PDA

View Full Version : Quartar Staff

raier
04-26-2012, 04:36 AM
Hey, can we have random loot drops for silver staffs please?

Would be handy for crafting.

FuzzyDuck81
04-26-2012, 05:04 AM
Adamantine & cold iron ones would be nice too :)

Currently the only way to get craftable special material ones like that is through the store.

TEcarson
04-26-2012, 05:34 AM
Just curious...wouldn't Metalline do the trick?

oradafu
04-26-2012, 05:58 AM
Actually random metal-based quarterstaves do appear in the game, besides the DDOStore. Unfortunately, they don't appear as chest drops. They can sometimes appear as end rewards for Deleras and Threnal. (I've heard others claim other end rewards but I cannot confirm anywhere except for these two chains.)

I've had Cold Iron, Flametouched Iron, Adamantine and Byeshk quarterstaves drop as end rewards in those two quests. I personally haven't had a Silver staff drop, but people have confirmed that Silver staves can drop.

Some more notes about these staves... The metal-based quarterstaves from Delera and Threnal end rewards are BTA, whereas the DDOStore quarterstaves are BTC. The metal-based quarterstaves from end rewards are a very rare drop, whereas the DDOStore can be bought instantly, if you have the TP. Both are craftable, but the DDOStore Blessed Cold Iron and Silver Quarterstaves already break Demon and Devil DR.

Infant
04-26-2012, 06:00 AM
It could. But it takes the precious prefix, which can be used for "holy".

/signed

Infant

voodoogroves
04-26-2012, 06:35 AM
Actually random metal-based quarterstaves do appear in the game, besides the DDOStore. Unfortunately, they don't appear as chest drops. They can sometimes appear as end rewards for Deleras and Threnal. (I've heard others claim other end rewards but I cannot confirm anywhere except for these two chains.)

I've had Cold Iron, Flametouched Iron, Adamantine and Byeshk quarterstaves drop as end rewards in those two quests. I personally haven't had a Silver staff drop, but people have confirmed that Silver staves can drop.

Some more notes about these staves... The metal-based quarterstaves from Delera and Threnal end rewards are BTA, whereas the DDOStore quarterstaves are BTC. The metal-based quarterstaves from end rewards are a very rare drop, whereas the DDOStore can be bought instantly, if you have the TP. Both are craftable, but the DDOStore Blessed Cold Iron and Silver Quarterstaves already break Demon and Devil DR.

As an obscene quarterstaff fan, I find Delera's the best place to get BTA metal type sticks ... it's quicker to run, and I run it at least once on every character anyway. I also have never received a silver staff from there though (have the rest, BTA).

Store sticks are nice for that DR breaking though - that means you can build a holy (blessed silver) evil outsider bane and an axiomatic (blessed cold iron) chaotic outsider bane and beat up the eladrin with it.

honkuimushi
04-26-2012, 06:51 AM
I got a Byeshk staff from Co6. Note that the metal property doesn't show in the name or durability bar, you have to look at the magical properties to see if it has any special properties.

/signed

Infant

That's one issue. You could craft a Metalline of Pure Good, but it has lower DPS. On the other hand, it's more versatile. Perhaps more important is the crafting costs. Metalline is Divine 100 and I think it has a special ingedient. Holy is Divine level 37. That's a huge difference when crafting a beater.

An Acrobat is one of the few characters where I would still recommend a Min II as a proirity when crafting greensteel. It takes care of all your metal,and most metal + alignmen, DR issues when getting quarterstaffs made of special materials is an order of magnitude more difficult than any other popular weapon. The extra durability is also a real bonus because most regular staffs break easily.

Infant
04-26-2012, 06:57 AM
As an obscene quarterstaff fan, I find Delera's the best place to get BTA metal type sticks ... it's quicker to run, and I run it at least once on every character anyway. I also have never received a silver staff from there though (have the rest, BTA).

Store sticks are nice for that DR breaking though - that means you can build a holy (blessed silver) evil outsider bane and an axiomatic (blessed cold iron) chaotic outsider bane and beat up the eladrin with it.
Don't you need Cold Iron+Evil to bypass Ghaele/Eladrin DR?

Infant

Sarisa
04-26-2012, 07:08 AM
Any chain that can drop a named Quarterstaff is one where you are most likely to get a metal based BtA one. Delera's doesn't have a named Quarterstaff in its list, but if a certain item doesn't show up on your list, a random Quarterstaff can still be generated. Waterworks, STK, Tangleroot, and Catacombs are probably too low level to have metal based Quarterstaves appear with any regularity. Assault on Stormreach and Reign of Madness are possibilities, but may be too high level for metal based ones to appear that often.

Delera's, CO6, and Threnal are where I've personally seen them show up.

As said, make sure you examine the properties of each one you see in the chain reward lists because it doesn't include the metal type in the name.

Devil's Assault technically should have them available, but I have not personally seen a metal type Quarterstaff drop from there, so that may be a "bug".

Infant
04-26-2012, 07:12 AM
Any chain that can drop a named Quarterstaff is one where you are most likely to get a metal based BtA one. Delera's doesn't have a named Quarterstaff in its list, but if a certain item doesn't show up on your list, a random Quarterstaff can still be generated. Waterworks, STK, Tangleroot, and Catacombs are probably too low level to have metal based Quarterstaves appear with any regularity. Assault on Stormreach and Reign of Madness are possibilities, but may be too high level for metal based ones to appear that often.

As said, make sure you examine the properties of each one you see in the chain reward lists because it doesn't include the metal type in the name.

Devil's Assault technically should have them available, but I have not personally seen a metal type Quarterstaff drop from there, so that may be a "bug".

Fens?

Would mean there is no need to farm low-level boring stuff, but instead I could run few epic Fens and hope for a good BtA QS.

Infant

Sarisa
04-26-2012, 07:16 AM
Fens?

Would mean there is no need to farm low-level boring stuff, but instead I could run few epic Fens and hope for a good BtA QS.

Infant

Possible, but I've personally never seen a Quarterstaff drop from a Fens end reward (up to 118 eClaw completions, and over 50 of each of the others).

TEcarson
04-26-2012, 07:43 AM

/signed

Infant

Ahhh...gotcha. Thanks mate...had forgotten that tidbit.

/signed

voodoogroves
04-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Don't you need Cold Iron+Evil to bypass Ghaele/Eladrin DR?

Infant

Elastin as a type share child iron. Some also require evil, like the ghaele, but not all.

voodoogroves
04-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Possible, but I've personally never seen a Quarterstaff drop from a Fens end reward (up to 118 eClaw completions, and over 50 of each of the others).

Same experience. And the stupid hats there are not BTA either.

Diyon
04-26-2012, 08:15 AM

Something else to note, is that these staffs are buggy visually. The metal type won't be listed in the name. I'm pretty sure you can get these in those lower lvl chains as the result seems to be that of a bug.

I've heard the sharn quests are a good one to run for them, but I've had good results out of Co6 personally.

Another thing, run it with "End Rewards based on class" turned on, while on a character that would normally get staffs sometimes because of this.

But, ya, regularly dropping ones like other weapons would be nice. /signed.

Avidus
04-26-2012, 08:44 AM
It would be nice if all the weapons in the game had an equal chance of dropping everywhere.

Why is it that if you want a metal typed quarterstaff you have to run entire chains and hope you get a quaterstaff in the end reward list?
Then you have to actually examine the weapon as the metal property is not in the name.

Why is it that metal typed handwraps only drop from one quest in the entire game?

Why can you find metal typed khopeshes, or any non quarterstaff non handwrap weapon, anywhere you go?

These things should have been addressed a long time ago.

Urist
04-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Delera's doesn't have a named Quarterstaff in its list, but if a certain item doesn't show up on your list, a random Quarterstaff can still be generated.
I believe that the item which needs to be missing is the Devotion handwraps (which are flametouched iron threaded). I couldn't say if the resultant staff was always metal, but it was certainly very common for me.
I have picked up a BtA silver +3 quarterstaff from somewhere. I couldn't say for sure that it was from Delera's, but I don't own Threnal. It might have come from Sentinels, but I don't think so.
The only (BtA) metal staff I haven't found yet is a flametouched iron one.

Diyon
04-26-2012, 09:03 AM
I believe that the item which needs to be missing is the Devotion handwraps (which are flametouched iron threaded). I couldn't say if the resultant staff was always metal, but it was certainly very common for me.
I have picked up a BtA silver +3 quarterstaff from somewhere. I couldn't say for sure that it was from Delera's, but I don't own Threnal. It might have come from Sentinels, but I don't think so.
The only (BtA) metal staff I haven't found yet is a flametouched iron one.

Another common bug result is to get stuff that has things like "+1 enhancement" on it twice.

Kinerd
04-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Elastin as a type share child iron. Some also require evil, like the ghaele, but not all.Was this a phone post? Some fascinating auto-corrects if so, otherwise 9:09 AM is awfully early to be drinking, sir.

Fens just has really weird randomly generated loot. Odd ML weapons, items whose ML has absolutely no bearing on their enchantments (and not in the cool Reign of Madness way), etc.
It would be nice if all the weapons in the game had an equal chance of dropping everywhere.

Why is it that if you want a metal typed quarterstaff you have to run entire chains and hope you get a quaterstaff in the end reward list?
Then you have to actually examine the weapon as the metal property is not in the name.

Why is it that metal typed handwraps only drop from one quest in the entire game?

Why can you find metal typed khopeshes, or any non quarterstaff non handwrap weapon, anywhere you go?

These things should have been addressed a long time ago.To be fair, quarterstaves are universally terrible weapons. Even Acrobats are better off TWFing. With that in mind, it doesn't seem like a terribly high priority.

Ungood
04-28-2012, 02:06 PM

These things should have been addressed a long time ago.

This is a great question. The answer is that a weapon that is typically made of metal, will be more commonly made of varying kinds of metals.

Historically, a Sword would be made of any metal strong enough to do the job, IE: Bronze, Steel, Iron, etc.

However, a Quarterstaff is normally made of wood, so rare woods, like Darkwood, are common for a Quarterstaff, so acquiring a metal one would be very rare and a highly specialty item to start with, getting one made of a rare metal like silver, cold iron.

Handwraps, would be even rarer when you consider they are cloth and thus requiring special metal threading, so getting silver threaded, or what have you in hand wraps, would be borderline unique.

However, it would be nice to expand the current crafting system to allow us to make our own blanks as opposed to depending on dumb luck and random chance to find them in chests as loot.

While either would be good as far as I am concerned.

/Signed to the OP's idea or something else along those lines.

Ungood
04-28-2012, 02:09 PM
To be fair, quarterstaves are universally terrible weapons. Even Acrobats are better off TWFing. With that in mind, it doesn't seem like a terribly high priority.

While this is true, they are one of the few Ki Weapons in the game, which leaves, Handwraps, QS, Kama's or Shurikens. not a large list if you ask me. Long-swords and bows are available if you spend the feat to get them.

Personally I think that a selcting a Kensi Signature weapon, should make the signature weapon count as a Ki Weapon for that character.

CThruTheEgo
04-28-2012, 02:10 PM
I can confirm that metal quarterstaffs drop from Catacombs. In fact, I have seen them in that end reward list more than any other. I have also gotten a few from Co6. And yes, silver staffs do drop, I've got 2 but don't remember where I picked them up. Wiki also had a page that told you where to find specific BtA items from specific quests, though I cannot find it now.

t0r012
04-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Was this a phone post? Some fascinating auto-corrects if so, otherwise 9:09 AM is awfully early to be drinking, sir.

Fens just has really weird randomly generated loot. Odd ML weapons, items whose ML has absolutely no bearing on their enchantments (and not in the cool Reign of Madness way), etc.To be fair, quarterstaves are universally terrible weapons. Even Acrobats are better off TWFing. With that in mind, it doesn't seem like a terribly high priority.

quarterstaves worse than twf kopeshes so lets not have quarterstaves drop in random loot as special metal types?

one would think it would be the other way around...

Kinerd
04-28-2012, 03:15 PM
While this is true, they are one of the few Ki Weapons in the game, which leaves, Handwraps, QS, Kama's or Shurikens. not a large list if you ask me. Long-swords and bows are available if you spend the feat to get them.

Personally I think that a selcting a Kensi Signature weapon, should make the signature weapon count as a Ki Weapon for that character.Isn't the Kensai ki thing so weird? Your suggestion would make so much more sense, and with so many of the big boy ki attacks being unusable with weapons it doesn't seem like it would catastrophically unbalance anything.
quarterstaves worse than twf kopeshes so lets not have quarterstaves drop in random loot as special metal types?

one would think it would be the other way around...How so? If only 2% of people use quarterstaffs, a change benefiting quarterstaffs will only make 2% of people happy, perhaps slightly more that decide to switch to them. If the resources could instead be devoted to a change that makes 50% of people happy, it seems like an easy choice to me.

I am operating on the assumption that the quarterstaff peculiarity was unintentional. It seems pretty unlikely that someone at Turbine would go out of their way to nerf them in the loot tables, no?

Ungood
04-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Isn't the Kensai ki thing so weird? Your suggestion would make so much more sense, and with so many of the big boy ki attacks being unusable with weapons it doesn't seem like it would catastrophically unbalance anything.

+1 Exactly!

DethTrip
04-30-2012, 10:07 AM
/signed

I would also love to see a nice named stunning staff that could be epicced into something awesome. Hook us up Turbine!

Diyon
04-30-2012, 12:19 PM
How so? If only 2% of people use quarterstaffs, a change benefiting quarterstaffs will only make 2% of people happy, perhaps slightly more that decide to switch to them. If the resources could instead be devoted to a change that makes 50% of people happy, it seems like an easy choice to me.

I am operating on the assumption that the quarterstaff peculiarity was unintentional. It seems pretty unlikely that someone at Turbine would go out of their way to nerf them in the loot tables, no?

Well, for one thing, this change would be really easy to implement I imagine (Staffs, unlike wraps, work like other weapons, and other weapons do this).

Whether it was intentional or not, there are people unhappy with how it currently works, and to change it doesn't make any unbalancing issues.

-
On the note that making a staff out of metal types would be exceptional, that's silly. They don't have to be made out of metal, they can just have metal shod ends. Not much different than studded or threaded wraps. Plus, putting silver caps on the end of a wooden stick isn't hard. We base in game NPC transactions on gold and platinum. For more rare materials, well, capping the ends of a stick is a whole lot less material than making an entire blade of it.