PDA

View Full Version : A PvP-esque idea, very rough, just a concept..

Silverhilt-2
04-16-2012, 05:04 AM
Hullo there 8)

Very few ideas/suggestions are concerning PvP, and let me start by saying that Im not a very big fan of PvP either.
Sure, Capturing a Flag was fun the first few times. The Brawling Pits I use mostly for gear/effect testing...

PvP is a small part of this game and its regular users/fans probably arent that many, however lets see if we cant come up with some ideas to add onto it. I mean, Harry Potter has whatisit? Quidditch? What should we have?

I once had a Nintendo GameBoy, and my brother had one too. And I remember we used to play a lot of Tetris against eachother, could become quite hectic at times :p Like if he scored a cool combo, more bricks would appear at top of my screen.. Making it more difficult for me. I wonder if such a thing could work in DDO, at least in theory.

12 Person Raid group, 2 x 6 Man teams. Red and Blue (we would also like Green, Yellow & Purple for teams in Titan raid 8))

Each team finds themselves in a private dungeon, so this is in essence PvE. But the better you do in your team, the harder it might get for the opposing. Like if Red group wails 4 ogres, they would spawn on Blue groups location and add to the situation they are facing. Could even be a nice way for rogues to set traps! If it is set off in your own instance it works there, on the mobs you are dealing with. But if left untouched, it is active and hostile towards the other team. Ofc you might not know how far ahead they are, so maybe pointless to set a trap. Or it could wreck havoc on other side if lucky :) Not sure what the overall objective should/could be, but feel free to add your own ideas. Ive read some people envisioning guild airship battles, so the sky is the limit hehe

I think PvP has the potential to become super fun, what can we think of?

Ilmer

Uska
04-16-2012, 05:42 AM
Sorry no dev time for pvp its takes away from the good stuff and I dont find you idea very intersting plus be hard to coordinate two teams to do what you wish at the sametime. I just dont see much interest in it myself of course I could be wrong

Silverhilt-2
04-16-2012, 05:53 AM
Not asking for any dev time, Uska.. And more meant as a question for forumites: What would it take for you to get interested? If all PvP ever will be is Brawl of CtF, then sure Im not very interested either.. but maybe there is more :)

Uska
04-16-2012, 06:04 AM
Not asking for any dev time, Uska.. And more meant as a question for forumites: What would it take for you to get interested? If all PvP ever will be is Brawl of CtF, then sure Im not very interested either.. but maybe there is more :)

Nothing will get me intereted in pvp in ddo or dnd its just not the game for it to many balance issues I dont mind pvp in games designed for it in fact I have quite enjoyed it in games built with it in mind.

In order to do what you suggest I think it would take a lot of dev time and there would be little interest but like I said thats just my opinion it doesnt hurt for you to ask and suggest for things who knows you might find a large crowd liking what you suggest.

MsEricka
04-16-2012, 01:49 PM
This was not posted in the PvP section of the forums.

PvP should be completely removed from the game and all people who have participated in PvP in the last year should be banned and have their accounts charged $100 and those funds distributed to everyone who ever posted a funny picture on the forums.

Seriously though, time spent on PvP in DDO is time wasted. There will never be a way to make it "fair" or worthwhile. There is no gain other than to attempt to grief others and make bad characters that barely work in the PvE environment while leveling.

While your idea sounds entertaining, I still gotta say no.

Not asking for any dev time, Uska

WHAT? How do you expect it to happen then? The code will just write itself? It''ll magically appear when you wave your +5 eternal wand of coding? Even if all you want right now is a discussion, it would STILL take dev time up by discussing it with them and having them take time out to think if this were possible and how it could be done.

Talias006
04-16-2012, 08:14 PM
What would it take for you to get interested?

Khyber convergence with Risia.

In non-Eberron terms: Hell to freeze over.

Silverhilt-2
04-17-2012, 07:42 AM
WHAT? How do you expect it to happen then? The code will just write itself? It''ll magically appear when you wave your +5 eternal wand of coding? Even if all you want right now is a discussion, it would STILL take dev time up by discussing it with them and having them take time out to think if this were possible and how it could be done.
How many Devs do you see posting replies and joining the discussion in this section? ;)

This wouldnt really be REAL PvP, as you would never even face the opposing team. This is a PvE dungeon where you have your own mobs to deal with + additional spawns comming your way, depending on the actions of your "opponents" in their private PvE dungeon.

DDO so far has done a great job incorporating elements found in many other type of games. I guess this would resemble a Real Time Strategy game more in a sense. Do you start by buffing the heck out of everyone? Do you send the rogue ahead to set up some traps? Do you rush the first mobs and make them spawn on the other team? Different decisions, different outcome.. Not just for your team but also for the other group you are competing against (if the objective was to get through a dungeon the fastest perhaps).

In the current PvE questing environment, if you see a player running ahead alerting the whole dungeon you will notice and have time to act accordingly. Not so much in the PvE(+P) thingie Im thinking about, because half of your "obstacles" are set of/triggered by opposing team. That could add some randomness. That could spice things up. That could be fun. At least how I think about it... I probably cant describe it as well as I would like, and still not certain about the overall objective. Just focussing on the point that teams interact, just not in a direct way.

Thanks for your feedback so far :) Good or bad, + or - towards PvP, PvE or otherwise, glad to hear from you!

Ilmer (who also isnt a fan of RTS games)