PDA

View Full Version : Idea from Diablo 3

daniel7
05-20-2012, 05:55 PM
In Diablo III the number pad is assigned voice commands. Number 1 says out loud "Follow me!". This is helpful for players that don't have a mic, are mute, or won't speak because they don't want to disrupt others in their house. DDO could take this a step further. I suggest that 0-9 on the number pad say something out loud but also have text which will be displayed in whatever language the user is using.

So imagine you are playing in the US and you have selected English as your language in the Settings Menu. You press number 1 and a prerecorded message says "Stay here!" over your speakers and in the text box. Meanwhile in Spain your Spanish party member hears and sees the same message in Spanish or Catalan or whatever language they selected.

HatsuharuZ
05-20-2012, 07:22 PM
This suggestion is definitly a step in the right direction, and very practical. Uy... it can be very painful to party with someone who doesn't speak your language. ><

I know there is a German server, but is there a spanish server?

Gorbadoc
05-20-2012, 07:47 PM
I know there is a German server, but is there a spanish server?

I use those six years of grade school Spanish more often on Ghallanda than I do in real life.

I'm of two minds about the OP, but I lean toward thinking it's a good idea. On the one hand, I don't have trouble communicating in DDO, and I do like being able to actually talk to party members (and have interaction beyond simple "Follow me. Trap! etc."). Actual talking should be the standard preferred communication method. On the other hand, I want the game to be accessible to all sorts of people, and I think the benefits of improving language accessibility outweigh the risk that some people will become less conversational.

Thanquil
05-20-2012, 08:00 PM
I have the Naga Razor and 1-12 are thumb buttons for me so for me this wouldn't help sense I use those numbers for spells/gear swapping ect.. however I wouldn't be opposed to making it so you can bind those to any keys you want like everything else so far.

Drwaz99
05-20-2012, 08:02 PM
This is very similar to the Commo-rose used in the Battlefield Series FPS's. It's certainly well liked and well used there. :)

WielderofGigantus
05-20-2012, 08:20 PM
I can easily imagine the annoyance factor in this suggestion. It'd certainly be adding to blacklists and /ignores from people spamming the voice commands.

Drwaz99
05-20-2012, 08:26 PM
I can easily imagine the annoyance factor in this suggestion. It'd certainly be adding to blacklists and /ignores from people spamming the voice commands.

Maybe you could toggle them off in the UI like some other feature (like VOIP).

heythatsmyfish
05-20-2012, 08:53 PM

OMG never even though about that i was about to sign this suggestion but ya that would be hella annoying.

/not signed and /not signed again

Sidewaysgts86
05-20-2012, 11:45 PM
Some people here are *Really* too paranoid about things that "could be annoying if used all the time!". Seriously- Who the heck do these people adventure with? The amount of general "jerks" I've adventured with over the past couple of years could be counted on the single hand of a train-docker. Is it really that worrysome that someone might just spam 1 on the numpad left and right instead of spamming ctrl+v as it is now? Gimme a break. Not signing something because it has the chance that 1 in a hundred people would abuse it, where the other 99 would find it incredibly useful, is just silly if you ask me.

/signed big time. It doesnt have to be a "voice" thing like diablo has been using for years now, just have it state simple things in the party chat. "Follow me", "Wait here", "Ive found a trap", "Ive spotted a secret door", "OMGZ I NEEDS T3H HEALZ!", etc. Having a box that altered these messages on a personal level for our preferred languages as hinted at before- would be awesome. Im on the sarlona server and run mostly at night, with the server merge they did some time ago half the pugs im in are mostly chinese. It makes team work near impossible. Id LOVE a feature like this

/signed /signed and /signed.

Antheal
05-20-2012, 11:51 PM
"Cleric still hate you. Cleric can't cure stupid."

daniel7
05-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Maybe you could toggle them off in the UI like some other feature (like VOIP).

That's what I was thinking. Toggle voice and text separately.

EvilI
05-21-2012, 10:12 AM
The in-game voice chat is moderately well working, to be kind. At present my mic gives good sound over skype, but in-game 60% of people can't hear me. I give suggestion this my /sign of approval.

Missing_Minds
05-21-2012, 10:28 AM
OMG never even though about that i was about to sign this suggestion but ya that would be hella annoying.

/not signed and /not signed again

Any tool can be useful, any tool can be abused.

I am all for useful, and I'll just squelch any abuser.

Saravis
05-21-2012, 10:52 AM
/signed

You mean like the same thing you can do with regular voice chat? There's no way to turn down the volume of specific players for that, but no one has an issue with the annoyances that pop up.

mwgarn
05-21-2012, 10:52 AM
I loved this in day of defeat nothing like playing the axis and run out of spawn yelling Goes! Goes! Goes!

Was actuly very helpfull when calling out grenades.

I don't use voice as it disturbes the family.. Well it actuly disturbs me when they want to ask questions about who I am talking to and what not.. (I use headphones too for this reason) so anything that gives me more flexibility to communicate with the team would be great. An option to turn it off if your in the receiving end would be good too.

/signed

Malshier
05-21-2012, 12:58 PM
I have my numpad mapped to use items from a hot bar. I wouldn't make use of this. There is voice chat in DDO. Why not use it?

Marcus-Hawkeye
05-21-2012, 01:18 PM
What about if we could change the sound to whatever we wanted, or at least a fairly decent list of choices? I'd prefer some other audio than a voice.

Malshier
05-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Another caveat to this idea is the complaints I've seen (both in-game and on the forum) about people spamming their companions' tricks which make noise, notable the Baby Golem's chest pound, and irritating people with it. I've seen calls for there to be an option to disable those sounds (which I agree with) and could foresee a similar argument being made if this type of sound spam was implemented. And that could open a whole other can of worms if someone uses these sound spams for what they're intended (saying "Stop here!" or "Trap ahead!" or what have you) and others in the party have the sounds disabled. "Why didn't you stop for the trap?! I used the sound spam!" would be met with "I have all that annoying rubbish turned off so I didn't hear your spam!" making it an all around negative experience for both parties.

Izzban
05-21-2012, 05:02 PM
The in-game voice chat is moderately well working, to be kind. At present my mic gives good sound over skype, but in-game 60% of people can't hear me. I give suggestion this my /sign of approval.

Most likely your computer is not properly configured. If that is not the case then your mic is junk. (this assumes you know what the sliders/options in-game and in your OS audio interface mean)

DDO has a "lower than most" maximum gain level (personal subjective observation), but it is easily adjusted to the proper level by your OS settings. If you can't adjust the OS enough to compensate, then your mic is junk even though it seems to work well in another application. (Why are some players able to blow your eardrums out while others whisper? It's the mic and/or OS settings, not the game.)

Off-topic, heh. Forgive me.

on-topic...

I don't have a need for voice-text generic commands as such. I can also see that others may well have that need. I do not want to see them bound specifically to the numpad, but I know that was just the way another game did it and is not likely to be the way they are implemented in DDO.

So my position is, I would rather see dev time spent on something else, but I am fine if they choose to work on this.

nibel
05-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Scout says: Need a dispenser here!

Quarterling
05-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Scout says: Need a dispenser here!

When people were talking about spamming pre-recorded voice commands, this is exactly what came to mind. :D

There is voice chat in DDO. Why not use it?

Simple. Let's say you are mute or don't have a mic and you quickly want to communicate to your team. You can't use voice-chat under these circumstances.

Mizzaroo
05-21-2012, 08:52 PM
In Diablo III the number pad is assigned voice commands. Number 1 says out loud "Follow me!". This is helpful for players that don't have a mic, are mute, or won't speak because they don't want to disrupt others in their house. DDO could take this a step further. I suggest that 0-9 on the number pad say something out loud but also have text which will be displayed in whatever language the user is using.

So imagine you are playing in the US and you have selected English as your language in the Settings Menu. You press number 1 and a prerecorded message says "Stay here!" over your speakers and in the text box. Meanwhile in Spain your Spanish party member hears and sees the same message in Spanish or Catalan or whatever language they selected.

Not just D3, D2 had it too ;)

I have my numpad mapped to use items from a hot bar. I wouldn't make use of this. There is voice chat in DDO. Why not use it?

I dont have a mic. I dont intend to ever buy a mic. So I dont have voice chat. Something like his idea would make the game easier for those of us who dont have mics.
so/signed

Malshier
05-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Simple. Let's say you are mute or don't have a mic and you quickly want to communicate to your team. You can't use voice-chat under these circumstances.

I dont have a mic. I dont intend to ever buy a mic. So I dont have voice chat. Something like his idea would make the game easier for those of us who dont have mics.
so/signed

Fair enough. For the first 4 years I played, I absolutely refused to use a mic so I get where you're coming from.

I got really good at typing really really fast. Also, by using just typing the bare bones of info i.e. "TRAP!" instead of "My good adventuring companions, I do believe there may be a trap up ahead. Perhaps we should stop and allow our trapper to detect and disable the device so we don't set it off and inflict upon ourselves great bodily harm.", you can get your point across quickly and easily. I don't believe everyone will see it (as I mentioned previously, I typed exclusively for the first 4 years and so much of what I wanted to convey got ignored/lost in combat spam) but I don't know that obtrusive voice overs are the answer.

Zorth
05-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Not signed.

We have microphones on our headsets that are better.

Good idea but too arcade like in my opinion

Ungood
05-22-2012, 04:57 PM
To the OP: I am wondering, did you know there is a /Stop command in DDO. It has your Toon Shout Stop and Puts an Icon over their head to Stop.

Secondly, There is is a macro system in DDO, and while it is about the most awkward convoluted and annoying thing I have ever dealt with, It can be used to link the /stop command to a single key stroke. I think that is pretty much about all the macro system can do with any usefulness.

I have yet to see anyone actually use this feature, ever, at all in any quest, raid, or anytime other then when people were in the harbor or market playing with /emotes.

So I am not in any way trying to be rude, but, I see no point in adding an even more complex (and thus most likely end up being more convoluted) system, when players are not using what we already have.

Thus.

/Not Signed

dodger72
05-22-2012, 07:19 PM
meh....positives and negatives to this. If anything, I do think it'd be a good idea. I've played with mute folks in the party and typing out instructions or waiting to have those instructions in a raid typed out can be arduous. I can also see the abuse this could take at the same time.

So....that being said....

Spells have a cool down...give this a cool-down too. that way you can't spam.

just a thought.