PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Homunculus:Iron Defender Questions & Thoughts

Drakesblood
04-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Normally, I play play a bard and know all the in's and out's of that one class, Artificer on the other hand... Not so much.

One of the unique points of the Artificer is his Summon Homunculus:Iron Defender. I really wanted to explore how useful is the defender especially for end game stuff (Even though it runs on AI of a new player). I looked over the enhancements and different items the defender could equip as well as the Augment Summoning feat.

Here is some of the numbers I was able to get:

[BASE]
STR: 42(+16) HP: 650
DEX: 27(+8) AC: 48
CON: 38(+14) Fort: +26
INT: 14(+2) Ref: +14
WIS: 23(+6) Will: +12
CHA: 18(+4) BAB (+20)

[Quorforged Docent of Battle]
STR: 42(+16) HP: 770
DEX: 27(+8) AC: 55
CON: 44(+17) Fort: +29
INT: 14(+2) Ref: +14
WIS: 23(+6) Will: +10
CHA: 18(+4) BAB (+20)

With these buffs I got him up to:
[+2 Ship Shrines] + [+4 Cats/Bulls] + [Rage] + [Haste] + [+5 Natural Armor] + [+5 Shield of Faith] + [Positive Energy infusion] + [Bard AC Song]

[BUFFED]
STR: 50(+20) HP: 891
DEX: 33(+11) AC: 71
CON: 48(+19) Fort: +31
INT: 16(+3) Ref: +17
WIS: 25(+7) Will: +12
CHA: 20(+5) BAB (+20)

I was really tempted to have him try and tank some raid bosses (would need more threat gen) but a few things came up. I decided on the Homunculus Combat Alacrity capstone since gave some nice perks.

Here are some test results to see if Hastes stacks with the capstone. (Used the portal to Resia as a test dummy)

No Capstone(No Haste) No Capstone(Haste)
124 Hits 125 Hits
Capstone(No Haste) Capstone(Haste)
24 Hits 25 Hits

I was really surprised that the defender did not attack much faster with haste but even more surprised that he attacked less often and slower with out the capstone. I did notice he was using the specials like Trip and Sunder which might be reducing his attacks per second and overall being ineffective. I tried to remove the feats from the hot bar but he still did the specials and everything.

I would find it really funny and awesome if I could get the dog to tank some raid bosses, but the most practical approach would be to have the defender be better over all DPS then tank. So here are some questions:

Is it possible for the dog to tank any Raid Boss?
What should I consider for Maximizing the damage from the defender?
What items would be best fit the defender when it fights red/purple named bosses?
Is there a way to force the defender to NOT use his specials while attacking?
What other tests or buffs should I use on the defender that was not mentioned?

Thanks for any feed back!

Hazor
04-24-2012, 03:16 AM
Is there a way to force the defender to NOT use his specials while attacking?

Not putting the special attacks on his hotbar.

But generally, it all looks nice on paper, but tanking raid bosses is not a paper exercise.

FooWonk
04-24-2012, 08:07 AM
Here is how I maxed AC on my robo-mutt...

AC
26 —> base AC
11 —> DEX (base + spell + shrine)
02 —> DEX from Augmented Summoning
14 —> +5 Natural Armor +3 Docent of Superior Stability
04 —> +5 Improved Cursespewing Module of Greater Parrying
01 —> Enchant Armor
14 —> Adamantine Plating IV
04 —> Danger Avoidance IV
==
76 AC

I also got Distraction IV - don't add to hotbar - and Evasion II.
Any left over points went to reinforced plating.

It was survivable until level 19 quests.
After that, I never summoned it again.

I maxed my Artificers diplomacy skill. The dog was my aggro shed.
I'd collect a lot of hate, get near the dog and use diplomacy. Most
mobs would turn their attention to the mutt.

I'd be surprised if a dog successfully tanks any raid harder than Tempest Spine.

Good luck.

voodoogroves
04-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Was in a group yesterday and we had him tank the drow dude at the end of Lords of Dust epic. It was amusing.

Jaid314
04-24-2012, 12:00 PM
if the dog works like most other summons, i'd say it's possible he might be able to tank the stormreaver. mostly because summons don't get thrown to the ceiling, and can therefore continue to generate aggro (and are the first ones on the ground).

smeggy1384
04-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Can it tank when you're actually dpsing? For a few bursts yes, but usually by the third reload and with IPS the whole mob my pet had grabbed is heading my way.

Is it at all reliable at tanking? No, absolutely not. Half the time it will stand around and do nothing. Sometimes playing with its stances (aggro, def, passive) can fix it, not guaranteed.

If you want to max its dps set it up for bluff and sneak attacking, and if you happen to be h-elf with rogue dilly you can use your bluff after it does and both be sneak attacking things.

For either rogue or tank line when it works it works great, though it working(or even doing anything) is not guaranteed.

Kyrgan
04-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Interesting thought.

My 1st mutt - just a lowly lvl 7 arti - is named "Bait". I was vacillating between that or "Chum". I spent 2 points on Uncaring master just so I can use him to "scout".

Good clean fun...

RumbIe
04-26-2012, 09:31 AM
I still like my pooch at level 19 so I'm curious how that will change at level 20. I gave him trip and sunder which of course never work on bosses but on trash it helps. Though I guess I have never checked to see if the sunder proc'd on a boss. In any case boosted his STR and HP and whatever I could to make him last longer. In most quests he does just fine, but if I notice him dipping frequently in HP I'll put him on passive or stow him for a bit.

The most useful thing though that I see is a curse spewing module. This helps everyone from the melee to the casters in the party. I'd love to find an improved curse spewing module, but no luck yet. Not even sure they exist. Are they craftable? I heard someone say you could do so from a pair of handwraps, but I'm not sure how that would be done.

Khatzhas
04-29-2012, 03:27 PM
The most useful thing though that I see is a curse spewing module. This helps everyone from the melee to the casters in the party. I'd love to find an improved curse spewing module, but no luck yet. Not even sure they exist. Are they craftable? I heard someone say you could do so from a pair of handwraps, but I'm not sure how that would be done.
Modules can be crafted from handwraps at a device workstation (using Mechanical Trap Parts). So you can craft a set of Improved Cursespewing Handwraps of Improved Destruction or whatever using cannith crafting, then turn them into a module.