PDA

View Full Version : Notated squelch list

Maxallu
06-11-2012, 09:16 PM
As of today, I have 52 people on my squelch list (not bragging or anything, i know many more have larger lists, i'm just a a point that i have a hard time keeping straight), and I can't keep up with all of the names anymore. All I do is recognize that the name is in fact on my list. Some of these people have been on my squelch list for years now. I t would be nice to leave myself little notes as to why they are on the list.

For example:

Instead of:

/squelch add stupidnoob

you add some notes that show up when you type /squelch list

/squelch add stupidnoob (sounds like he is 12 years old)

or instead of:

/squelch add uselesspiker

I put in

/squelch add uselesspiker (this guy is specced in geting killed)

the different notes will let me know if the player should be avoided at all costs, or if they are tolerable to play with, just their voice is bothersome or if they are a mouth breather or something.

Pape_27
06-11-2012, 09:26 PM
if you feel that strongly about that, add them to your friends list. There you can add a notation as to why you feel the overwhelming need to blacklist someone, or in your case, 52 someones.

_

Maxallu
06-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Then that will mess up my friends list and add even more confusion. Plus, not all of them get good comments either.

Zyerz
06-11-2012, 09:55 PM
In my 6 years of DDO, I've only squelched 3 persons, and I think that's a lot.

You've really met that many people that sour up the gameplay? Or what are your rules for squelching people?

Mine are simple. If he or she doesnt pay attention willingly, causes unecessary trouble, and blames you or the other party members for the wipe he or she caused, they make the squelch list. But I've only run into 3 people like that luckily.

Maxallu
06-11-2012, 10:02 PM

You've really met that many people that sour up the gameplay? Or what are your rules for squelching people?

Mine are simple. If he or she doesnt pay attention willingly, causes unecessary trouble, and blames you or the other party members for the wipe he or she caused, they make the squelch list. But I've only run into 3 people like that luckily.

You telling me how to operate my squelch list aside, what is the problem with allowing us to place little notes next to the names on our lists?

Zyerz
06-11-2012, 10:04 PM
You telling me how to operate my squelch list aside, what is the problem with allowing us to place little notes next to the names on our lists?

No, sorry if it sounded that way... I was just amazed as to how many people you have squelched...
And yeah, being able to put notes would be a good idea, for future reference.

JasonJi72
06-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Some of these people have been on my squelch list for years now.

Do you think it is possible that the people on your list may be completely different players by now, or may have just had a bad run with you?

No sympathy here mate.

wax_on_wax_off
06-11-2012, 10:39 PM
I use my friends list in general for people I want to avoid, only way to remember when swapping characters that don't have the person squelched I find is to read the reason occasionally.

Unfortunately, there seems to be some issue with comments on friends list being wiped occasionally so I end up sending them a tell "Hey buddy, want to do a quest?"

>>

stoerm
06-12-2012, 01:27 AM
you've really met that many people that sour up the gameplay? Or what are your rules for squelching people?

you telling me how to operate my squelch list aside, what is the problem with allowing us to place little notes next to the names on our lists?

qed

keveniaftw
06-12-2012, 04:43 AM

Did you squelch him for that?

chance2000
06-12-2012, 05:11 AM
I have a note pad at my computer with pencil ready.
I write down the name, and have a file on my computer I call the moron list.
I cleared my squelch list a few weeks back.
I squelch for all types of reasons.
Over the years I have had to empty my list more than once.
It can get so you get a message list is full.
If I am running with a group and a woman is in it and someone is real crude to her, squelch.
Same goes for any that like to yell or get nasty. More than a few children play this game.
I live by the Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

grayham
06-12-2012, 05:53 AM
52 people? The squelch mechanism is fine as it is. If you want a more elaborate way to bestow your dubious honour on people then it's for you to create this. Since you seem to be suggesting that this is something that Dev's should consider, then I disagree in the strongest possible terms.

Forzah
06-12-2012, 06:37 AM
If you squelch so many people, maybe the problem is you? Can't make a new function for the 1 out of 1000 people that are too sensitive.

I've squelched in total two persons; one that kept calling me names for 10 minutes, then I had enough. Another time I squelched a famous STRONG person on Thelanis because he was annoying me, but removed it a while later and now we get along pretty well :p. For the rest there is hardly any reason to squelch.

Matuse
06-12-2012, 07:21 AM

I think 52 is incredibly low.

Mine is much higher, but I've never counted it.

DDO is my enjoyment time. Anyone who impinges on my enjoyment either through grotesque stupidity, laziness, incompetence, or generally being a posterior orifice gets thrown onto the list, and they do not ever come back out. My list includes people who pike quests without any advance warning, people shouting endless streams of racist, sexist, or otherwise generally offensive comments into their microphones, harbor PvPers who don't have the common decency to take their epeen wars to tells, and a whole host of other transgressions that I don't want to put up with in any way.

laurawilder
06-12-2012, 07:37 AM

Given this reaction to the poster, it sounds like you should be on the squelch list. Nowhere did he mention how you SHOULD operate your list. But if you are going to come onto a public forum and post expect feedback. That is what you were seeking in the first place correct, or why post?

JOTMON
06-12-2012, 08:14 AM
I use my friends list in general for people I want to avoid, only way to remember when swapping characters that don't have the person squelched I find is to read the reason occasionally.

Unfortunately, there seems to be some issue with comments on friends list being wiped occasionally so I end up sending them a tell "Hey buddy, want to do a quest?"

>>

it is annoying, everytime you LR/TR the notes get wiped.
Character template and hotbars and channels all get reset.

brickwall
06-12-2012, 08:25 AM
Personally i would vote squelch lists to be wiped with every TR new life with second chance if someone is really that bad its real easy to right click an make them disappear again.

Silverwren
06-12-2012, 08:30 AM
I'm with the majority of the posters here. I think I may have three or four on my squelch list in the almost three years I've been playing. It takes a pretty grievous event to make it onto that list. It's like the "last straw" list to me.

I do keep a pen and paper handy though. This is my "Do not play with list", and it is MUCH longer, and easier to get on. I keep a record of WHY I put them on the list in the first place. Reasons may include "Bailed on Shroud before end of part 5" or "Terrible healer".

All that aside, I'm inclined to agree with the OP at least in part (the reasons why he has 52 players on that list are irrelevant. His reasons are his own and he has the right to add as many or as few as he wants to). We have a "friends" list that can have notes added to it, so why can't we also have an "enemies" list (for lack of a better name), that can also have notes added to it. To expand on this idea:

Anyone on those lists should get auto-added to friends and enemies lists on all my alts as well. In other words, if I add someone as a friend or an "enemy" (again, enemy is a strong word but I can't think of a better one right now) to the list on my level 15 monk, I want to know about it on my level 14 cleric too.

In the same manner that we get a little message in the general chat window that a friend has logged on, perhaps we should get a little message when an "enemy" tries to contact us or join an LFM we have posted.

There's nothing game breaking about this suggestion. To me it's just another useful tool to use while playing.

Xynot2
06-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Why not add it in as another list next to the friends list?

Seriously tho- with all of the things the devs could be working on, this hits the bottom on my priority list.

To the OP: My advice it to start keeping a pen and paper next to you, make a text file with the squelchees on it and keep notes that way. There are far more important things for Turbine to work on that will inevitably break something. Why risk breaking something on trivial issues?