PDA

View Full Version : temple of the sovereign host and word of recall

Claransa
05-28-2012, 12:19 PM
I think its high time divines were given their due! The temple of the sovereign host needs to get an overhaul to bring it inline with the portable hole. If for no other reason because of all those abominations... Pale Masters i think they're called.

Therrias
05-28-2012, 12:44 PM
I like the idea of making that spell more useful. Not sure how it would work thematically.

Maybe adding more options to it would be a better way to go. I'd like to word of recall to the grand druid poobah tree in faerun. It won't really make sense if druid are only able to port to the sovereign host when motu comes out.

(Yes, word of recall is supposed to also be a druid spell. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wordOfRecall.htm )

FranOhmsford
05-28-2012, 01:03 PM
1. Word of Recall should be tuned like Teleport to send you to more than one place in the game - I'd suggest:

Silver Flame - Catacombs {Just make the Non-Quest area f2p like Delera's Graveyard has been}.
Undying Court - House P
Vulkoor - Marketplace next to Searing Heights
Lord of Blades - House Cannith - He is after all beneath said house at this moment.

Halflings - House J
Dwarves - House K

2. Temple of Sovereign Host should at the least get:

Planesshifter - Will only send you to The Twelve, Amrath or Meridia.
Mailbox
Tavern
Divine Vendors

Siro
07-16-2012, 02:59 PM
*Yes I know kinda necro bumping this, but implementing this suggestion would put to bed the frequent complaint of 'add this new location to this transportation spell/item' after an update. Also, a distinction could be made between items with preset locations and items that grant a usage of a travel spell.

The game already tracks maps and coordinates. It should be programmatically trivial to move a player from one map and coordinate to another. So let's talk about revamping the transportation spells to take advantage of this. We also already have spells that are effectively multiple spells in one as well. The only real difficulty I can foresee is storing and tracking user defined locations (in that it adds database overhead, then again this could probably be saved client side as long as there is sanity checks on the server side).

Easiest one first:
Word of Recall (clr 6, Drd 8 according to srd): Needs a very well defined point as a return point and can't cross planes. So let's split this into two subspells. Recall and Sanctify. Sanctify lets you change your Recall point to your current position (long casting time, think reading a tome). Recall simply moves you to your sanctified point if you're on the same plane. Mechanically, Sanctify should work in any public area. Recall should work in any area on the same plane. So Sanctifying the Bar in Amrath or Eveningstar would be silly, but doable (although I suppose one might do this to speed up time exiting a quest).

Teleport: (sor/wiz 5, travel 5): Similar mechanics to word of recall, except we now have Teleport and Memorize as (fairly self explanatory) sub spells. Maybe limit number of memorized slots to casting stat modifier. Chance of failure would be interesting to implement, but needlessly complex in terms of making checks against potential stuck spots.

Plane Shift (clr 5, sor/wiz 7): Considering we really only have 3 'planes' in DDO, this spell could get by with the old teleport interface. Options could be Amrath, Marketplace, and Eveningstar. Keeping in mind that one of these options will always fail depending upon which plane one is on (one can't planeshift to the plane one is already on). Also, this should transport party members within close range of the caster as well (similar to current greater teleport, except that this would work in public instances as well).

Greater Teleport (sor/wiz 7, travel 7): Similar mechanic to new Teleport, but also transport party members within close range and memorize casting time much reduced.

Greater Planeshift (clr 7, sor/wiz 8): Similar to the new Greater teleport, except that one must also cross planes. So in order to go from House Jorasco to the Harbor, one must first transit to either Amrath or Eveningstar.

Gate (travel version) (clr 9, sor/wiz 9): Like Greater Planeshift except that it pops up a portal like those airship portal items that anyone can click on. Confirmation box on clicking the portal tells them where they're going. Problem of getting lower level characters to potential low level Faerun content, solved.

Gate (summon version): Summon random monster with CR=caster level.

Thoughts?

Therrias
07-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Thoughts?

/signed

I know I'd settle for less, but very well thought out ideas there.

zeonardo
07-16-2012, 03:19 PM
/signed

But I would be happy with just a double click a confirmation dialog or just a new icon...

How many times I mistook that for Unyielding Sovereignty...

danotmano1998
07-16-2012, 03:29 PM
I was wondering why the divine equivalent of teleport only got one destination.
It seems like this was an idea that never got finished and just wilted away, forgotten and alone.

I'd be happy just seeing something IN the temple of the sovereign host worth porting to, like the portable hole idea above.

/Signed for more divine lovin in the teleportation department of *ANY* kind.
A few amenties in the temple, and a couple more locations to port to would be outstanding.

valarx
07-16-2012, 05:54 PM
/signed

I'd actually like to see a few more temples around that highlight the different faiths. Then Word of Recall could take you to them. We might have to go kick out some of the unsavory types that have taken up residence in them. :) Seems like most temples are quests.

S0rdmasta
08-31-2012, 03:29 AM
And the most pointless spell award goes to....

Anyway, I agree with posts above. Seems like an unfinished idea and it would be nice if it got a bit of attention.

/signed.

Terebinthia
08-31-2012, 04:03 AM
/signed

But I would be happy with just a double click a confirmation dialog or just a new icon...

How many times I mistook that for Unyielding Sovereignty...

/notsigned. What better way to gracefully exit a terrible raid? :D

bloodnose13
08-31-2012, 04:52 AM
/signed to original post

arcanes have their portable hole, and all shops selling there are arcane based, so temple could be changed into same but for divines only, there are few side rooms that could be used for that.

to make this spell divided for diffrent locations it would mean that there would be a need for at least 2 more temple locations for every type of religion there is in ddo, dont see this happening, house d temple exist how long? and how much use does it see? 1 quest?

on the side note:
i dont get why all the other religion based clerics/paladins/fvs have to gather favor with silver flame (aka lame flame). maybe its time we got other patrons like sov host, undying court etc. and all quests that are giveing favor for silver flame would give favor to the patron based on what religious feat you took.
and then maybe.... since silver flame does not love any other religion very much, maybe there could be more temple locations for for menu in the recall spell.

Galeria
08-31-2012, 09:54 AM
/signed

Give divines a cool place to congregate and fast travel to.

dterror
08-31-2012, 11:52 AM
Make Word of Recall actually live up to it's name...make it recall you to where you are bound, same as if you performed /death, but without actually requiring you to die doing it.

Takes care of the versatility issue...you can set yourself to any spirit binder in the game and WoR will yank you back there, even if the binder is in Eveningstar, Amrath, or some other future other-planar location.

kilagan800
08-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Word of Recall needs a point, other than a teleport to house d.

LordMond63
08-31-2012, 09:11 PM
Howzabout letting you teleport you to whichever tavern you're bound in?

Galeria
08-31-2012, 09:14 PM
Recall to bind point is a great idea. Would make it worth having.