PDA

View Full Version : Make "dehydration damage" means something

brian14
05-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Corrosive salt weapons/guards cause "dehydration damage". Right now it is just untyped damage which affects everything equally. I would like it to be a new, unique damage type. Here are my suggestions how it should work (yes, I realize it would make Corrosive Salt less powerful than it is now):

Earth, fire and air elementals/mephits: immune
Dust mephits: immune
Water elementals: 200% damage
Ice mephits: 200% damage
Mudmen: normal damage (earth and water equally)
Salt mephits: healed -- 33% absorption

Flesh golems: normal damage
Clay golems: 50% damage (earth and water, but mostly earth)
All other constructs: immune

Skeletal and incorporeal undead: immune
Corporeal undead: normal damage

Oozes: 150% damage
Everything else: normal damage

Thrudh
05-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Why?

brian14
05-03-2012, 10:26 AM
For flavor. The way it is now is boring.

InsanityIsYourFriend
05-03-2012, 04:24 PM
horrid wilting?

Postumus
05-03-2012, 04:30 PM
For flavor. The way it is now is boring.

It's already salty, how much more flavor do you need? You know... from the "corrosive salt?" (It sounded better in my head)

sweez
05-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Soo, you're asking for a nerf?

Saravis
05-03-2012, 04:52 PM
If you want to go this route then you should go the whole nine yards.
Dehydration should be insta-kill against enemies that are water based or require a significant amount of water to survive.

assimilateur
05-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Dehydration should be insta-kill against enemies that are water based or require a significant amount of water to survive.

By that logic bleeding should be insta-kill against enemies with blood or a similar fluid in their system.

Anyway, I don't see why corrosive salt is described as dehydration anyway. So is it corrosion or dehydration? If it's the latter then the name has nothing to do with it. But if we go by the name and not by the description, it working on everything makes perfect sense (corrosion is commonly understood as the deterioration of metal, but from what I understand it's actually far more general).

Matuse
05-03-2012, 06:01 PM
So you want to take Corrosive Salt, which is only found on a tiny number of weapons (really, just Calomel and the Cove Shortsword) and make it terrible against basically everything?

Saravis
05-03-2012, 06:26 PM
By that logic bleeding should be insta-kill against enemies with blood or a similar fluid in their system.

Should it? I wouldn't really know. I always just knew bleeding as a cut that caused increased blood loss or, in game terms, a DoT effect where you simply lost HP. I guess its a matter of how much blood loss bleeding should imply; all or a specific amount.

Dehydration, as I've understood it, dehydrates an enemy. Enemies that are water based or rely significantly on water should not be able to survive when dehydrated.

assimilateur
05-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Dehydration, as I've understood it, dehydrates an enemy.

Based on the etymology of the word ("removing of water" or something like that) I see where you're coming from, but that also doesn't imply removing all the water from an organism at once. Compare this to how the real-life condition called "dehydration" has different degrees of severity, on the lower end of which it is still possible to save a person's life.

Qzipoun
05-03-2012, 06:51 PM
It's already salty, how much more flavor do you need? You know... from the "corrosive salt?" (It sounded better in my head)

*sigh* ... +1, not proud of it

Gawdzilla
05-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Should it? I wouldn't really know. I always just knew bleeding as a cut that caused increased blood loss or, in game terms, a DoT effect where you simply lost HP. I guess its a matter of how much blood loss bleeding should imply; all or a specific amount.

Dehydration, as I've understood it, dehydrates an enemy. Enemies that are water based or rely significantly on water should not be able to survive when dehydrated. By that reasoning humans are water based and rely heavily on water, this would apply to the vast majority of mobs in the game.

assimilateur
05-03-2012, 07:22 PM
this would apply to the vast majority of mobs in the game.

I believe that was what the original poster proposed:

Everything else: normal damage

I'd be OK with either option, I guess (either make it work on most things or keep it working on everything as it does now), but some consistency would be nice. Currently we have a description ("dehydration damage") that has nothing to do with the name of the mod ("corrosive salt").

Expalphalog
05-03-2012, 07:26 PM
If you remove water from earth, clay and mud, it becomes more brittle. So these creatures should take at least normal damage instead of the blanket immunity or reduced damage you're giving them.

That said, I still wouldn't sign this idea. I'm a bit of an RP nut myself so I sympathize and understand, but I still can't justify nerfing something just for flavor.

Saravis
05-03-2012, 07:44 PM
By that reasoning humans are water based and rely heavily on water, this would apply to the vast majority of mobs in the game.

Perhaps, though I'm talking more on the "fish in water" level of reliance.

Talias006
05-03-2012, 07:46 PM
And by vast majority, here's food for thought in case you beg to differ.

Player races: Humans, Half-Elves, Half-Orcs, Elves, Drow, Halflings, Dwarves;
Enemy types: Sahuagin, Kobolds, Bugbears, Hobgoblins, Orcs, most Vermin, most Animals, Minotaur, Ogres, Trolls, Giants, Gnolls, Troglodytes.

Then there's the Dire and Fiendish variety of some of these which are likely to be susceptible, as well as many Demon-kin/Devil-kin and some Undead that might be too.

If it's flavor you're worried about, just think of it as acidic salt that's pressurized.

Have you seen the 1st Mummy with Brendan Fraser?
There's a scene in there where the workers get partially dissolved, essentially, by a intact salt trap.

That's probably close to what they were thinking for the Corrosive Salt function.

dodger72
05-03-2012, 08:48 PM
So you want to take Corrosive Salt, which is only found on a tiny number of weapons (really, just Calomel and the Cove Shortsword) and make it terrible against basically everything?

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/cgi-bin/shroud.cgi?item=item&weapon=khopesh&effects=corrosive_salt_&altar=3

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/cgi-bin/shroud.cgi?item=cloak&weapon=weapon&effects=salt2_it_&altar=3

Can also be crafted on greensteel.

MRMechMan
05-03-2012, 09:02 PM

Anyway, I don't see why corrosive salt is described as dehydration anyway. So is it corrosion or dehydration? If it's the latter then the name has nothing to do with it. But if we go by the name and not by the description, it working on everything makes perfect sense (corrosion is commonly understood as the deterioration of metal, but from what I understand it's actually far more general).

I propose a new effect called "smelling salts" which insta-kills any enemy with a nose.

assimilateur
05-03-2012, 11:12 PM
I propose a new effect called "smelling salts" which insta-kills any enemy with a nose.

I'm trying to figure out if you're mocking my point about the inconsistent naming or what the hell this is.

HatsuharuZ
05-03-2012, 11:42 PM
My suggestion is that every time the the salt guard procs and kills a living humanoid enemy, that enemy drops beef jerky or some other dried meat product.

In all seriousness, mixing logic and magic is a bad idea. Next we'll have barbarians bashing chests open with their heads, wizards dispelling magical traps and using disintegrate to destroy mechanical ones, or all piercing weapons having the "puncturing" property innately. By bringing order, you invite chaos. ;D

Matuse
05-04-2012, 02:31 AM
Can also be crafted on greensteel.

But nobody does. You lose more damage by not being able to take Holy than you gain from the Corrosive Salt proc.

Even the weapons which have the proc and don't require a sacrifice are seldomly used...and are pointless in a group, since the procs overwrite each other resulting is a significant loss in total damage output.

Most players look for ways to remove weapons from their inventory, not add more. The list of enemies that the OP wants Corrosive Salt to do more damage against are either rare (Water Ellies, Ice Mephits), or completely unthreatening (Oozes), or both (Oozes, since they basically never appear past level 12 which is the earliest you could get this proc, and the Cubes that actually -do- show up are not monsters you want to melee with any weapon). In comparison, the list of creatures he wants to be immune or take heavily reduced damage are FAR more common, or much more dangerous.

Take an already seldomly used weapon effect and make it notably worse with no real upside. Great plan. Really.