PDA

View Full Version : Optional XP

karatemack
04-05-2012, 10:51 AM
It would be nice if the optional xp would scale with the base xp when completing quests. Not to be greedy (even though I am being greedy) but I thought it was not worth my time to complete an optional to receive 70 xp (for finding Jung's badge) while receiving 3300 xp for completing the quest. There are many quests where the optionals are frequently skipped because they aren't worth it (no loot/xp reward). Yes I understand that we can simply skip playing those parts but if the optional xp scaled for BB like the base xp then much more content currently filling up storage space would actually get dusted off and played. For instance, when playing through Deleras I ALWAYS slay all of the omaren guardians. (ALWAYS)

Nephilia
04-06-2012, 05:32 AM
And we could have a 25% more exp on quest total as a "Completing all Opt bonus". Since completing opt = time spent, it should be a bonus worth the fatigue

Bacab
04-06-2012, 05:46 AM
For most quest...it actually does scale.

It just does not scale with BB and stuff like that.

Jung's badge for example is worth +5% of the BASE XP.

http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Kobold%27s_New_Ringleader

Mandragonfire
04-06-2012, 06:41 AM
I think it would be a good idea for each individual kill to give an amount of xp...just makes sense
killer would get a small amount extra for making the kill others in the party get a slightly less amount

maybe even some xp for good assists too but idk how hard that is to incorporate...

just my thoughts..

Syllph
04-06-2012, 07:17 AM
I think it would be a good idea for each individual kill to give an amount of xp...just makes sense
killer would get a small amount extra for making the kill others in the party get a slightly less amount

maybe even some xp for good assists too but idk how hard that is to incorporate...

just my thoughts..

While this seems a good idea, in practice certain classes would hog XP. On my caster I go into a room and clear it in one spell. Bang all the XP goes to me. The barb who missed my haste and cleric falling back to not get aggro and the rogue doing the trap for bonus XP for the whole group would be kind of upset with my selfishness.

Silverwren
04-06-2012, 08:10 AM

just my thoughts..

No. This is unfair. What if, as a fighter, I'm wailing away at a bad guy and almost have him killed, and the ranger, who had been plugging a different bad guy, kills said bad guy and turns to my bad guy and kills him with one or two arrows. The ranger gets the kill and the extra XP and me, who did most of the work, gets no extra XP. Caster types, who routinely get more kills than anyone, would benefit the most from this, leaving everyone else out.

Besides, there already is a bonus to XP. I think it's called the Aggression bonus, I might have that wrong though. It's the bonus all members get for killing a certain amount in a quest.

Mandragonfire
04-06-2012, 09:07 AM
ok forget the person that gets the kill gets more xp than the person who didnt

still shouldnt each individual kill give xp?

Teharahma
04-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Wheee, brainless.

danotmano1998
04-06-2012, 09:48 AM
ok forget the person that gets the kill gets more xp than the person who didnt

No thank you.

That would make this another of the same old, same old MMO's.

Kill 10 goblins, leave area, re-enter area, repeat farm ad-nauseum.
I love the fact that you DON'T get xp per kill, making this game vastly different than the average MMO.

Getting XP for completing objectives and giving people options on how to achieve them is superior mechanics, IMO.

Matuse
04-06-2012, 10:32 AM

No, they shouldn't.

Xenostrata
04-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Optional xp does need to get boosted in most quests (shadow crypt being one of the obvious exceptions). I don't remember the exact numbers, but when I first completed Mired in Kobolds I was incredibly dissappointed by the bonus xp for killing the mama dragon.

Giving an additional bonus for completing all optionals would be nice, except in some quests where optionals are mutually exclusive (Diplo or Intim the wildmen in Diplomatic Immunity, for instance). I think just scaling up optional xp on a case-by-case basis would be better, since a uniform change would definitely leave some lacking and some way overkill.

karatemack
04-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Giving an additional bonus for completing all optionals would be nice, except in some quests where optionals are mutually exclusive (Diplo or Intim the wildmen in Diplomatic Immunity, for instance). I think just scaling up optional xp on a case-by-case basis would be better, since a uniform change would definitely leave some lacking and some way overkill.

While giving an additional % bonus to xp for completing optionals would help, the xp you receive for completing them would then become redundant. Someone mentioned optional xp is based off of base xp but is there an exact formula for it? In my experience optional xp has seemed random.

HungarianRhapsody
04-06-2012, 09:54 PM
The way that I understand the OP is that he thinks that bonuses to quest completion XP should also be given to optionals. For instance, if you have an XP tome and you're in a 20% XP bonus weekend, then you would get an extra 70% extra optional XP when you complete an optional instead of just getting the flat optional XP.

I'm inclined to agree with that because optional XP is becoming less and less significant as more bonuses are added to the completion of a quest. Once upon a time, when you could reasonably count on getting maybe a 175% of a quest's base XP for a good completion with no flaws, an optional that gave 30% of the base XP would be very attractive. Today, when you get more than 300% of a quest's base XP for completion, that optional for 30% of the base XP is just a nuisance that gets in the way of the all-holy XP/minute.

Templarion
04-07-2012, 04:28 AM
I agree with OP. There are far too many optional quests I've done only once or twice because they lack a satisfying reward. Meaning, for example: decent amount of XP, useful loot even in some conditions, permanent bonus, favor. Once a quest has a satisfying reward, the players like to do them more often.

Now, sometimes I run those optionals just for fun. However, usually I am in a group with other TRs and most of the time people just think about "reward : minute"-ratio.

Bravery Bonus was, in my opinion, the greatest upgrade this far because it turned a large number of useless quests into "run once, to get the bravery experience"-type. More variation, the better. Now it is time to upgrade the optional quest rewards so exploring all the adventures in depth becomes fun and rewarding.

uthanak69
04-07-2012, 06:13 AM

just my thoughts..

Then go play that "other game".