PDA

View Full Version : 3 things... from a new player

Thunder-Monkey
07-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Hi, i'm new to forum and 3 months new to the game (loving it so far), so please forgive me if these things have been covered before!

There are 3 things (so far) that i would like to suggest...

1 - When your (or your hireling's) 'spot' sense alerts you to danger or a draught, could there be an audio alert as well as the icon and text alerts? and could they be slightly different sounds so you can distinguish between the different alerts without having to read the text? Maybe you could choose in 'options' which alert type(s) you would like.

2 - Currently, when a party member dies a party-wide chat message appears - is it possible to add another party-wide chat message when their soulstone is picked up, showing who collected it?

3 - I'd quite like the ability to send a mass 'tell' to everyone on my friends list (who's online) - perhaps even using a 'friends' tab in the chat window. Is this a possibility?

Thanks

TM

TrinityTurtle
07-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Hi, i'm new to forum and 3 months new to the game (loving it so far), so please forgive me if these things have been covered before!

1 - When your (or your hireling's) 'spot' sense alerts you to danger or a draught, could there be an audio alert as well as the icon and text alerts? and could they be slightly different sounds so you can distinguish between the different alerts without having to read the text? Maybe you could choose in 'options' which alert type(s) you would like.

2 - Currently, when a party member dies a party-wide chat message appears - is it possible to add another party-wide chat message when their soulstone is picked up, showing who collected it?

3 - I'd quite like the ability to send a mass 'tell' to everyone on my friends list (who's online) - perhaps even using a 'friends' tab in the chat window. Is this a possibility?

Thanks

TM

1) Most people play with in game sounds turned off so they can actaully hear each other on voice chat, I don't see a lot of support for this. Especially since the text alert has been doing the job (for deaf players also) for years.

2) We already have enough unecessary information spamming our combat and party logs. The person who got picked up gets a message who picked them up, the entire party doesn't need to know who has someone pocketed. If for some reason they do, a simple enquiry in the party chat window will do it.

3) Please no, I get enough single tell spams from people I quested with once and freind me for life. YOu have the option of creating a user social channel of your own, and inviting your friends into it, that is more than enough. Or the option to create a guild with your friends.

Thunder-Monkey
07-25-2012, 07:33 AM
1) Most people play with in game sounds turned off so they can actaully hear each other on voice chat, I don't see a lot of support for this. Especially since the text alert has been doing the job (for deaf players also) for years.

2) We already have enough unecessary information spamming our combat and party logs. The person who got picked up gets a message who picked them up, the entire party doesn't need to know who has someone pocketed. If for some reason they do, a simple enquiry in the party chat window will do it.

3) Please no, I get enough single tell spams from people I quested with once and freind me for life. YOu have the option of creating a user social channel of your own, and inviting your friends into it, that is more than enough. Or the option to create a guild with your friends.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, your points are very informative for a new player like myself.

1 - I don't know about most people, but I would certainly find this very useful. I'm not asking for it to replace the text alerts, just an option to add an audible alert, or choose your alert type(s). I think this one has merit and would not take too much effort to implement.

2 - Fair point. It's easy to check soulstones if everyone uses Voice Chat (or at least has their ears on) but this isn't always the case. Again, it's something I personally would find useful as I'm not so quick on the keys.

3 - Valid point. I can see how this would be open to abuse - scrap that 1... bad idea!

Thanks for helping my awareness of how others play the game.

TM

Ravoc-DDO
07-25-2012, 08:31 AM
#3 can work, provided that the concept of a friend is changed. Since a friendship is usually a mutual 2-way relationship, adding someone as friend should also put you on his/her friends list. Similarly, removing someone from your friends list should also remove you frim his/her list. That way mass tells to friends can't be abused anymore either.

fco-karatekid
07-25-2012, 08:48 AM
Neutral on point 2, not a fan of point 3 (though I don't hate it)

For point 1 - I can see this... like an "ahem!" or "pssst!". That said: I have the game sounds directed to my sound card, the vox to my headphones, so I wouldn't be affected by the fact ppl turn off in-game sounds. So I can see where doing that would make this irrelevant.

Auralana7214
07-25-2012, 09:01 AM
I actually like these ideas.

1. This is a great idea. Not sure if it would be a sound the whole party could hear or just the trapper/hireling owner. Would be nice either way.

2. I love this idea. My guild uses Teamspeak, so we are constantly chattering about this or that. During a quest, sometimes it's hard to get a word in to say, I got so-and-so's Stone. Or even better, we get half-way across the map and realize someone is still looking for their hireling's SS which was picked up by someone still with the group(like I said, we are chattering and not paying attention sometimes, hilarious).

3. Not too sure about this one. I think I have a different perspective on this than the OP, though. For the most part, my friends are not the ones on my friends list. My friends list is reserved for those that I won't pug with ever again. They have nice little comments like, "Idiot", "******bag", and the like. Not sure I would ever want to send a mass tell to them, so I abstain from voting yes or no on this one.

Uska
07-25-2012, 09:09 AM
No thanks to all three

Missing_Minds
07-25-2012, 09:16 AM
I'm indifferent to all three. Granted I've been here a long time so I've just learned to deal.

And I've never used a "friend" list as a black list.

Syllph
07-25-2012, 09:22 AM
On note 3)

You can create a channel. Have anyone that wants to join your channel join it then you can send everyone on that list a message at the same time, and visa-verse. Creating a guild does the same thing and rewards you further.

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Custom_Chat_Channels

V_mad_jester_V
07-25-2012, 09:59 AM

Thanks

TM

1. heck no, have you dont the lava caves? "incoming" "a kobold worker has died" "im a kobold on the edge" "you can hear the foremans voice echo down the caves" it will be cool the first dozen traps or so, but after memorizing trap locations, "look out theres a trap" or w/e corny dialogue turbine will give em your goin to be tellin the to ****. or iona says "something something something guardian" i dunno i dont pay attention to what she says its soft but annoying. Has anyone seen office space? if so think of that lady with the squeaky voice at the intro http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7P4ZAhIPkM

2. there is already a system like this in place, watch your screen not the long and you'll see [fill in name here has picked up your soulstone] and really if you wanna figure it out it takes 15 sec, run the other way. But again just watch your screen more closely and it already tells you

3. Heck no, i get way to many messages when i log on. I wish i could have a moments peace upon log on, and spamming a friends list would just add on to the 20+ /tells i have to juggle.

so pretty much, items 1 and 2 is about paying attention to your surroundings/screen, if you see a ! thats most likely one of a few things, guild hit level such and such, trap, your unbalanced (monk) or your hire spots something.

Xynot2
07-25-2012, 10:29 AM
While Im not on board for anything new that distracts the devs from fixing EVERYTHING...

#1- Im ok with
#2- Im ok with
#3 GAWD no! My friends list is full and I have 16 toons... imagine the number of messages.

Tshober
07-25-2012, 10:53 AM
1. I like this one. Would be helpful in a number of situations.

2. I am indifferent toward this one.

3. I am very much opposed to this one. I get too much spam already.

TrinityTurtle
07-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Thanks for taking the time to reply, your points are very informative for a new player like myself.

2 - Fair point. It's easy to check soulstones if everyone uses Voice Chat (or at least has their ears on) but this isn't always the case. Again, it's something I personally would find useful as I'm not so quick on the keys.

TM

Did you misunderstand the term party chat? You jumped strait to voice chat. It does not refer to voice chat, but to a typing channel everyone in a group has access too. You get a party chat when you join a group. It's under the party tab, but you can right click on any chat window, select "incoming text type" and have anything in anywindow. To access it for typing outside of party window use /p. Even for a slow typer if someone says "Does anyone have Xplyaer's soulstone" /p yes isn't long. :) Nor is /p pick me up please. And since a lot of people don't use/have ears or only speak limited english, it's an intengral tool. (I'm explaining this to reference to new user, I don't assume what anyone else knows).

Nice chatting with you though. :)

Thunder-Monkey
07-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Did you misunderstand the term party chat? You jumped strait to voice chat. It does not refer to voice chat, but to a typing channel everyone in a group has access too. You get a party chat when you join a group. It's under the party tab, but you can right click on any chat window, select "incoming text type" and have anything in anywindow. To access it for typing outside of party window use /p. Even for a slow typer if someone says "Does anyone have Xplyaer's soulstone" /p yes isn't long. :) Nor is /p pick me up please. And since a lot of people don't use/have ears or only speak limited english, it's an intengral tool. (I'm explaining this to reference to new user, I don't assume what anyone else knows).

Nice chatting with you though. :)

No misunderstanding Trinity, i'm aware of the party chat, i jumped straight on to VC to say that it's the most convenient way to clarify who's picked up the stone, but, as you say, it's not always in use by everyone in the party. Then i forgot to address your point on party chat.

Yes, it's no problem to quickly ask in the party chat if anyone got the stone, but i feel an automated party-wide message would be easier and quicker. One scenario i can think of where the whole party should be aware of stone activity is if your only healer (or trapper) dies - then the whole party should concentrate their efforts on getting the stone to a shrine. Again, it can all be organised through the chat window, but an automated message would remove any confusion and stop any unnecessary back-tracking.

Nice chatting to you too - and thanks for the /p tip!

TM

gerardIII
07-25-2012, 05:49 PM

That would be a door open to spammers.

You can create a userchat, with auto-join upon logging in.