PDA

View Full Version : Remove requirements of Con21 from Epic Toughness

JOTMON
07-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Epic toughness requires Toughness and Con of 21.

For squisher races like Elf/Drow and classes that have a harder time getting Con21 this becomes nearly unachieveable without gimping.

These are the classes that need +50HP at epic levels, not the 1200HP Barbarian and fighters.

ShadowFlash
07-28-2012, 03:28 PM
For those very reason listed
/not signed

I like any changes that adds further distinctions between racial choices. If certain races are lacking, then they should be addressed seperately rather than a global "everyone gets it" approach.

ShadowFlash

Jsbeer
07-28-2012, 03:33 PM
This idea sounds okay - perhaps CON 19 (which isn't so bad - 16 base CON and a +3 Tome). Otherwise this is an even bigger indirect nerf for the -2 CON races such as Drow and Elf which to put it very mildly, are not exactly OP right now....

djl
07-28-2012, 03:42 PM
I agree with 19 con being a more reasonable requirement.

dragonofsteel2
07-28-2012, 03:42 PM
/not signed

I like any changes that adds further distinctions between racial choices. If certain races are lacking, then they should be addressed seperately rather than a global "everyone gets it" approach.

ShadowFlash

Your right we should just put high requirments on all feats so everyone has to be the cookie cutter builds. Take away insentive to try different builds by placing cookie cutter min/max as requirement to get advancements. All these requirments every do make classes or races more the only way to go.. because with the increasing damage you take in levels without the hp you will die to fast. Woot more cookie cutter builds less choose.

Reality the only places the game makes any difference is Hit points, elfs really dont get advantage for making great light armor or be faster on foot. Do racial benifits go beyond HP in this game? I think not. At least the ones that really matter in end game. So in turn if only apply one of the racial benifits in game, it makes that race supreme and all other lacking. If going to apply racial benifits give all races there benfits not just a select few. Dex build been hack to peices with the armor class changes.

Take away all feat requirments for epic feats you only get two not like op taking any them. All the feat requirments do is make hard for feat strave classes to attain them. Giving advantages to classes that are not feat strave more and more. Second option would be giving all classes same amount of feats and just making some feats class required. This at least gives the player the option when add more feats in the game. More chooses please stop limiting the chooses in this game.

Sgt_Hart
07-28-2012, 03:50 PM
/not signed

ShadowFlash

As much as I'd like to agree.. I can't.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#epicToughness No Prerequisites. As in none.. not even having toughness(The hell?). Apparently DDO is doing it wrong.

countfitz
07-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Nah. 20. 20 is a nice round number. 19 is too low, 21 is just a bit too high. 20 seems both reasonable and round.

A good cuttoff number for an epic number.

Anyway.

/signed to my idea.

BoBach
07-28-2012, 03:56 PM
please keep the requirement of 21con. The difference between the classes is an important fun factor in this game. Makes no sense to give everyone 800+ hp. If you are playing a low hp toon, dont rush in fight and play your role.

Regards Bo.
PS.: I find it already strange that I met a 1000+hp pure cleric ...

Jsbeer
07-28-2012, 04:11 PM
please keep the requirement of 21con. The difference between the classes is an important fun factor in this game. Makes no sense to give everyone 800+ hp. If you are playing a low hp toon, dont rush in fight and play your role.

Regards Bo.

If you want to keep difference between classes then perhaps pre-requisites could be:

Toughness
and 19 CON (Barbs/Fighters/Ranger/Paladins/Monks)
or 21 CON (Other classes)

Vague justification being that this is indicative of the much greater effort needed for a non-melee class, but meh.....

CaptainSpacePony
07-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Perhaps a way to address it would be a deviation from base. Elves have a base 6, humans 8, and dworfs 10. If 21 is required for dworf, then 19 for human and 17 for elf would be a way to make it equally accessible for all races.

ShadowFlash
07-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Your right we should just put high requirments on all feats so everyone has to be the cookie cutter builds.....

See, I look at this differently I guess...If the requirements are reduced, it would result in MORE cookie cutter builds...everyone would NEED to take epic toughness. And for fair disclaimer, one of my wife's toon is a 1 rogue/11 ranger/8 bard ELF AA...about as squishy as you can get...and mine are all dwarves who "could" qualify for the feat if I wanted...so it's not like we min/max to oblivion or anything. Combat archery requires 21 dex as well, and there have been several requests to reduce this as well....why? to promote no-build-choice cookie-cutter feat selection...

I remain /not signed...haven't heard a good reason to change my mind, or how it would benefit the game on a whole

wax_on_wax_off
07-28-2012, 07:48 PM
/not signed

For the reasons Shadowflash listed.

If everyone could take it then content would be balanced around everyone taking it and everyone would HAVE to take it, or be gimp. All of a sudden you go from 2 epic feats down to 1.

Epic levels have already done enough for squishy characters with the straight +50 HP from epic levels and +5 from toughness progression, this is plenty and doesn't cost anything and is good.

Saravis
07-28-2012, 07:50 PM
I remain /not signed...haven't heard a good reason to change my mind, or how it would benefit the game on a whole

I'm not "/signing" or "/not signing"

But a possible good reason for having an issue with the con requirement is,
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=376117
The way this game has a tendency to shift build expectations up, it won't be long before you'll run into a lot of "brick wall" builds (hard to take down, but completely and utterly useless), reasoning that they had to boost their HP up because they were told that they didn't have enough for xyz raid.

Vordax
07-28-2012, 07:51 PM
/not signed

ShadowFlash

Whats sort of odd, the only 2 characters I have that qualify for this feat are my casters, and I would never waste a feat on it anyways.

Munkenmo
07-28-2012, 07:54 PM
the only change needed to epic toughness is to make the barbarian past life beserkers fury also count as an alternative pre req to the toughness feat

Hilltrot
07-28-2012, 08:19 PM
I don't want to have to take Epic Toughness, like I currently have to take Toughness on every last one of my characters. Especially my elves.

You lower that Con to something like a 19, anyone with a +3 tome will be able to reach it. Especially Dwarves and Warforged. They won't even have to break a sweat. Before you know it, every stupid and I mean stupid person on the servers will collectively demand that anyone who joins their party have *that* feat. They'll say, "Elves can do it, all you have to do is spend 16 points in Con in character generation!"

Then some lifeless idiot and I mean something far worse will come on the forums and explain to us "dumb people" how his 6 Con Elf got 3,000 hit points. I'm too "dumb" to explain all the details of how he will do this but I'm pretty sure it will involve your character's mouth permanently bonded to and sucking on the nipple of a well-endowed Yugoloth.

Then all the I'll-be-banned-if-I-say-here eleven-star posters will collectively slap this lifeless idiot's back and proclaim that you should only be able to play elf if you quit your meaningful job, tell your wife to go you-know-where, only play DDO, join a level 80 guild or higher, and do everything the lifeless idiot told you to do. Or they'll allow you to take Epic Toughness instead.

I'm probably exaggerating as nothing like this has ever happened before. . . .

But just in case it has . . . let's keep the requirement at 21.

In fact, let's bump it up to 27.

wax_on_wax_off
07-28-2012, 08:41 PM
I don't want to have to take Epic Toughness, like I currently have to take Toughness on every last one of my characters. Especially my elves.

You lower that Con to something like a 19, anyone with a +3 tome will be able to reach it. Especially Dwarves and Warforged. They won't even have to break a sweat. Before you know it, every stupid and I mean stupid person on the servers will collectively demand that anyone who joins their party have *that* feat. They'll say, "Elves can do it, all you have to do is spend 16 points in Con in character generation!"

Then some lifeless idiot and I mean something far worse will come on the forums and explain to us "dumb people" how his 6 Con Elf got 3,000 hit points. I'm too "dumb" to explain all the details of how he will do this but I'm pretty sure it will involve your character's mouth permanently bonded to and sucking on the nipple of a well-endowed Yugoloth.

Then all the I'll-be-banned-if-I-say-here eleven-star posters will collectively slap this lifeless idiot's back and proclaim that you should only be able to play elf if you quit your meaningful job, tell your wife to go you-know-where, only play DDO, join a level 80 guild or higher, and do everything the lifeless idiot told you to do. Or they'll allow you to take Epic Toughness instead.

I'm probably exaggerating as nothing like this has ever happened before. . . .

But just in case it has . . . let's keep the requirement at 21.

In fact, let's bump it up to 27.

Maybe an exaggeration but closer to reality than many would care to admit.

It's good that HP/SP is visible as more information is always good but it's not without it's costs.

Talias006
07-28-2012, 08:44 PM

Regards Bo.

I understand the wanting to keep the prerequisite of 21 CON.

But classes in general do not make it easier to reach 21 CON, racial attributes account for much of the discrepancy.

Except for Barb, but that's almost a given a Barb will have extreme CON.
Any other classes give bonuses to CON?

As it stands now if you want to use Epic Toughness as an Elf or Drow your best bet is to LR yourself to start with 16 CON, use 2 level ups to boost it to 18 and a +3 Tome to further increase to 21.
This process uses 16 of your build points for CON alone, then you get to distribute to the other attributes you need.
It's alright if you're on a 34-36 point character, but can be very restrictive on even a 32 point, let alone a 28 point.

Since most of the relative power of Epics comes from Destinies, I don't see the cause for concern of reducing the CON requirement for Epic Toughness.
It's not like they have a requirement to take Heroic Toughness.

HatsuharuZ
07-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Personally, I think that if you have a base 21 Constitution and are properly geared, you don't need this feat anyways.

Xynot2
07-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Your right we should just put high requirments on all feats so everyone has to be the cookie cutter builds. Take away insentive to try different builds by placing cookie cutter min/max as requirement to get advancements. All these requirments every do make classes or races more the only way to go.. because with the increasing damage you take in levels without the hp you will die to fast. Woot more cookie cutter builds less choose.

Being condescending is not a way to bring people to your side.

Being cookie cutter is exactly the reason to be against your idea. It places less distinction between classes and races. Your idea makes thing MORE cookie cutter. Everyone having 600+ HP. In this line of thinking, Wiz/Cleric should get the same SP as FvS/Sorc and everyone should have access to 70AC. And everyone should have access to trapping abilities. It's already bad enough that Clerics are so nerfed that no one wants to play one and you have to be a self healer to play in a group anymore. No need to compound the problem with this.

I applaud you trying to get what you can for your toon but I boo you for berating the first person that disagreed with the idea.

/not signed.

Bloodyfury
07-28-2012, 09:26 PM

For squisher races like Elf/Drow and classes that have a harder time getting Con21 this becomes nearly unachieveable without gimping.

These are the classes that need +50HP at epic levels, not the 1200HP Barbarian and fighters.

/not signed

Mmmm... no?

Drow = Elf.

Elf = Weak.

Epic toughness is... Epic? If you ain't anything near "tough", don't dream about being epic in this domain... as simple. That's your race's weakness and you chose it, there's no way you can be Epic in your weakness, unless you work on it, period.

Hilltrot
07-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Personally, I think that if you have a base 21 Constitution and are properly geared, you don't need this feat anyways.

Frenzied Barbarians when properly played and supported use hit points like Spell Points.

The barbarian can Frenzy and Death Frenzy, spam Supreme Cleave, and slaughter a pack of monsters really quick. However, this takes quite a few hit points.

However, As you said barbarians have quite a few hit points already, so I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few avoided this feat.

Fhauvial
07-28-2012, 09:54 PM

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#epicToughness No Prerequisites. As in none.. not even having toughness(The hell?). Apparently DDO is doing it wrong.

I'm not signing or not signing, but I have to agree with this.^

Granted, DDO is a very different game from Pen & Paper, as much as the DM in me hates to admit--but requiring an 18 starting stat and a +3 tome or 3 levels up in a stat as a feat requirement seems rather harsh.

I can see both sides, and I'm withholding judgement for the time being..

Although, I haven't had a chance to verify this yet.. but if ability points from epic destinies counted towards base stat requirements for feats, it'd be a little more reasonable. I have a feeling they don't though.

Hilltrot
07-28-2012, 10:32 PM

I forgot to respond to this comment.

Fine! Remove the Con requirement. But . . . Just like in PnP 3rd edition D&D lower the hit point bonus to +30.

What?! That makes it just as good as toughness which gives +27? Hmm, I wonder if that was the reason why the original 3rd edition didn't put any form of requirement on it . . . . not even toughness . . . hmm . . . .

Of course, if you want the PnP version "Epic" toughness, just take toughness again. You know you want to . . .

ShadowFlash
07-28-2012, 11:06 PM

Being cookie cutter is exactly the reason to be against your idea. It places less distinction between classes and races. Your idea makes thing MORE cookie cutter. Everyone having 600+ HP. In this line of thinking, Wiz/Cleric should get the same SP as FvS/Sorc and everyone should have access to 70AC. And everyone should have access to trapping abilities. It's already bad enough that Clerics are so nerfed that no one wants to play one and you have to be a self healer to play in a group anymore. No need to compound the problem with this.

I applaud you trying to get what you can for your toon but I boo you for berating the first person that disagreed with the idea.

/not signed.

OMG, we agree! dogs and cats living together! what's next? :p

ShadowFlash

Xynot2
07-29-2012, 12:53 AM
OMG, we agree! dogs and cats living together! what's next? :p

ShadowFlash

Pigs flying... wait... I seem to recall flashbacks of a Pink Floyd concert...

Nick_RC
07-29-2012, 01:15 AM
/Not signed.

If you reduce it everyone will expect epic toughness and game will balance around it. I already don't have regular toughness on any of my characters. Add another layer of bloated HP and less builds become viable.

N

wax_on_wax_off
07-29-2012, 01:30 AM
/Not signed.

If you reduce it everyone will expect epic toughness and game will balance around it. I already don't have regular toughness on any of my characters. Add another layer of bloated HP and less builds become viable.

N

OMg, don't have tOughness? No wonder you solo a lot, nobody wants your gimp toons along!

;)

Nice idea, 2 more barb PLs and maybe Incan drop toughness too ... But ugh, what horrible lives.

Chai
07-29-2012, 02:16 AM

They sure are - they are giving you 20 extra HP per feat taken. I bet no one is complaining THAT doesnt jive with d20 SRD. :p

NovaNZ
07-29-2012, 02:26 AM
/not signed.

ZeebaNeighba
07-29-2012, 02:55 AM
Not signed.

50 HP in one feat, if it had no prerequisites, would be very powerful and many people would want everyone to take it. Just look at Heroic Toughness right now, it gives 47 HP when including 3 AP spent, and many DDO players think everyone should have it. So, basically, it's still just as strong of a feat with prerequisites, but it will prevent everyone from reasonably getting it, which is imo a good thing. Otherwise everyone would have it, it would essentially remove any choice from one of just two epic feats, and quests would be scaled up in difficulty to match people's large HP totals, meaning that anyone who decided to skip it would be hurt even worse.'

Anyone can still get it if they want (maxing your base con and putting in an appropriate number of level ups is guaranteed to take you to at least 22) but only certain builds will be able to have it really fit in.

Veriden
07-29-2012, 04:01 AM
/not signed

ShadowFlash

to your reply alone for those reasons

/not signed

Why? Because in the epic handbook epic toughness is one of seven epic feats (The other 6 being for the +1 stat) that do not have a pre-req other than to be lvl 21. There fore there should be no min con for epic toughness. (Epic handbook 3.5 page 55.)

Uska
07-29-2012, 04:11 AM
Against lowering in the name of preserving diversity in builds as others have said if its to easy to get then it will start to be expected

Raist1280
07-29-2012, 04:17 AM

Excuse me for saying this, but EPIC Toughness is an EPIC feat, does it seem to you that a real EPIC hero would be running around whining about "its just so hard, I wish someone would make it easier for me to be EPIC"... if the requirement of 21 base CON gets lowered, I'm sorry, IMO it would break the flavor of the feat. and this I say with full awareness that my TR'd epic rogue, who could (of course) benefit from another 50 HP, couldn't quite squeeze into a base CON of 21. Oh well, I don't get +50 HP, but it still feels more right to me than if the required base CON were only 19 or 20 (while would allow me to take it).

I'll grant you that the 1200 HP barbarians and fighters don't really need the +50HP, but I disagree that that means the requirements to take the feat need to be lowered to the point where an average build on a drow or elf can achieve it WITHOUT having to sacrifice something (which doesn't *have* to mean gimping the toon).

wax_on_wax_off
07-29-2012, 04:32 AM
For the people that want it lowered a point or two consider that +3 tomes are on the AH now, +4 tomes are becoming more accessible and +5s might make their way into the game soon too. With that in mind I think 21 is perfect as it's an accessible feat if you include a +3 to +5 tome (depending on build).

soulaeon
07-29-2012, 07:35 AM
/Not signed.

Dont be a squishy race if you want a lot of health and high Con.

xveganrox
07-29-2012, 12:52 PM
For all the people citing PnP.. You realize heroic toughness in PnP gave THREE hp, right? Not twenty-some plus enhancements, but THREE per feat?

IMO most people have better choices than eToughness. If there was no req, everyone would take it (not because it's good for their toon, but because people see their HP number) and would avoid other feats that probably in 60% of cases will be a good bit better for them

KillEveryone
07-29-2012, 01:08 PM
I think that if you already took toughness, then the CON requirements should be reduced for epic toughness.

If you didn't take toughness, then to get epic toughness, your CON should be 21.

Fefnir_2011
07-29-2012, 01:28 PM
As the feat stands now, my Favored Soul, Cleric, and Fighter can or will be able to qualify without much trouble. On the other hand, my Rogue and Drow Wizard can't without levelups into Con or some such nonsense. I think that's only fair, to have to be of a naturally martial class/race to qualify. It would be silly if any old person could have 1 million hp, and rather unbalanced.

baletraeger
07-29-2012, 01:46 PM
/notsigned

Sgt_Hart
07-29-2012, 11:01 PM

Fine! Remove the Con requirement. But . . . Just like in PnP 3rd edition D&D lower the hit point bonus to +30.

What?! That makes it just as good as toughness which gives +27? Hmm, I wonder if that was the reason why the original 3rd edition didn't put any form of requirement on it . . . . not even toughness . . . hmm . . . .

Of course, if you want the PnP version "Epic" toughness, just take toughness again. You know you want to . . .

Honestly, I think the requirement suits.

That said, its very much not SRD rules. SRD is my first stop when checking how out-of-whack the DDO rules are. Like or hate that choice of mine.. I'll be sure to mail you a nice little postcard when your opinion of my research methods, matters to me.

Moving on. I'm fine with the requirement, Afterall, if toughness is that insanely important to your character.. you can burn the epic feats to take heroic toughness, which is math-wise inferior, but still better than a bucket of lukewarm water.

Now, with all that said, Hill your attitude(The hell?). Hint: The bit in red suggests my confusion, skepticism, and disbelief that the SRD has it working as intended.

I don't expect rocket science.. but if your of a mind to yell at me, at least make sure I'm not on your side first.

Xynot2
07-29-2012, 11:31 PM
DDO is LOOSELY based on 3.5

DDO sets it how it works for a video game/mmo

I've seen people who would be canned from endgame stuff for low HP survive better than the ones with high XP.

It's all about the build. I see *Con isnt a dump stat* and I agree... sometimes, it's an unnecessary stat. You want more con, sacrifice something. That 1800 HP Barbarian did. Cant you see he cant hit very hard? That Turtle tank sacrificed DPS/HP for AC. And so on through the classes. Every toon is not supposed to have every stat. Period. Every toon is not supposed to be able to do everything. This isn't WoW and I hope it never is.

dragonofsteel2
07-29-2012, 11:39 PM

/not signed.

No idea how was being condescending, but hey guess I was.. Sure p go believing it does not cookie cutter builds you will see in end game. The reality is if your build does not live because they do not have the tools to cut it, you will "A" not run that level or "B" make the class or race that can handle the damage being taken. This is my view how it works, you might disagree and think your thoughts are more in line. The reality is simple if take class has 400hp and is one shoted all the time and give him no tools to make up the Hp that build become useless. If you have a build that has 1000hp and give more tools to get addtional hp that toon becomes more useiful. Oh wait since already way above all other toons in Hp he might not even need this feat even though he can take it.

I am strong believer if all you do is seperate the differinces between classes all you will get is couple classes that thrive while the rest get thrown in the waste basket. Reality video games fights are made for the mid/maxer. Ac is always but curve with it's use. Though hp never put on a curve hmmm. This by making it king in the video game realm. All games allow you to get more hp and deal more damage. If they did not no one would play. So your arguement that shuting out one class/race from more hp or damage is not valid to me. Because to me all video games or mmo come down to this to simple facts. Why is simple, people like seeing there tough charcter doing lots of damage. (It sales) So you telling me be limiting certain builds to have less and less hp does not make the game more cookie cutter, I can not and will not believe. Reality it just makes thoose builds useless in that content so people will stray from them.

Though the angle you looking at this I think is the actual differences in classes/races. From that angle you would be right. Though we comparing apples and oranges. I am looking at the pratical side and you looking at the role playing side. I do not and never will play games for that side. I looking at the functional side of playing end game.

Last thing just going on making my agruement about hp into ac and all that other things you do is ridiculous. I was talking Hp not making all toons the same. Keep on my thoughts not what you read into it. I never would make the classes identical, but talking option away from people is never good. Beside my caster will have 700 to 800hp when done with him. Why simple things hit for 200 plus on epic elite. Ac takes way to much gear and takes away from my ablity to fit in my caster items. So my caster will not be a drow, taking that option away from me, it sad in my veiw. Though sure some wizards that drow will figure out get that many hp, but I am a sorc, that does not play WF because Easy button. Do I ask them to nerf hmm no, I just challenge myself.

Xynot2
07-29-2012, 11:49 PM
I am strong believer if all you do is seperate the differinces between classes all you will get is couple classes that thrive while the rest get thrown in the waste basket.

This is where the disagreement begins. I know min/max of every class. Some throw in a couple monk or rogue levels for evasion so they dont need as many HP. And there are more ways around the con issue. min/maxers play what they want because that's what they have fun with. Most I have met look at something like low con as a challenge which in turn makes it all the more fun for them. Both in how to get more HP and the challenge of running a low HP toon. And if everyone wasn't so set on self healing and that clerics shouldn't be used in the traditional role of HP babysitters ( I know they do more but ...) Then a Min/max Cleric would be able to handle having a well built low HP toon in the group. I speak from experience because I have solo healed hard shroud without using pots, I have healed Epic quest without issue. Granted, I would be concerned about doing that in an eEpic, but wouldn't avoid it.

/still not signed.

Jay203
07-30-2012, 02:50 AM
If everyone could take it then content would be balanced around everyone taking it and everyone would HAVE to take it, or be gimp. All of a sudden you go from 2 epic feats down to 1.

food for thought :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ravoc-DDO
07-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Change Epic Toughness from a flat 50HP into an upgrade of each level's HP die to d12.

Thrudh
07-30-2012, 12:05 PM

This is the main problem I have with Epic Toughness... None of my characters who qualify for this feat have any interest or need to take it.

But a couple of my characters with hit point issues who would be interested in taking it are unable to take it.

Aesop
07-30-2012, 12:53 PM

just to point this out. Toughness in 3.5 is only 3hp not 3+1per level. So really Epic toughness was the equivalent of 10 Toughness Feats. If anything Epic Toughness should be something like 200hp.

If you really want to limit who takes Epic Toughness make it based on Fortitude Save instead.

Make the requirement a Base Fortitude Save of 10... though Pure rogues are pretty sol at that point. Maybe let Great Fortitude and other Feat based bonuses count.

Then add 10 PRR to Epic Fortitude and maybe it would be worth a Feat.

Aesop

edit: oh wait just read Epic Toughness and it is only 20hp not 30. So its only 6.66 toughnesses... toughnessi?

Aesop
07-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Lot's of people talking about diversity of builds... which would be great if there was a replacement for HP that had similar requirements.

EPIC DODGE
Prerequisite: 23 Dexterity and Evasion
Increase Dodge Bonus by 5%. Unarmored Dodge Maximum is increased 10%.

Additionally, while in Ocean Stance Max Unarmored Dodge Bonus increases by 2-5% (based on tier)

Aesop

Raist1280
08-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Responses inline, in blue.

I am strong believer if all you do is seperate the differinces between classes all you will get is couple classes that thrive while the rest get thrown in the waste basket. Reality video games fights are made for the mid/maxer. (sic) Ac is always but curve with it's use. Though hp never put on a curve hmmm. This by making it king in the video game realm. All games allow you to get more hp and deal more damage. If they did not no one would play. So your arguement that shuting out one class/race from more hp or damage is not valid to me. Because to me all video games or mmo come down to this to simple facts. Why is simple, people like seeing there tough charcter doing lots of damage. (It sales) So you telling me be limiting certain builds to have less and less hp does not make the game more cookie cutter, I can not and will not believe. Reality it just makes thoose builds useless in that content so people will stray from them.

While see the point you are trying to make, I disagree wholeheartedly with most of it. You're right that most video games are made for (or at least with them in mind) min/maxers. However I don't agree that that automatically means if a particular race or class can't completely max out HP that they are going to be avoided. I also think you're backwards on the idea that removing a prerequisite for a feat makes the game less cookie-cutter. Hell, having the requirement doesn't either. Removing that requirement from the feat means that virtually all builds are going to incorporate that 1 feat, regardless of anything else. Want proof of that? How many builds, especially viable end-game builds, *DON'T* have the toughness feat? The reason Epic Toughness has a rather high prerequisite is exactly so that not everyone has it, so that it can, itself, be a point of diversity in builds.

Though the angle you looking at this I think is the actual differences in classes/races. From that angle you would be right. Though we comparing apples and oranges. I am looking at the pratical side and you looking at the role playing side. I do not and never will play games for that side. I looking at the functional side of playing end game.

In this, I feel sorry for you, I really do. I've been playing D&D for a long time (18ish years now), I've played purely from the practical side. I've played purely from the role-playing side. In the end the former is very cookie cutter, somethings work and other don't, and there is very little, if any, deviation - the latter is almost entirely diversity, rarely optimal, but allows for some extremely epic moments when you manage to pull off what would normally seem impossible. Now, I'm speaking here from almost 20 years of experience in the PnP game, not a video game/mmo, but the same theories apply. In DDO all of my toons are custom builds, I don't use other peoples builds (though I do tend to read up about new builds on the forums to get ideas sometimes), and I don't truly min/max. I used to have a light monk that could quite handily solo ANYTHING. However, she couldn't stun anything (WIS too low), I never got good with using the monk finishers, and the build I put together had ~160 HP at lv17. Yeah, 160 HP at lv17. Thats insanely low, so low in fact that I ended up HAVING to solo because I wasn't ever allowed in groups with my HP so low. And yet she never died, see I didn't need 1000HP like everyone else because I build a toon where everything she did healed her a little, sure +1 HP per attack doesn't seem like much, but on a dex-build monk in air stance... thats actually really fast healing. and then you add in the healing curse that a light monk can do. and you add in max healing amp on a human monk. and you can start to see how a very non-optimal build can be viable in end-game content. The whole point of getting away from the cookie cutter mentality is finding these unique and extremely different builds that *CAN* be just as viable in end game content. maybe they aren't the absolutely best, most optimized spec, but really, if thats what you want, then cookie cutter builds are exactly what you're gonna end up with, because there is only 1 absolute best build for a particular purpose, and once that gets found, those that want/need the "very best" will just copy the existing build. I find it far more fun to make a build based on a concept and see just how well it turns out. Most of the time, it doesn't last long, but sometimes you can end up really surprised.

Last thing just going on making my agruement about hp into ac and all that other things you do is ridiculous. I was talking Hp not making all toons the same. Keep on my thoughts not what you read into it. I never would make the classes identical, but talking option away from people is never good. Beside my caster will have 700 to 800hp when done with him. Why simple things hit for 200 plus on epic elite. Ac takes way to much gear and takes away from my ablity to fit in my caster items. So my caster will not be a drow, taking that option away from me, it sad in my veiw. Though sure some wizards that drow will figure out get that many hp, but I am a sorc, that does not play WF because Easy button. Do I ask them to nerf hmm no, I just challenge myself.

You're taking that option away from yourself. Your caster certainly can be a drow, but that involves a trade-off in that it reduces your CON, and thus, your HP. Thats a trade you're not willing to make, which is fine, but that doesn't mean that the rules should just be different. By that mentality why not just change the Drow race to *NOT* have the -2 CON? I mean, that would allow a lot more people to playt dorw, since a lot of people stay way from it because of the lowered CON, right?
I'm sure that if we made such a small concession as that it wouldn't make the game more cookie cutter, after all, its not like *most* casters would jump on being drow for the bonus to INT & CHA... After all, divine casters really care more about WIS anyway. It isn't about taking options away, it's about there being practical consequences (positive as well as negative) to each option. A Drow takes -2 CON at creation, so they probably won't be in a good position at level 21 (or 24) to take epic toughness. If the build you're putting together absolutely must have that feat, maybe you can make it work without gimping the character too bad, if not, either pick a different race or change your build so it doesn't need that feat. Its just my $0.02, but Drow is virtually never the optimal race for a build anyhow... (and no, that doesn't stop me from using them in my builds)

Talias006
08-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Responses inline, in blue.

Please choose a more readable color to note your remarks, I honestly tried to read it but it's just too difficult.
Blue is downright nasty on the eyes when viewed on a black background.
Might I recommend Deep Sky Blue?

EvilI
08-02-2012, 04:25 AM

I disagree. In fact rather few characters would benefit more from 50hp than from another epic feat. Ast it stands, the only characters I have that will be able to take this feat are my sorcerer and wizard. Does that sound right?

PS. Neither of them will take it, as other feats are more useful to them. D.S.

Feithlin
08-02-2012, 04:35 AM
It's not that hard to meet the requirement. Just put a few level ups in Con (16 base + 3 tome + 2 levels = 21) and you're fine. Whose character can't have 2 points less in an attribute? Casters probably, but they have a high Con and have other feats to take anyway. Otherwise, nobody will gimp his toon if he has 48 Str instead of 50...

Nephilia
08-02-2012, 06:54 AM
/not signed
The requirement doesn't seems too high to me.

Even more on a toon with 3 toughness (a tank, a monk etc) epic toughness give u more life than 2 regular toughness feats.
It free u 2 feat slot in practice.

JOTMON
08-02-2012, 07:46 AM
It's not that hard to meet the requirement. Just put a few level ups in Con (16 base + 3 tome + 2 levels = 21) and you're fine. Whose character can't have 2 points less in an attribute? Casters probably, but they have a high Con and have other feats to take anyway. Otherwise, nobody will gimp his toon if he has 48 Str instead of 50...

It is more difficult than you are portraying, most races start at base 8.

On a 32 point for most races getting 16 Con costs 10 skill points leaves you with 22 points to distribute.

The Elf/Drow start at base 6 CON so to get CON 16 costs 16 points leaving you with 16 points for all your other stats.

WF/Dwarf have it easy since they start at base 10 and can get to 16 with 6 points.

/not signed
The requirement doesn't seems too high to me.

Even more on a toon with 3 toughness (a tank, a monk etc) epic toughness give u more life than 2 regular toughness feats.
It free u 2 feat slot in practice.

The current Tanks already have enough feats, 1,000+ hitpoints and Con21+, so this is meaningless to them.
They are already swapping a toughness for epic tougness

Feat tight classes cant afford more than 1 toughness before epics.

Its the squishy classes that could use the feat and generally cant access it

How many Elf/Drow tanks are there in DDO....

Most Elf/Drow cannot achieve Base Con21 without gimping... it is a form of Racial prejudice.
Epic levels are supposed to bring classes closer to balanced equality.

Goregnash
08-03-2012, 09:28 AM
I agree with 19 con being a more reasonable requirement.

This.

Habreno
08-04-2012, 12:43 AM

Regards Bo.

That Cleric may well have been me, if it was on Argonessen.

BUT.

To the point of the thread: CON requirement is 100% fine. I support it entirely since it means it's not another cookie-cutter feat.