PDA

View Full Version : Use ALT for Shield, as we do for Arti's Rune Arm

WeberCC
04-23-2012, 11:23 AM
I'd like to use the shield in the same way as an Artificer uses their Rune Arm.

Fx.: Push ALT button and the shield is held in front of the PC, with a small "charging" animation.
For as long the shield is "active", there could/would be the following pro/con's:

+ Shield stats are added and an extra attack (shield Bash) could occur by 10% with every attack.
+ If PC don't attack AND stand still, they could give their allies, within a small area, a bonus to their defences.
As if the allies, were hidding behind a wall, the "Tank" would be an easier target to the enemies.
Maybe this would only occur with large/tower shields?!
+ The feats Shield Mastery, Improved Shield Mastery and Improved Shield Bash would add their bonuses...
+ Would stack with Defensive Fighting or Combat Expertise and/or ???

- Movement speed is decreased by X% depending on shield type, Small=30%, Large=50% and Tower=70% when active and less, when not.
- Monsters would get a +X% to flanking, and to damage if successful.
- Ranged attacks could hit more, due to the slower movement.
- Maybe a decreased to-hit as focus is on defending?
- Maybe add a STRENGTH requirement, depending on shield size (due to their weight) or to the feats.
- Knockdown, etc would cancel the "stance" and it would take longer to reactive when in combat.
- ??

What is your opinion?

Maybe a mix with other ideas, like;
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=366418&highlight=shield
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=323695&highlight=shield

PS: Sorry, about the grammar/spelling if any errors, but english is not my 1st language.
WeberCC

madmaxhunter
04-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Your writing is better than many people with english being their FIRST language!

I like your idea. The ability to move about (slower but still moving) with a shield deployed is a great idea.

/signed.

Qzipoun
04-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Thought this was going to be a silly question on Key Mapping but I like it :p

/signed

It could be something as simple as a stance similar to 'Defensive Fighting' that gives similar bonuses to what you have listed

JOTMON
04-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Nice Idea.

Only thing I hate is ALT as the key..
when I switch targets with TAB and tap my ALT to fire off the charged up energy..
Sometimes I ALT TAB myself right out of the game...

madmaxhunter
04-23-2012, 01:51 PM
Nice Idea.

when I switch targets with tab and tap my ALT to fire off the charged up energy..

They could adjust the current shift key to work like OPs idea (with shield equipped of course).

Zyerz
04-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Moving with a shield sounds great! /signed

I wonder if dual weapons could work as well? I play a lot of dual weilding toons, so maybe we'd get a similar concept. Of course, we wouldnt get a penalty to movement, but we would get an extra penatly to AC and DR, while moving. But have the normal AC bonus while blocking and standing still.

Missing_Minds
04-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Nice Idea.

when I switch targets with TAB and tap my ALT to fire off the charged up energy..

I have ALT+` (tilda) as my rune arm trigger.

Ralmeth
04-23-2012, 09:06 PM
I've been primarily playing a S&B Paladin, and I don't really like this idea. I'm not sure that blocking with your shield is any different than blocking with your shield. It doesn't make a lot of sense. Also from a game play perspective, I don't want to have to hold down another button in addition to the shift key. Also, I don't like the idea of slowing your character down any longer. Only recently did the developers increase the run speed on being in Defensive stance to a reasonable speed. You would move really slow previously and because of that you would see me tumbling through a difficult quest as you tumble at normal speed, which was just silly. So, /not signed.

Instead, if the developers wanted to improve S&B combat like they did with the improved shield bash feat, they should add more offensive attacks you could make with your shield.

Zachski
04-24-2012, 04:16 AM
I've been primarily playing a S&B Paladin, and I don't really like this idea. I'm not sure that blocking with your shield is any different than blocking with your shield.

......What?

Also from a game play perspective, I don't want to have to hold down another button in addition to the shift key.

Uh, no, it's toggle. You press, and it triggers it. You press it again to untrigger it. It would replace the shift key.

Did you actually read the post?

Also, I don't like the idea of slowing your character down any longer.

30% run speed > 0% run speed, which is what you get right now when you shield block. You can't move while blocking right now.

Ungood
04-24-2012, 07:52 AM
I think the idea solution would be to have it so that Defensive Fighting (http://ddowiki.com/page/Defensive_Fighting) made it so you Auto-Blocked, or counted as blocking for DR purposes if you had a shield equipped, but still attacked with your primary hand weapon and moved normally.

This should also apply to Any defender Stance, which would trigger a natural auto-block feature, so you did not need to hold down buttons to get the full benefit of a shield, nor would you need to tumble anyplace. You move and attack as normal, just if you have a shield, you gain all the benefits of it while in a defensive stance.

psteen1
04-24-2012, 08:11 AM
I like this idea. I like any idea that makes s&b builds more viable.

Missing_Minds
04-24-2012, 08:28 AM
30% run speed > 0% run speed, which is what you get right now when you shield block. You can't move while blocking right now.

So long as you are not hamstrung, harried, etc. yes you can move. You tumble.
In addition Dodge + Mobility = your AC + 1 + 4.

WeberCC
04-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks for your replies!

The reason i choosed ALT and not SHIFT, was to make sure that the Artificer would not benefit more that other
classes. But i had forgotten, that the Rune Arm also uses the 2nd hand slot as the shield does.. my mistake.

WeberCC

dunklezhan
04-24-2012, 10:21 AM
It's not very DnD... but I do like this suggestion.

Oddly, I especially liked the Str requirement to use the shield in the first place. In my head, str-dumping feeble casters should not, in my opinion, be able to cart around a dirty great metal tower shield to whip out and hide behind "just like that".

Missing_Minds
04-24-2012, 10:24 AM
It's not very DnD... but I do like this suggestion.

Oddly, I especially liked the Str requirement to use the shield in the first place. In my head, str-dumping feeble casters should not, in my opinion, be able to cart around a dirty great metal tower shield to whip out and hide behind "just like that".

There is a reason why tower shields have a large ASF value.

Ralmeth
04-24-2012, 01:54 PM
......What?

Uh, no, it's toggle. You press, and it triggers it. You press it again to untrigger it. It would replace the shift key.

Did you actually read the post?

I read the post. I've been playing a S&B Paladin defender build of one sort or another for 6 years now. Moving while you have your shield equipped already gives you the benefit of the added AC bonus of your shield, greatly reduced grazing hit damage, as well as the damage reduction if you have the shield mastery feats. Which implies that you are using your shield to block incoming attacks. If you're blocking with your shield, then your blocking with your shield.

If this idea was enacted then as a Defender you would see people in shield block mode running through a good portion of a dungeon. I.e. we would go back to the days of when running around in defensive stance would make you go really slow and you would have to do a work-around like tumbling everywhere. Then everyone would come to the forums and moan and complain that they are gimped unless they are shield blocking but they are forced to move really slow. So that's why I don't agree with this idea. I think it was a great move by the developers to change the movement speed penalty to -10% for being in defensive stance and I think it should stay that way, not provide an incentive to move slower.

Instead, what I think would be really cool to improve S&B combat would be:
1) The game would register your shield block fast enough so that you could actively shield block when you see a monster make an attack animation. This way you could actually block when you see an enemy make an attack.
2) You could make other special attacks with your shield, such as knocking enemies over or pushing them when you shield bash them, etc.

EpiKagEMO
04-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Yes, this is something i've always wanted. kite with a shield :DD no but seriously, its a great idea. i hate being in turtle while being unable to reach other mobs with intimidate. DoS/Stalwart(-10% movement) actually mimicks this in a way however, it doesnt mimic the movement in turtle.

QuantumFX
04-25-2012, 12:55 AM
The only thing holding this idea back is that Turbine had to make a Rune Arm key. If it worked off the hotbar it would be so much more awesome. You could add in all the charge mechanics for moving that rune arms already have and have it modified by feats and enhancements*. The same could also be added to Power Attack.

*ex. Spring Attack allows you to maintain the “charge” while moving, Improved Power Attack/CE act like Overcharge, etc.