PDA

View Full Version : Whats the point of goodberry?

Insideus
06-10-2012, 09:51 PM
I understand the point really, but its a ability that you can only cast in an instanced area that can only be used in a tavern. Its an ability counting on the fact you are going to die and release, or go to a tavern to rest when you take damage. I am not saying its a useless ability, because it will save you a little money in the long run. However wouldn't it make more sense to increase the level you get it and make it something like the ability eat Jerky,

"Three spells are activated when you use this power: Immediate Remove Disease, Neutralize Poison lasting 10 minutes, and "Eat Jerky" lasting 5 minutes. The latter heals 2 hit points every 6 seconds, for a total of 98 points of healing, does not stack with Regeneration and is affected by wand & scroll mastery and healing amplification enhancements. This effect, unlike the others, is non-magical and cannot be dispelled."

It could also only be useable a certain amount of times per day.

Zyerz
06-10-2012, 10:19 PM
I think you got the concept wrong.... Go to a dungeon... Summon a cowload of berries... Thats it, no need to buy food no more. Its an optional feature. Being able to use them in dungeons would be op. But it is kinda weird you have to summon them in a dungeon and not in a tavern.

Antheal
06-10-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm not aware of anyone who can use magic to self-heal, actually consuming "food" items in a tavern instead of drinking and casting cures as their SP regenerates.

Zyerz
06-10-2012, 10:25 PM
I'm not aware of anyone who uses magic to self-heal that actually consumes "food" items in a tavern instead of drinking and casting cure spells as their SP regenerates.

Fixed. Sorry, I'm a bit of a grammar nut.

*ahem* I do lol. :p

Insideus
06-10-2012, 11:54 PM
I think you got the concept wrong.... Go to a dungeon... Summon a cowload of berries... Thats it, no need to buy food no more. Its an optional feature. Being able to use them in dungeons would be op. But it is kinda weird you have to summon them in a dungeon and not in a tavern.

Why would it be OP? I'm not saying leave it at lvl 2. Make it around level 10, there's items that allow you to do it, we already have Hot and by a latter level we already have those spells. Think of the clerics DC or DH enchments, they can already do what I am talking about. I also said don't make it unlimited. My point was that the whole food/drink thing seems unpowered for a feat. Again, I am not saying it has to be that ability, but maybe something like it, a little less powerful, but maybe something that doesn't focus on our death or defeat as much.

Memnir
06-11-2012, 01:01 AM
Panic-cast it just before death so one can "gas up" faster at their bind point?

I am really kind of bummed by it's implementation as well. Particularly when a Dev, Eladrin I think it was, said they included it more because it is iconic then anything else. So, instead of being anything useful, it's their to add "flavor". Kind of like the sprig of parsley on a steak - nobody orders steak for the parsley, but kinda secretly sad if the steak comes without it.

Osma77
06-11-2012, 02:04 AM
It may be bugged. I havent used it since it was a spell (beta1) but it was supposed to be a feat that was useable in taverns. If it isnt useable in taverns it probably is working off of a previous build and needs to be checked.

49dae13
06-11-2012, 08:38 AM
Personally I think it should be usable in dungeons, not as is, but graduating with each lvl. Should make it where it can be traded to other players inside dungeon, so they can use as needed. Remember that in some dungeons there isn't any vegetation. But in the ones that do, you should have that option. This is a role playing game right, if so, then wouldn't someone in party be gathering needs as you go along through the quest. Maybe place a berry bush in dungeons that have vegetation, like a collectable or something, that you can use the good berry feat on.

voodoogroves
06-11-2012, 08:47 AM
I will point out that it is classically a non conjuration-healing effect, and should provide full benefit to WF (not tested myself)

Vesuvium
06-11-2012, 09:51 AM
But it is kinda weird you have to summon them in a dungeon and not in a tavern.
Gah, it's still doing that?

It's definitely supposed to be castable anywhere, not just in a dungeon.

Insideus
06-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Panic-cast it just before death so one can "gas up" faster at their bind point?

I am really kind of bummed by it's implementation as well. Particularly when a Dev, Eladrin I think it was, said they included it more because it is iconic then anything else. So, instead of being anything useful, it's their to add "flavor". Kind of like the sprig of parsley on a steak - nobody orders steak for the parsley, but kinda secretly sad if the steak comes without it.

You know back when I first started playing a long long time ago, people would kick you out of a group for going back to your bind point if you died. I am sure they still do, or at least some groups do for taking the exp hit. I know its still looked down on to release in alot of quests. It's probaby something that will get limited use because most people will not keep it on a hotbar, forget about it, and just buy drink and cast healing spells to restore HP.

Miow
06-11-2012, 10:07 AM
It's a berry and it's ummmmmm good = goodberry.

danotmano1998
06-11-2012, 10:34 AM

*snickers*

Bad berries! Bad!

Memnir
06-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Gah, it's still doing that? It is indeed. At least as of this morning. Just checked it after reading this.
http://i.imgur.com/yrnOt.jpg

Insideus
06-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Also wanted to bring this up,

It states Race Absolutely excluded: Warforged
well feed: 60-70hp
quenched: 480 sp
oiled: 160hp
lubricated: 1600sp

When I use one as an elf, it states that I am oiled and lubricated.

I see serveral conflects there.

fco-karatekid
06-11-2012, 04:46 PM

This does NOT give me a warm fuzzy...

Osma77
06-11-2012, 05:36 PM

Yep. Working off of origional build. I bug reported the oil problem first day.

azrael4h
06-11-2012, 10:57 PM

Depends on what class the Elf is I suppose... <.< >.> :D

Galeria
06-11-2012, 11:01 PM

Do we have to say it? They are laxatives! OK? Just make sure you are close to the Phiarlan Chapterhouse so you can ask to use their restrooms...

parvo
06-11-2012, 11:24 PM
I like the idea of heal over time. Maybe frontloaded. Tradeable but drops on leaving instance.

MrkGrismer
06-12-2012, 10:55 AM
I really wish they would just make the goodberries heal over time like the hams, but only a small amount. Tradeable also. I don't think they need to drop upon leaving.

Or instead of heal over time they could simply heal 1 hit point. but stack to 100 and be tradeable. Maybe have a small chance to remove poison and disease (like 5%).

fatherpirate
06-12-2012, 06:44 PM
ok, this would be a good way to fix this issue.

Ditch the tavern....we are talking druids anyways

Druids should be able to make them anywere....fix that bug.

Then, allow druids to use them in any PUBLIC area

druids are not known for hanging out in pubs to rest anyways

fangorn77
06-13-2012, 02:24 AM
druids are not known for hanging out in pubs to rest anyways

But they can have a cup of tea with the Queen of Summer if they take Shiradi Champion Epic Destiny, berries make tea more flavoured :D
- Gods save the Queen and her tea-break -

fangorn77
06-13-2012, 02:41 AM
Maybe they could be used in the future as base missile for the spell "Fire Seeds" they are not acorns but taking form spell's book :

Source: http://www.d20srd.org

Fire Seeds
Conjuration (Creation) [Fire]
Level: Drd 6, Fire 6, Sun 6
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Targets: Up to four touched acorns or up to eight touched holly berries
Duration: 10 min./level or until used
Saving Throw: None or Reflex half; see text
Spell Resistance: No
Depending on the version of fire seeds you choose, you turn acorns into splash weapons that you or another character can throw, or you turn holly berries into bombs that you can detonate on command.

Acorn Grenades
As many as four acorns turn into special splash weapons that can be hurled as far as 100 feet. A ranged touch attack roll is required to strike the intended target. Together, the acorns are capable of dealing 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 20d6), divided up among the acorns as you wish.

Each acorn explodes upon striking any hard surface. In addition to its regular fire damage, it deals 1 point of splash damage per die, and it ignites any combustible materials within 10 feet. A creature within this area that makes a successful Reflex saving throw takes only half damage; a creature struck directly is not allowed a saving throw.

Holly Berry Bombs
You turn as many as eight holly berries into special bombs. The holly berries are usually placed by hand, since they are too light to make effective thrown weapons (they can be tossed only 5 feet). If you are within 200 feet and speak a word of command, each berry instantly bursts into flame, causing 1d8 points of fire damage +1 point per caster level to every creature in a 5-foot radius burst and igniting any combustible materials within 5 feet. A creature in the area that makes a successful Reflex saving throw takes only half damage.

Material Component
The acorns or holly berries.

I'd like also to see more interaction between dragonmarks and spells, i.e. If you bear dragonmark of healing your goodberries produce an healing aura which heals friendly targets aroud you by 1d3 per caster level.

Or also : If you bear dragonmark of the storm your Fire Seeds inflict electrical damage also (or instead) to targets

Destroyer_Omega
06-13-2012, 02:48 AM
Why not make all tavern food usable just after shrining, including Goodberry? It would help a bit people to be self sufficient (without affecting their self-healing ability during combat), and would also give a reason for a Druid to cast Goodberry and trade those to other players during a quest.

African-Grey
06-21-2012, 06:32 AM

As of today, 6/21, you still can't cast Goodberry in public areas. :(

Jay203
06-21-2012, 12:21 PM
i've been wondering dose good berry scale to druid level or character level?? :confused::confused: