PDA

View Full Version : So how about some Greyhawk love?

Xariama
05-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Since Forgotten Realms is getting touched on next month, how about something for the world of Greyhawk? For many of us old-time players, Greyhawk was the first truly expansive world that stimulated our imaginations and set forth the paths of adventure. Not sure about Greyhawk City (though it'd be nice), but maybe Great Kingdom/Nyrond area, or Furyondy/Iuz? What do you think?

RabidKoala
05-26-2012, 05:13 PM
I think it will be a while 'till they're done with Forgotten Realms, but when they do tire of it I'd rather have Dark Sun.

Talias006
05-27-2012, 07:09 PM
I'm with Rabid, when they get done (some time long from now) with the Realms, we need to go to a world even more deprived of technology and magic.
DarkSun is the place.

Besides, I could never really get into GreyHawk.
DragonLance, yeah, but not GH.

Ungood
05-27-2012, 08:18 PM
I would actually like it if they only "touched" FR and moved on quickly to another world, going to each of them in kind. That would be kinda fun to be honest. Go to Dark Sun, then Ravenloft, Touch Dragon Lance, etc, etc, going though each of the worlds, to truly make DDO, Dungeons and Dragons, all worlds.

dodger72
05-27-2012, 08:20 PM
Doorway's to all the major realms would be sweet.

1/ Forgotten Realms
2/ Dark Sun
3/ Greyhawk
4/ DragonLance

Gizeh
05-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Doorway's to all the major realms would be sweet.

Yay Planescape!

yawumpus
05-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Yay Planescape!

One of the most important issues with adding a setting to DDO is that it can handle where DDO's power creep got to. We are beyond Monty Haul, and have to remember it. That said, Planescape should handle us well, Dark Sun not so well (assuming you could bring equipment).

I can't see being flung across the planes Terminator-style (naked), so I hope not to see Dark Sun. I've heard that Elminster has the completionist feat (I think that was mentioned in passing in the Baldur's Gate manuals), so maybe he will fit in with DDO's wild bunch. Much of the complaints about the Forgotten Realms is that the NPCs can handle *anything*, making the PCs less than sidekicks. Epic DDO toons who consider 4k hp mobs "trash" are who you need to step up when all those NPCs are up to it (Marty Stu will likely get upgraded by fiat).

Boombastic
05-28-2012, 12:16 AM
Dark Sun would be best as its own MMO, as its far different in many ways. Elves being taller and basically all thieves/cheats. The whole defiler thing, the god kings, etc etc.

Ungood
05-28-2012, 08:25 AM
The worst part about it is, that all those settings can be found in Ebbron already, IF DDO expanded into the rest of the world map.

archlyte
05-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Yes! Greyhawk would be amazing. +1

Ziindarax
05-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Dark Sun would be best as its own MMO, as its far different in many ways. Elves being taller and basically all thieves/cheats. The whole defiler thing, the god kings, etc etc.

Dark Sun had its chance as an MMO; it died (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Sun_Online:_Crimson_Sands).

Also, to those of you who are wishing we could go from Eberron to Dark Sun - we can't. From what I've read up so far on the Dark Sun wiki, it seems that not even Deities such as Lolth could establish a connection to Athas due to the presence of a dead realm known as "the Gray". The Gray prevents all deities from being able to establish a connection of any kind, and thus is why the Clerics there draw upon and worship the Elements.

There is, however, a tid-bit about the Astral plane being extremely difficult to breach (based on wikipedia which is suspect), but if Turbine were to remain true to the lore, you would basically be on a one-way trip to a Hell-world (or worse, you'd have defiler magic spilling over and destroying the other worlds [assuming deity-grade entities couldn't stop it]).

voodoogroves
05-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Dark Sun had its chance as an MMO; it died (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Sun_Online:_Crimson_Sands).

Also, to those of you who are wishing we could go from Eberron to Dark Sun - we can't. From what I've read up so far on the Dark Sun wiki, it seems that not even Deities such as Lolth could establish a connection to Athas due to the presence of a dead realm known as "the Gray". The Gray prevents all deities from being able to establish a connection of any kind, and thus is why the Clerics there draw upon and worship the Elements.

There is, however, a tid-bit about the Astral plane being extremely difficult to breach (based on wikipedia which is suspect), but if Turbine were to remain true to the lore, you would basically be on a one-way trip to a Hell-world (or worse, you'd have defiler magic spilling over and destroying the other worlds [assuming deity-grade entities couldn't stop it]).

Yeah, but honestly the cosmology of all the worlds have loopholes and restrictions ... equally limiting and equally allowing for unique edge cases to magically happen.

FR needs to run its course. I'm an Eberron fan-boy second (GH first), but I'd much rather see some FR low-level content as well, new sets of stories, etc. before we go to a third world.

FranOhmsford
05-29-2012, 07:09 PM

Dark Sun is connected to Ravenloft - Other than that you're right Ziin.

I'd like to see Spelljammer to be honest - Fits with Airships after all and allows us to visit Greyhawk, Mystara, Krynn and plenty of other worlds too.

BTW Halruua in the Southern Realms has Spelljammer ports and High Magic.
Evermeet also has Spelljammer technology of course.