PDA

View Full Version : workaround idea for a moveing held/paralyzed enemies

bloodnose13
06-13-2012, 11:02 AM
idea is very simple, all effects that are supposed to stop enemy in place should apply -99% movement speed. could be done very simple by adding that effect to helpless status. IF it would work, any thoughts?

redspecter23
06-13-2012, 11:05 AM
A good idea in theory. If they can't make the mobs stop, then applying a 99.99999999999999999% movement penalty in addition to the hold/stun should nail down those pesky archers and casters that seem to want to move about for exactly 6 seconds every time my monk stuns them.

Sarisa
06-13-2012, 11:12 AM
No. They need to just break/return out of the movement procedures when a mob is tagged 'immobile', just like with what happens when players are affected.

I'm suspecting it was a code-simplification to "fix lag", but it ends up causing a bit more with all the extra player movement chasing them down.

bloodnose13
06-13-2012, 02:28 PM
No. They need to just break/return out of the movement procedures when a mob is tagged 'immobile', just like with what happens when players are affected.

I'm suspecting it was a code-simplification to "fix lag", but it ends up causing a bit more with all the extra player movement chasing them down.

if it was so simple problem it would be done already, and as it usualy is "nothing is ever simple" i personaly blame a delay in comunication between client and server, client side sees diffrent stuff while server still does diffrent stuff. thats how i see it, does not matter if its right, wrong or any other option. fact is that slowed enemies still can move but slower, if you slow down enemy to the level where his movement will be almost unnoticeable, it will be almost same thing, or at least less annoying than paralyzed whatever running around at full speed while you try to chase it down and land a hit before it gets free. im all for macguyver kind of fixing with ducttape if it gets job done.

redspecter23
06-13-2012, 02:32 PM

Agreed. That would be awesome if stunned/held mobs stopped like they should, but that's a difficult thing to do so proposing alternate workaround that might be easier to code could be beneficial. I'd rather have a mob move at a snails pace while stunned instead the "strike a pose" ice capades we have now.

Jay203
06-13-2012, 02:44 PM
they just need to add in a script into the crowd control effects that will clear the action queue of the affected monster and prevent any further action queue until the effect is gone

Tshober
06-13-2012, 04:37 PM
I think we should leave the coding decisions to the devs. The thing that should happen is they should stop moving. Let the devs decide how to best accomplish that within the constraints of the existing code. They get paid to do that stuff and I'm really, really confident that they can do it better than we can.

Jay203
06-13-2012, 05:46 PM
I think we should leave the coding decisions to the devs. The thing that should happen is they should stop moving. Let the devs decide how to best accomplish that within the constraints of the existing code. They get paid to do that stuff and I'm really, really confident that they can do it better than we can.

who knows, maybe they'll find something useful in our suggestions :p

wax_on_wax_off
06-13-2012, 06:20 PM
idea is very simple, all effects that are supposed to stop enemy in place should apply -99% movement speed. could be done very simple by adding that effect to helpless status. IF it would work, any thoughts?

What is good for them is good for us, do you want -99% move speed when you're helpless from stat damage or some such thing?

Jay203
06-13-2012, 06:22 PM
What is good for them is good for us, do you want -99% move speed when you're helpless from stat damage or some such thing?

i don't see stat damage stopping the enemies from doing everything else except movement :D:D:D:D

oradafu
06-13-2012, 06:39 PM

Since I can only twirl around in a circle when I'm helpless and I can only block when I'm prone, I don't see where -99% movement will be that much of a negative on players... So am I missing something here?

redspecter23
06-13-2012, 07:00 PM

Mobs can move around freely (except for a short stun from 0 con) and still attack while at a 0 stat. If what's good for the mobs is good for us, I'll take that any day. When I'm stunned/held I can't move at all. 1% move speed is better than 0 in that case so again, I guess I'd take that one too.

bloodnose13
06-14-2012, 10:02 AM

sorry but -99% speed when you get held does not change anything for you as players cant move anyway.