PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Help

Dwergar
04-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Hi guys. I need some advice. I think i messed up my Ranger's stats but do not want to delete Her since i bought a Large Quiver off the DDO Store and have the Large Learning Tome on her from when i bought the Underdark pack. Her stats are as follows.

Str 10
Dex 22
Con 11
Int 10
Wis 15
Cha 10

Any suggestions on how i can fix this with out deleting the character? I want an Archer build and realize that the loss of Strength will hinder me greatly in the damage department with my bows.

ThePrincipal
04-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Keep it. Looks like a fine archer. Could pick up weapon finese to help out on the to-hit when you're twf. Con is a little low, but you can self heal and should be fine.

Dwergar
04-24-2012, 05:47 PM
should i put my level up stats into strength to improve the damage then? and acquire, which is obvious, some strength gear to help raise the bar on that a little?

Garix
04-24-2012, 05:47 PM
You will need a Lesser reincarnation to fix the stats

Something like (assuming 28 points and elf)

Str 16
Dex 16
Con 14
Wis 10
Cha/Int 8

or

Str 14
Dex 18
Con 14
Wis 10
Cha/Int 8

Personally prefer the higher starting strength

Dwergar
04-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks Garix. I'll have to look into getting more turbine points then. And teh character is a Drow so will that matter any?

Garix
04-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Nah. Just means your int and cha will be 2 point higher

Elf would of been the better bet (+2hit/damage) over Drow but not by that much

Imatotalnoob
04-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Gear can fix almost anything.
Which server and what are u?
Are u open to multiclassing?

A LR tome is the easy but expensive way out.
There are alot of good bows to use tactically.

You'll just have to play smart instead of mauling everything
to death with ubber dps.

With your high wis u could play backup healer/buffer
And with good bows, mob debuffer

I'm on Kyber btw.

Cheers

unbongwah
04-24-2012, 07:51 PM
At a glance, I'd say your STR & CON are too low and your WIS is too high - easily (if not cheaply) fixed with an LR.

I wouldn't personally go with a drow AA ranger; but if I did, I'd expect it to look something like this:

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.12.01
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 True Neutral Drow Female
(20 Ranger)
Hit Points: 262
Spell Points: 405
BAB: 20\20\25\30\30
Fortitude: 14
Reflex: 18
Will: 5

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(28 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 16 21
Dexterity 17 22
Constitution 14 14
Intelligence 10 10
Wisdom 8 8
Charisma 10 10

Level 1 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead
Feat: (Selected) Point Blank Shot

Level 2 (Ranger)

Level 3 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Ranged Weapons

Level 4 (Ranger)
Ability Raise: STR

Level 5 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Giant

Level 6 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness
Enhancement: Ranger Sprint Boost I
Enhancement: Ranger Sprint Boost II
Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer: Imbue Force Arrows
Enhancement: Drow Weapon Attack I
Enhancement: Drow Weapon Damage I
Enhancement: Elven Dexterity I
Enhancement: Elven Enchantment Resistance I
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage I
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage II
Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer I
Enhancement: Ranger Devotion I
Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity I

Level 7 (Ranger)

Level 8 (Ranger)

Level 9 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Ranged Weapons

Level 10 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider

Level 11 (Ranger)

Level 12 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness
Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer: Imbue Acid Arrows
Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer: Imbue Explosive Arrows
Enhancement: Drow Weapon Attack II
Enhancement: Drow Weapon Damage II
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Attack I
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage III
Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer: Conjure +2 Arrows
Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer: Conjure +3 Arrows
Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity II

Level 13 (Ranger)

Level 14 (Ranger)

Level 15 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Construct
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Piercing Weapons

Level 16 (Ranger)

Level 17 (Ranger)

Level 18 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Power Attack

Level 19 (Ranger)

Level 20 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Elemental
Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer: Imbue Force Burst Arrows
Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer: Imbue Slaying Arrows
Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer: Imbue Terror Arrows
Enhancement: Ranger Master of Archery
Enhancement: Elven Dexterity II
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Attack II
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage IV
Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer: Conjure +4 Arrows
Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer: Conjure +5 Arrows
Enhancement: Ranger Devotion II
Enhancement: Ranger Devotion III
Enhancement: Ranger Devotion IV
Enhancement: Ranger Energy of the Wild I
Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity III

The important thing about playing a pure AA ranger is knowing when to put away your bow and whip out your blades instead (rapiers and/or short swords in your case). Ironically, a pure ranger isn't the best choice for a pew-pew-pew-focused build.

Magehound
04-24-2012, 08:11 PM
The important thing about playing a pure AA ranger is knowing when to put away your bow and whip out your blades instead (rapiers and/or short swords in your case). Ironically, a pure ranger isn't the best choice for a pew-pew-pew-focused build.

I know this will start a storm but have to say it.

Sorry but I do not agree with you here. I can do more damage with slaying arrows and lit 2 bow than I can with 2 lit 2 rapiers. I do know that playing a ranged ranger is not easy, you have to learn how to pull the mobs into the line instead of away as you keep moving to keep from getting smashed. I know that straight dps a ranger will fall behind the dps curve but with mutishot/lit 2 bow(or disintegration if needed)/slaying arrows i have pulled aggro off a barabarian more than once. It does take the correct gear but what build doesn't. I have tried different ranger builds but have to say my favorite for dps is a pure ranger.

But in the end I believe that people need to remember that this is a game, I will play my character the way that is fun for me, not the way somebody else thinks I should. So then I do not tell other people how to play their characters either.

Dwergar
04-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Wow guys. thanks for the advice. I did buy an LR from the store, now all i need to do is look at builds.

To the guy asking what server i am on. I am currently on Ghallanda but started out on Khyber, have characters there that i may go back to if i get bored of Ghallanda.

Zyerz
04-24-2012, 08:46 PM
Con is a bit low... But the rest of the stats are good.

Imatotalnoob
04-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Wow guys. thanks for the advice. I did buy an LR from the store, now all i need to do is look at builds.

To the guy asking what server i am on. I am currently on Ghallanda but started out on Khyber, have characters there that i may go back to if i get bored of Ghallanda.

Well if u poke your head on Kyber
Look me up, main is nonreflectiv

We have a lvl 51 guild u can join to level up with
Then leave when your done.
The +20 resists really help at the lower levels

Cheers

jilles.ragonha
04-25-2012, 09:43 AM

Sorry but I do not agree with you here. I can do more damage with slaying arrows and lit 2 bow than I can with 2 lit 2 rapiers. I do know that playing a ranged ranger is not easy, you have to learn how to pull the mobs into the line instead of away as you keep moving to keep from getting smashed. I know that straight dps a ranger will fall behind the dps curve but with mutishot/lit 2 bow(or disintegration if needed)/slaying arrows i have pulled aggro off a barabarian more than once. It does take the correct gear but what build doesn't. I have tried different ranger builds but have to say my favorite for dps is a pure ranger.

But in the end I believe that people need to remember that this is a game, I will play my character the way that is fun for me, not the way somebody else thinks I should. So then I do not tell other people how to play their characters either.

hey dude
can u post your build for us??
:D

Kinerd
04-25-2012, 04:06 PM

Sorry but I do not agree with you here. I can do more damage with slaying arrows and lit 2 bow than I can with 2 lit 2 rapiers. I do know that playing a ranged ranger is not easy, you have to learn how to pull the mobs into the line instead of away as you keep moving to keep from getting smashed.

I know that straight dps a ranger will fall behind the dps curve but with mutishot/lit 2 bow(or disintegration if needed)/slaying arrows i have pulled aggro off a barabarian more than once. It does take the correct gear but what build doesn't. I have tried different ranger builds but have to say my favorite for dps is a pure ranger.

But in the end I believe that people need to remember that this is a game, I will play my character the way that is fun for me, not the way somebody else thinks I should. So then I do not tell other people how to play their characters either.There are two things going on here:
-objective, factual: what build does more DPS
-subjective, non factual: what build does a particular person enjoy more
unbongwah can make the (absolutely correct) objective, factual claim that a 10k archer does more ranged DPS than a non-10k archer without making any claim as to the subjective, non factual arena.

Everyone knows that a ranged ranger with Manyshot active does a lot of DPS. The point is that the other 5/6 of the time, without Manyshot active, you (objectively) do significantly more DPS with melee weapons. Please note that this in no way suggests what combat style you enjoy, or should enjoy.

In the same way as the facts do not have any causal force on what you enjoy, what you enjoy has no causal force on what the facts are. Please do not let your emotions lead other people astray.

Dwergar
04-28-2012, 03:52 PM
I have another query. tomes... should i waste my time on wisdom tomes to be able to cast ranger spells?? if so what should i look into getting? and should i also be getting wisdom based gear to help offset the level of spells i can cast?

Hobgoblin
04-28-2012, 04:08 PM
I have another query. tomes... should i waste my time on wisdom tomes to be able to cast ranger spells?? if so what should i look into getting? and should i also be getting wisdom based gear to help offset the level of spells i can cast?

u do not need the tome! though you may want it especially if you decide to splash. all you need is a 14 wis to cast all of you spells. gear works for this

hob

what is your toons name on gland?

Dwergar
04-29-2012, 09:38 AM
Hobs, thanks for the input. my character is Ilphynrae on Ghal. look me up if you have any suggestions there. also you could look for Dwergar on the my ddo pages. that's me with my list of characters.

Phidius
04-29-2012, 10:02 AM

The biggest problem with ranged combat is the seemingly unavoidable kiting. I seriously doubt that any ranged-combat-build does more ranged DPS than melee + the other 5 people in the group.

We all have stories to tell about that Artificer who was pew-pew-pewing while kiting the mobs through their blade barrier, and then played the "Wow you guys were lucky I was here" card, right?

smeggy1384
04-29-2012, 10:03 AM

If you can farm the tomes, or buy them in AH with plat yes go for it. The more important things would be having the right weapons, paralyzer, banisher, smiter and such. Is it worth buying the ddo store +2 tomes? No. Spend your real money on packs or something.

Dwergar
04-29-2012, 10:23 AM
sigh... now i just noticed another issue with my build. thankfully i am only lvl 3 so. i got to ask. i dropped skill points into heal, but after searching the fourms i noticed a lot of flack on the need for the skill so now i was going to change that up. I noticed no means other than another LR item to fix them so if i stick with my mistake and move on what skill(s) should i try to focus on going forward? UMD looks like a standard one, but i want to know which ones will best benefit me ingame.

Hobgoblin
04-29-2012, 10:34 AM
did you already use your heart? if so then level 3 is not that big a deal - just don't put more points into it

umd is good, but it takes a lot of gear to make it worth it if you don't have it as a class skill. (its worth the work trust me!)

concentration is important if you want to blue bar, but can be dropped.

hob

smeggy1384
04-29-2012, 11:09 AM
For skills UMD can unlock alignment based gear (such as pure good for beating a bosses damage reduction) around 20 umd, not too hard to achieve, as well as scrolls and wands for healing and buffing. As a ranger not all cure type wands will take a UMD check, mainly the first 2 cures.

You will need balance, regardless of melee or ranged you will get tripped, hit with cometfall or some other thing to knock you down once in a while. Some check dex some check balance skill to put you back on your feet (and doing damage) quicker or to avoid the knockdown completely.

Don't worry about the search, spot, and listen skills, you can get a true seeing item to get doors, then just let the rogue or arti worry about traps.

The heal skill is pretty useless, its a small boost per point into it, you can just top up with a wand before or after a shrine and ignore this skill. With healers kits you can use the heal skill on an incapacitated ally, but then wands do this without taking an extra space (assuming you carry them anyway) and i believe are much faster.

Kinerd
04-30-2012, 04:25 PM
The biggest problem with ranged combat is the seemingly unavoidable kiting. I seriously doubt that any ranged-combat-build does more ranged DPS than melee + the other 5 people in the group.

We all have stories to tell about that Artificer who was pew-pew-pewing while kiting the mobs through their blade barrier, and then played the "Wow you guys were lucky I was here" card, right?It's just a habit, though. Tell people "stop doing that" enough and they will either stop doing it or stop grouping with you... either way problem solved. :D

Dwergar
04-30-2012, 08:35 PM
It's just a habit, though. Tell people "stop doing that" enough and they will either stop doing it or stop grouping with you... either way problem solved. :D

hehe this is so true. last year while playing WoW, i was the tank in a group with 2 of my pals. or maybe 3 of them and one of the pugs in the group was a mage. he kept drawing aggro before i did so i let him fight what he drew. he died, we continued killing the mobs then when all was said and done i took my Paladin over to his corpse and rezzed him, then said to him in chat "The next time you pull aggro before i get into combat, you can walk your ass back to the dungeon." He never pulled aggro again and we finished the dungeon with out any more stupidity. All one needs to do is tell the guy that does things like this, ie kiting away from tank etc.... that he needs to stop that which is stupid.