PDA

View Full Version : Melee Druid - Elemental Forms?

Arkat
06-19-2012, 01:55 PM
When the Druid comes Live, I want to take advantage of the Shillelaugh spell and the vast number of wooden quarterstaves my Thief Acrobat has. One of those is Epic Souleater as well as the fully upgraded Force Burst version and Puncturing versions of Rahl's Might. There are many others as well.

I'm considering TRing him from a Halfling to a H-Elf (Love the Rogue Dilly benefits) but I could be open to H-Orc. I'm also wondering whether the Elemental Forms are the way to go? I'm thinking right now that I can switch between whichever form is more advantageous at the particular time (hopefully they'll add Air and Earth Forms later) but it could be one is better than the other as far as a "Default" form is concerned. If so, which one and why?

If the Elemental Forms are REALLY sub-optimal considering the weapons I wish to use, which Animal Form would be best with Quarterstaves and why?

Thanks, in advance, for your consideration.

LupusVai
06-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Ok to start with. While in bear or wolf form, your quarter staffs will not count as two handed weapons although they will still take up both hands. THF feats also do not work while in wolf or bear form. The only effects that will carry over will be the weapons effects. A single handed weapon and shield actually works best for bear or wolf form.

Half orc is obviously nice with QS due to the extra weapon damage and strength. However at later levels i think you'll find that QS just doesn't cut it and you'll probably want to fall back on casting much more. Half elf is more adaptable if you have a change of play style to full on caster.

Personally i found both the water and fire ele forms to be very lacking. The fire ele is pretty much only good for the fire aura spell, which i guess you'll get some mileage out of as it would work well at lower levels while you're smacking mobs with your QS. However, using either ele form really gimps all your other elemental spells. (-3 caster levels to every other element for a paltry +1 to the chosen element of your form) I suppose at least in the ele forms you can take better advantage of using QS, but I feel you'll probably be wanting to be much more caster based by those levels.

My gut feeling is that a QS build will be pretty disappointing at high level. Perhaps as a thought if you do have lots of nice QS maybe a 13/6/1 (rogue/fighter/druid see the bigf'nstick builds for ideas). I know that's not much druid but for 1 level of druid you get rams might and shilalloollaggoollallallleellaa (or however its spelled) in the new mod i beleive that they will both have a 5 min duration per cast.

Probably not much you wanted to hear there but, that's my 2c from beta play testing a variety of different builds.

Arkat
06-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Thanks LupusVai for your thoughts. I appreciate them and will take them under advisement.

Anyone else have any other thoughts or ideas?

Reesi
06-19-2012, 04:09 PM
This thread probably answers many of your questions:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=378092

Arkat
06-19-2012, 04:15 PM
This thread probably answers many of your questions:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=378092

Thanks Reesi, I saw that but that thread didn't discuss Elemental Forms very much which is why I made this thread.

DnD3
06-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Well you're welcome to bring up Elemental forms but I don't beta test the druid at all, I never liked being an unpaid tester for a product that I paid for so I don't playbetas on any game much, so I'm clueless on what the forms do. From the little I've seen elemental forms are not all that good, unless we get some great amazing uber staffs at endgame they will be lackuster and using masters touch for another THF weapon will be better. I have a halforc acrobat using Epic soul eater and he does pitiful damage compared to my TWF Rogue, staff damage will be even more pitiful for Druids.

Arkat
06-19-2012, 06:00 PM
unless we get some great amazing uber staffs at endgame they will be lackuster and using masters touch for another THF weapon will be better.

Contrary to what some have written on these forums, Druids do NOT get Master's Touch.

I have a halforc acrobat using Epic soul eater and he does pitiful damage compared to my TWF Rogue, staff damage will be even more pitiful for Druids.

I did mention the Shillelaugh spell. It seems quite powerful for wielders of weapons (read: quarterstaves) made of wood.

DnD3
06-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Yeah have someone cast it on your druid, I do that with my Horc FvS, never had a group where I couldn't get soemoen to cast it. Just carry a few scroll and kindly ask the arty, sorc, rogue etc to cast in you.

And in all games I played Masters Touch was never a Divine spell, so I don't see why people think druids will get MT.

On that shillelaugh spell: It will help a weak weapon type be more competitive no doubt, some of the Staffs are weird, like having 10%base crit or a 3x multiplier, now that we have a P2P class that has staff as a main weapon we might end up getting some really good staffs. Also you won't have to ask people to cast mt on you... some people have trouble casting it because they don't know how.. after a few times it stops being funny.

One thing however: On the shillellalalellalleieilalelalelagu description It says weapons can only have one type of enchantment, I'm reading this as in: Will not stack with Deadly Weapons when deadly weapons gets fixed to add +[W], so you might wish to confirm if it will or will not before you make the decicion.

Personally I'd go with the giant Two Handed Scimitars, Falchions, would go for ESoS but I think ESoS looks a lot better on Barbs and FvS.

jortann
06-19-2012, 06:34 PM
So, elemental form does not count as an animal form?

Does this mean while I am in elemental form I could take all the advantages of TWF and still be in say fire elemental form?

I am imagining a fire elemental dual wielding khopeshes with Body of the Sun going. Is this possible?

RavenStormclaw
06-19-2012, 06:51 PM
So, elemental form does not count as an animal form?

Does this mean while I am in elemental form I could take all the advantages of TWF and still be in say fire elemental form?

I am imagining a fire elemental dual wielding khopeshes with Body of the Sun going. Is this possible?

Absolutely.... it's abuot the only benefit of being in elementlal form.

fatherpirate
06-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Contrary to what some have written on these forums, Druids do NOT get Master's Touch.

I did mention the Shillelaugh spell. It seems quite powerful for wielders of weapons (read: quarterstaves) made of wood.

Ya that one was my fault...guilty as charged

You will need an arty splash for masters touch...but an arty splash is not a bad thing
Repeaters, free bolts in 1000 stack, masters touch, arty wand use, TRAP skills
what is not to like with a 1 lvl arty splash ? a lot of bang for the buck.

halfelf FTR del feat does about the same thing

if you want to fight in animal form, exotic Kopesh feat would be a nice investment
if you splash arty for the repeater, or just feat it...zen archery is a nice addition

Jay203
06-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Yeah have someone cast it on your druid, I do that with my Horc FvS, never had a group where I couldn't get soemoen to cast it. Just carry a few scroll and kindly ask the arty, sorc, rogue etc to cast in you.

shillelagh is self target only

Arkat
06-19-2012, 08:49 PM
shillelagh is self target only

I think DnD3 was referring to the Master's Touch spell.

Jay203
06-19-2012, 09:25 PM
I think DnD3 was referring to the Master's Touch spell.

ah.. that makes more sense :)

Talias006
06-19-2012, 09:46 PM
if you want to fight in animal form, exotic Kopesh feat would be a nice investment

Just have to stop part of this thought right here.

Animal forms do not use any part of the weapon dynamics other than weapon effects.
They do not use die damage, threat range, or critical multiplier.

Using a Khopesh in bear form will net you the same results as if you had a dagger with the same abilities.

Jaid314
06-19-2012, 10:45 PM
seems to me you'd be better off keeping mostly rogue and splashing a level of druid instead.

Dunklerlindwurm
06-21-2012, 01:52 AM
Yes both elemental forms will work quite good when fighting 2HF style.

There is no penalty doing so.

Fire Ele Form will give you. +10 Fire res(Stacks) -10 Cold Res +100%Fortification(Stacks) Immunity to Stun Immunity to things like Burning Blood.
And of course all Fire Ele form Spells.

Water Ele Form will give you. +10 Cold res(Stacks) -10 Lightning Res +20 Swim +100%Fortification(Stacks) Immunity to Stun Immunity to things like Burning Blood.
And of course all Water Ele form Spells.

TreknaQudane
06-21-2012, 02:24 AM
Going Elemental should get you some immunities since you're an Elemental as well as let you use TWF or THF if you have it... that said you still might be better off going Winter wolf form due to the speed of attacks.

Shillelagh is a neat spell, it however is only +1[W] to Wooden Staves... and gets overwritten by other weapon buff spells. If you get into a raid situation, you'd be able to just have an Artificer cast Deadly Weapons on you if you a metal Staff... and watch out.. Elemental Weapons will overwrite Shillelagh.. it was annoying finding that out. I really wish they had just made Shillelagh a 'Personal' weapon buff like Insightful Strikes/Damage.

I think Breeze (Upgraded) would be a nice weapon for a staff druid that uses Animal forms.... but so would a Rad2 Scimitar.