PDA

View Full Version : What 4 things would you do to improve DDO

Failedlegend
07-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Hey aside from fixing lag, bugs,etc what 4 things do you think could be included or improved in DDO to make it that much better assuming you had direct control of the dev teams...try to avoid small things and be sure to give your reasoning...anyways here's mine.

1. Cosmetics - I think this system needs a huge overall the character creation is forgettable at best and the DDOstore items are a pain...the best ones are the armor kits since their permanently applied, any of the cosmetics than work like potions are a waste of time and the WORST ones are the shields which are actually items.

For character creation I'd say adding a simple sliders for height, build ,etc. would go a long way to allowing people to personalize their characters but I'd love to see more

As for the DDO Store Cosmetics I'd like to AT LEAST see everything work the same as the armor kits (including the ability to freely preview) but I'd rather they give us a secondary slot for cosmetic purposes only allowing us to keep the item with the stats we want in the main slot and what we want it to look like in the secondary slot both ddostore cosmetic items and any item (of the same type of course) can be put in here. Of course this would take some work so it would make sense that these slots would be locked behind a TP gate...a cheap one at least...say 100TP per slot per character. This would in turn incentivize the Devs to create more visual option such as gloves, cape, boots,etc.

2. Conflicting Enhancements, PrEs, Etc. - Alot of PrEs can't be taken together (ie. Assassin + Battle Engineer) which is really easy to not notice, they fixed alot of this when the changes skill enhancements to generic ones but I'd love them to take it one step further are generalize anything that's not class specific like Mana ENs (Strong Mind), Class Stat ENs (Mighty Strength, Incredible Intelligence,etc.), the various action boosts (ie. Haste Boost), etc.

3. Ranged getting shafted - Alot of abilities fail to work with ranged some of which of course make sense (ie. Cleave) although could probably have something similar to match (ie. spread shot) but most don't...Assassinate, Ki Gen, etc. I'd love at least a confirmation from the Devs whether this is WAI or not.

3b. Archer's Focus - Good in concept but frankly wholly against the ranged combat playstyle which is all about out maneuvering your enemy (ie. My Wizard AA loves throwing down an AOE or 2 and jumping around forcing the enemies to walk through it while launching a barrage of arrows...works especially well with a bunch of Melee allies) as opposed to focusing on being heavily armored,etc. and Archer's focus forces us to not move to gets it affect

3c. Quivers - This ones simple...quivers in the hotbar should be equipped when clicked not opened...would nice to be able to name them and other containers as well

4. Expand the weapon set function - I honestly only use the function for S&B (don't have a TWF) and I'd like to see the function expanded to full sets of equipment...would do alot to expedite changing from so your DPS set to your Tanking set than of course to you UMD Set to raise the cleric...it would work exactly the same...just drag the set of items you want into the box and your golden....alternatively it could be the 3rd tab in the Inventory window (after the two item screens before the cosmetic pet tab) with multiple equipment setups that are exactly the same as the regular equip area ...I'd say make the first two tabs free than more avail through the DDO store (note: leave the current simple weapon sets as is)

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo93/Failedlegend/EquipmentSets.jpg

As you can see from the shoddily photoshopped image you can use the equipment UI on the left by dragging various pieces of equipment from the handy section on the right which is an extended inventory UI with only equippable items shown. The tabs at the top of the left are the separate sets and can be dragged to the Hotbar..probably look something like this.

http://canada.creditcards.com/assets/images/step-1-search.png
http://canada.creditcards.com/assets/images/step-2-compare.png

So whats your ideas...oh and feel free to comment on others ideas :)

rayworks
07-22-2012, 12:08 PM
1. Fix the bugs.
2. Fix the Prestige enhancements (yeah, planned for update 15, but we all know it will be horrid).
3. Fix the bugs.
4. Fix the bugs.

Failedlegend
07-22-2012, 12:13 PM
1. Fix the bugs.
2. Fix the Prestige enhancements (yeah, planned for update 15, but we all know it will be horrid).
3. Fix the bugs.
4. Fix the bugs.

1,3,& 4 were specifically mentioned to not be included...2 is in the works...if your not going to provide anything useful don't bother posting -1 to you sir.

Galeria
07-22-2012, 12:15 PM
What would I do? I'd work on some of the low-hanging fruit, relatively easy stuff that would make life easier for players.

1.) Make all inventory spaces sortable by ML, searchable and categorized. Backpack, shared bank, character bank, TR cache. Standardize the UI for inventory and add functionality.

2.) Remove the crazy border colors that signify nothing useful but add confusion and eyestrain.

3.) Create unique icons for named loot instead of reusing the same icons over and over. So players can tell their Jet boots from their Anchor boots.

4.) Create categories for green ingredients bags similar to collectible bags so that players can find their stuff.

Bonus: I'd add more search options to the AH for things like effects (Thaurmaturgy) and guild slots.

Super Bonus: I'd invest some serious time into reworking the character sheets to display more relevant stats.

TrinityTurtle
07-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Hm...

1) A Ravenloft expansion. Probably accessible through the FR, since it already is, people have fallen into RL from FR before. :) I Love Ravenloft, and their work on quests like The Missing and Murder by Moonlight show a strong potential for them to do creepy, well done RL, and it would a chance of emotional tone from the other things.

2) A heck of a lot more facial customization! Everyone really looks the same to me no matter how much you whirl around the choices, it bothers me. I know it's silly, but this is our wishlist thing right? I would like to be able to tell other players apart in a quest other than to hope someone has flaming pink hair so I can tell the humans apart quickly.

3) Limit custom pets (yes, even my beloved cube Cheddar) to public areas. They are annoying motion distractions in fights.

4) A steady trickle of new content. It doesn't have to be huge like MOTU, but a new small pack every coupla months would be lovely. I don't even care if it has named loot, as long as it is something new and fun to do. Looking through the adventure compendium and shoring up the levels that have a dearth of quests would be a lovely idea, offering more choice to players as they are working on their toons. It seemed like they were doing good for a while with a release every other month, then it tapered off a lot.

dodger72
07-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Actually...It's an open forum....which means it's everyone's thread regardless of who began the discussion. Start your own seperate forum/website if you want to claim ownership.

That being said.

1. Fix what needs to be fixed.
2. sliders for height/girth/hair length = a more unique toon
3. balance out the epic's a bit better, they are a bit too easy.

Neg rep away. I don't care.

Xynot2
07-22-2012, 12:58 PM
1) Work on the difficulty settings where moderate players could complete every quest on normal and on elite for those quests that have epic settings.

2) Make the XP for quests like this: Each quest has an average amount of time. 1-10 min = X xp and 10+=Y xp so that all quests of the same level have the same amount of XP to give a variety of quests that people WANT to do. There are a TON of quests people do for XP only, favor only or farm for 1 item only. With a more difficult quest, make this the place for rare drops. Making XP standardized will put the TRs to work finding the fastest XP and give the newbs a shot at doing quests with an experienced player who wont feel threatened by their presence.

3) Extend the search capabilities of the AH so we can search for things by effect. Add in clickie as a searchable name.

4) Do more sales promotion. Turbine did a good job with selling MotU by giving 3 quests that lead up to it and then giving people stones that gave them the XP to do them in order to tease them into buying it. So why not do that for all of the quests? AND... add in an add placard that auto opens DDO store and default page is the *current sales* page. You burried the ddo store Icon in your little hotbar swap to a windows button, put a placcard in every major zone. 1 on korthos, in the harbor, market and each house.

4a) Ban the word *soon* from the vocabulary of all Turbine employee when ask *how long*. We estimate or we dont know is better than soon.

Failedlegend
07-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Wow didn't expect so many responses...well here goes

1.) Make all inventory spaces sortable by ML, searchable and categorized. Backpack, shared bank, character bank, TR cache. Standardize the UI for inventory and add functionality.

Yeah the recent UI changes have been a godsend (IMO) and I could never complain about further improvement...I mean were here to fight monsters not clunky UIs :P

2.) Remove the crazy border colors that signify nothing useful but add confusion and eyestrain.

Yeah this part I didn't really get. It doesn't bother me but I feel it was a bit of a waste of time for whichever dev(s) worked on it

3.) Create unique icons for named loot instead of reusing the same icons over and over. So players can tell their Jet boots from their Anchor boots.

Yeah most definitely...I hope my equipment set idea can reduce the need for this but when i look at my row of gloves named or otherwise in the heat of batttle I'd rather be able to "see" the difference than have to mouse-over each one or somehow memorize them

Actually what I'd LOVE to see is Turbine running contests to get people to submit Icon work (or anything really)...rules would be need to be made of course...must be original art, must be a certain size,etc....they could list a bunch of items they want better icons for and the top entry for each item would be used (all submissions would of course belong to Turbine) and they could give out like a minor prize in the form f either in game stuff, maybe a forum title (cause I'm Canadian and know I can't enter contests that give out turbine points since their always limited to the US) or even a mention in the flavour text somehow

On top of that if they encourage players to spread the word they could both get some wicked talent and some free advertising.

4.) Create categories for green ingredients bags similar to collectible bags so that players can find their stuff.

Most definitely If implemented I would hope at that greater ingredient and less ones were either separate or organized...maybe even a separate subsection for each element with both the greater and lesser version.

I'd also like to see the majority of item collectors removed (keep the ones with actual useful stuff like Bags, the PM trader,etc. and mash of few together to make arcane scroll guy etc.) and make the remaining guys into barters instead of random trades. Lastly stick the collectables into their relative locations by type...ie. Cannith Crafting, PM Guy, Planar Guy, etc. removing any overlap

Bonus: I'd add more search options to the AH for things like effects (Thaurmaturgy) and guild slots.

Good bonus...especially the guild slot part

Super Bonus: I'd invest some serious time into reworking the character sheets to display more relevant stats.

Indeed...it looks even worse when put up against the newer UIs in DDO. I'd also like it if they just outright removed the square boxes around the UIs ie. the Inventory UI...the inside is nice but the windowed bit makes it look dated. The entire adventure compedium is really dated looking too. One step at a time though eh :D

Hm...

1) A Ravenloft expansion. Probably accessible through the FR, since it already is, people have fallen into RL from FR before. :) I Love Ravenloft, and their work on quests like The Missing and Murder by Moonlight show a strong potential for them to do creepy, well done RL, and it would a chance of emotional tone from the other things.

Heh I'd be up to get some Krynn in there to...personally if I was a Dev Team leader I'd put that on the "Great Ideas for later board" :D

2) A heck of a lot more facial customization! Everyone really looks the same to me no matter how much you whirl around the choices, it bothers me. I know it's silly, but this is our wishlist thing right? I would like to be able to tell other players apart in a quest other than to hope someone has flaming pink hair so I can tell the humans apart quickly.

No argument here ANYTHING (well almost anything...pervs :P) that allows more customization can't hurt

3) Limit custom pets (yes, even my beloved cube Cheddar) to public areas. They are annoying motion distractions in fights.

I'd day make it a personal option...personally when rolling with my static groups we love carrying around summons, hirelings and companions just for fun but outside of that I'd rather not see em in quests. An option to make everyone's summons micro would be nice too.

2. sliders for height/girth/hair length = a more unique toon

Hair Length's a good one too :D

Make the XP for quests like this: Each quest has an average amount of time. 1-10 min = X xp and 10+=Y xp so that all quests of the same level have the same amount of XP to give a variety of quests that people WANT to do. There are a TON of quests people do for XP only, favor only or farm for 1 item only. With a more difficult quest, make this the place for rare drops. Making XP standardized will put the TRs to work finding the fastest XP and give the newbs a shot at doing quests with an experienced player who wont feel threatened by their presence.

So in short...Make XP per minute the same across all quests (of the same level) with the better named loot showing up in raids and the harder/more complex quests?

4a) Ban the word *soon* from the vocabulary of all Turbine employee when ask *how long*. We estimate or we dont know is better than soon.

Heh woldn't work the crafty buggers would just use a new word like Almost, It's Coming, not quite,etc. :P

Alaunra2010
07-22-2012, 03:53 PM
1) User Interface:

Refine the presentation of cues as to when characters have disease, poison, need restoration, or need to be healed by negative energy. These need to be represented near the character's name IN THE PARTY LIST.
Marry the features between the mini map, the main play area, and the party list. When I click on someone in any of those three areas, the player's representation should -always- highlight in the other two. So when I click a character's name in the party list, the character in the main playing area as well as the character's map dot highlight accordingly. The three areas need to work simultaneously.
Add all NPC allies to the Party bar in a special section so their welfare can be monitored.

2) Mentor system

Devise some way by which a high-level character could enter a dungeon with lower-level characters in such a way that the low-level characters would still benefit from the quest without penalty.

3) Make an epic version of every single quest in the game for ultimate replayability

Yes, every single one.

4) Cosmetics

Make a cosmetics page on the character sheet and slot cosmetics parallel to normal equipment. The slotted cosmetic appearance would then override the appearance of any real equipment you slot. This allows someone to keep armor appearance permanently rather than apply it and have to buy it again later when better armor is found. Hair styles and hair colors also.

Kinerd
07-22-2012, 05:03 PM
1. Communication, communication, communication. At least say what you did, ideally say why you did it.

2. Upper level decision makers are out of touch. Chattering Ring for Greater Halfling Bane. Nuking ship buffs was bad enough, but the remedies offered were just embarrassing: first nothing, then a discount to buy what we had already bought, then a coupon for about one day's worth of buffs. I don't know how to fix this, but it's got to be fixed.

3. More focus on playability. To their credit, they've started talking about addressing these issues, and it's a good start. Keep it going.

4. Decide what you are going to do with VIPs. It's not good to have a very poorly defined set of benefits that are subject to sudden and inexplicable changes. If you have known for however long (a year? two?) that you were going to release a massive expansion for real world $ only, and you chose not to release that information to the people who decided to purchase a subscription that promised access to 100% of content in that time, that's crappy.

Failedlegend
07-22-2012, 05:14 PM
1. Communication, communication, communication. At least say what you did, ideally say why you did it.

Would be nice if at LEAST when we finally get the release notes those actually give us all the changes...sans stuff like new items, spoilers about new quests,etc. of course

As for general pre-release communications...would be nice to know where their at with the new enhancement system because honestly while the new stuff is awesome and I'm really looking forward to getting into Normal Epic stuff with my static group were far more excited (and worried) about the enhancement system.

Memnir
07-22-2012, 05:27 PM
Greater Emphasis on Correcting Problems/Errors/Bugs
QA for this game is in shambles. I get that the code is complex and showing it's age... but that is becoming a stale excuse. There must be an increased focus on fixing errors before they hit the live servers, and on resolving the ones that already have. Hire more people if need be, but this has gone on for far too long and is becoming my largest issue with the game. Enough is enough... QA needs to move it's bowels or get off the pot.

Improved Base Armor/Robe/Docents/Outfit/Weapon Graphics.
This has been the Art Department's greatest stumbling block since the game launched. Sure, there have been some really fantastic gear produced - but the large majority of it is pretty awful. Kits have improved matters somewhat, but that still does not solve the matter if one does not have the points to spend on kits. Random-Gen armor needs an overhauls and improvements in graphics.

Ditto for weapons, which have not received any new looks for base weapons in years. Again, there are some nice examples of specific new looks - but the day-to-day graphics could, again, use some spicing up.

And Docents have looked really bad for a really long time.

Restore Warforged
Warforged being poisoned and diseased is not only stupid, it's contrary to core-Eberron lore. It defeats a lot of the reasons to play that race and put up with the draw-backs. Speaking of their draw-backs, the Healer's Friend enhancement has been too expensive for too long, with marginal benefits. And fix it already.

Overhaul Dragonmarks
I know there have been rumblings about this over the years, but they remain one of the biggest wastes of Feats in the game beyond niche builds and the Halfling 'marks. Which is a shame, because they are a huge and interesting part of the core setting of Eberron, and this game has chronically made poor use of them.

BONUS!!!
Druids
After waiting for them since the 06 launch, I wish they'd stayed missing. They are terrible, and the fact that Turbine is charging for them is shameful. Their Wildshape needs a total do-over, there should never be melee abilities taking up spell-slots, their pets are horrid, their summons remain useless, and their PrEs are indescribably bad.

I've run out of phrases and synonyms for to describe what a waste Druids are.

Galeria
07-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Some more relatively small fixes to make players happy:

Make the selected quest difficulty appear on the LFM board, not in a mouseover.

Add LFM display options for playstyle (Fast/Slow, Opts/No Opts, etc)

Have a floaty text warning when someone enters a dungeon and is getting a -50%/-80%. Another floaty text when it goes down.

And every single thing Memnir said.

Fefnir_2011
07-22-2012, 05:42 PM
1-2 hours free in the workday for Turbine employees to build cool stuff or fix old stuff, their choice.
Mobile/social gaming division to create cool mini-games that provide small but tangible in-game benefits for participation. Says, +1 to loot for a week or a Kobold costmetic hat for getting a high score.
Fan participation, like a contest to write a story for a one-off dungeon for a story arc or a new armor/weapon skin. Winner could get a small amount of TP and see their work get put in-game.
Fix the login bug that makes me lose a whole post and have to type it again because my login timed out.

DanteEnFuego
07-22-2012, 05:46 PM
1. Sort by ML inventory.
2. Search across toons and in banks/bags.
3. Heal Amp and other stats on the Character Tab!!!!!!
4. Epic WW!

Failedlegend
07-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Improved Base Armor/Robe/Docents/Outfit/Weapon Graphics.
This has been the Art Department's greatest stumbling block since the game launched. Sure, there have been some really fantastic gear produced - but the large majority of it is pretty awful. Kits have improved matters somewhat, but that still does not solve the matter if one does not have the points to spend on kits. Random-Gen armor needs an overhauls and improvements in graphics.

Ditto for weapons, which have not received any new looks for base weapons in years. Again, there are some nice examples of specific new looks - but the day-to-day graphics could, again, use some spicing up.

Indeed Memnir this game is indeed old and I really hope the graphical upstep in FR and the coming enhancement overhaul (which I'm both salivating over and dreading simultaneously) are a sign of a step by step overhaul of the various systems.

If the art team needs help I again suggest running weekly or whatever contests for minor prizes consisting of concept art, icon work,etc. barring any legal issues it could help put a bit if there not enough funds for more employees

And Docents have looked really bad for a really long time.

I'd like to at least see some more variety based on the effect n the docent + Armor feat (which IMO should be a free racial feat and should have a Crystal option for Casters IOW 0% ASF but 0AC Boni) like actual robes instead of a piece of cloth on their shoulder.

Overhaul Dragonmarks
I know there have been rumblings about this over the years, but they remain one of the biggest wastes of Feats in the game beyond niche builds and the Halfling 'marks. Which is a shame, because they are a huge and interesting part of the core setting of Eberron, and this game has chronically made poor use of them.

Yes this VERY MUCH this I have always loved Ebberon and is one of the main reasons I tried DDO and it saddens me that this is so underused and mostly ignored

Druids
After waiting for them since the 06 launch, I wish they'd stayed missing. They are terrible, and the fact that Turbine is charging for them is shameful. Their Wildshape needs a total do-over, there should never be melee abilities taking up spell-slots, their pets are horrid, their summons remain useless, and their PrEs are indescribably bad.

I've run out of phrases and synonyms for to describe what a waste Druids are.

I have only played my Druid a bit but I do have to agree the form abilities taking spell slots is a quite nonsensical, should be active sub-feats received when you choose the relevant form and have lvl pre-reqs.

My biggest disappointment is the lack of Drunk love...even worse its detrimental to splash as it reduces any form melee damage to 1d6...at least make it so the highest applies although I'd prefer if it stacked. (A Monk/Druid/Cursed Soul would be fun...too bad were limited to Favored Soul)

Summons being useless isn't really a Druid issue...summons just suck as for the companion...well IMO opinion the Arty Construct and the Druid Animal Companion are passable but could use some improvements...just be happy their not the Pale Master Minion.

The PrEs are...well I had to ask which enhancements were the PrEs when I first started playing my Druid...that's bad PrEs should stick out like a sore thumb when compared to standard enhancements power wise

dterror
07-22-2012, 06:16 PM
I didn't say it was more important it's just not productive at this point I'm sure their doing everything they can to squash the bugs so it's far more productive to make constructive suggestions than constantly whine about Bugs and the "so-called" lag.

Besides this IS my thread...if you don't have anything relevant to post why bother to?

Oh and FYI it's Q&A that handles bugs,etc. not the Devs

No, QA helps FIND the bugs, the devs HANDLE the bugs once found.

Jasparion
07-22-2012, 06:31 PM
1. Balancing XP across the dungeons so there isnt a need to run a few dungeons a heap of times, and feeling bad about running some of the dungeons even once (keep the good XP dungeons as they are, boost the poor XP dungeons)
2. Enhancement/Class fixes boosting the struggling classes (really this is Bard and Paladin but Im sure all the others could use some love)
3. Inventory fixes (especially ML cache being alphabetical, or level based, or maybe giving us the option to choose how to sort)
4. Even though apparently Im not meant to say this - Bugs taking top priority (1 month in and there is still some significant stuff broken)

V_mad_jester_V
07-22-2012, 06:39 PM
wow i love how people turn threads like this into a "fix all the bugs" thread, thats GRANTED, everyone knows that, thats not something needing to be mentioned in EVERY suggestions thread, its a given that it needs to be done. They will do it so its less of a suggestion and more of a nag. When the next update comes out more bugs will be fixed, the update after that more bugs would be fixed, update after that again more bugs will be fixed, and for every update where bugs are fixed, bugs are made. Its a never ending vicious cycle.

1. Better ui options/settings
2. Better map system single floor maps are alright, but multi story maps get hard to read after a while, (the pit is a perfect example)
3. more character customization options
4. less shroud runs (10 maybe) for cleansing. (getting gs is such a grind fest to begin with, with getting mats and stones from each quest)

OldCoaly
07-22-2012, 07:16 PM
1) Validate that "changes" do or do not result in intended outcomes by TESTING them on the live servers.

Tell us about the successful changes! They need not all be high-profile wins. Fixed a ladder and the "Fix" fixed it? Let us know!

2) Make the REAL Known Bug List accessible to the customers. Include the date that the bug was originally reported.

To be clear, I'm aware that there is a ''known issues list (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=150534)'', and I'm not talking about that.

I'm talking about the list that has bugs such as ''In the Test of Agility, If you pick up the Horn BEFORE the door closes, the door will close, not re-open, and you will be stuck in this room. To avoid this issue, when you step through the door opening, wait for the door to close and THEN proceed to pick up the horn. (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=367778)"

Seriously, though. Make this list customer-facing so that community members can link other players directly to specific known issues both open and ''resolved''.

3) Have the devs play the game they make for us.

Perhaps twice a year, right after major updates are released, for a week a few of the developers would play this game anonymously on live servers. Two to Three hours an evening for at least four days during the first week.

After this week, they would retire their character, make its name known and its progression viewable via My.DDO.

If the developers who did this also wrote a couple paragraphs telling us how they like the things they've done to the game, speaking from the documented context of having participated in pick-up groups, I'm sure it would make the player base feel as though the developers were even more engaged in the game.

That's only three, unless you count "fix My.DDO" as another item, since it's included in #3.

Bakalakadaka
07-23-2012, 01:57 AM
1. Cosmetics - ..... but I'd rather they give us a secondary slot for cosmetic purposes only allowing us to keep the item with the stats we want in the main slot and what we want it to look like in the secondary slot both ddostore cosmetic items and any item (of the same type of course) can be put in here. Of course this would take some work so it would make sense that these slots would be locked behind a TP gate...a cheap one at least...say 100TP per slot per character. This would in turn incentivize the Devs to create more visual option such as gloves, cape, boots,etc.

What you are talking about here is basically the LOTRO (Turbine's other game) style of cosmetics which is what they should have done in the first place. LOTRO's system is without doubt the best approach to cosmetic appearance of any game. You can have up to 8 appearances defined - 1 based on what you are wearing and 7 cosmetic ones which can be configured using any combination of either looted gear, social items (from events etc) or cosmetic only items from the store. You start with 3 free cosmetic slots and can buy the others for 495tp each - these are purchased per account but can be configured independently per character. The cosmetic appearance has no impact on your stats and once it is defined you can sell/dispose/bank/whatever the piece used to create the appearance. You also have a wardrobe which acts like a shared bank but only for appearance items (again any combination of loot or purchased/social items) and again once an item is in the wardrobe you can get rid of the original but still use the appearance on any character.

This is the way that they should have gone instead of the blatant money grab of armor kits and there was no real excuse for doing it that way instead of learning from the LOTRO team. Having to buy a new armor kit every time you change gear just to keep an appearance you like is just silly. Putting one on a BTA set isn't too bad as you can reuse it on another character but otherwise they are just a waste of TP. Some allowances would need to be made for the fact that DDO bases your whole look on just the chest & helm/goggles pieces (LOTRO has seven pieces making up your look so you can mix and match) but otherwise the system should have been brought across as is instead of the useless one they gave us.

3b. Archer's Focus - Good in concept but frankly wholly against the ranged combat playstyle which is all about out maneuvering your enemy (ie. My Wizard AA loves throwing down an AOE or 2 and jumping around forcing the enemies to walk through it while launching a barrage of arrows...works especially well with a bunch of Melee allies) as opposed to focusing on being heavily armored,etc. and Archer's focus forces us to not move to gets it affect

Personally disagree as I play my AA very differently. I stand as far back as possible and plant as many arrows as I can into my foe from a distance, preferably when they are in a position where they cannot get to me but even if they can they will normally be dead long before they get near. This one is a matter of play style so rather than changing focus perhaps make it work differently if you have the Shot-on-the-Run Feat allowing you to also gain focus when moving as well as while standing still.

3c. Quivers - This ones simple...quivers in the hotbar should be equipped when clicked not opened...would nice to be able to name them and other containers as well

So totally /signed. This is something that is long overdue

4. Expand the weapon set function - I honestly only use the function for S&B (don't have a TWF) and I'd like to see the function expanded to full sets of equipment...

Champions Online has a similar feature (or it did have - not sure if it changed when it went FtP) where you could define three builds each of which had a different equipment set, appearance and (potentialy) power set. You could thus quickly swap between offence, defence, healing, support etc as needed based on your defined build. Best thing was that the equipment could actually be left in your bank and when you swapped your current gear was placed in the bank and the new gear appeared on your body - saved on time and backpack storage.

Entelech
07-23-2012, 02:28 AM
(1) Better management. Specifically, we've seen a lot of things in recent months that boil down to poor communication, poor project management (i.e. the latest wedge of incomplete content, bugs, lag / crashing getting released to live) and carelessness (forgetting to renew Domain registration).

(2) Cosmetics. Especially regarding shields.

(3) MITHRAL AND ADAMANTINE IN THE NEW RANDOM LOOT.

(4) Get rid of Elminster. Forgotten Realms would be almost tolerable without that bearded, pipe-smoking old creep. There's not ACTUALLY a law saying that he needs to show up in every single AD&D adventure, despite what Ed Greenwood seems to think, you know.

(5) PLEASE GOD, I know what's going to happen. Elminster had his greasy fingerprints all over this expansion, and next update it's going to be Drizz't do'Urden. The music for Otto's Sphere of Dancing is going to change to Bauhaus. The only named loot from the raids will be magic scimitars with Brooding +15 or Sulking +15 (determined randomly). And "Has Mommy Issues" will become a new Drow Prestige Enhancement. Just...don't. Iconic NPC's are no fun, since to be iconic, they have to take the focus away from the PC's.

Alrik_Fassbauer
07-23-2012, 05:17 AM
The "create group" dialog is imho in dire need of a serious overhaul.

Reason is :

- too much information crammed up in too little space
- no separation of fields
- edit fields being just too short (read : cannot take up enough words) - a string length of at least 100 or so characters should be there
- doesn't look nice at all, from a design perspective

Failedlegend
07-23-2012, 11:15 AM
What you are talking about here is basically the LOTRO (Turbine's other game) style of cosmetics which is what they should have done in the first place. LOTRO's system is without doubt the best approach to cosmetic appearance of any game. You can have up to 8 appearances defined - 1 based on what you are wearing and 7 cosmetic ones which can be configured using any combination of either looted gear, social items (from events etc) or cosmetic only items from the store. You start with 3 free cosmetic slots and can buy the others for 495tp each - these are purchased per account but can be configured independently per character. The cosmetic appearance has no impact on your stats and once it is defined you can sell/dispose/bank/whatever the piece used to create the appearance. You also have a wardrobe which acts like a shared bank but only for appearance items (again any combination of loot or purchased/social items) and again once an item is in the wardrobe you can get rid of the original but still use the appearance on any character.

This is the way that they should have gone instead of the blatant money grab of armor kits and there was no real excuse for doing it that way instead of learning from the LOTRO team. Having to buy a new armor kit every time you change gear just to keep an appearance you like is just silly. Putting one on a BTA set isn't too bad as you can reuse it on another character but otherwise they are just a waste of TP. Some allowances would need to be made for the fact that DDO bases your whole look on just the chest & helm/goggles pieces (LOTRO has seven pieces making up your look so you can mix and match) but otherwise the system should have been brought across as is instead of the useless one they gave us.

Unfortunately the Devs here seem wholly against using anything even remotely close to anything from LOTRO. Which is unfortunate because while I don't like LOTRO much it has alot of good ideas hidden within it...namely character creation, cosmetic system, the crafting and the weird quests (ie. One quest you become a chicken and have to warn the other coops in the area about a wolf attack)

I'm sure there's more but I never made it past noob-hood in LOTRO

Personally disagree as I play my AA very differently. I stand as far back as possible and plant as many arrows as I can into my foe from a distance, preferably when they are in a position where they cannot get to me but even if they can they will normally be dead long before they get near. This one is a matter of play style so rather than changing focus perhaps make it work differently if you have the Shot-on-the-Run Feat allowing you to also gain focus when moving as well as while standing still.

Yeah if they did that I'd be fine that way both playstyles can remain and whilst the active style has an advantage it takes a heavy feat investment.

Tshober
07-24-2012, 03:03 PM
[COLOR=paleturquoise]What you are talking about here is basically the LOTRO (Turbine's other game) style of cosmetics which is what they should have done in the first place. LOTRO's system is without doubt the best approach to cosmetic appearance of any game.

You have obviously never played City of Heroes. Their cosmetic customizations make LOTRO look really weak by comparison. And make DDO's look laughable. It is an entirely different game setting though, so some of what they allow would not be appropriate in DDO or LOTRO. CoH spoiled me forever when it comes to appearance customizaion. Nothing else I have played even comes close. And I have played a lot of MMO's.

janave
07-25-2012, 02:42 AM
Heres mine:

1. Finish all prestige classes -- IP :D.
2. Make Druid a top tier caster choice, its lackluster at the moment. Melee focused forms need major buffs as well. -- Lots of people shelfed or TRd their Druids after reaching 20.
3. Drop the PDK vendor Favor to 250pts. -- have been discussed.
4. Commendations, and Eveningstar challenge mats to BtA, Challenge items to BtCoE.

Bonus: Add an Eveningstar Challenge Vendor option for a *special turn in* gamble:
* Providing a special list that may contain several items of:

Accessories: Trinkets, Rings, Necklaces Etc (+8stat possible on lvl24 turn ins)
Rare Drops: 5% Loot Boost, Exp Pots, ...
Rarer Drops: 0.67% for tomes: lvl16/+2 -- lvl20/+3 -- lvl24/+4

Alrik_Fassbauer
07-25-2012, 06:14 AM
You have obviously never played City of Heroes. Their cosmetic customizations make LOTRO look really weak by comparison. And make DDO's look laughable. It is an entirely different game setting though, so some of what they allow would not be appropriate in DDO or LOTRO. CoH spoiled me forever when it comes to appearance customizaion. Nothing else I have played even comes close. And I have played a lot of MMO's.

Play SIMs Medieval (RPG-ish) or The SIMs altogether.

Look here, for example : http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Create_a_Sim

Xynot2
07-25-2012, 02:44 PM
So in short...Make XP per minute the same across all quests (of the same level) with the better named loot showing up in raids and the harder/more complex quests?

Exactly- of course they would have to get actual difficulty balanced out to do this but yeah. It would cure a lot of the complaints of *no one runs my favorite quest any more* by giving TRs a single set of quests that give top XP. They would all give the same.

Failedlegend
07-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Exactly- of course they would have to get actual difficulty balanced out to do this but yeah. It would cure a lot of the complaints of *no one runs my favorite quest any more* by giving TRs a single set of quests that give top XP. They would all give the same.

Would be nice if they fixed the length estimates I've played PLENTY of "verĂ¿ long" quests that lasted like 20mins and "Short" quests that lasted at least 30

Jay203
07-25-2012, 04:56 PM
1) nerf the **** out of everything so the game is back to being builds matter more than equipments
2) plan the stacking of bonuses better so the stats doing inflate out of control
3)fk' off with the enemy blanket immunities
4)upgrade enemy AI... like... A LOT...

Thorzian
07-25-2012, 05:01 PM
1. finish pre's.. tier 3 each.. and make any of them good. right now rangers are an absolute joke.

2. more forgotten realms! from eveningstar its a short hop to shadowdale or suzail or auronoch.

3. 3-1 epic scroll trade ins any 3 of a set for 1 from the same set like the current desert system
3b. every player pulls a shard every time bigtop style in every epic quest shards drop in
3c. higher drop rate for seals.
basically, make it a little easier to equip the epic stuff.

4. lose the reflex save spells from raid bosses!! ddo has encouraged time and time again fighter or paladin tanks via pre's, epic destinies, many named gear items/sets. and yet the 80 intimidate/110 ac tank toon gets decimated by a fireball from suolomades on elite or voltron on epic elite. fighters and paladins dont get evasion so why push them as tanks and then make raid bosses evasion nescessary?

Drekisen
07-25-2012, 05:02 PM
1. Limit people to only being able to make one character....marriage *GAH!!!* try a new game once in a while.

2. First 20th raid completion is a guaranteed full list...one time only.

3. Increase scroll/seal/shard drop rates at least a little

4. Take more time to release updates so they are less buggy and do what they claim

Sgt_Hart
07-25-2012, 05:05 PM
4. Expand the weapon set function - I honestly only use the function for S&B (don't have a TWF) and I'd like to see the function expanded to full sets of equipment...would do alot to expedite changing from so your DPS set to your Tanking set than of course to you UMD Set to raise the cleric...it would work exactly the same...just drag the set of items you want into the box and your golden....alternatively it could be the 3rd tab in the Inventory window (after the two item screens before the cosmetic pet tab) with multiple equipment setups that are exactly the same as the regular equip area ...I'd say make the first two tabs free than more avail through the DDO store (note: leave the current simple weapon sets as is)

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo93/Failedlegend/EquipmentSets.jpg

As you can see from the shoddily photoshopped image you can use the equipment UI on the left by dragging various pieces of equipment from the handy section on the right which is an extended inventory UI with only equippable items shown. The tabs at the top of the left are the separate sets and can be dragged to the Hotbar..probably look something like this. feel free to comment on others ideas

Might be easier both UI wise and functionality wise.. to just b eable to drag the paper-doll(The humanoid behind the Armor toggle) onto a weapon set and have it save "Presently equipped load-out" if you want to get that into it.

That's just how I'd handle it though.

EDIT: And tack on a "Select Display picture" out of the items in each set. I.E. "Tank" load out can be set to display shield(and only shield), "DPS" set to display weapon(and only weapon) "UMD" set to display Trinket, or cloak, or whatever. would add in tremendous ease-of-use with regards to the guys with 14 different set's.

Kushiel
07-25-2012, 05:16 PM
1) Decrease cooldown on: Manyshot (by a significant amount) and True Strike (by around half).

2) Change Manyshot from a decrementing Clock to a decrimenting Count of shots available.

3) Add cooldown timers to: Ogre/Troll triple-smash attack and Scorpian/Ogre Magi/Wraith/BugBear Rogue/Spectre/etc. being able to repeatedly "vanish" - all too often resulting in a waste of too much of Manyshots limited time - and to the Heal spell spam self-cast by certain classes of foes.

4) Really make it so that the spawn of a spawn of a spawn of a mephit can not... spawn another one! (And make them *all* mute - it's as annoying/grating/horrible as the shrieking of the Drudges).

Chai
07-25-2012, 05:43 PM
1. I would take dungeon alert out for a nice seafood dinner, and never call it again!!! Arbitrary band aid game mechanic is arbitrary. Each time new content is released theres another quest or two where if DA is set to proc on X number of mobs, at least one enounter spawns X+8 mobs. The optional in Servants of the Overlord is a perfect example. They claim alot of active mobs causes lag. Why create encounters that spawn a crapton of mobs and go straight to yellow/red DA then?

2. Ranged DPS closer to melee DPS. Id also remove all this "standing still = moar DPS" stuff. We play a game that is advertised to the masses as the best motion based combat MMO. Now we have to stand perfectly still to take advantage of a good portion of available archery DPS?

3. Better content balance. More quests where its advantageous to be a melee. None of this "casters tear up 95% of all quests while melee run behind them" stuff. Balance in a video game isnt always this class compared to that class. Content has alot to do with it, and in a balanced game the caster can do the heavy lifting for one encounter while melee comes on strong in the next encounter and contributes more.

4. Cosmetics. In NWN we wrote a script that allowed you to right click on armor and you could change each aspect between 90 different models (for each type), with over 200 different colors and 3 different layers. You could have silver chest with black trim with white chainmail underneath, and then have the shield side shoulder be a different model than the sword side shoulder so one pauldron was huge while the other was small. The sword side could have spikes jutting out of the thigh, shin, and torso, while the shield side was more plain and polished. Each aspect was controlled by the user and not some computer generated "has to be this way" set in stone armor models. End result: No two characters looked remotely close to the same.