PDA

View Full Version : Demonic Drain unaffected by Sealed Soul

Ravoc-DDO
06-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Can you grant toons with Sealed Soul (ShadowDancer, HotD2) immunity to Demonic Drain?

I can understand undead form pale masters gain the immunity as they thrive on negative energies while in form. But it doesn't make much sense to make that an exclusive boon for them alone.
There is the ability Sealed Soul and all it does is explicitly grant you immunity to energy drain from any source. This should include the negative level incurred from Demonic Drain as well. If for some reason this isn't considered an energy drain, then pale masters shouldn't get the immunity either.

J1NG
06-07-2012, 04:38 PM
If I'm not mistaken, it's classed as a weapon/item proc, hence not under the same rules. For example, you can Curse a Purple Named with the Demon Consort Bracers whilst normally you can't, as it's a proc, that bypasses the normal resistances. (Only Xyzzy is immune to item proc's)

So most likely, only Palemaster's will see the benefit of ignoring it entirely.

J1NG

MrCow
06-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Incurring a Negative Level is not the same as being subject to Energy Drain.

Yes, Energy Drain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#energyDrained) is a common source of Negative Levels, but that does not mean one can obtain a Negative Level from some other way. This distinction allows a player to have an alignment-based Negative Level, a Negative Level from a curse-like effect (Bracers of Demon Consort), or many other methods.

Because of this, Warforged, Hunters of the Dead, and Shadowdancers can be subject to Negative Levels so long as the source of the Negative Level is not Energy Drain.

Ravoc-DDO
06-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Incurring a Negative Level is not the same as being subject to Energy Drain.

Yes, Energy Drain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#energyDrained) is a common source of Negative Levels, but that does not mean one can obtain a Negative Level from some other way. This distinction allows a player to have an alignment-based Negative Level, a Negative Level from a curse-like effect (Bracers of Demon Consort), or many other methods.

Because of this, Warforged, Hunters of the Dead, and Shadowdancers can be subject to Negative Levels so long as the source of the Negative Level is not Energy Drain.

By that reasoning, pale masters in form should be subject to the negative level as well then.

MrCow
06-07-2012, 08:20 PM
By that reasoning, pale masters in form should be subject to the negative level as well then.

Undead in DDO are immune to negative levels (as well as immune to energy drain).

Ravoc-DDO
06-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Well then Sealed Soul should be widened in scope and reworded into something that makes you immune to (effects causing) negative levels. Pretty sure that was the intended idea for it anyway. It would at least open up some new possibilities whereas now, existing & possibly future items featuring Demonic Drain are essentially a pale master exclusive...

MrCow
06-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Well then Sealed Soul should be widened in scope and reworded into something that makes you immune to (effects causing) negative levels.

Possibly, except Turbine is following the wording for Sealed Life from 3.5 Pen and Paper Hunter of the Dead pretty closely (Complete Warrior, pg 43 (http://www.mithrilcircle.com/Chells/RPG/DD_Books/Complete%20Warrior.pdf)). It only prevents Energy Drain, not negative levels.

Sealed Life (Su):
A 10th-level hunter of the dead cannot lose levels due to energy drain effects (although death still results in level loss, as do other level- or experience draining effects).

Rizzyn
06-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Possibly, except Turbine is following the wording for Sealed Life from 3.5 Pen and Paper Hunter of the Dead pretty closely (Complete Warrior, pg 43 (http://www.mithrilcircle.com/Chells/RPG/DD_Books/Complete%20Warrior.pdf)). It only prevents Energy Drain, not negative levels.

I have this ability. I'm afraid I stand in, er, MrCow's pasture.

I took it to prevent Energy Drain, which was a common attack from Drow and others whenever I started to grab aggro from Sneak Attacks. Indeed, it seemed every NPC Wizard I clip lately has energy drain handy. I never expected it to stop Neg Level effects from wielding or equipping the wrong items. As a Shadow, you're not really undead, just -- interdimensional.