PDA

View Full Version : Monk Monk 20 or monk 18 / fighter 2?

YoureDown
06-22-2012, 08:22 AM
I am missing 1 feat at least.

Pros:
+feats

cons:
-unarmed damage
-perfect self
-perfect feather fall
-movement speed
-capstone

(I need 2 feats, have 1 slot: greater dragonmark of passage, improved crit bludgeoning)

My questions are:
1. should I multiclass?
2. if not, I'm going for improved crit. should I take a different one?

whomhead
06-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Personally, I would not take any of the Dragonmarks of Passage and just stay pure. But I assume that you have some adamant (flavor?) reason for taking them, and that's fine. I would be very reluctant to drop IC:B, so if you must have the dragonmarks then 2 fighter is probably your best choice.

The only reason I would do an 18/2 splash is if I decided that I really needed overwhelming critical. I can juuuuuust barely meet all of the feat requirements for it and Ninja Spy on a non-human (i.e. no bonus feat) 18 monk 2 fighter while still using both the level 21 and 24 feats for epic feats.

If you stay pure monk and go human then you can fit it all in. But even doing that means you can't take either the monk past life OR improved sunder without taking one of them as an epic feat, which seems like a waste. And forget about anything "extra" like combat expertise.

AylinIsAwesome
06-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Pure Monk is better than a multiclassed Monk.

Improved Crit is very important. Never go without it.

Do you have the other feats you need? Stunning Blow, Improved Sunder, TWF/ITWF/GTWF, ect?

Arkat
06-22-2012, 04:06 PM
I'm a HUGE believer in keeping Monks pure. All the stuff you get at 20th level is rather amazing. The Capstone and the 10/Epic DR are the best two things.

slimkj
06-22-2012, 06:44 PM
cons:
-movement speed
Pretty sure this is incorrect and final monk run speed boost comes at L18.

I have both, a pure and a mutt with 18 Monk levels. Both are viable.

The loss of DR10/Epic is noticeable in some areas but to be honest it depends what you're running. If the incoming DPS is at Epic levels, a reduction of 10 makes little difference when you're getting hit for 80 or so.

The capstone is nice but you don't need it to be perfectly capable.

The fist dice increase is minimal extra dmg and can be dropped without much difference. Fighter Haste Boost I is an amazing dps boost, though you can get something similar through EDs I think as from Monday.