PDA

View Full Version : Fog of War - are our toons all 3 INT?

Komitulek
04-09-2012, 09:59 PM
One thing that comes up often in guild chat, and occasionally general, is the whole 'my toon somehow completely forgets the entire map of every zone periodically' issue.

Toons are not dumb, mine generally have at least 14 in one of INT or WIS, yet they somehow seem to frequently forget places they have been.

Please, when our toons have explored an area, keep that area explored.

At the very least, when a toon has finished all the Exploration landmarks of a wilderness zone, keep that wilderness zone greyed out the way it is when you leave and reform a group to re-enter a fully repopulated zone. Periodically having to re-explore an entirely blacked out area on the same toon is annoying at the very least, and nonsensical to boot. Maps can even be *gasp* stored locally like, oh, every other game from the first 3D MMO (EQ) through to present day.

Yes, I know, people could fiddle with the files and do all sorts of nasty, evil things, like copy the map to another toon's map folder...so what? We can also download and print them from 1000 websites. So save us a little paper and let us get from Meridia to Running With the Devils for the 76th time a little more easily.

Doomcrew
04-09-2012, 10:02 PM
While not all toons have an int score of 3, what about some of the players?

HatsuharuZ
04-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Yeah, this would be very nice to have.

/signed

crestoftheknave
04-09-2012, 11:34 PM
/signed a thousand times.... /signed

Dagolar
04-10-2012, 12:17 AM
One thing that comes up often in guild chat, and occasionally general, is the whole 'my toon somehow completely forgets the entire map of every zone periodically' issue.

Toons are not dumb, mine generally have at least 14 in one of INT or WIS, yet they somehow seem to frequently forget places they have been.

At the very least, when a toon has finished all the Exploration landmarks of a wilderness zone, keep that wilderness zone greyed out the way it is when you leave and reform a group to re-enter a fully repopulated zone. Periodically having to re-explore an entirely blacked out area on the same toon is annoying at the very least, and nonsensical to boot. Maps can even be *gasp* stored locally like, oh, every other game from the first 3D MMO (EQ) through to present day.

Yes, I know, people could fiddle with the files and do all sorts of nasty, evil things, like copy the map to another toon's map folder...so what? We can also download and print them from 1000 websites. So save us a little paper and let us get from Meridia to Running With the Devils for the 76th time a little more easily.

I can't argue these points, even if it doesn't overly bother me personally.

Ap0k
04-10-2012, 01:21 AM
In my opinion, the way how maps kinda suck in DDO - ranging from barely useable to absolutely unuseable, I think that it would be detrimental to have all maps uncovered, at least inside dungeons. Maybe for explorers.

Krago
04-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Aye, we all cheated in PnP when we busted out our graphing paper to map out the dungeons.
/sarcasm

I agree, that there should be some mechanic that opens up the maps visibility, even in dungeons. Wilderness you have to have all explorers, dungeons have to be completed on elite would be fine, just some mechanic.

DDO could even sell some item that unlocks a map per toon and make a buck.

macubrae
04-10-2012, 02:48 PM
If you can't remember how to get somewhere that you've been half a dozen times, isn't the fog of war accurate? Now if you've done all of the explorers and farmed all of the rares and killed your way through half of the slayer counts, no toon thereafter will need to use a map again.

The little map bubble shows you what direction your group is in, and points you towards the quest entrance. If you make a beeline to the quest and double recall when it's over, I can see how a person might get lost in the fog of war. But I fail to see what needs to be fixed. If you run to Meridia instead of taking the guildship, you might accidentally pick up 20k xp from slayers.

Some people need to spend less time leveling and more time playing. That's just my opinion.

Bowser_Koopa
04-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Hi I'm Bowser you might remember me from such stories as stop nerfing raid bosses and no there shouldn't be a shortcut to LoB.

And I'm here to add to this discussion. I disagree with this over all. While for convenience's sake it makes sense, it makes no sense in the game itself. In a more perfect DDO you could not repeat quests but in this one you can, so by resetting a quest you are telling the game I want to face this challenge again, which includes getting to the quests which is why there are mobs in the explorer area (if you haven't been in there in 5 minutes since the last one) Next the fog of war is trying to simulate a living environment, while it doesn't happen in the game it's possible since the last time you went to quest X things have changed, maybe new monsters are there maybe someone built something maybe it flooded who knows. While our current tech doesn't support this the tech in the expansion at least in terms of new monsters being there via random encounters will and turning off fog of war would detract from this new feature.

So in closing /not signed and I hope this is one battle I do win on the forums because convenience in this case doesn't outweigh the minor chore of remembering some land marks etc on your way to repeat quest X for the Nth time.

Bowserkoopa,

Next on ddo forums mobs ask for bonuses to fighting players due to repetition state they should of learned our weaknesses after hero X farmed Shroud 180 times this life.

LOOON375
04-10-2012, 04:42 PM
I do the explorers once per life. I only need to see where I have been during that one trip. After finding the explorers, the map is basically useless anyway, especially if you know where to go to get to a quest.

And, you have the wiki available to get a view of everything on that map.

Rumbaar
04-10-2012, 05:15 PM
And I'm here to add to this discussion. I disagree with this over all. While for convenience's sake it makes sense, it makes no sense in the game itself.Yes but you fail to remember that the game does remember, it just has a limited memory 3 or so wilderness/quest areas. So the limitations are Turbine induced.

Turbine cannot code this, period. That is the issue, also it's all expansions now. So actual bug fixes and player enhancements aren't a priority.

~Quilny
04-10-2012, 05:20 PM

If you cant rememebr your charticter cant remember :D