PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Dopant

slarden
08-01-2012, 06:36 PM
how about adding yellow dopant to the ddo store. It's not like we are buying some huge advantage in quests, I just want to break down obsolete greensteel such as my triple negative items.

Flavilandile
08-02-2012, 01:50 AM
yet another Dopant thread. *grins*

A lot of us would prefer to have it added to the Eberron Cell vendor in Meridia, for a high price.

It would do two things :
- make the Dopant available
- become a money sink at least for a while

Now any option that make the Dopant available is good from my point of view.

Right now it's drop rate is beyond stupid, and if it stay that way all the time spent on developping Greensteel Deconstruction will be wasted Dev time as people will get several replacement items by the time they manage to get a Dopant to deconstruct the item they wanted to replace.

PNellesen
08-02-2012, 05:36 AM
/signed

We need MORE threads suggesting ways to make Yellow Dopant easier to obtain, not fewer (even if they repeat things that have been already suggested.) Why did they even bother spending what must have been quite a bit of dev time on Greensteel deconstruction if nobody is ever going to be able to use it?

Modulex
08-02-2012, 11:00 AM
I haven't ran Shroud that often, but still have seen it drop a couple of times, once for myself. Is it really that rare lol ?

PNellesen
08-02-2012, 11:16 AM
I haven't ran Shroud that often, but still have seen it drop a couple of times, once for myself. Is it really that rare lol ?

Random number generator is random, but I've probably run 6 Shrouds since the update now, with 4 characters on 2 different servers (Orien and Ghallanda), and haven't seen it drop once for anybody, nor has anyone in the groups I've been in seen it drop in any Shrouds they've been in, nor do they know anyone else who has. I've been asking about it in every Shroud I run since they announced it.

visibleman
08-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Add it to the 20th completion rewards list. That will keep it rare but guarantee availability.

QuartermasterX
08-02-2012, 12:11 PM
how about adding yellow dopant to the ddo store. It's not like we are buying some huge advantage in quests, I just want to break down obsolete greensteel such as my triple negative items.

I agree... in fact we are adding Yellow Dopant to the DDO Store for Update 15 (tentatively August 20th)! More detailed information will be provided when it becomes available through the DDO Store Sales & Promo Page prior to U15 deployment.

Shmuel
08-02-2012, 12:14 PM
I agree... in fact we are adding Yellow Dopant to the DDO Store for Update 15 (tentatively August 20th)! More detailed information will be provided when it becomes available through the DDO Store Sales & Promo Page prior to U15 deployment.

Are you planning on adding any way to get the dopant in-game that isn't absurdly difficult or unlikely as well?

Milikki
08-02-2012, 12:20 PM
How about making it a favor level purchase item for 12 favor at the 250 level. Make it expensive, hard to get, but available if you speed the time to grind. Sorry for typos, hate typing on a phone.

Dolphious
08-02-2012, 12:28 PM

Wow really? I hope that isn't the extent of the changes to the availability of GS decon. The store is suppose to be a convenience thing not a way to get hard to aquire gear. E.g. you sell small/medium ings in the store, but not larges, so if Dopant is going to be sold in the store it should really have in-game availability closer to small/medium ings, not much more rare than larges.

PNellesen
08-02-2012, 12:34 PM

This is a good start - thank you :)

Wow really? I hope that isn't the extent of the changes to the availability of GS decon. The store is suppose to be a convenience thing not a way to get hard to aquire gear. E.g. you sell small/medium ings in the store, but not larges, so if Dopant is going to be sold in the store it should really have in-game availability closer to small/medium ings, not much more rare than larges.

I agree with this, though I would settle for it having the same drop rate as the most prevalent large ingredient (and it should appear as an end reward with about the same frequency)

THAC0
08-02-2012, 12:43 PM

good to know....

HalfORCastrator
08-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Please increase the droprate of the Yellow Dopant to Large Devil Scale rates, and have it show up in 20th Shroud list.

Ertay
08-02-2012, 12:51 PM

Could you please consider adjusting the horrible droprate before you start selling it in the store at least? The current one seems to be so low it might as well be completeley nonexistant, having waited for shroud deconstruction for years this feels like a complete rip-off.

Tirisha
08-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Are you planning on adding any way to get the dopant in-game that isn't absurdly difficult or unlikely as well?

nope by the time you get a dophant to decon your GS you'll have enough larges to gear out 4 more toons unless you buy it in the store:p

Eladiun
08-02-2012, 01:10 PM

Shocker... make an ingredient for a requested feature super rare and then add it to the store to further soak players. I would never have thunk it.

Bloodyfury
08-02-2012, 01:14 PM

Let's hope you guys are not crazy enough to put that around 1000pts cuz there's no way I'm gonna pay 10$ to deconstruct a crappy GS...

Havok.cry
08-02-2012, 01:14 PM
If this is what you are doing instead of increasing the drop rate to an accessible level, then I have to close my wallet. I was premium, but I bought all the packs and bought many other things as well. I will miss playing with my friends in any new content that comes out, as I will not be TP grinding either.

redspecter23
08-02-2012, 01:17 PM

If this were to have been handled in some other way, this could have been quite good news indeed. However, not a single mention has been made anywhere, by anyone at Turbine regarding the current drop rate on Yellow Dopant. It is considered by many to be far too low. This may or may not be working as intended, but no information has been given on that yet. Hopefully you can see how that lack of communication combined with this new insight that the Dopant will soon be coming to the DDO store equates to an epic transparency fail for Turbine.

If the original intention was to have the Yellow Dopant function similar to Lesser/Greater Hearts of Wood, in that the drop rate is very low, but the DDO store is for convenience, then saying that right off the start would have kept confusion to a minimum.

Xaxx
08-02-2012, 01:33 PM

so .005% drop rate or ddo store... why didnt you guys just bite the pr bullet to begin with and just put it only in ddo store rather than the farce of *look it drops in game*

bbqzor
08-02-2012, 01:36 PM

I gotta agree with a lot of folks here. I'm not against it being in the store. But I am against it migrating to the store with no word about its in-game performance.

I understand as the QM you aren't able to comment on that per se, but please pass along our comments here: It appears to be not dropping appropriately in the quest. With even LDS appearing at around a 16% rate, having the Dopant appearing at something like 1-2% (estimate from reports) is essentially useless.

It is either bugged and not dropping like it should, or if the "1%" is intentional it is in need of an adjustment up.

This isn't like Hearts where any chest can drop them, it has to be farmed out of one chest. And while I am happy that people who want to use it will have the option of buying decon on the store, those who want to obtain it in game shouldn't need to do so much farming they could have just made a new item instead. Which is the current case, making them largely pointless.

It should be something like 5% per chest. Thus, on all normals you might get one over your 20 runs, same as the end reward option. And with Elites, you could come across one much faster with 3 chests per raid. It also means that most raids, someone in the raid will get one, giving the sense that they are actually out there and perhaps allowing a market for them. And finally, it makes sense to put it on the 20th list since it is essentially replacing an Essence of Cleansing. For people who've already farmed one, that seems fair.

Thanks for listening and hopefully that made sense. Its nice to see the store offering more utilitarian options, but it should never be a virtual requirement for advancement. Even at the suggested rates, having a shortcut in the store to avoid spending time farming at all would be prized I'm sure, given the people most in need of dopants are also the people least likely to gain anything else from shroud, with the most desire to move on from running it anymore. Cheers, and thanks.

danotmano1998
08-02-2012, 01:40 PM

Or, you could just add it into the Meridia vendor standing right next to the altar.

Please don't add in a mechanic like GS decon, which we begged for, then kick us in the tarhooties by making it absurdly difficult to get, THEN offer to put it in the store to "fix" the problem.

This isn't fixing anything, it's giving us a cash workaround to a system that should have never happened the way it did. It's quite insulting.

Thank you!

Barazon
08-02-2012, 01:40 PM

How about you MAKE IT DROP IN THE SHROUD LIKE YOU SAID INITIALLY?!

sephiroth1084
08-02-2012, 01:41 PM
You had better also be dramatically increasing the droprate for it in The Shroud, with higher rates on hard and elite, and probably also should be adding it to Shroud end rewards, automatically including it on Shroud 20th reward lists, and sticking it in the chests for Devil Assault (elite and epic difficulties), as well as for the end chest(s) in Tower of Despair.

It's utterly ridiculously that the community had been clamoring for greensteel deconstruction since the raid came out four years ago, and that when we finally get it, it requires a super-duper-rare drop and only returns half of our ingredients. It needs to be much closer to a 30-50% drop rate in the end chests, or around a 20%, but returns as many ingredients as went into the crafting originally (12 for single shards, 24 for double).

robdrew
08-02-2012, 01:59 PM
I have been in MANY shrouds and i ask every time if anyone has seen a yellow dopant. The answer is always no but they have heard of a person getting one once. So its supposed to be a drop but never drops. And now its going to be added to the ddo store for sale??? It almost seems as if your are releasing things now under the pretense that we dont have to buy them but in the end the only reasonable way to get them IS to buy them.

My concerns continue to pile up.

Barazon
08-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Right now, it is not even a 1% drop rate from what I'm seeing. I've run elite shroud about 5 times, maybe another 5 hards and 10 normal, and no one in any party has gotten one. That's a total of 20 end chests, a 50% chance for the part 4 chest, plus a 50% chance for one extra chest on hard, plus another 50% chance for 2 chests on elite, times 12 people. So ( 20 + 10 + 2.5 + 5 ) * 12 = 450 chances, and not one drop. I haven't seen it in any end reward list, including a 20th run. If it was even a 1% chance I should have seen 4 or 5 by now, and had about a 1/3 chance of getting one myself. Since I haven't seen even one, the drop rate is probably 0.1% or less.

Eladiun
08-02-2012, 02:08 PM
We should also have cleaning stones and LDS's added to the store. I mean why take half measures let's go all out.

Flavilandile
08-02-2012, 02:10 PM

Thanks, though I hope it's only the first step in getting the Yellow Dopant more widely available.

There's been many suggestions on ways to make it easier to get ( 20th Reward, High price in vendor, ... ) please while having it in store is great, having it also somewhere relatively reliable in game without the need of TPs would be great. ( Personally, I don't care as long as they are available reliably somewhere, I'm a VIP and I can afford to buy TPs from time to time when my monthly 500 is not enough, but others do care and don't have the possibilities my bank account gives me. :D )

bbqzor
08-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Right now, it is not even a 1% drop rate from what I'm seeing. I've run elite shroud about 5 times, maybe another 5 hards and 10 normal, and no one in any party has gotten one. That's a total of 20 end chests, a 50% chance for the part 4 chest, plus a 50% chance for one extra chest on hard, plus another 50% chance for 2 chests on elite, times 12 people. So ( 20 + 10 + 2.5 + 5 ) * 12 = 450 chances, and not one drop. I haven't seen it in any end reward list, including a 20th run. If it was even a 1% chance I should have seen 4 or 5 by now, and had about a 1/3 chance of getting one myself. Since I haven't seen even one, the drop rate is probably 0.1% or less.

It auto-gathers, so doesn't show in the loot table for anyone who has auto-gather turned on when they loot it. Also, from what I understand it only drops in the end chest(s), not 50% in part 4; you have to complete to try for one. Assuming that is correct, it means:

You've looted 15 elite chests, 10 hard chests, 10 normal chests, 35 total end chests. At 1% chance drop, theres ~70% cumulative chance you'd have not seen one personally yet, which is within normal deviation. This highlights exactly why 1% is far too low. Even at 2% theres still a ~49% cumulative chance you'd have not seen one... after 35 attempts at the chest we really ought to be seeing better than 50/50 odds. This is why I say 1-2% is just far too low.

However, even at 1% rate, theres only a ~1.5% cumulative chance that no one from those raids has seen one yet... meaning likely at least one dropped somewhere and was auto-gathered by another member of the party. They may not even know they got one until they go through their bags. I'm sure you are unable to contact all 11 other people from 20 raids, but I'm sure one of them got lucky on it even if it wasn't in the log due to gather. Its unfortunate the implementation works this way, its made collecting data difficult, but those rates fit with what I've read online and seen in game, sadly.

At 5% rate per chest, you start hitting an individual 50/50 chance after 13-14 chests, which could be as little as 5 elite runs. After 20 normals, you are stastically likely to have looted at least one yourself. This 5-20 raids for a dopant is pretty reasonable, given ingredient drop rates, raid completion rates, and relative value to other events such as MA/LoB or Caught in the Web (the most recent/current models for drop rates). If it also showed up in the 20th reward list, I would say thats a very fair implementation for newcomers and old hats alike: offering new folks a fair chance to pick one up on their way to 20 where they can grab an essence and make a dual shard item with the option to redo it; while old hats can run 10-20 runs, pick up a few with a little luck to decon some of their old gear, and move on to moving on.

Hopefully that explains better where I'm getting numbers from, and makes it clear for QM et al that some sort of adjustment is needed on the drop rate.

Putting in the store is fine, people being able to shortcut 5-20 completions for an item (being that they also give up the other loot from those runs) is fine considering the long time frame involved with a 3 day lockout. But when its essentially circumventing 30, 50, 100, etc runs... thats just too much time to really allow a shortcut on. I mean it takes a year to do 100 shroud runs, allowing a "buy"pass for a years time is a bit offensive to those unwilling or unable to simply pay for it. Thanks.

Cetus
08-02-2012, 03:29 PM

What a HATABLE move...

Its a visceral nausea that stems from the overt money-hungriness you are revealing with that move. Do you realize how unrealistic it is to get our long saught after deconstruction to work? So, you just make it available with a credit card swipe.

Pathetic.

Vargouille
08-02-2012, 03:58 PM
At this time, Yellow Dopant can drop in Shroud end chests and Devil Assault, with higher drop rates on higher difficulties.

Eladiun
08-02-2012, 04:00 PM
At this time, Yellow Dopant can drop in Shroud end chests and Devil Assault, with higher drop rates on higher difficulties.

Multiple elite guild shrouds and we have yet to see one. Did you guys use Turbine math to set the drop rate?

PNellesen
08-02-2012, 04:07 PM

You mind quoting what that drop rate is? Because from the looks of things, it's as close to zero as you can get without actually being zero...

bbqzor
08-02-2012, 04:08 PM

Emphasis mine... any chance of something slightly more clarifying? I understand you can't give out exact rates or anything... but saying it can drop there is (on some level) similar to saying "+4 tomes can drop in tod normal". Sure, they can, but its certainly not something you'll see in 20, 40, or even 80 runs in a repeatable fashion. And other than "winning the proverbial dopant lottery" thats the issue; currently people cannot go meaningfully collect a couple to use in a repeatable, manageable fashion.

Something like "you might see one every dozen runs" or "on elite shroud with 3 chests you'd see one before 20th" or something of that nature? Basically, right now all we hear as players is "its on the loot table" which doesn't do much to assuage distress over futility in trying to pull one (or more likely, pull several). At least point us to what ballpark we're in, so we can have reasonable expectations.

Once people know what they're looking at, there will be a lot less doom over the situation. Furthermore, it will be easier to offer feedback on it, as right now theres simply not enough dropping to really impact the game at all. For practical purposes as an individual, it may as well not drop... and thats the source of vitriol over the store move. Thanks.

Faent
08-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Let's hope you guys are not crazy enough to put that around 1000pts cuz there's no way I'm gonna pay 10$ to deconstruct a crappy GS...

Let's remember who broke our GS in the first place. Now they want to charge us to return a portion of the ingredients we lost when they broke our items. Oh the irony.

PNellesen
08-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Let's remember who broke our GS in the first place. Now they want to charge us to return a portion of the ingredients we lost when they broke our items. Oh the irony.

EXACTAMUNDO!

In my opinion, every player who had ANY Greensteel item should have received one free Yellow Dopant, if only for the changes that were made to immunities...

fabhpk
08-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Multiple elite guild shrouds and we have yet to see one.

Same here, quite a few elite runs and no one got a dopant...

EllisDee37
08-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Yellow Dopants drop so rarely that it's easier to farm a second ToD ring of the same type than to use a dopant to clear the one you already have, and the solution to this is to add dopants to the store?

Turbine disgusts me.

Elaril
08-02-2012, 05:09 PM

Sure, ok.

Scraap
08-02-2012, 05:10 PM

Very poor form given current drop-rates.

You're already charging for access to pulls, and the capacity to generate the items used with the things.

This amounts to selling outcomes.

Adimonicous
08-02-2012, 05:15 PM
As rare as this item is even if I got one I wouldn't want to use it. I would have to believe it is not dropping as intended or hasn't even been implemented into the game yet. Sounds as though they will be adding it to the ddo store for U15 so untill then I wouldn't expect to see them at all.

sephiroth1084
08-02-2012, 05:18 PM
As in, since dopants were released, or as of today's update? I've seen zero in about a dozen hard Shrouds, and three elites for anyone in those raids, and haven't seen any in a half dozen EH Devil Assaults. That's 3 chests for the hards * 12 runs * 12 people = 432 chances + 3 chests *3 runs * 12 people for the elites = 540.

0/540 is an absolutely unreasonable drop rate, so unless you've changed something today, you need to go back to the game and make some serious adjustments.

Nick_RC
08-02-2012, 05:20 PM
So they set terrible drop rates initially, making store bought far far easier to get. Everyone thinks they should buy store stuff. Turbine rakes it in. Then they adjust the drop rate up after the initial money grab. And try and claim 'good guy' points. Smart bet is to just wait it out.

This will happen.

Pathetic.

Eladiun
08-02-2012, 05:21 PM
As in, since dopants were released, or as of today's update? I've seen zero in about a dozen hard Shrouds, and three elites for anyone in those raids, and haven't seen any in a half dozen EH Devil Assaults. That's 3 chests for the hards * 12 runs * 12 people = 432 chances + 3 chests *3 runs * 12 people for the elites = 540.

0/540 is an absolutely unreasonable drop rate, so unless you've changed something today, you need to go back to the game and make some serious adjustments.

Also, odds are good that someone would pull one that didn't need it in the month plus since the update and would have posted it for trade while it's value is highest. This has also failed to occur...

HungarianRhapsody
08-02-2012, 05:23 PM

Putting the Yellow Dopant in the store when there is such an astoundingly low drop rate in the game really does smell like "pay to win" to me.

I like your game. I like a lot of the things that you guys have been doing. Why do you keep coming up with new reasons for me to want to stop giving you money?

danotmano1998
08-02-2012, 05:37 PM

Well that's good to know.
I guess the entire forum base must be incredibly unlucky then.

Care to shed some light as to why this is even implemented as a rare drop?
Come on guys, get real.

Barazon
08-02-2012, 05:47 PM

A 0.001% chance is technically higher than a 0.0001% chance, but they are both still useless drop rates. Right now I have 481 completions across all my toons, and from what I've seen, I could double that and probably not get a yellow dopant.

Dendrix
08-02-2012, 05:57 PM
How many Yellow Dopants have dropped per server since the release of U14?

Eladiun
08-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Come on guys, get real.

Good question I don't see why this should be more rare than a Supreme Shard .

Raist1280
08-02-2012, 06:05 PM

I think the complaint is more a matter of either it's bugged and not dropping as it should, or the drop rate is so frighteningly low that no one has even seen it drop as of yet... at least that has been the discussions I've seen on the forums.

Havok.cry
08-02-2012, 08:49 PM

Well then, when I have looted three of them I will consider re opening my wallet to turbine.

Fallout
08-02-2012, 10:12 PM
When can we decon the red scale armor?

Barazon
08-02-2012, 10:47 PM
When can we decon the red scale armor?

About three months after they put red scales in the ddo store.

Blank_Zero
08-03-2012, 12:42 AM
Frankly, this sickens me.

Dragavon
08-03-2012, 01:03 AM

I find this highly offensive. :mad:

Increase the drop rates significantly, and leave it out of the store. :rolleyes:

karl_k0ch
08-03-2012, 02:27 AM
I guess the entire forum base must be incredibly unlucky then.

Come on guys, get real.

This. I haven't seen anyone pull a yellow dopant, and I don't know anyone who has seen anyone pulling a yellow dopant.

What is the chance of a dopant being generated?

Flavilandile
08-03-2012, 04:59 AM

At this time, according to the numerous threads here in the forum the chances that a Yellow Dopant drops are so low that it's useless as we will have gathered all the ingredients needed to make a replacement item ( and a few spare items ) by the time we earn one.
A drop rate of 0.0001% ( or less ) for Yellow Dopant is not a drop rate, I'd win at lottery before I get a Yellow Dopant.

So right now all the good work you did on Greensteel Deconstruction is wasted because nobody can use it.

There are several solution to that stupid drop rate problem :
- fix the drop rate so that it reliably drop ( At least one for a full party on an Elite shroud That's 3 chests, 12 Peoples. Raise the 1/36 chance a bit to make sure it drops, go for 0.03% [ or 0.04% ] )
- make it available at the Eberron Cells for a big chunk of plats ( say 10KPP, even more if you want )

While I don't mind the availability in the Shop, I hope you won't just leave it there but you will implement one of the above solution to get it ( relatively ) reliably for free.

Hephaistor
08-03-2012, 05:13 AM
According to an other source droprate is 0,1% for the shroud end chests and 0% for Devil assault.

Miztof
08-03-2012, 05:23 AM
It would be very nice if Yellow Dopant was added to Shroud's 20th completion reward list...

tyga250
08-03-2012, 06:45 AM

Can you please double check this is still the case? Information from a third party suggests that it is 0.1% chance on the part 5 ingredient chests (1 on norm, 2 on hard, 3 on elite) and not at all from Devil Assault.

JOTMON
08-03-2012, 07:05 AM

That explains the pitifully low drop rate for Dopants.

With the ingredient loss due to deconstruction, there should have been no extra ingredient to deconstruct Greensteels.
The Yellow Dopant should have been an option to deconstruct and get all your ingredients back.

The Dopant was such a waste of time I threw my Greensteel away in favor of inventory space and recrafted from the ingredients I got running for the Dopant.

CaptainPurge
08-03-2012, 07:16 AM
so .005% drop rate or ddo store... why didnt you guys just bite the pr bullet to begin with and just put it only in ddo store rather than the farce of *look it drops in game*

Yeah pretty much. They had to add it to live first, in order to add it to the DDO store. Give it any drop rate you want, 0.00000001% is good enough to hang on until the DDO Store team gets to adding it. My home server, Cannith, has yet to even see it drop.

smatt
08-03-2012, 09:50 AM

This is at least partly the reason for me canceling a 5 1/2 year long subscription to DDO,a nd leaving the game..... Stupidly low drop rates and the addition of those rare items to the store... Of course there are many others as well.....

Dantrag
08-03-2012, 09:54 AM
That explains the pitifully low drop rate for Dopants.

With the ingredient loss due to deconstruction, there should have been no extra ingredient to deconstruct Greensteels.
The Yellow Dopant should have been an option to deconstruct and get all your ingredients back.

I tOtally agree, what is the reason behind having a rare item to deconstruct our greensteels? I mean, i did xhundreds runs, why expecting us to do more for that?
I think it should be like the dragon armors, break and get the juice back, justification for dragon armor deconstruct is free? they changed the stats, as 3x neg items are obsolete, should be a way to get money back without yellow dope...

Chette
08-03-2012, 10:01 AM

Why can't you just make it drop in the dang quest where it's supposed to drop, or sell it from a vendor for platinum like every other crafting deconstruction material in the game...

Chette
08-03-2012, 10:26 AM

I have done at least 10 elite shrouds sine the update...probably closer to 15 or 20, but lets say 10 and be conservative. That is equal to 10x4x12 = 480 end chests, and I have not seen a single yellow dopant. Neither has anybody in my guild, which is one of the largest on the server, running shroud multiple times a day. I am aware of only a single yellow dopant drop on the entire server.

Do you think that this is a reasonable drop rate?

If I were to simply run 20 shrouds to obtain another cleansing essence I would gain enough ingredients to re-make my dual shard item and more. Given that you also lose ingredients when deconstructing your item, unless the drop rate for yellow dopants is high enough that I can expect to get one in significantly less than 20 runs, it is an absolutely worthless and unnecessary addition to the game.

Bronko
08-03-2012, 12:05 PM

Finally. There are some things in this game that I am willing to spend points on and others that I'm not. This is one of the former.

As long as it's reasonably priced, of course.

Gawna
08-03-2012, 12:12 PM
So, you're going to make us shell out real money for the item since the drop is pretty much non existent in-game, then only get a portion of the ingredients back? I would be much happier if I could just decon my greensteel with no item and get partial ingredients, then have the option to purchase a dopant to get 100% of my ingredients back.

The fact that there have been threads upon threads of people complaining about the absurd drop rate of an absurd mechanic just to be answered with, "It's okay, guys, we're gonna add it to the store!" just shows that, once again, you guys are completely out of touch with your playerbase.

Bronko
08-03-2012, 12:13 PM
This is at least partly the reason for me canceling a 5 1/2 year long subscription to DDO,a nd leaving the game..... Stupidly low drop rates and the addition of those rare items to the store... Of course there are many others as well.....

It lives!

I troll, therefore I am? Too good to call or send an email bro? We're still keeping your seat warm at the Big Boy table if you decide to come back. *crosses fingers*

And I hate that I have to agree with you again. I like the fact that the Yellow Dopant is coming to the store but I hate the fact that the drop rate in-game is so ridiculously low as to make the grind to deconstruct worse than the grind to build the item.

Auralana7214
08-03-2012, 12:16 PM
People keep talking about the absurd drop rate. I am still opposed to believing that there is any drop rate imposed right now. Did I miss a SS? We saw some who lucked out and got one before the first patch after launch, but have there been any in the last week or so? If I missed the SS, please let me know!

Feralthyrtiaq
08-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Or, you could just add it into the Meridia vendor standing right next to the altar.

Please don't add in a mechanic like GS decon, which we begged for, then kick us in the tarhooties by making it absurdly difficult to get, THEN offer to put it in the store to "fix" the problem.

This isn't fixing anything, it's giving us a cash workaround to a system that should have never happened the way it did. It's quite insulting.

Thank you!

...if given the s they produced for GS decon or NOT having it all I would rather NOT have it!

REALLY elfing tired of the "Stick in the Eye" (ie: kick in the tarhooties) that comes along with Turbine's dev team.

If diminishing returns isn't bad enough (WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND EXPECTS TO GET A LARGE DEVIL SCALE BACK HMMMM?)

They...

1) Add some total horse-s "Special Ingredient" to the mix...

2) Make the drop rate so gd p-poor that it really cannot be considered a "DROP" anything...

3) Then come to our "rescue" by putting it in the store...

G elfing D I wish some days I didn't like D&D so much or have made friends in the game FFS

Vargouille
08-03-2012, 03:29 PM
We’re increasing how much Yellow Dopant drops in U15, and adding more locations where it drops.

Update 15 Shroud drop rates are increasing to five times as much as Update 14 rates.
Tower of Despair also drops Yellow Dopant in Update 15, with an extra chance in Suulomades’ chest.
Vision of Destruction gains a chance to drop Yellow Dopant.

The drop rates in these raids are comparable to each other, with increased chance on higher difficulties.

Devil Assault on Elite and Epic will also drop Yellow Dopant. Due to a bug it does not currently do so in U14. The drop rate is lower in Devil Assault in general, but Epic will drop more than Elite.

NytCrawlr
08-03-2012, 03:36 PM
We’re increasing how much Yellow Dopant drops in U15, and adding more locations where it drops.

Update 15 Shroud drop rates are increasing to five times as much as Update 14 rates.
Tower of Despair also drops Yellow Dopant in Update 15, with an extra chance in Suulomades’ chest.

The drop rates in these raids are comparable to each other, with increased chance on higher difficulties.

Devil Assault on Elite and Epic will also drop Yellow Dopant. Due to a bug it does not currently do so in U14. The drop rate is lower in Devil Assault in general, but Epic will drop more than Elite.

Christmas came early! :eek:

Feather_of_Sun
Yellow Dopant will also appear 100% of the time in the 20th end reward list for The Shroud.

Eladrin

We're also adding it to the Shroud twentieth completions list.

Edit:

Yellow Dopant will also appear 100% of the time in the 20th end reward list for The Shroud.
Thunder stealer.

HungarianRhapsody
08-03-2012, 03:38 PM

This is good news. Giving it such an absurdly low drop rate plus selling it in the store was pretty offensive.

RabidApathy
08-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Now that's more like it! I was looking forward to GS deconstruction, and was disappointed that it was made so inaccessible.

ComicRelief
08-03-2012, 03:43 PM
*snip*
Thunder stealer.

Is that the sequal to "Lightning Thief"?
;)

Lagin
08-03-2012, 03:44 PM

:cool: ty

Munkenmo
08-03-2012, 03:46 PM

instead of a tome slot?
overwriting the cleansing slot?

or is it an additional slot in the loot table.

Shade
08-03-2012, 03:47 PM

Mmm thats rather confusing given the "epic" difficulty mode no longer exists. Epic what?

I'd guess maybe Epic-hard, but since atm theres a bug which causes all dififculties of epic devils assault to rewrd casual-only loot, it wont drop at all. Rather frusterating and makes the quest pretty much never get ran anymore.

And yea given the fact EDA elite is far more difficult then EDA Epic casual/norm, id say only EH/EE should get the better rates.

Any plans to fix said bug at same time?

Eladrin
08-03-2012, 03:48 PM
instead of a tome slot?

Additional slot.

Vargouille
08-03-2012, 03:49 PM
instead of a tome slot?

In all cases, including live Update 14 right now, Yellow Dopant is a purely addtional drop that doesn't replace anything.

Munkenmo
08-03-2012, 03:50 PM
thankyou both for the confirmation.

eladrin i think you owe an apology for stealing thunder though. :p

NytCrawlr
08-03-2012, 03:50 PM
A lot of thunder stealing going on. Eladrin got his revenge. :)

Thanks guys for the updates.

Untitled
08-03-2012, 03:56 PM

This is one of those times I am proud to play DDO. Thank you for listening to our feedback and making a change on this issue. I am glad there is now a more available source for this without relying on the DDO Store. I wish all game companies would do this! +1

Scraap
08-03-2012, 03:58 PM
RE: expanded droprates

Less rage now. Thanks.

Arkat
08-03-2012, 04:04 PM

This one was a no brainer.

Thanks.

bbqzor
08-03-2012, 04:09 PM

This is remarkably close to requests made by me and others. Thank you for accurately listening in regards to making a mechanic that has been requested literally for years actually usable by your player base. The other additions make sense (so for example, people can redo ToD rings by doing ToD, always preferred to requiring older raids etc) and are welcome additions. Cheers.

Feather_of_Sun
08-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Clarification on Devil Assault:
It will drop only on the following three difficulties Elite, Epic Hard, and Epic Elite.

SirShen
08-03-2012, 04:27 PM

This is great news.

Galeria
08-03-2012, 04:46 PM
This is good news. Thanks, Devs!

PNellesen
08-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Thanks for listening to the players :D

(5 * 0.01% is still "pitiful" for this particular item, but I guess it's better than nothing ;) )

Inkblack
08-03-2012, 05:28 PM

That's not enough. It will be a 0.5% chance to drop then. Doing the math...

So after opening 139 chests, we will finally be more likely to have had one drop for us than not have seen one for us at all. Two chests on elite than can drop it, so 70 elite shrouds before we are more likely (>50%) to have had one drop for us than not? Or we can just rebuild whatever we were deconstructing with all the ingredients we collected.

I'd suggest raising this substantially. It still looks like a money grab. At 2.89% chance per, then there is a 50% chance that there is at least one in an elite shroud between all 12 characters.

THAC0
08-03-2012, 07:07 PM
It will drop only on the following three difficulties Elite, Epic Hard, and Epic Elite.

Awesome news! Thanks for listening DDO Devs!

sirgog
08-04-2012, 12:02 AM
So post changes, which of the following will be most accurate?

a) Yellow Dopants will be considerably rarer than Large Splintered Horns
b) Yellow Dopants will be of comparable rarity to Large Horns
c) Dopants will be of comparable rarity to Shards of Supreme Power

dejafu
08-04-2012, 01:09 AM

Ahh... You have come to honor our bargain.

Goooooood....

HungarianRhapsody
08-04-2012, 02:03 AM

Going from 0.1% chance for a drop to 0.5% chance for a drop will still be much more rare than a Large Splintered Horn.

djl
08-04-2012, 12:14 PM

If they truly listened to the players, they would make them comparable to Shards of Supreme Power. That is only fair, considering you lose half of your resources.

But, I doubt it will be that way. I think even after the drop rate buffs, they will still be too rare to be used for anything other than Cleansing Essences and TOD rings.

Barazon
08-04-2012, 12:48 PM

Are you saying that this is what the drop rates will BECOME, not what they are now? I got a 20th completion right after the Expansion Pack went live, and was not offered one.

dejafu
08-04-2012, 01:06 PM
If they truly listened to the players, they would make them comparable to Shards of Supreme Power. That is only fair, considering you lose half of your resources.

But, I doubt it will be that way. I think even after the drop rate buffs, they will still be too rare to be used for anything other than Cleansing Essences and TOD rings.

Well, they're kind of like large and medium horns - you just aren't going to NEED that many in the long run. Rather than let them stack up after the first month like so many horns, I'll be content if the drop rate is such that you get one maybe every 10 runs or so. The fact that they will be added to the 20th completion list (and no, it doesn't sound like that's happened yet, so save your 20th runs til update 15!) should make it fairly manageable.

I'm fairly certain this is the reason why the initial drop rates were so low - the devs figured it would ultimately be a rarely needed item, so the drop rates are... you know, rare. They just failed to take into account the whole "half a decade worth of banked greensteel" issue, and are now amending for it.

As for the conspiracy theories... I swear guys, the level of mad-genius level intelligence and long-term planning you're attributing to the devs and marketing is staggering. These are human beings we're talking about here, and are far too fallible to hatch up a plan as complicated as some of you are insisting.

If they were that good at understanding and predicting human attitudes and behavior, do you really think this last update would have been the public relations trainwreck it's turned out to be?

Flavilandile
08-04-2012, 01:09 PM

If they had listened to those of us that did participate in the various threads they would have put it in the Eberron Energy Cells Vendor in Meridia for 10KPP ( or more ). That's what most of us wanted.

But a drop rate similar to Supreme Shards is something more or less viable.

The Yellow Dopant is needed in huge quantities right now because we all have 6 years of useless Greensteel items ( and failures ) to deconstruct... For me that represent about 7/8 items. Maybe more I'm not sure, I tend to forget about those Greensteel I stored long ago in bank.
After the initial surge things will get better and the demand is going to lower a lot.
The problem is getting through that initial surge.

sephiroth1084
08-04-2012, 04:36 PM
As for the conspiracy theories... I swear guys, the level of mad-genius level intelligence and long-term planning you're attributing to the devs and marketing is staggering. These are human beings we're talking about here, and are far too fallible to hatch up a plan as complicated as some of you are insisting.

If they were that good at understanding and predicting human attitudes and behavior, do you really think this last update would have been the public relations trainwreck it's turned out to be?
You clearly know nothing about marketing. Whether Turbine is practicing typical money-grabber marketing or not aside, advertising and the methodologies used to sell more product are downright insidious in the corporate world. Even if Turbine were doing what everyone claims they are, and I'm not convinced that they aren't artificially trying to generate sales in the store here and there, they're nowhere close to some of the **** a lot of companies (and industries) pull.

xveganrox
08-04-2012, 04:41 PM
A .005 chance instead of a .001 chance?

I wouldn't mind them just having been added to the store - but putting them in game with a drop rate comparable to +4 tomes in Hard ToD and pretending to be giving us what we asked for is just a joke.

danotmano1998
08-04-2012, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun

Thank you for listening.

I will now go and hug 10 thousand kobolds in atonement.
For each and every yellow dopant I pull, I will donate 10 platinum to the "save the monstrous humaniod orphans fund" in perpetuity.

sirgog
08-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Well, they're kind of like large and medium horns - you just aren't going to NEED that many in the long run. Rather than let them stack up after the first month like so many horns, I'll be content if the drop rate is such that you get one maybe every 10 runs or so. The fact that they will be added to the 20th completion list (and no, it doesn't sound like that's happened yet, so save your 20th runs til update 15!) should make it fairly manageable.

I'm fairly certain this is the reason why the initial drop rates were so low - the devs figured it would ultimately be a rarely needed item, so the drop rates are... you know, rare. They just failed to take into account the whole "half a decade worth of banked greensteel" issue, and are now amending for it.

For what it is worth, large horns are considerably rarer than you indicate here. About one per 20 Normal completions.

But yeah agree on the 'half decade of banked GS' issue. If a new server were to start tomorrow, Dopants wouldn't be in demand - Large Horns would be instead as people scramble to make even tier 2 GS weapons as even at tier 2 they are high quality items.

Honestly I'm surprised they didn't say 'Store exclusive from Update 14 to Update 15, then will be added to the treasure tables (partially replacing Large Bones on the treasure tables - every fourth Large Bone will be replaced by a Dopant instead in every chest that can drop them)'.

dejafu
08-04-2012, 11:56 PM
You clearly know nothing about marketing. Whether Turbine is practicing typical money-grabber marketing or not aside, advertising and the methodologies used to sell more product are downright insidious in the corporate world. Even if Turbine were doing what everyone claims they are, and I'm not convinced that they aren't artificially trying to generate sales in the store here and there, they're nowhere close to some of the **** a lot of companies (and industries) pull.

I teach university classes on advertising (the critical kind, not the "how to" kind), and my sister is a vice-president of marketing at a fairly large firm. The thing is, yeah, there is a lot of insidious stuff that goes on. But the deeper, darker truth is that advertisers and marketers have next to no idea how populations will actually respond to their methods, and are utterly baffled by and terrified of the fickle masses.

New media products like MMOs are particularly tricky because they're what are called "high cost, high risk" ventures - the goal is generally to lower both cost and risk whenever possible. Playing switcheroo with something like this is risky and unpredictable in its outcome, and would generally only be done by a company that was otherwise certain of its position and future or had nothing to lose (this is why large investment bankers are some of the biggest risk-takers and sociopaths in modern capitalism - they're guaranteed bailouts by the government if they fail, so the cheating and alienating are actually no risk at all; the government isn't going to bail out Turbine if they fail).

Look, I'm not saying that Turbine is staffed by angels or anything. It's a bottom line industry like any other, and I deeply despise how corporate culture twists and distorts people's priorities. But some of the stuff I see people speculating on here just goes waaaaay over the edge and assumes some kind of sinister genius at work, when it's most likely just like any other human activity - a bunch of people flailing around in the dark hoping things work out.

Rian
08-05-2012, 01:55 AM

This stopped me from going into my 60th shroud on my ranger.

THANK YOU!!!!

MrElusiveness
08-06-2012, 01:19 PM

dont even know what that is but ok.

dejafu
08-06-2012, 08:04 PM
dont even know what that is but ok.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Devil_Assault_%28quest%29

DeafeningWhisper
08-07-2012, 03:09 PM
... Just have the skelly in Shroud sell it for plat already.

Players have been asking for years to have GS deconstruct and we still don't have it! No one I know, have run with, or read in the forums that has had the exceptional good luck to event pull one of these mythical "yellow dopants" has ever used them, because they are so freakinly rare that they are worth more as a rare find then GS mats...

Now the drop rate is 5 times higher! Yay! Wait 5 x 0.01% drop rate is still only 0.05%.

Why most we grind an item designed to reduce grind? And adding it to 20th list? So we get to choose between getting the dopant to get our cleansing stone or getting the cleanising stone? Why not the 10th completion? Or the 5th?

The ability to deconstruct shouldn't be based around finding a rare item, specialy since it's not like we get the full amount of mats back...

Kilarthia
08-11-2012, 01:44 PM
should just make dopants recover ALL resources, since it is a resource use/loss in itself

ChemE
08-18-2012, 11:21 AM
That's not enough. It will be a 0.5% chance to drop then. Doing the math...

So after opening 139 chests, we will finally be more likely to have had one drop for us than not have seen one for us at all. Two chests on elite than can drop it, so 70 elite shrouds before we are more likely (>50%) to have had one drop for us than not? Or we can just rebuild whatever we were deconstructing with all the ingredients we collected.

I'd suggest raising this substantially. It still looks like a money grab. At 2.89% chance per, then there is a 50% chance that there is at least one in an elite shroud between all 12 characters.

Some things are never good enough for some people. It's their game and they can do with it as they please. I for one am happy to see improved drop rates and the ability to buy one in the store. I stock pile all my earned and bought tp since, aside from stones, there's not really anything else I ever need from the store so they are just sitting there.