PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for new store items

phillymiket
07-13-2012, 10:57 AM
I know there are DDO store haters out there.
But it’s not just subs but the store that powers the game.
I would like Turbine to be successful so they have the resources to be better/stronger/faster.

Here are some suggestions that could make Turbine money and not break the game or annoy people.

Cosmetics:
These seem so popular why not have more?
New hair, facial hair.
Store bought features (nose/mouth etc.).
Skin-able helmets. (These would be very popular)
Tattoos (like a dragon mark but cosmetic)

Crafting:
Crafting blank weapons/items so you don’t have to farm for BTA stuff.
Above ^ could be as simple as making the weapons/items already in the store able to be disjunctioned for crafting.

Spell/class/character effects:
Skin-able auras/spell effects (make your healing aura red, your magic missile green)
Store bought bard songs.
Store bought emotes/dances.

Public area shenanigans:
Fun stuff like a party djinn that you can only use in taverns. Like the birthday djinn but has a big disco ball and when you click on him confetti and streamers fly out of your butt or something.

Hirelings:
Augment summons wand: like Epic Roderick’s wand effect but limited uses.
Unique hirelings: like the panther trinket but single-use gold seal hire. (Example: displacer beast or a vampire)

I’m not a computer guy so I don’t know what can/can’t be easily done so this is just spit-balling obviously.

And I know there will be the inevitable comment “I don’t want Devs working on fluff instead of fixing bugs/making new content”.
That does not need to be the case; if these items make money than you can schedule/hire more Devs to do the work.
(i.e. The company does not have a finite amount of developer time; they can create more.)

Anyone have any other ideas?

ferrite
07-13-2012, 11:24 AM
All very interesting ideas.

I'm surprised DDO doesn't have more 'vanity' items to appeal to player vanity, which is the point of the typical MMO. Most other games have gobs of it, but in DDO there's a few page of hats, detestably ugly armor and mediocre 'skins' that only when compared to the aforementioned alternative look halfway decent.

Any one of these would be a good money maker for the DDO store. Nice! Maybe Turbine should hire you to come up with ideas for them, since they clearly have none.

~Nick_C76
07-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Dances. They should market those, and they'd make a fortune.

TrinityTurtle
07-24-2012, 11:25 AM
I would pay for some unimportant items from pen and paper, but would matter here...scroll cases and wand cases. Seriously, my divines and arcanes have so much emeregency supplies (I know I CAN live without them, I prefer not to) that I would love a bag/case/someother storage solution that reduces the strain on my inventory.

I did hear once from a vet (who I have no idea if he knows what he's talking about or just shooting off his mouth) that the idea was explored early on, but some sort of technical issue preventing their use while in the case was unsolvable. Probably the same one that makes Crag in gianthold able to look into my red bag that I'm holding open for him to see his relics. :)

countfitz
07-24-2012, 12:25 PM
Onyx Panther skins. Unicorns, for instance.