precision and PA can't be on at the same time.
- Khopesh would be nice too, otherwise you'll have to get by mostly on scimitars
- Maximize is valuable as it makes your cures meaningful
- Quicken would be nice to have to make your cures more reliable and practical mid fight - but it's a low contender compared to some other feats on the list.

I think personally I'd go for precision, imp crit, maximize and khopesh, with the lineup looking like this:
1) point blank shot
1h) weapon focus: ranged
3) toughness
6) mental toughness
9) improved critical: ranged
12) improved critical: slashing
15) maximize
18) khopesh
21) combat archery
24) precision
But then I haven't played a pure ranger AA, so I can't say I've tried it.

I like your suggetion thanks