PDA

View Full Version : Please reconsider animal form mechanics

Ertay
06-21-2012, 02:58 AM
As it is now, druids have to spec for either melee or caster at creation, there is no point in having the different forms available when you don't have the feat base/inherent synergies to support changing playstyles on the run.

Also, the sp cost for changing forms punishes "stance dancing" which really should be one of the strengths of a well played druid. I would love to run to a mob of enemies, shift to snow wolf while running, snowslide and freeze them, then shift to a fire elemental while turning around and burn them with a firewall. This is still possible but feels unwieldly if you have to pay an sp cost for enabling the tactic that does not do anything itself. I think with shapeshifting as the defining mechanic for druids, players should really want and enjoy to use it freely, while currently it might as well be a static buff without animation at all.

Even if you do use winter wolf as a caster occasionally, there really is nothing to do there on a caster druid besides the howl and snowslide that actually comes form the form, because you won't hit the broad side of a barn without str and combat feats.

Therefore, I vote to support flame blades for shapeshifted druids as well. There really is no harm in it. People will probably play more caster focused druids, and those can melee with flame blades to a degree already, they just have to do it without style, which is a pity. The blades themselves are nice while levelling, but will never outclass actual gear in usefulness, and that is ok as it is. I'd just like to use the quasi-tactical attacks from the forms occasionally on a caster druid, but having no str means I won't hit with them :/

decease
06-21-2012, 03:06 AM
As it is now, druids have to spec for either melee or caster at creation, there is no point in having the different forms available when you don't have the feat base/inherent synergies to support changing playstyles on the run.

Also, the sp cost for changing forms punishes "stance dancing" which really should be one of the strengths of a well played druid. I would love to run to a mob of enemies, shift to snow wolf while running, snowslide and freeze them, then shift to a fire elemental while turning around and burn them with a firewall. This is still possible but feels unwieldly if you have to pay an sp cost for enabling the tactic that does not do anything itself. I think with shapeshifting as the defining mechanic for druids, players should really want and enjoy to use it freely, while currently it might as well be a static buff without animation at all.

Even if you do use winter wolf as a caster occasionally, there really is nothing to do there on a caster druid besides the howl and snowslide that actually comes form the form, because you won't hit the broad side of a barn without str and combat feats.

Therefore, I vote to support flame blades for shapeshifted druids as well. There really is no harm in it. People will probably play more caster focused druids, and those can melee with flame blades to a degree already, they just have to do it without style, which is a pity. The blades themselves are nice while levelling, but will never outclass actual gear in usefulness, and that is ok as it is. I'd just like to use the quasi-tactical attacks from the forms occasionally on a caster druid, but having no str means I won't hit with them :/

no.. as of now.. turbine want all druid to be wisdom base. as all form ability are wis base dc

p.s. as for now you deal more damage without form.. there are no heavy armor for druid and your have cha penalty. would be hard for you to grab agro..(your damage low on bear form).. and your ac likely won't be enough for top content.

Osma77
06-21-2012, 03:08 AM
Ok, other then when i played yesterday, i havent played in 2 weeks.... but when did stance changes start costing mana? Did i just never notice? I was under the distinct impression you could change forms anytime you wanted to.

Ertay
06-21-2012, 03:51 AM
I was also surprised to see this and did not notice it earlier. Maybe they snuck it in during the last updates, I know for sure the basic bear and wolf cost 5 sp when you shift in form, nothing to shift out. I suspect the advanced forms might scale up, but I do not know that for sure.
If you were to shift through forms just to use one ability on the fly, this might add up quickly, even more so if you lose your elemental specific buffs while doing it. I know for sure you lose the buff from roar, so you'll probably lose the others as well. Devs, if you feel having elemental form's buffs while out of form is op, please change them to be surpressed if possible by any means. Having to rebuff each time you shift kills the concept as a whole because it drives up the cost even more.

decease
06-21-2012, 05:59 AM
I was also surprised to see this and did not notice it earlier. Maybe they snuck it in during the last updates, I know for sure the basic bear and wolf cost 5 sp when you shift in form, nothing to shift out. I suspect the advanced forms might scale up, but I do not know that for sure.
If you were to shift through forms just to use one ability on the fly, this might add up quickly, even more so if you lose your elemental specific buffs while doing it. I know for sure you lose the buff from roar, so you'll probably lose the others as well. Devs, if you feel having elemental form's buffs while out of form is op, please change them to be surpressed if possible by any means. Having to rebuff each time you shift kills the concept as a whole because it drives up the cost even more.

what they did that? god... oh well.. those form are useless anyways..