PDA

View Full Version : Radiant Bursts...let them be used regardless of target

axel15810
04-09-2012, 06:33 AM
I know this has been mentioned a lot on this board but can radiant bursts be changed so that you don't have to target yourself to use them?

It just doesn't make any sense to me and has been really annoying for me lately. No other AoE spells require this, so why radiant bursts? It really is a pain for a cleric to have to change his/her target selection so much during a fight. We already have to change it from players to monsters and back in order to both heal and cause damage. Bursts just further complicate this.

Right now on my melee cleric I find myself going through this process: select random trash monster to attack, select a player to heal, select myself to burst, select boss/red name to cast divine punishment....back and forth ect ect. That's up to 4 different groups I have to target in one fight. Cleric targeting is just crazy and could be improved so much if this was changed.

Uska
04-09-2012, 06:43 AM
yes yes a thousand times yes they have no range so they should always go off on you anyways.

Xynot2
04-09-2012, 06:56 AM
I know this has been mentioned a lot on this board but can radiant bursts be changed so that you don't have to target yourself to use them?
You dont need a target to burst- you just burst. The burst comes from within you so the effect is centered on you. Get better AC and DR and stand next to the melees. Add some HP to the build. Get a the gear that amps up your healing ability and gives you more SP. (GS item with +1, +2 and +3 cha skills with +50, 100 and 150 sp comes to mind ). Not understanding the ability on your part does not constitute an emergent need to change it on Turbine's part. There is a ton of options to improve your healing skills, SP and HP. Medicone(my healer-see sig below) tagged along as a suplimental healer for a long time until getting the gear spec'd. In the TR of him, I am working on increasing his HP. I'm going to TR him again (several times actually) to add in a couple of barbarian past lives. Might throw in a couple of FvS lives too. FYI- Medic's first life he had just under 400 HP, just over 2500 SP and was adept at healing Epics without using potions unless things started going south. (and doesnt have 2 of the items considered have to haves )

Consolidation? You are thinking too small. Think about TRs, search item web pages for great gear and get a toon creator to see how to suck everything out of a cleric build. Read the build forums and take an already made build and tweak it and make it better. (Medicone is on the forum. Find it)

Uska
04-09-2012, 06:58 AM
You dont need a target to burst- you just burst. The burst comes from within you so the effect is centered on you. Get better AC and DR and stand next to the melees. Add some HP to the build. Get a the gear that amps up your healing ability and gives you more SP. (GS item with +1, +2 and +3 cha skills with +50, 100 and 150 sp comes to mind ). Not understanding the ability on your part does not constitute an emergent need to change it on Turbine's part. There is a ton of options to improve your healing skills, SP and HP. Medicone(my healer-see sig below) tagged along as a suplimental healer for a long time until getting the gear spec'd. In the TR of him, I am working on increasing his HP. I'm going to TR him again (several times actually) to add in a couple of barbarian past lives. Might throw in a couple of FvS lives too. FYI- Medic's first life he had just under 400 HP, just over 2500 SP and was adept at healing Epics without using potions unless things started going south. (and doesnt have 2 of the items considered have to haves )

Consolidation? You are thinking too small. Think about TRs, search item web pages for great gear and get a toon creator to see how to suck everything out of a cleric build. Read the build forums and take an already made build and tweak it and make it better. (Medicone is on the forum. Find it)

the problem is if you do have someone targeted it wont work

Xynot2
04-09-2012, 07:00 AM
the problem is if you do have someone targeted it wont work
Its not that hard to rt click some where and lose the target.

Uska
04-09-2012, 07:02 AM

Its annoying and shouldnt be required I have no idea why you wouild be so resitant to this other than to well never mind.

axel15810
04-09-2012, 07:08 AM

What are you talking about? I'm not complaining about this gimping my toon. I'm complaining about it being annoying. This suggestion has nothing to do with someone's build, stats, gear, AC or anything you just mentioned. It is about improving gameplay and eliminating an annoyance. And of course the "bursts come from within you". Last time I checked all AoE spells arcanes/divines cast came from within them as well unless they're using a scroll/wand.

JOTMON
04-09-2012, 07:12 AM

Seems to me you are not reading the OP's point but spend a lot of text implying the OP doesnt know how to play and he should follow your shameless self promotion of your own build plan which has nothing to do with the Posters request.. either you were responding while drunk or too tired to be posting or a poor attempt at a troll.

OP was saying that the radiant burst requires you to target nothing or hard target yourself which is asinine. Burst should occur irregardless of the targetting system since it is centered upon the caster.

voodoogroves
04-09-2012, 07:27 AM

Sometimes it certainly is.

Xynot2
04-09-2012, 07:41 AM
Well then you gotta do the same for implosion. Or to single heal a target. Or every other spell. But I dont see the OP talking about other spells. The discussion is about a SINGLE spell. Had this been about targeting in general, then I would agree. But this was about Radiant burst. And there are plenty of other spells that have the same targeting issue. Seriously... It's not that hard to rt click and lose a target. I understand the issue. I sometimes forget to lose target before bursting. Especially when I haven't played the cleric in a while. But if you do it for bursting, then it should apply for every spell. Sorry but the mechanic of THIS spell is that it comes from within the cleric. It was never meant to be a spell you could target a buddy and make him the focus of the burst. And that WAS implied in the OP.

Edit: And my suggestions were not meant to deride the OP. I used to haunt USENET in alt.flame. If I mean to deride, there will be no question of it.

Avidus
04-09-2012, 07:51 AM
<snip>It was never meant to be a spell you could target a buddy and make him the focus of the burst. And that WAS implied in the OP.<snip>
I didn't get this implication from the OP at all.

What I took from the OP is that the radiant burst should work like other spells that are always centered / targeted on the caster, like Blade Barrier, Death Aura and Implosion for example. No matter what you have targeted blade barrier will ALWAYS cast and ALWAYS be centered on the caster, as should the raidant burst.

No one is asking for the burst to be cast all the way across the room onto those in the midst of combat while the cleric sits perched in safety.

The burst can only be used on yourself, so why do we need to 'untarget' anything.

Just cast it, directly centered on the caster, whenever it is cast regardless of target.

axel15810
04-09-2012, 07:53 AM

When in tough fights or boss fights it's a huge deal. Basically any fight where I'm using divine punishment, which requires I specifically target the boss.

For example, when fighting harrry in the shroud. I have to select harry initially to cast my first DP. Then I normally need to select myself to burst. Then I select harry to melee. Then I have to select myself to burst again. Then I have to select harry to melee. Then myself to burst. Then harry for my 2nd divine punishment. Then myself to burst again. On and on...you get the picture. It's a big deal.

I'm having to jump all over the place when I should be able to keep harry targeted the entire time and only push 2 hotkeys - my key for divine punishment and my key for radiant burst. That's the issue.

I think this is why a lot of clerics just abandon using radiant bursts at all later in the game.

axel15810
04-09-2012, 07:59 AM
I didn't get this implication from the OP at all.

What I took from the OP is that the radiant burst should work like other spells that are always centered / targeted on the caster, like Blade Barrier, Death Aura and Implosion for example.

Just for clarification, I wasn't suggesting changing anything about how the spell works at all. Just talking about having to have yourself or nothing selected to use it.

Avidus
04-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Just for clarification, I wasn't suggesting changing anything about how the spell works at all. Just talking about having to have yourself or nothing selected to use it.
Exactly what I thought you were trying to get across. I was simply trying to clarify your point because it seems as though Xynot2's objections are coming from him thinking that the actual targeting be changed, hence when he mentions 'target a buddy and make him the focus of the burst.'

Before we agree / disagree with other we first need to make sure we are talking about the same thing :)

Oh and for the record, I am in favor of fixing the targeting issue with radiant burst.

Just cast it, directly centered on the caster, whenever it is cast regardless of target.

Xynot2
04-09-2012, 08:30 AM
So... next you'll want bardsong to work no matter the target. Sorry. Im not against anything. You just arent thinking it through.

Yes balde barrier works that way. It's and attack AOE. Same for a lot of AoE attacks. But name a heal/help spell that does.

And what is so hard about clicking on your healthbar in the party? You do it to use restore and other help spells.

With all of the other broken fixes, you REALLY want the devs playing with the spell system?

voodoogroves
04-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Well then you gotta do the same for implosion. Or to single heal a target. Or every other spell.

Have you used it much, seriously?

Got boss targeted. Toss a DP. Click Mass Cure whatever or Mass Heal. It centers on you, works like a champ. Radiant Burst will fail if the boss is out of range of the burst.

... and unlike mass cures, it actually can't be used at range. Target the Abbot with a mass ... and it centers on him. Throw in a radiant burst and unless you're on his nose, it fails.

... target a melee in the mob for a mass cure/heal. Keep tossing them. If you're standing close, you can burst too. If not, your burst will fail. Yes, we all understand how its targeting works. We also understand that it can only be centered on you and if you have anyone else selected, it fails to go off when you need it to because of the way it's coded.

If it can only be centered on you, then it shouldn't matter who is targeted. Period.

Xynot2
04-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Yeah- I know how to heal. Yeah I agree that it would be nice to change it. And I still think you aren't thinking about the mechanics of the spell system. Nor the broken fixes we already have.

Instead of kneejerking, try thinking about it.

voodoogroves
04-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Bard Song.

Is your argument that since other things are similarly borked, instead of fixing this and those other things the OP should just keep quiet?

Really?

Avidus
04-09-2012, 08:39 AM
If it can only be centered on you, then it shouldn't matter who is targeted. Period.
^^ This.

If I have harry targeted and use any mass cure spell or mass heal it centers on me.

If I have anything at all targeted and cast divine favor, divine power, nightshield just to name a few, they always cast on me. As should the burst.

Self only spells should be centered / targeted on the caster everytime, the target should be irrelevant.

Xynot2
04-09-2012, 08:46 AM
I know how to heal- done epics. Yeah it would be nice. But you aren't looking at the overall mechanics nor the broken fixes we already have. And I did understand the OP. My suggestion was to enhance everything so that missing the burst would cause hysteria. Build a better character so a hiccup wouldn't be noticed.

axel15810
04-09-2012, 08:48 AM

Well said, that's what I was trying to get across. It isn't possible to cast burst directly on anyone else so if anyone else is selected it should be irrelevant.

Battlehawke
04-09-2012, 08:54 AM
I don't think its too much to ask Turbine to fix this. You shouldn't have to unselect someone or select yourself to make this work.

justagame
04-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Yeah- I know how to heal. Yeah I agree that it would be nice to change it. And I still think you aren't thinking about the mechanics of the spell system. Nor the broken fixes we already have.

You are missing the point by a country mile, yet keep digging your heels in.

It has nothing to do with changing the mechanics of the spell system For virtually every other spell where the only allowable target is 'self', when you cast them, they are centered on you, as they should be. Should you happen to have someone else targeted at the time, it's no biggie, the spell still gets centered on you.

When the radiant servant was released (or shortly thereafter, I forget), both the aura and burst were bugged. If you had someone else targeted (a VERY common thing for clerics), and you tried to activate an aura or burst, you got an error message about an invalid target. The point was there shouldn't have BEEN a target check, since the target ought to be on yourself automatically. It's a major PITA, there are many times you are in a heavy damage situation, you've just healed someone else, need to get a quick burst off, and OOPS -- need to change targets, or un-target someone, for an effect that shouldn't NEED one. The devs have since fixed the aura in this respect, but never fixed burst. Since they fixed one, it's hardly a disruptive change to the "mechanics of the spell system" to change the other.

There may be some, but at the moment I can't think of another self-target-only AOE spell that's bugged this way.

And yes, the fact that you don't seem aware of this, despite having a played a cleric, is baffling to say the least. The fact that you insist on derailing this thread to make it about something else is annoying, because it is obscuring the OP about a PITA bug that's existed for too long.

Xynot2
04-09-2012, 09:00 AM
Is your argument that since other things are similarly borked, instead of fixing this and those other things the OP should just keep quiet?

Really?
Broken? Are you sure it's broken? Or was it designed that way?

No one said OP should be quiet. This is a discussion. My opinion is that the OP is misunderstanding the spell mechanics. As is everyone else defending the idea. And for the record, I dont think it's a bad idea. I just think it isn't thought out. My opinion is that there are certain mechanics in the game to prevent abuses and to prevent breaking the mechanics of the game. You know as well as I do that if there is an exploit or abuse to be found, people will do it. First Cove was a prime example of that. I also would enjoy just being able to burst while targeting other things. But I have never run into a time in four years where I couldnt target myself or untarget altogether and get the burst off. Forgotten to untarget or target myself... oh yeah. TONS of times. It's not such a big issue that it needs to be *fixed*

Xynot2
04-09-2012, 09:02 AM
You are missing the point by a country mile, yet keep digging your heels in.

It has nothing to do with changing the mechanics of the spell system For virtually every other spell where the only allowable target is 'self', when you cast them, they are centered on you, as they should be. Should you happen to have someone else targeted at the time, it's no biggie, the spell still gets centered on you.

You are comparing attack spells to help/heal spells. And as I said b4- It's not a big enough *issue* to be *fixed. IMHO it isnt broken. Annoying? HELL yeah! But broken? I dont think so.

axel15810
04-09-2012, 09:04 AM
I know how to heal- done epics. Yeah it would be nice. But you aren't looking at the overall mechanics nor the broken fixes we already have. And I did understand the OP. My suggestion was to enhance everything so that missing the burst would cause hysteria. Build a better character so a hiccup wouldn't be noticed.

See, this is infuriating. You're implying that this burst problem is causing me "hysteria" and that I have a "hiccup" and am having problems healing. So you're basically calling me a bad player. You're being very rude. I easily overcome this issue every time I play, it's just annoying, not game changing. I'm simply pointing out an annoyance. I can't think of a good reason for anyone who has played a radiant servant to be against this. It's very annoying and since burst is a self spell it makes no sense to me or any of the other healers I have talked to. And I am allowed to give suggestions even if other more important fixes haven't been made yet.

If you have a good reason to be against this suggestion please logically explain why you are against it. I welcome it and would like to read it. If you don't have a logical reason please stop posting in this thread. Not fixing this issue because other fixes are more urgent or other things are broken is not a good reason because it has nothing to do with the issue itself.

Avidus
04-09-2012, 09:09 AM
I know how to heal- done epics. No one is saying that you don't or that you haven't 'done epics.'
Yeah it would be nice. EXACTLY
But you aren't looking at the overall mechanics nor the broken fixes we already have.By this rationale we should never ask for anything to be fixed because it might cause an issue somewhere else. All of the handwrap bugs, ToD set fixes, epic cleansing etc, none of this would have been fixed if people were so afraid of the fix as to ask for it / bug report it.
And I did understand the OP.This suggests other wise. This makes it seem like you thought he was asking for a burst centered on someone else.
<snip>It was never meant to be a spell you could target a buddy and make him the focus of the burst. And that WAS implied in the OP.<snip>
My suggestion was to enhance everything so that missing the burst would cause hysteria. Build a better character so a hiccup wouldn't be noticed.This suggestion is to make the burst irrelevant thus negating 1/2 of a two tier pre.

Since the Aura works this way it only makes sense that the burst should follow.

Thrudh
04-09-2012, 09:10 AM
IMHO it isnt broken. Annoying? HELL yeah! But broken? I dont think so.

It's a gameplay request to change something that is annoying.

Good to know you agree with the request.

As do I.

There's no need for a target check for radiant burst, since it always centers on the cleric.

justagame
04-09-2012, 09:12 AM
Why on earth would someone think this was WAI? And just how is it an expoit to not have this problem?

If you have someone else targeted, and cast prayer, it correctly centers on you, without having to change targets.
same for recitation
and holy aura
and blade barrier
and even the non-aoe's, divine favor, and divine power
and even RS aura works (it too was bugged at first, then was fixed)

Virtually every self-centered spell is automatically targeted on yourself (as they should be), without having to manually do it. Why on earth would someone think it was an exploit if burst also worked correctly in this regard?

justagame
04-09-2012, 09:16 AM
You are comparing attack spells to help/heal spells. And as I said b4- It's not a big enough *issue* to be *fixed. IMHO it isnt broken. Annoying? HELL yeah! But broken? I dont think so.

How is the radiant servant aura an attack spell?

How is the fact that the burst doesn't work like *EVERY* other self-centered AOE effect -- offensive, defensive, buffing, healing or otherwise -- "NOT BROKEN"???

voodoogroves
04-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Why on earth would someone think this was WAI? And just how is it an expoit to not have this problem?

If you have someone else targeted, and cast prayer, it correctly centers on you, without having to change targets.
same for recitation
and holy aura
and blade barrier
and even the non-aoe's, divine favor, and divine power
and even RS aura works (it too was bugged at first, then was fixed)

Virtually every self-centered spell is automatically targeted on yourself (as they should be), without having to manually do it. Why on earth would someone think it was an exploit if burst also worked correctly in this regard?
right

How is the radiant servant aura an attack spell?

right

Prayer is a great example, similar to the mass cure counter-example as well. The burst is a mass cure that can only be centered on you - like the other mass cures, it CAN hurt opponents.

butcheredspirit
04-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Yes balde barrier works that way. It's and attack AOE. Same for a lot of AoE attacks.

The radiant burst deals significantly more damage against undead, than it heals the living.
It could be argued that the radiant burst is an AoE attack, that incidentally heals.
One of the primary roles of a DND radiant servant is to destroy undead. This is still true in DDO.

But in the end, weather you consider this an attack or not, it still needs to be changed.

But name a heal/help spell that does.

Every healing spell will target the caster, if no target or a living enemy is selected.
As will every help spell, including the self only ones.
Nightshield, divine favor, radiant aura.... I could go on, all automatically hit you, if you have an enemy targeted.
Why is the burst the exception to the rule?

redraider
04-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Yes OP, yes. Radiant burst should work no matter what is targeted.

Xynot2 - please find another thread to annoy...

Ancient
04-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Speaking of kneejerking and not thinking...

Why do you assume it is the hiccups that are the reason behind this request? Every time a cleric manages to do the target dance correctly, they have to hit extra keys/clicks that serve no purpose (the target is not used by the burst). The success case is far more of a justification for this request than the fail case.

/signed

Chai
04-09-2012, 10:01 AM

Ok thought about it.

Radiant Burst does not follow the other AE effect spells as far as consistency of use is concerned. There are quite a few other spells that can be cast with no target or a mob targeted.

Matuse
04-09-2012, 10:49 AM
I can only conclude that Xynot is trolling. There's no way someone could be making the claims he is only through stupidity.

Between getting game mechanics exactly the opposite of how they actually work, specious claims of player ability that in no way relate to anything regarding this issue, and general obstinancy, it has to be completely deliberate.

Consequently, I threw him on ignore. Recommend everyone else does the same.

Also, Radiant Burst should go off regardless of target.

easyaction
04-09-2012, 11:27 AM
radiant burst is not a spell, its an ability. an ability linked to a clerics Turn Undead. and just like you can be targeting something and turn undead, you should be able to Burst without having to change your target. with other turn abilities clerics have (the sp one and the cure poison thing) there may be a question of who the target is. but with Burst there is no question, the only option is the cleric themselves. therefore there should be no problem removing the need to target oneself when using this ability.

any arguments involving offensive or defensive spells are rooted in fallacy as they are dealing with a completely different mechanic.

to the OP: /signed

Jsbeer
04-09-2012, 11:41 AM
I can only conclude that Xynot is trolling. There's no way someone could be making the claims he is only through stupidity.

I used to honestly believe this - then I finally discovered that such people do exist. So lets not be too quick to jump to conclusions.......

MarDeRoam
04-09-2012, 12:33 PM
/signed

Yes, it is very annoying and needs to be changed so it'll work like the aura: cast on self no matter what/who you have targeted.

karnokvolrath
04-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Yes OP, yes. Radiant burst should work no matter what is targeted.

Xynot2 - please find another thread to annoy...

This.

Meat-Head
04-09-2012, 12:56 PM
/signed to OP.

However, I'm wondering WHY the burst works like this. Perhaps it was the intention that T3 rad serv would burst on a target remotely? Just thinking out loud. I really don't know. Or, maybe it's just borked.

Anyway, /signed.

Phoenix-daBard
04-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Broken? Are you sure it's broken? Or was it designed that way?

Too lazy right now to search for it but last year a Dev did say it was broken and stated that targeting should not affect a burst from going off.

Kilnedric
04-09-2012, 01:47 PM
/signed.

Please make this work like the other self target aoe spells mentioned in this thread and not force a target change.

CanuckWisdom
04-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Unbelievable the confusion in this thread. The original poster is absolutely correct.

Healing aura, which function essentially the same as the Burst (centered on caster, point blank area of effect) does not require you to drop your target (whoever, wherever) for it to properly cast the aura (centered on yourself PBAOE).

Burst has a targeting issue where you cannot cast it if you've got something besides yourself or nothing targeted. its a technical gameplay issue, and has nothing to do with how the burst works.

I'm surprised that every single player that has used burst even once in this thread is not on board with this. I understand if your confused, but hopefully somewhere along the thread you can come to understand what the issue/suggestion is here and not get into an argument over something irrelevant to the issue.

davidolson22
04-09-2012, 03:22 PM
/signed

(and wondering if troll appeared just to make sure this thread would stay near top of forums...I which case, thanks troll!)

morticianjohn
04-09-2012, 03:34 PM
This thread has more posts than the last time this came up thanks to said troll so maybe he's actually helping our cause. I sign this every time the suggestion comes up (or nearly every time) once again

/sign

Orratti
04-09-2012, 03:58 PM
True they should work just like casting blade barrier and auto work. What I did was to key map my mouse wheel button to self target. I still forget to use it sometimes but the recovery is quick.

Autolycus
04-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Burst targeting is definitely broken. I've posted about this several times as it annoys me no end. Here's (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3140572&postcount=57) a post from Eladrin on 7/22/2010 confirming it's bugged. Note that he states he has it fixed in his local build. Unfortunately, for some reason the fix has never made it to the Live servers.

Devs, please fix this!

axel15810
04-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Exactly...I've seen this issue posted several times but for some reason it has never been fixed. Devs please read this and fix it this time! I don't know much about coding but I wouldn't think it would be that hard to fix. Can we please get this resolved?

Yskuma
04-10-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm pretty sure that Negative Energy Burst does exactly the same thing, you have to deselect your current target before casting it otherwise you get a "Target out of Range" message.

Very annoying and it would be great if it could be fixed. Targeting shouldn't matter on Spells/Abilities like this.

rdasca
04-10-2012, 01:00 PM
It seems some people have a problem with reading comprehension, either that or they have a seldom used account that they decided to use either for Trolling, or for reverse psychology; because, frankly if Xynot2 believes what he has typed, then I really have nothing to say.

and OP /signed

Hikup
04-10-2012, 01:15 PM
After reading his profile I can only conclude that xynot has held in far too many farts.
To the op, /signed

from his player profile
"Dont hold your farts in. They travel up your spine to your brain and that's where crappy ideas come from."

LazyTigerLily
04-10-2012, 01:54 PM
The solution to this is actually quite simple. If you have something/someone targeted hit escape (you know, that oft forgotten key on the upper left hand corner of your keyboard). it automatically deselects whatever was in your focus orb and you can then burst freely since no target is automatically centered on you.

I honestly don't want to have the ability to focus my bursts on someone else because that would change how I play. I expect that a burst will cover me and whomever is nearby so I can heal two groups at once.

Avidus
04-10-2012, 02:10 PM
<snip>I honestly don't want to have the ability to focus my bursts on someone else because that would change how I play. I expect that a burst will cover me and whomever is nearby so I can heal two groups at once.
Once again, this is not what is being asked for. No one is asking for the burst to do anything functionally different.

What we are advocating is that, regardless of what we have targeted the burst functions and is centered on the caster instead of, for example, having <insert enemy mob name here> targeted and being told invalid target and the burst never goes off.

The entire point of the OP's suggestion is that we shouldn't have to 'hit escape', or 'click on empty space' in order to fire off an ability that can only be centered on the caster in the first place.

Eladrin has already confirmed that we are advocating is actually the way it is supposed to work:

Thank you for the response! Can you give any word about the targetting bug where you have to have yourself, self selected to cast the burst and I believe just something targeted to cast the aura? Can you convert these to self cast spells that work regardless of targeting?

We'll be making sure that you can use both abilities regardless of targeting. They're PBAOE effects, it shouldn't matter what you have selected. On my local build I've got it working this way.

I should note that my earlier test was done on my local Update 7 build rather than a U5 build, so my tests may not reflect what's currently on live. I'll do some tests there as well.

Matuse
04-10-2012, 02:16 PM
I honestly don't want to have the ability to focus my bursts on someone else because that would change how I play. I expect that a burst will cover me and whomever is nearby so I can heal two groups at once.

Congratulations on your uncanny ability to go through a 3 page thread and not understand any of it.

Ahnya_DLucien
04-10-2012, 02:21 PM
re: the OP = yes, please do change it so that it goes off regardless of target

re: the earlier suggestion that implosion works the same. implosion targeting and radiant burst targeting are not, in fact, the same at all.

Postumus
04-10-2012, 02:31 PM
re: the OP = yes, please do change it so that it goes off regardless of target

agree 100%

taurean430
04-10-2012, 02:31 PM
/signed

Please have a look into this devs.

We all realize that the everyone is busy working on new projects or other bug fixes. Yet this appears to be partially behind Cleric attrition as of late. For example, running my Sorcerer over this weekend I've listened to numerous complaints about this very issue.

When I run my own Cleric this is something that, at the very least, annoys me.

furbyoats
04-10-2012, 06:30 PM

Wow...just..........wow

BigSlugger
04-10-2012, 07:14 PM
@OP
/signed

@Xynot2
/facepalm

~Quilny
04-10-2012, 09:59 PM
/signed

Rumbaar
04-10-2012, 10:05 PM
LOL @ Xynot2 you're the type of person that wanted rage as a single target spell right?!

As for OP signed, it's a pain for having to F1 and burst in the middle of combat.

uhgungawa
04-10-2012, 10:43 PM
@OP
/signed

@Xynot2
/facepalm

/seconded

Gorbadoc
04-10-2012, 11:14 PM

It's also not that hard to stick out your tongue every time you cast a spell. Nevertheless, that would be a pointless extra step, and it would add nothing to the quality of the game.

Complexity in the game should come from what your character can do versus what the monsters can do. The controls for making that happen should be as straightforward as possible.

Edit: I've seen your other posts in this thread. I apologize; we are coming at this from different perspectives. I will rephrase:
For my money, Turbine, fix annoyances with the controls. You added extra hotbars (albeit not soon enough). You made it so we could attach metamagic settings to individual hotkeys. This is no different: We CAN deal with this ********, but I like to think some of the money I'm giving you is so that I don't have to.

Talias006
04-11-2012, 03:42 AM
/signed...

I might be a little too tired at this point, but believe even though it's a separate system that Mass Protection from Evil or just Magic Circle (Defender Paladin ability) also behaves the same way as Radiant Burst.
Being you need either no target or yourself as a hard-target for it to work.
Will test this tomorrow when I have a bit more energy/rest. ;)

Infant
04-11-2012, 05:03 AM
/signed

Spoprockel
04-11-2012, 05:34 AM
/signed

JOTMON
04-13-2012, 08:50 AM
We'll be making sure that you can use both abilities regardless of targeting. They're PBAOE effects, it shouldn't matter what you have selected. On my local build I've got it working this way.

I should note that my earlier test was done on my local Update 7 build rather than a U5 build, so my tests may not reflect what's currently on live. I'll do some tests there as well.

Eladrin!!! What happened, you posted this back in July 2011 and it is still not working correctly.

LucidLTS
04-13-2012, 11:45 AM
/signed

This is very annoying, targeting is already bad, why exacerbate the problem. Let the burst go off (centered on caster, of course) regardless of targeting or lack thereof.

Galeria
04-13-2012, 12:37 PM
/signed

danotmano1998
04-13-2012, 12:47 PM

Been asked for already, and yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!

/Signed.
/Again.

/And a few more for the next couple of threads that request this.

/Re-signed.
/Seconded.
/Motion Carried.

TheHolyDarkness
04-13-2012, 01:15 PM
/signed

@Xynot2
/laugh

Miow
04-13-2012, 01:54 PM
I approve sign me up.

axel15810
04-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Eladrin!!! What happened, you posted this back in July 2011 and it is still not working correctly.

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3140572&postcount=57

The fix was actually promised July 2010 I believe :(

Can't believe they still haven't fixed it...I don't see how it could be that hard coding wise to make it work like other spells

ainmosni
04-15-2012, 06:46 AM
lol

this guy wins the thread.

ainmosni
04-15-2012, 06:47 AM
also, /signed. this is one of those 'little things' that could be fixed to make ddo soooo much more awesome.

Nailog
04-15-2012, 12:04 PM
/signed

Clerics around the world are waiting.

azrael4h
04-15-2012, 02:55 PM
/signed

Clerics around the world are waiting.

Don't worry, it'll be in at the same time as Domains. :D

/signed of course, even if I no longer have a Cleric and probably won't make one until the enhancement pass, if then. I'm probably done with divines until Druid lands.

Noopleh
04-17-2012, 07:22 AM
Some people haven't read the Original Post it seems.

He isn't asking for the burst to be a ranged burst (ala fireball) spell. He is asking Turbine to remove the fact that you need yourself to be targetted or have no targets at all for using the burst. All the people saying BS like won't kill you to right click somewhere or press esc: go play a cleric in eChrono and eVoN and LoB ect. having a main tank unselected for a precious few seconds to burst heal your team mate and yourself could cause a wipe.
No we are not lazy for right clicking somewhere or pressing esc, we just need to be focused on the red bars and have the tank selected at all times.

And yes, /signed.

easyaction
04-17-2012, 06:39 PM
frankly i think its sound advice that could work in any situation. "Get better AC and DR and stand next to the melees. Add some HP to the build."

Want the burst to work without targeting? Get better AC and DR and stand next to the melees. Add some HP to the build.
No quest completion? Get better AC and DR and stand next to the melees. Add some HP to the build.
What? your client is bugging out? Get better AC and DR and stand next to the melees. Add some HP to the build.
Wife is leaving you? Get better AC and DR and stand next to the melees. Add some HP to the build.
terminal illness? Get better AC and DR and stand next to the melees. Add some HP to the build.

obviously he brings us sage advice to spread throughout the forum, bringing knowledge to the ignorant and sight to the blind. (what? your blind? Get better AC and DR and stand next to the melees. Add some HP to the build.)

crisisphat
04-18-2012, 06:43 AM
/signed

And while they're at it, make negative energy burst work while targeting too.

daniel7
04-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Yes please

Sidewaysgts86
04-22-2012, 02:07 AM
/signed /signed and /signed.

axel15810
05-02-2012, 05:18 PM
bump...because I really want devs to see this