PDA

View Full Version : Trap the soul

goodoldxelos
08-05-2012, 07:13 PM
please remove the 30HD cap, or as a suggestion make a level 9 version that goes to greater than 30HD.

CaptainSpacePony
08-05-2012, 08:40 PM
of just rework the whole spell. It's frankly too complicated to mess with.

1jazzz
08-05-2012, 08:49 PM
i just want the wep property to have a higher proc rate of the current 1%

kilagan800
08-06-2012, 02:56 PM
of just rework the whole spell. It's frankly too complicated to mess with.

I love this spell and use it often. I don't see how it can be complicated.

dterror
08-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Remove this spell from all items that have it, replace it with some other instakill effect on items.

Goregnash
08-07-2012, 08:39 AM
LitII weapons proc at 4% I think and obviously they are not an instakill proc. At first glance it seems pretty balanced to me since LitII isnt instakill for trash mobs but it does work with some effect on Bosses despite most having elemental resistances.

dterror
08-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Doesn't matter how often it procs, TtS has no business being on any weapon or any other item considering that relatively rare spell components are required for the best version of the spell.

Goregnash
08-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Doesn't matter how often it procs, TtS has no business being on any weapon or any other item considering that relatively rare spell components are required for the best version of the spell.

I can't speculate on how often a random lootgen item takes on an instakill proc, but I can tell you that those bonuses are pretty pricy on tier 3 crafted items. I don't play a caster, but If you have to pay even 10k pp for 100 spell components to cast it I'd consider yourself lucky.

Are you saying instakill procs should only be available to caster classes?

dterror
08-07-2012, 09:15 AM
I can't speculate on how often a random lootgen item takes on an instakill proc, but I can tell you that those bonuses are pretty pricy on tier 3 crafted items. I don't play a caster, but If you have to pay even 10k pp for 100 spell components to cast it I'd consider yourself lucky.

Are you saying instakill procs should only be available to caster classes?

Not at all. i stated that TtS procs should be replaced with some other instakill. I'm just saying that TtS should be caster only.

Goregnash
08-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Not at all. i stated that TtS procs should be replaced with some other instakill. I'm just saying that TtS should be caster only.

You've got a good point there related to cost to cast for TtS.

At risk of being flamed by all community casters I would also say that I think specific spells like that should be alignment based with a comparable instakill on both sides of the spectrum for diversity, so an instakill like slay living which could be considered humane would be appropriate for a good aligned chartacter where TtS would be available to only evil aligned characters due to the nature of the effect.

I don't recall how it was handled in p&p, its been nearly 15 years since I played it.

Gizeh
08-07-2012, 09:41 AM

In my opinion Trap the Soul should only be restricted to casters if soul gems were removed from cannith crafting recipes.

sireric
08-07-2012, 09:50 AM
I love this spell and use it often. I don't see how it can be complicated.

agree. I use it in Let sleeping dust lie to great effect. The fact that it is a will save means it almost always hits on those ogres.

goodoldxelos
08-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Change the spell to have 1 version and remove the cap. I shouldn't have to play a guessing game with how many hitdie a monster has using CR as a rough estimate. No reason a level 7 spell finger of death, can potentially kill a higher CR monster than trap the soul a level 8 spell.

dterror
08-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Change the spell to have 1 version and remove the cap. I shouldn't have to play a guessing game with how many hitdie a monster has using CR as a rough estimate. No reason a level 7 spell finger of death, can potentially kill a higher CR monster than trap the soul a level 8 spell.

I don't bother playing the 'guessing game'...I just work on crunching every khyber I get until all i've got are averages, and then only cast the 30hd version.

goodoldxelos
08-15-2012, 07:32 PM
I don't bother playing the 'guessing game'...I just work on crunching every khyber I get until all i've got are averages, and then only cast the 30hd version.

That's not justification to leave things the way it is. Simplify the spell, at the very least have 2 versions <20HD/CR and >20HD/CR (should use CR since its visually given). Also, after a certain part in the game you can just take the lower version off the toolbar.

CaptainSpacePony
08-15-2012, 07:37 PM
... I shouldn't have to play a guessing game with how many hitdie a monster has using CR as a rough estimate.

That's what I meant by complicated.

danzig138
08-16-2012, 02:23 AM
so an instakill like slay living which could be considered humane would be appropriate for a good aligned chartacter where TtS would be available to only evil aligned characters due to the nature of the effect.So good guys should get the spell that actually kills, and bad guys should get the spell that shoves you in a gem, but if it's broken, you're all reformed and alive?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trapTheSoul.htm

DDO TtS needs work, but not alignment-based changes.

goodoldxelos
08-18-2012, 03:12 PM
i do enjoy this spell but I'd love to hear what dev thoughts are on it

goodoldxelos
08-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Can we keep this thread going, I want to see this spell updated.

danotmano1998
08-23-2012, 06:38 PM

Yes.

Why in the name of Hades do I have to guess which mob has which HD and which portion of what kind of shard do I need???

Suggestion(s):
One spell component. Period. Pick one and stick with it.
One version of the spell. Period. Pick one and stick with it.

goodoldxelos
09-30-2012, 08:46 AM
This thread needs to stay alive until this changes.

No HD cap and 1 version

DanteEnFuego
09-30-2012, 09:01 AM
This thread needs to stay alive until this changes.

No HD cap and 1 version

It is alive... It is just trapped in a soul gem in my ingredients bag...

varusso
09-30-2012, 09:14 AM
You realize of course that the dev "solution" will be to make the spell only the highest version, using only the most expensive component -- effectively forcing everyone into the same "solution" that many players already use. :rolleyes:

goodoldxelos
09-30-2012, 09:26 AM
You realize of course that the dev "solution" will be to make the spell only the highest version, using only the most expensive component -- effectively forcing everyone into the same "solution" that many players already use. :rolleyes:

The HD cap is what most frustrates me so that would be a step in the right direction.