PDA

View Full Version : Ranger (help) AA archer build

paraplegic
05-28-2012, 12:07 AM
hey could someone help me doing a build with an arcane archer?
but im really a newb when bows get in the ecuation, so please anyone good a good build i could me?

wax_on_wax_off
05-28-2012, 01:25 AM
hey could someone help me doing a build with an arcane archer?
but im really a newb when bows get in the ecuation, so please anyone good a good build i could me?

What account options do you have access to? At the moment I'd suggest to stay away from any archer build that doesn't include 6 monk levels to access the 10k stars enhancement. If you have access to monk there are a bunch of 10k stars archer builds in my sig (the ranger or monk ones are the easiest to pick up).

ShadowFlash
05-28-2012, 02:02 AM
And I would advise the exact opposite...Level something along the lines of a helve's angel build or similar, only using the bow 20 seconds out of every 2 minutes for burst DPS unless the situation presents itself for single-shot (Improved Precise Shot) no-risk/party-friendly use.

There is no doubt, that if you want to play a full-blown "archer", to roll a monkcher per WoWo's advice...nothing wrong with that at all. The only reason I suggest a helve's build (other than non-monk based playstyle preferenec) is to get use to the pro's and con's of ranged DPS....there are many on both sides of the coin. Wax and I both Love AA's...we just have drastically different approches :)

I absolutely agree, account options are a "must-know" before any real build out-lines are given. If premium, what packs owned (or planned) as some yield more ranged focused loot. Secondary to this, is playstyle preference...If ranged-primary is your goal with a handwrap/monk secondary...monkcher absolutely...if melee-primary with excellent burst ranged is your goal---go helve's style.

ShadowFlash

wax_on_wax_off
05-28-2012, 02:43 AM
And I would advise the exact opposite...Level something along the lines of a helve's angel build or similar, only using the bow 20 seconds out of every 2 minutes for burst DPS unless the situation presents itself for single-shot (Improved Precise Shot) no-risk/party-friendly use.

There is no doubt, that if you want to play a full-blown "archer", to roll a monkcher per WoWo's advice...nothing wrong with that at all. The only reason I suggest a helve's build (other than non-monk based playstyle preferenec) is to get use to the pro's and con's of ranged DPS....there are many on both sides of the coin. Wax and I both Love AA's...we just have drastically different approches :)

I absolutely agree, account options are a "must-know" before any real build out-lines are given. If premium, what packs owned (or planned) as some yield more ranged focused loot. Secondary to this, is playstyle preference...If ranged-primary is your goal with a handwrap/monk secondary...monkcher absolutely...if melee-primary with excellent burst ranged is your goal---go helve's style.

ShadowFlash

Helves Angel is a great build but it isn't an archer, it's a melee build that pulls out a bow occasionally. If you want a ranged build then you have to build something different (which includes premium account options).

We complained long and vocally about the cruel joke it was to archers that they were best served only pulling the bow out in specific situations and being melee the rest of the time and we've finally been given an avenue to use range a lot more, seems a shame to waste it.

ShadowFlash
05-28-2012, 02:52 AM
Helves Angel is a great build but it isn't an archer, it's a melee build that pulls out a bow occasionally. If you want a ranged build then you have to build something different (which includes premium account options).

We complained long and vocally about the cruel joke it was to archers that they were best served only pulling the bow out in specific situations and being melee the rest of the time and we've finally been given an avenue to use range a lot more, seems a shame to waste it.

and now, unfortunately, the cruel joke is...in order to be a full-time archer...you must also be a part-time monk :p

/De-rail Off

@OP...don't be discouraged by our banter! enjoy your AA no matter how you want to play it :D

ShadowFlash

wax_on_wax_off
05-28-2012, 02:56 AM
and now, unfortunately, the cruel joke is...in order to be a full-time archer...you must also be a part-time monk :p

/De-rail Off

@OP...don't be discouraged by our banter! enjoy your AA no matter how you want to play it :D

ShadowFlash

It's easier to understand if you put it terms of if you want to be a full time archer you have to buy multiple premium account options (monk, half-elf and often artificer as well).

shadowowl
05-29-2012, 10:21 AM
my best advice for an AA
(I have 3 AA's and love them)
first understand that AA's strive in mid level at mid level they are bad ass. at low level 1-10 they are not that good so while you take your feats to build your AA focus on mellee I recomend 2h weapons from level 1-6 then as you get better to hit switch to twf for mellee. using bows occasionally by the time you get up to about level 9 should be good enough with a bow to hold your own. mid level your bow will be just about all you need as long as you have a decent bow. at higher level try to pick up a destruction bow as archers start to become more of a support class for the higher dps. or curse spewing bows anything ot help the big dps drop enemies faster.
My personal style is to use destruction/curse spewing/para bows until many shot is refreshed then switch to a high damage bow like lit2 and just light up things for 15 seconds then go back to surpressing fire role. AA's have a bit of a bad name because they think they are badasses at high level due to their experiences in mid level.
~note having been a barb as well I understand that going around kiting everything while great in some situations ANNOYS THE HELL out of mellee that do more damage in most situations. so limit your kiting to when it's appropriete. if you pull agro stop shooting unless you can kill it in the next cpl shots.

this is just a simple guidline for playstyle that I think works well as for builds I'm sure there are plenty of other suggestians and as long as you have enough dex for your bow skills and enough con to survive with decent str you should be fine. there of course may be other playstyles that work well as well and you might adjust it to fit your needs as a player good luck and enjoy :D

chrichton
05-30-2012, 02:59 PM
You can also go Kensai --> longbow, if you don't want to go Monk. You can hit Kensai III and AA on an elf.

Kawai
05-30-2012, 03:17 PM
You can also go Kensai --> longbow, if you don't want to go Monk. You can hit Kensai III and AA on an elf.

Kensai is a great option, though i prefer the Kensai II over the III. Yea, built them both, along with just about every other ranged build. The II gives you evasion (ponk) and the to-hit is already good enough for Epz. But, like they said, 1kStarz is theway to go at the moment.
-Tarelyn ~Achillesia, Thelanis

conanj77
06-03-2012, 07:59 PM
I just posted a build on the forums, it isn't a maxed out build like many other suggest, but it is a ranger AA that has a splash of fighter, and does its job. I played this build on Reiain's(my Tr) first life and he was able to kill of lots of trash and he had around 65 ac, 500hp and 600sp.

It has a bit of info on how to play the build and a recommended gear list.

Here is the link:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=376217

It only uses +2 tomes and 32pt builds.
Human, ranger and fighter are all free.
The gear is recommended and not required.
No monk, and very, very easy on the AP's

check it out, thanks for reading,

CJ out!