PDA

View Full Version : We need some improvements to the iventory management system.

Goregnash
07-13-2012, 08:34 AM
I realize that it is possible to lock your equipment to prevent its sale, trade or destruction; I also realize that we have weapon sets that can be switched between easily, which is great! Love it! But there is more that can be done to improve, so please read on.

Part 1: Assignable Inventory Slots

When I go scuba diving, I carry a plethora of tools with me so that I’m prepared for whatever situations I’m presented with in order to maintain a safe dive. A dive knife is one of those items I carry with me, it rides in a sheath attached to my BC (Dive Vest) and that’s where that specific knife belongs. When I use the knife it comes out of that sheath and when I’m done it goes back into that specific sheath. It is not realistic to prepare for adventuring which requires specific gear and not have a designated space for it in your inventory.

If I am holding 2 swords and my bags fill up, I cant swap to my bow because I don’t have a spot to put my 2 swords back into my potato sack, so I’m screwed... if I want my bow in the midst of battle, I have to stop during the fight, empty an inventory slot and then swap the items out.

Please allow us to assign specific inventory slots to specific items so when those slots are empty (due to holding the item) randomly looted items don’t take up the slots for our equipped items. This will also help us find equipment in our bags, because right now the unequipped weapons goes back into the first open spot of our inventory and we have to search bags to find it, if we had assigned slots, we would know exactly where all our equipment is at all times because we assigned to the third bag, lowest right hand slot. :)

Part 2: Armor Sets

Similar to weapon sets, armor sets should have an available slot for each equipped piece of armor or items you can equip. Gloves, Wrists, Boots, Trinket etc.. These armor sets could be swapped out with a single icon to activate the swap. These would be used in the same way as weapon sets except that any timers\restrictions currently associated with the time it takes to change out the armor would still apply.

Too often do I find myself standing in AC based gear staring at a group of 5 beholders. So I get into my potato sacks, search for optic nerves and my SR armor and put it all on before I run into fight them. It seems like a simple task but armor is very situational in DDO, so armor sets would be helpful!

Part 3: Displayed Non-Equipped Weapons

Yes, I’m talking about having my bow equipped, in hand and my 2 short swords hanging at my belt as I run through town or in the dungeon etc. This would primarily be a cosmetic change but we as players are very proud of our accomplishments and the cool factor of our characters would be enhanced if we can carry our Tyrant GS Greatsword on our backs while holding our bow, or our dual wielded kopeshes on our side while we tooling around town. It’s understood that everyone has numerous weapons that they change out regularly, but most people have a primary melee and primary ranged weapon as their "go-to" set. Weapon sets would be unaffected, these would basically just be appearance slots for the coolness factor I mentioned earlier.

fco-karatekid
07-13-2012, 08:45 AM
#1 signed, and I have been praying for this since I started playing (u8 - u9 timeframe). It's a complete mess as is. I HATE the other kludgy interface that's based upon item type, so THAT is not an option. If stuff goes back where I put it, then I don't need that kludge.

#2 signed; but I know this conversation comes up now and again with posters saying it's too OP and unrealistic... prolly won't happen. Not saying I disagree with the suggestion - just that it will prolly be argued down.

#3 - don't care one way or another.

Tshober
07-13-2012, 10:46 AM
The real inventory problems for me are not with swapping stuff in and out but with simply holding all the stuff you need. More things should stack. Stacks should be bigger. More things should go in bags. Fix those things and there would be more room for loot and swapping to your bow would be less likely to cause problems.

The other big inventory problem is finding things when you need them. That is a much harder problem to attack.

I am good with your option number 1 as long as it is optional and defaults to the present behavior.

The other two I am less enthusiastic about. How often do you need to swap more than 1 or 2 items for situational fights? Each item you need to swap can be swapped very quickly at the cost of 2 bar slots. You would have to give up 2 bar slots anyway for armor sets.

FrostBeard
07-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Would love to see more bag space, and better stacking.
Perhaps some larger stacks could be introduced??

Unfortunately Bags / Inventory Management are a consistent way for turbine to make money via ddo store.

Beginning to see why cash shop mmo game models aren't so great after all.

Its free to play but if want to be efficient and productive then you need to blow some money on bank space, bags, share bank etc.

djl
07-13-2012, 11:05 AM
The real inventory problems for me are not with swapping stuff in and out but with simply holding all the stuff you need. More things should stack. Stacks should be bigger. More things should go in bags. Fix those things and there would be more room for loot and swapping to your bow would be less likely to cause problems.

The other big inventory problem is finding things when you need them. That is a much harder problem to attack.

I am good with your option number 1 as long as it is optional and defaults to the present behavior.

The other two I am less enthusiastic about. How often do you need to swap more than 1 or 2 items for situational fights? Each item you need to swap can be swapped very quickly at the cost of 2 bar slots. You would have to give up 2 bar slots anyway for armor sets.

This. Turbine could make a lot of money if they sold specialized bags.

A potion bag would be nice, for one-- provided it still allowed people to hotbar the potions and use them from the bag. People carry haste potions, heal potions, cure disease, neutralize poison, rage, mnemonic potions, silver flame potions, various resistance potions, etc. All that eats up a lot of space.

Casters have it especially bag since they need to carry around almost half a page full of various **** to cast their spells. A regents bag would be nice.

Thieves Tools should stack in 200, at least. 50 is not nearly enough.

As far as finding ****, there is a search function for that. If you think you'll need something right away, hotbar it. For locating **** it bags, it WOULD be nice if they would allow us to re-arrange items without having to dump everything, though.

danotmano1998
07-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Great ideas.

But with the already noticeably large lag spikes when swapping gear, I'm very afraid for how the implementation would work.

Not going to be too negative, but .. ehm... look around... *points to the bajillions of bugs crawling everywhere*
You sure you want them to breed?

samthedagger
07-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Really like #1 and #2. Great suggestions!

And while we're at at it can we please, Please, PLEASE get sorting for our ingredient bags? Please???

Mastikator
07-13-2012, 04:07 PM
A new feature because you don't want to take the time of organizing your own inventory or even use the inventory search feature?

/not signed
Just search for it if you're lazy. Or put it in the toolbars.

gnurf
07-13-2012, 04:52 PM
You know what would be great before any of that? Larger icons :)

I have trouble seeing anything even on a 27" 1080p screen because of the comfortable distance I'm vegging out at on my couch.

fco-karatekid
07-13-2012, 08:52 PM
A new feature because you don't want to take the time of organizing your own inventory or even use the inventory search feature?

/not signed
Just search for it if you're lazy. Or put it in the toolbars.

Not so much lazy as gear you swap out has a tendency to go back someplace else in the 5 tabs... if it'd ALWAYS go back where I put it, I wouldn't care.

Galeria
07-13-2012, 09:04 PM
/signed to this and the two thousand or so threads before this that have asked for the same or similar things.

Searchable character bank
Sorting banks and bag lists by minimum level
Searchable/sortable TR cache
Bags for potions/scrollcases
Presorted ingredient bags like collectible bags
Armor sets

Requested over and over and still needed.

Not needed? Dayglo crayon colors that block me from telling when I can't equip an item but do let me visually separate my "named items" from my "raid loot."

Just saying. Resources are invested into things that make no sense while practical, functional changes are not taken into account.