PDA

View Full Version : Make Spring Attack a tactical feat

HatsuharuZ
06-04-2012, 12:57 AM
If you are going to spend two feats as prerequisites for something, it should be spectacular, or at least very useful. So, in addition to what it does already, let it act as a tactical feat mostly identical to the "abundant step" ability that monks and FvSs get already, but with a slight twist: During the duration of this feat the character automatically attacks anything close by during the "step".

Asmodeus451
06-04-2012, 01:27 AM
If you are going to spend two feats as prerequisites for something, it should be spectacular, or at least very useful. So, in addition to what it does already, let it act as a tactical feat mostly identical to the "abundant step" ability that monks and FvSs get already, but with a slight twist: During the duration of this feat the character automatically attacks anything close by during the "step".

while i like the idea, and spending 3 feats to get it does seem like a decent balancing factor, i can already hear all the FVS and monks whining about any character being able to get a more powerful version of their "unique" ability

HatsuharuZ
06-04-2012, 10:46 AM
while i like the idea, and spending 3 feats to get it does seem like a decent balancing factor, i can already hear all the FVS and monks whining about any character being able to get a more powerful version of their "unique" ability

It's not unique if two classes have it already. :P

And I'm not sure I can take that sort of complaint from an FvS seriously. They have enough benefits as it is.

Lonnbeimnech
06-04-2012, 10:49 AM
It's not unique if two classes have it already. :P

And I'm not sure I can take that sort of complaint from an FvS seriously. They have enough benefits as it is.

3 if you include air savant, I suppose 2 1/4.

InsanityIsYourFriend
06-04-2012, 11:36 AM
make it only hit an enemy that is in melee range of your end point, we dont want to have a barb with it hitting and and hitting everything for a very large number + aoe DMG from 2h

Spoprockel
06-04-2012, 11:45 AM
make it only hit an enemy that is in melee range of your end point, we dont want to have a barb with it hitting and and hitting everything for a very large number + aoe DMG from 2h

Who is 'we' and why don't you want that?

Sounds like fun, and it would have a cooldown like all the other tactical feats.

They could make it so it only works if there's an enemy to aim your spring attack at.

Tshober
06-04-2012, 11:55 PM
/signed

I like it. And, as was said, the 2 qualifying feats makes it pretty balanced. And it fits the name of the feat very well too.

Saravis
06-05-2012, 01:21 AM
A short ranged leaping melee attack similar to the leaping attack mutts have been using lately would make far more sense to me.

DeathsApprentice
06-05-2012, 01:39 AM

Why not? This sounds like a ton of fun. IMO melees need more AOE attacks. It's still going to do less damage than a fireball by a lvl 10 sorc, the cooldown will prevent you from spamming it and you have to take 2 useless feats to get it.

And it won't increase your boss dps. It just lets you reach trash faster (= good), take initial aggro (= good), does some AOE dps ( = good).

Maybe Turbine could make spring attack a sort of charge attack. A jump towards a single enemy with a damage bonus of some sorts. And if you tack on whirlwind attack, then you get the AOE damage.

In short: the OP's suggestion is full of win and /signed

HatsuharuZ
06-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Spring Attack as it is bothers me. I can't help but feel that while it might have been useful in PnP (to some people) it just doesn't work in DDO, where the fighting is in real time. No matter how it is implemented, the entire point of making spring attack into a tactical feat is to give melees more ways to deal damage, and deal MORE damage while they're doing it.

Also, when I played an FvS I figured out that the "abundant step" effect was a great way to get of danger, especially since I had this bad tendency to get aggro with my aura of menace.