PDA

View Full Version : XP and Consistency

karatemack
07-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Whenever a new class is released it is not compatible with veteran status for a limited time. One of the main reasons behind this is so people learn to play the class from the ground up. The principle being that hard work on the front end will lead to greater appreciation on the back end.

When stones of experience launched they were not usable on a character until level 8. We were told this was to prevent new players from being catapulted into high level content they would not be prepared to handle. Again, the devs stood by the principle that by forcing players work harder on the front end, greater satisfaction and appreciation for the game would be experienced on the back end.

Ok, so my question is why do we do it backwards with XP then? I understand that TR'ing used to be the endgame but it isn't anymore. With a level cap increase to 25 (and suspicion that the level cap may again be raised in the future) I believe it is time to apply the principle noted above consistently. First life toons should have to work a little harder on the front end so that they can really develop an appreciation for game play. These new toons should achieve level 20 at 4,378,500 with second life toons remaining the same and third life and after achieving level 20 at 1,900,000 xp. This would put the way XP works in line with the way everything else is rolled out currently.

Thoughts?

gphysalis
07-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Its easier to gain xp as a second or third life character
Needing 4mil xp on a first life character would drive people away from the game

Demaril
07-23-2012, 09:27 PM
a more powerful toon (and with gear its vastly more powerful) that requires less xp to lvl makes no sense at all

Talias006
07-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Consistency.... I do not think that word means what you think it means.

herzkos
07-23-2012, 10:13 PM
sorry mate, ridiculous idea.

creating a trumped up reason for why they restrict new classes and levelling stones does not
justify a change to the tr mechanism. Much less a reversal of the way the xp works.

Anyway, right, so a character with no gear(bound to character anyway) has to get more than twice
the xp of a 2xtr? right, that makes sense.

I think there are problems with the TR process but that ain't the way to solve it.
Not going to guess what your motivation was in starting this thread.

karatemack
07-23-2012, 10:33 PM
Consistency.... I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Consistency: steadfast adherence to the same principles, course, form

Maybe not.

akash
07-23-2012, 11:33 PM
If it requires people with no twink gear and skills to grind more XP to level, that will ultimately result frustration, and they may drop out early in the game. This situation is similar to the following picture:

http://m100group.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/failure-8.jpg

MRMechMan
07-23-2012, 11:40 PM
You want to make 1st lifers require more XP than 2nd and 3rd+ lifers?

Sorry, but that is rediculous.

shadereaper33
07-24-2012, 12:18 AM
I'm all for reducing the grind on multi-TR's but definitely not at the cost of putting that same grind on first lifers. That would quickly drive away a lot of people from this game, and with them a lot of revenue for turbine. Less revenue=less updates=dead game. No thanks.

Persiflage
07-24-2012, 07:38 AM
I'm all for reducing the grind on multi-TR's but definitely not at the cost of putting that same grind on first lifers. That would quickly drive away a lot of people from this game, and with them a lot of revenue for turbine. Less revenue=less updates=dead game. No thanks.

What you said. Having just hit 17 again on a multi-TR and facing that miserable 1.5million XP grind for my last three levels, I am *all* in favour of reducing the cost of TR'ing, but not like this. I can just imagine having to explain to a new player how much XP they'd need to acquire... *shudder*

Yes, it would drive new players away!

dng242
07-24-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm not certain the OP said to raise the XP required for the first life, just make follow up lives less than the first.

I agree the Dev's have used the philosophy, and thus it would make sense from that point. So to you question, yes.

However, I'm not in favor if changing it (at least not dramatically). Keep in mind, they basically lowered the XP greatly, but greatly increasing the earned xp (elite runs, streaks, tome of learning, etc). Imagine this grind without those things?

I'm also firmly of the belief that had the Dev's done this from day 1, the vast majority of posts would have agreed that it was the correct way.:)

MRMechMan
07-24-2012, 10:16 AM
How are they going to sell xp tomes if the last 2-4 levels of multi TRdom are not soulshatteringly painful without them?

Ditto on XP pots.

Alrik_Fassbauer
07-24-2012, 02:03 PM
You want to make 1st lifers require more XP than 2nd and 3rd+ lifers?

Sorry, but that is rediculous.

It is not logical anyway.

Who is making the greatest experience from cooking a complicated meal ?

The person who does it for the very first time,
or the trained cook/chef ?

Who is making the biggest experience when repairing a bicycle ? The person who does it for the first time or the trained mechanic ?

MRMechMan
07-24-2012, 02:12 PM
It is not logical anyway.

Who is making the greatest experience from cooking a complicated meal ?

The person who does it for the very first time,
or the trained cook/chef ?

Who is making the biggest experience when repairing a bicycle ? The person who does it for the first time or the trained mechanic ?

Reincarnation does not actually happen in the real world.

VorpalLaugh
07-24-2012, 03:13 PM
A terrible idea. As a first lifer I would almost definitely quit playing and will bet I wouldn't be the only one. I really enjoy the game but run on average only 5 - 10 quests a week, skewed heavily towards 5. It would take so long to level.

danotmano1998
07-24-2012, 03:20 PM
I'd be in favor of having the TR XP needed having a nice straight progression, as opposed to the wicked curve we have now.

I don't know that anything other than this simple change really needs to be done.
Other than making epic quests available for 18+ characters, perhaps.

Changing everything around for a first life is a bad idea.
The xp is fine where it is, makes it easy to level the first time and get a feel for playing and leveling without it feeling grindy. No thanks to your suggestion.

Drakesan
07-24-2012, 03:21 PM
How about spreading the xp needed evenly across the levels:

1st life: 95k per level
2nd: 157K per level
3rd+: 219K per level

And no, I am not serious... but I can dream....

Talias006
07-24-2012, 05:03 PM

I know you're not serious, you said so, but still suggestions like these are repulsive to even contemplate.
And not the least of which is the exp needed for each consecutive level per life increasing is based on pen&paper D&D.
You start out needing X(current level) to reach the next level.

IMHO, the exp per level of multiple TRs needs looked at.
It if my numbers are right, you need 1.65x first life exp to reach 20 on life 2, and 2.34x first life exp to reach 20 on life 3+.
Maybe they could reduce the progression to needing 1.35x first life exp to reach 20 on life 2 (2,565,000) and 1.7x to reach 20 on life 3+ (3,230,000).

That would make it less of a grind to ordinary gamers.
It would still be more work than first life, but not as (mentally) abusive TR's are now.

MRMechMan
07-24-2012, 06:32 PM

I hope your dreams do not become reality :P

So 95k to get to level 2 instead of 5k for first lifers?

219k to get to level 2 instead of 5.5k for 3rd+ lifers?

You might want to rethink that. I agree that the curve steepens too much at 16+ and 18+ in particular...but that is a terrible suggestion.

V_mad_jester_V
07-24-2012, 08:14 PM
@ the op, woah woah woah, these forums only have room for one crazy person and suggestions and thats me. making harder for a first lifer is a no go though. It took me 3 days to get to level 16 and i wanna keep that progression rate as a first lifer, no endless droning through quest i hate, and being a tr is an extension to the first life.

Alrik_Fassbauer
07-25-2012, 06:16 AM
It took me 3 days to get to level 16

I needed half a year.

Reincarnation does not actually happen in the real world.

What do you want to say to me with this remark ?

MRMechMan
07-25-2012, 06:40 AM
I needed half a year.

What do you want to say to me with this remark ?

You see, I've chosen my words perfectly!

Xynot2
07-25-2012, 02:39 PM
You want consistency?
Make all quests of the same level get X xp for 1-15 min run and Y xp for 15+
Then you would have more quests actually being run.
Of course that would mean they would have to get the difficulty/lv balanced out.

karatemack
07-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Ok... you guys win... just do away with the XP curve and make XP to 20 1,900,000 across the board...

How much does XP scale in Epic levels? How much does XP scale when you finish your first ED and begin the second? Hmmm...