PDA

View Full Version : Elven Racial Enhancement: Positive Energy Healing

seenorseems
06-06-2012, 01:28 AM
Hi,

I'm fairly new to the game, still on my first life playing an elven wizard. I lean more to the role-playing side of things and that's what attracted me to DDO but I've had some difficulty making an effective character that I find interesting to play.

As a wizard there seem to be only two good options for building a character: pale master or warforged. As someone who likes elves and wants to play a lore appropriate caster this makes things a little difficult.
Elves don't seem to have much going for them right now except their backstory and some arcane bonuses which from what I understand aren't very useful until late in the game. No self-respecting Aerenal elf should dabble in Mabar-fueled necromancy, let alone enrobe themselves in negative energy. There are entire branches of our society whose job it is to hunt down the undead - I might as well just lay down on the pyre right now.

Elves do however have a racial disposition to necromancy fueled by Irian and good vibes so why not make them a more viable option with a little positive energy healing. It's a little out-of-bounds from PNP, but so is pale master, and while the Undying are a special lot who wouldn't be wandering around Xen'drik there are also the Half-Living who have been mysteriously changed to something between living and undying, presumably in an Aerenal-approved manner.

wax_on_wax_off
06-06-2012, 02:35 AM
Sounds cute, I wouldn't mind this at all.

Antheal
06-06-2012, 03:10 AM
If Elven Clerics could shroud themselves with the aspect of the Venerated of the Undying Court, I'd drop my soon-to-be-Dragonmarked* Halflings in an instant.

(*Dragonmark status dependant on the new Enhancements system coming in Update whenever.)

Ungood
06-06-2012, 06:57 AM
Well, I was going to start off by explaining how this is a bad idea, and how it would make arcane elves even more powerful then they are, as the whole point of Arcane PM's an WF is that they get less healing from positive energy and are pretty much forced to be self reliant (and thus harder to save if things go bad) which is part of the trade off for being as self reliant as they are.

However, I am also seeing a series of elven melee's using this ability to sub-their self-healing and thus be far more self reliant.

Not sure if I like this or not.

On first inspection I want to say no, because of how it would unbalance the game in favor of arcane's who are already very powerful, on the other hand, it would make rangers, and anyone that opts to go AA very powerful very quickly.

It has the potential to lead to a legion of elf AA's swarming the game, and for that alone I don't really like the idea.

InsanityIsYourFriend
06-06-2012, 09:23 AM
make it very enhancement heavy, so that you would have a HUGE problem with grabbing that AND some of the more costly things like.... wizard int 3 + force manipulation 9? and a bunch of other stuff
this way it would be useful for the VERY rare... elven barbarian!

Tshober
06-06-2012, 09:58 AM
As a wizard there seem to be only two good options for building a character: pale master or warforged.

Don't let your desire to play the race and class you really want to play be limited by someone else's opinion of what is a gimp build. The point of playing an MMO is to have fun. If you play a build that is not one of the "favored" builds and you have fun playing it then, who cares what other people think?

Yes, there are people in DDO who will not group with you if you are not one of the "favored" builds, but those people were not going to be any fun to group with anyway. Don't conform to them. Be your own person, or elf as it were.

HatsuharuZ
06-06-2012, 11:43 AM
I like this idea! Although, the way you describe it makes me think this should be an option for an elven divine caster instead of an arcane.

Jay203
06-06-2012, 04:31 PM
sounds weird, don't know what to make of it :p
on one hand it helps to toss elves a bone or two
on the other hand, it feels weird to have elves getting healing amp o_O:::

seenorseems
06-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Well, I hadn't really given too much thought to how the developers would implement it. The least useful way to me personally would be to amplify healing directed at my character, and the most useful way would be as some sort of self-healing aura, but it could definitely go in a few other directions. Since the Undying rely of manifest zones of Irian which might not be readily available on Xen'drik you could limit the amount of healing in a number of ways from x uses per rest to a very low regen effect. They could also do a SLA or chance to proc that grants false life. You might even grant an increased UMD for positive energy items.

As far as balance goes it would make sense to give some sort of weakness to negative energy. Trade-offs in line with warforged or pale master would be alright, as long as the enhancement offered the same level of benefits.

Ungood, it's funny you should mention AA's, since my original build plan was to go AA with a 19wiz/1rgr split. After level 13 or so I decided that I would never get a chance to use a bow as long as I had Wall of Fire and instakills so I lesser reincarnated. The thing I miss the most about my ranger level is the ability to use divine wands.

Hatsuharu, the elves developed this form of energy manipulation from their arcane studies. Elven clerics generally call upon the Undying Court, who are the product of research into necromancy not a divinity per se.

HatsuharuZ
06-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Hatsuharu, the elves developed this form of energy manipulation from their arcane studies. Elven clerics generally call upon the Undying Court, who are the product of research into necromancy not a divinity per se.

Ahhh, so would this be part of an elves-only prestige class?

Fefnir_2011
06-08-2012, 12:05 AM
Would be kind of interesting if it was something like this:

Elven Undying Master I

You are a devoted student of the necromantic arts of the Undying Court. You gain 5 hit points as your flesh toughens, deal 25% additional damage with light energy spells, and have a 3% chance for light energy spells to generate a critical result for 1.5 times the normal damage amount. (Base spell critical chance is 0% and base critical damage multiplier is 1.5.) You can expend 2 Hit Points to produce a touch-ranged light energy effect at will, or expend hit points and spell points to create a Deathless.

Radiant Energy Conduit
Auto-granted by Elven Undying Master I

All negative energy spells or spell-like abilities cast by you deal light damage instead of negative damage.

Shroud of the Zombie (Deathless?)
You shroud yourself with radiant energy and assume many traits of a zombie. While in this form, you hunger for brains and gain +2 Strength, +2 Constitituon, -2 Intelligence, -4 Charisma and Damage Reduction 5/Slashing. Your unarmed damage is increased by two die steps, but you attack 20% slower than normal. You have +100% fortification (immunity to critical hits and sneak attacks), are healed by light energy and are unaffected by positive energy or repair effects, but you take double damage from negative effects. This ability costs 25 spell points to activate. You may cast Death Aura, Lesser Death Aura to self heal. You don't make saving throws against helpful light energy spells for half healing, and spells beneficial to Undead will no longer trigger spell resistance when cast on you by a Party member.

etc, etc...

Jay203
06-08-2012, 01:10 AM
Would be kind of interesting if it was something like this:

Elven Undying Master I

You are a devoted student of the necromantic arts of the Undying Court. You gain 5 hit points as your flesh toughens, deal 25% additional damage with light energy spells, and have a 3% chance for light energy spells to generate a critical result for 1.5 times the normal damage amount. (Base spell critical chance is 0% and base critical damage multiplier is 1.5.) You can expend 2 Hit Points to produce a touch-ranged light energy effect at will, or expend hit points and spell points to create a Deathless.

Radiant Energy Conduit
Auto-granted by Elven Undying Master I

All negative energy spells or spell-like abilities cast by you deal light damage instead of negative damage.

Shroud of the Zombie (Deathless?)
You shroud yourself with radiant energy and assume many traits of a zombie. While in this form, you hunger for brains and gain +2 Strength, +2 Constitituon, -2 Intelligence, -4 Charisma and Damage Reduction 5/Slashing. Your unarmed damage is increased by two die steps, but you attack 20% slower than normal. You have +100% fortification (immunity to critical hits and sneak attacks), are healed by light energy and are unaffected by positive energy or repair effects, but you take double damage from negative effects. This ability costs 25 spell points to activate. You may cast Death Aura, Lesser Death Aura to self heal. You don't make saving throws against helpful light energy spells for half healing, and spells beneficial to Undead will no longer trigger spell resistance when cast on you by a Party member.

etc, etc...

i'm not sure why, but i find these ideas to be weird
can't really grasp what it is that's bothering me though :confused::confused::confused:

soulaeon
06-10-2012, 06:01 AM
/not signed because it would be redundant.
If you dont like elves, dont be one. If you do like elves, then there are options available. What you are suggesting is a way to self-heal and not have to compromise, which is what WF have to do. And by the way, it's not pale master and WF as your choices, it's pale master and whatever race you decide to stick into it. For the record, archmage had far better utility at high levels because negative energy and death spells wont always work, and you cant heighten your Necrotic spells.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Dilettante_feats
There are several feats that allow you to use wands and scrolls so you can heal all you like. It's not the same as spamming Reconstruct, but as someone who always plays elves, I have never once wished I was any other race and I can survive just as well as any one else.

You are trying to solve a problem by making it more complicated. Instead, try being creative with what is already available.

seenorseems
06-11-2012, 04:54 AM
Not sure what the aggro is about, but I'm fine with compromise. To clarify I meant pale master or warforged, not necessarily both. There are clear trade-offs with either route. I'm not a half-elf, so the dilettante feats don't help. It's not complicated. Elves have a racial affinity for necromancy and positive energy in their background, I just wanted to get peoples ideas on how a racial enhancement line might be implemented.

As far as the current game goes I'm putting everything I can into UMD and might be able to use a wand or scroll or two by 20 but I don't like playing the game for the end levels. I also crafted a robe of Blood Rage which gives me the chance to proc false life I suggested as one possible implementation. Along with Aid potions, False Life, and Greater Heroism I can almost hit 300 HP at level 16. It has made me a lot more survivable than I was for those two or three levels without wands, but I'm still trying to find whatever advantage I can to survive.

Uska
06-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Elves need something but this doesn't feel right to me maybe this might be a good base for a pre for elves that follow the undying

Mastikator
06-12-2012, 03:19 AM
Archmage elves can get elven arcanum, for 12 ap get +4 spell pen and 80 spell points. Meaning they can skip getting spell penetration feat even without any past lives.
Which they can then spend on point blank shot and weapon focus: ranged, to get arcane archer while staying pure wizard.

The problem isn't that elves don't get any racial options, the problem is that ranged (the option they are given) is gimped.

PinkDragonJr
06-13-2012, 07:29 AM
i could see this being more employed as an elf fighter or, dare i say it, an elf barb enhancement. I mean, elves have warriors too and this would just the kind of thing that those sneaky tree huggers would be in to. And seeing as this will be of great benefit to melee classes that get absolutely no love at the moment I am all for it.

seenorseems
06-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Archmage elves can get elven arcanum, for 12 ap get +4 spell pen and 80 spell points. Meaning they can skip getting spell penetration feat even without any past lives.
Which they can then spend on point blank shot and weapon focus: ranged, to get arcane archer while staying pure wizard.

The problem isn't that elves don't get any racial options, the problem is that ranged (the option they are given) is gimped.

Even with the extra feats it's hard to pull off. All for the 5% chance of landing a slaying arrow at level 20.