PDA

View Full Version : Fighter shadowmark elvan tank

Fungi
07-10-2012, 01:36 AM
Now that displacement is self only I am tempted to try a shadowmarked elvan fighter. You can pretty easily make up for the lack of starting con with extra toughness feats I am just not sure if I want to go with a sword and board style build or take advantage of the high starting dex for a twf build. (also of note the shadow mark is still castable on others) Tempted to mix in 1 wizard 1 barbarian for extended dragon marks and the speed boost but I don't know if its worth giving up fighter cap stone for.

I figure I can also use shadow walk when i need to just intim and shieldblock so the third feat isn't worthless.

Second question now that we have a bunch of crazy random shields (holy tower shields) is it worth picking up one with good offensive stats?

CodyGenX
07-10-2012, 02:08 AM
It's definitely doable, but why not just make some Smoke TeirII for the displacement clickys and call it a day?

FuzzyDuck81
07-10-2012, 02:19 AM
For a heavy armour fighter-type one a splash of arty for extend & UMD would likely be a good idea, and dont worry about the con loss - its only 2con penalty, thats at most about 60ish hp (when the % boost from stalwart, only getting 2nd tier racial & no racial con enhancements is taken into account) vs. a human, naturally a little larger difference vs. a dwarf or warforged, and being able to reliably self displace for more than 30ish secs at a time will add sufficient damage mitigation against most enemies that it shouldnt really matter.

I'd say go sword & board, maybe bastard sword & 2hf feats for glancing blows to boost dps, and imp shield bash for the extra shield bashing attacks as well as shield mastery for doublestrike & PRR.. shield effects can be either defensive or offensive, but seeker+10 is never a bad thing to have :) The epic chimeras helm will be a good thing to farm, since it will grant extra uses of the tier2 (displacement) mark & some handy extra HP to make up some of the difference, as well as having the natural armour AC bonus so you wont have to worry about getting a barkskin.

wax_on_wax_off
07-10-2012, 03:46 AM
If the displacement dragonmark is still castable on others then the true utility in the build will be casting displacement on other tanks.

If you want displacement for non-intensive-roles then scrolls are quite good, if you want even longer hastes then play an artificer of one flavour or another, scrolls can still be bought and used as far as I'm aware. I played a melee artificer that used displacement scrolls extensively and effectively (build in my sig).

"Elf" and "tank" aren't 2 words I'd put together, even with displacement.

Stillwaters
07-10-2012, 03:49 AM
1/2 ranks in umd is still extremely high % of scrolling a displace spell, 30 secs is a LOT in a fight personally i dont mind only getting 1/4 the displacetime per cast on my tank.

Also Displace has no somatic component meaning you can scroll it with tower shield and full plate on with no spellfail.

Wasting feats on it seems a little extreme imho.

unbongwah
07-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Oh, you mean like this (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=364691)? :D

The two biggest drawbacks to an elven tank are -2 CON and lack of healing amp. Even on a 28-pt F2P build, a dwarf tank will be a lot sturdier and get free dwarven axe prof. for S&B; while a human will be a bit sturdier, have up to 30% heal amp, and higher Intim w/Sentinel DMs.

Apart from flavor, there's no good reason to make an elven tank. Displacement is a nice perk - and who doesn't want a cool glowing facial tattoo? - but it doesn't really make up for elves' shortcomings. Now, if you wanna do it anyway just to see how far you can take the idea, feel free. Worst-case scenario, you have a semi-gimpy build which you can TR w/ftr PL into a real tank. ;)

OTOH, a DMed elven Kensai is kinda nice if you're fond of our pointy-eared brethren.