PDA

View Full Version : gather entire party game mechanics

morticianjohn
06-19-2012, 10:58 PM
I'm talking about diplomatic impunity style mechanics where the whole party must gather in a location to continue the quest. Please stop doing this. I think a mechanic like this would work well in VoN 5 or Titan before the final boss fight but in a 6 player quest the only thing it serves to do is encourage me to solo. I rarely do diplomatic impunity in a group setting because I've had so many restarts on this quest. I love to group and will go out of my way to make a group and so mechanics like this cause me much grief.

Along the same vein I really don't like the mechanic on servants of the overlord where if one party member happened to miss the first quest he can't even join us for the 2nd quest with red letters. Lets say I'm doing red fens with some friends and one of them leaves to take a child to school. If they happen to miss one of the quests they can't go into the deep with us.

I really don't see a reason for these types of mechanics used in this way. IMO The only thing it does is hinder groups and encourage solo play. Why is the mechanic there and can we please stop implementing these types of quest mechanics?

Gkar
06-19-2012, 11:01 PM
The funny thing is that one of the first quests in the game, Waterworks, had this mechanic until 2009 when they removed that mechanic sighting the many problems with it including deliberate griefing.

Of course that's when they also introduced a whole round of new quests with that mechanic.

Apparently the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at Turbine.

Silverwren
06-20-2012, 07:48 AM
It's true that during Diplomatic Impunity if one member of the group is AFK or disconnected, the quest can't continue past the point where everyone is required to gather. I've had to abandon the quest sometimes, but it's rare. How would you propose to fix this? In this case after the party is gathered mobs appear all over. If one member is AFK they could die if they're in the wrong place and not able to defend themselves.

I don't have any problem with chain type quest lines though. It's an attempt to tell a story in a linear fashion, like Sharn Syndicate.

Xynot2
06-20-2012, 11:19 AM
So add a mechanic that if they are afk or if they disco, you can boot em. problem solved.

morticianjohn
06-20-2012, 11:28 AM
I don't have any problem with chain type quest lines though. It's an attempt to tell a story in a linear fashion, like Sharn Syndicate.

Sharn syndicate works well. I don't have a problem with shark syndicate.

And xynot that is a different suggestion for a different thread. I think my solution is simple and gets to the point more than other solutions. As Gkar has said it's been fixed for quests in the past so I wonder why they continue to introduce such an awful mechanic.

Not to mention that sometimes party members are not AFK. They could be legitamitly lost a fresh addition to the group and just made it into the quest or actively griefing the group.

Kinerd
06-21-2012, 05:13 PM
It's true that during Diplomatic Impunity if one member of the group is AFK or disconnected, the quest can't continue past the point where everyone is required to gather. I've had to abandon the quest sometimes, but it's rare. How would you propose to fix this?Remove it entirely.
In this case after the party is gathered mobs appear all over. If one member is AFK they could die if they're in the wrong place and not able to defend themselves.Better one party member die than every party member restart quest.

EpiKagEMO
06-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Step on a dirt spot and spawn a couple of mobs. Then have the mobs kill the AFKer and then once you bypass the "group" areas, then leave his stone so far away from the shrine, so that he can't res.

DrNuegebauer
06-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Step on a dirt spot and spawn a couple of mobs. Then have the mobs kill the AFKer and then once you bypass the "group" areas, then leave his stone so far away from the shrine, so that he can't res.

It's quicker to restart the quest.

Sgt_Hart
06-21-2012, 09:51 PM
You must gather your party before venturing forth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXOpjgYMISw)....

With all speed comrade!

Gkar
06-21-2012, 09:57 PM
So add a mechanic that if they are afk or if they disco, you can boot em. problem solved.

No. We started with that at launch. It's BAD. There is no reason to add a boot mechanic back to the game.

redspecter23
06-21-2012, 09:59 PM
I was under the impression you could boot someone if they disconnect. I do agree that the gather mechanic shouldn't be used in places like Diplomatic Impunity, but should be used in Von 5 and Titan preraid where there is a hard lockout. Let's get these swapped around. Make it happen.

valarx
06-22-2012, 11:20 AM
Here's a way to fix it:

1. When you reach one of these areas, everyone in the party gets a popup saying 'You will be teleported to the next stage of the quest in 15 seconds' with a countdown and an option to immediately teleport or cancel.

This way active players who are doing something can cancel the dialog and finish what they are doing, then join the group. Inactive players will simply be moved to the appropriate location after 15 seconds, saving the need to boot them.