PDA

View Full Version : Illogical magic fungus bubbles

Zinruko
04-04-2012, 05:27 PM
I was adventuring in the Tomb of the Shadow Guard when I noticed a most peculiar fault in the games design. It appears that by ingesting soggy patches of moss I gain the ability to breathe underwater through the use of a bubble like sphere upon my head. Aside from this mechanic encouraging the consumption of soggy water moss, I believe this newfound ability of mine is unlogical in nature, as after a short period of time the supply of oxygen in the bubble of air would surely be extinguished and I would then quickly drown anyways, despite this newfound magical sphere bestowed upon my head by ingesting water inhabiting mushrooms. I believe this is an issue of the utmost importance, and should be investigated thoroughly to the fullest extent of Turbine's abilities. Thank you for your time, Zinraku the Barbarian.

Feather_of_Sun
04-04-2012, 05:32 PM
No.

Vargouille
04-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Yes.

Vesuvium
04-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Indubitably.

Mathermune
04-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Finally we get some official recognition of the big issues. I'm surprised it wasn't looked into earlier.

Aliss7
04-04-2012, 05:36 PM
unlogical

auntjobiska
04-04-2012, 05:37 PM
I believe that the sphere around your head actually extracts oxygen from the surrounding water thereby allowing you to continue to breathe effortlessly. Without drowning.

AJ

sebastianosmith
04-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Magic - It fixes everything.

Dagolar
04-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Huh. I just assumed they were really good dungeon shrooms and you were having a near-death experience.

But then, I tend to blank out my memories of Shadow Guard..

Tyrande
04-04-2012, 06:11 PM
I was adventuring in the Tomb of the Shadow Guard when I noticed [...]. Aside from this mechanic encouraging the consumption of soggy water moss, I believe this newfound ability of mine is unlogical in nature,[...]Zinraku the Barbarian.

By the Sovereign!? What has Eberron come to? Barbarians have logic when raged?
I thought they are suppose to find traps with their face and not logic, no?

Seriously though, my characters personally would only use those underwater floras to guide her to the destination and assuring that she is on the correct path. She would normally use magic or magic items for the underwater navigation.

How do Aquatic Plants Photosynthesize?

Speaking about photosynthesis in aquatic plants, water is available in more than sufficient amounts. The major challenge is to obtain carbon dioxide and light. For the same, majority of these plants show adaptations in some way or the other. Say for example, water mushrooms bear floating leaves with waxy surface, which have extra long petioles. The leaves on the surface of water gather light and carbon dioxide for photosynthesis, while the waxy cuticle prevents excess water absorption from the surrounding environment. It also helps in cleaning process and preventing entry of microbes.

Water mushrooms is just one instance, and many water plants have the same feature, i.e. sending their roots at the bottom of the water body for support and leaves protruding at the surface of water. So, absorption of carbon dioxide and light is not an issue for aquatic plants having floating leaves. But, what about the remaining plants that bear submerged leaves? In this aspect, carbon dioxide is obtained from water, which is released during respiration by fish (where there are plenty in Shadow Guard water space). Also, decomposition of organic matter from the dead bodies that takes place in the water ecosystem contributes to carbon dioxide production.

Even though the rate of carbon dioxide dissolution in water is exceptionally low, traces of dissolved carbon dioxide are available to the submerged aquatic plants. As for light requirement, magical light from cracks through ceilings and arcane skeletons pass through water is harvested by plants for photosynthesis process. This is specially true for plants that thrive in shallow waters. And for the plant species found in deeper waters, they are adapted to grow under low light conditions like "The Deep". Of course, the rate of photosynthesis is very slow for these plants, and they rely on the dim radiation for manufacturing their own food.

This way, aquatic plants undergo photosynthesis under water. The products of photosynthesis in aquatic plants, basically carbohydrate and oxygen, are used by adventurers and other organisms traveling to the area.

jillie
04-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Indubitably.

Admit it. You just wanted to show off your spelling ability.

Zenthalas
04-04-2012, 06:19 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/28ceou1.jpg

Talias006
04-04-2012, 06:25 PM
I was adventuring in the Tomb of the Shadow Guard... is unlogical... Zinraku the Barbarian.

I was perplexed by the whole spiel of this thread, up until I saw the ending.
Figuring it was to be from a Barbarian's Point Of View, the entire notion that a Barbarian could even spell logical let alone the is highly unlikely.
I almost wanted to fault this post for trying to impose some superficial likeness of reality upon this campaign setting.

Now it all makes sense.

The question that needs to be answered more than this conundrum of moss begotten aquatic breathing apparatus is thus:
Why so serious? :D

fco-karatekid
04-04-2012, 06:29 PM
I consulted with Dr Bishop who states it's quite logical.

Whilst the fungi DO bestow a small amount of oxygen; more importantly, they slightly alter your brain chemistry so as to have the effect of making you perceive a slowdown in the passage of time. in fact, the mushrooms bestow that modicum of oxygen to aid in the uptake to the brain. i couldn't get more from him,unfortunately; as it seems he had a pressing matter involving pudding to attend to.

Ziindarax
04-04-2012, 06:29 PM
By the Sovereign!? What has Eberron come to? Barbarians have logic when raged?
I thought they are suppose to find traps with their face and not logic, no?

Seriously though, my characters personally would only use those underwater floras to guide her to the destination and assuring that she is on the correct path. She would normally use magic or magic items for the underwater navigation.

How do Aquatic Plants Photosynthesize?

Speaking about photosynthesis in aquatic plants, water is available in more than sufficient amounts. The major challenge is to obtain carbon dioxide and light. For the same, majority of these plants show adaptations in some way or the other. Say for example, water mushrooms bear floating leaves with waxy surface, which have extra long petioles. The leaves on the surface of water gather light and carbon dioxide for photosynthesis, while the waxy cuticle prevents excess water absorption from the surrounding environment. It also helps in cleaning process and preventing entry of microbes.

Water mushrooms is just one instance, and many water plants have the same feature, i.e. sending their roots at the bottom of the water body for support and leaves protruding at the surface of water. So, absorption of carbon dioxide and light is not an issue for aquatic plants having floating leaves. But, what about the remaining plants that bear submerged leaves? In this aspect, carbon dioxide is obtained from water, which is released during respiration by fish (where there are plenty in Shadow Guard water space). Also, decomposition of organic matter from the dead bodies that takes place in the water ecosystem contributes to carbon dioxide production.

Even though the rate of carbon dioxide dissolution in water is exceptionally low, traces of dissolved carbon dioxide are available to the submerged aquatic plants. As for light requirement, magical light from cracks through ceilings and arcane skeletons pass through water is harvested by plants for photosynthesis process. This is specially true for plants that thrive in shallow waters. And for the plant species found in deeper waters, they are adapted to grow under low light conditions like "The Deep". Of course, the rate of photosynthesis is very slow for these plants, and they rely on the dim radiation for manufacturing their own food.

This way, aquatic plants undergo photosynthesis under water. The products of photosynthesis in aquatic plants, basically carbohydrate and oxygen, are used by adventurers and other organisms traveling to the area.

There are other means of synthesis as well. Consider Chemosynthesis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemosynthesis) for example. As the fish release their bodily wastes, their decaying waste matter generates methane, which the near-by fungi could then extract and use as an alternative to light. Admittedly, this would not generate any oxygen (unless underwater breathing lets you breathe ANY gas).

Thermo-synthesis is another possibility (though unlikely in this case).

Tyrande
04-04-2012, 06:38 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/28ceou1.jpg

The Origin of Oxygen plants

I do not know if these Oxygen generated mushrooms are planar plants from other planes; but they are plentiful on Eberron. From the pictures from the Menace of the Underdark (Massively Online) of Forgotten Realms, looks like they are a plenty there as well.

Perhaps, these plants are a mad druid experiment from another plane like Forgotten Realms or a tease by the Traveler or perhaps <???>

Just thank the Sovereign that these plants are not carnivorous or epically poisonous.

Coldin
04-04-2012, 06:39 PM
The real question...why would you put yourself through the torture of running any of the Shadow Tomb quests? :P

smatt
04-04-2012, 07:40 PM
I highly recomend the ingestion of all mushrooms of a magical nature... Wait.... No I don't, forget I said that...

Carry on :D

donblas
04-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Can we stop using the words "plants" and "flora" for fungi please? Fungi are more closely related to people than to the greenery, just like trout are more closely related to people than to sharks.

A better appreciation of cladistics would be appreciated! :)

Gratch
04-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Shrooms aside.

When did the Dev's escape MajMal's dev-cornered-in-roundup of Menace Design???

Boys, looks like we've had an escape from the pen. Let's go round 'em up an get em some more pizza to keep 'em design'in n' fixin' n' notleavin'. Let's hope they didn't figure out that pizza box walls are bustdownable.

Quetzacoala
04-04-2012, 08:26 PM
I believe that the sphere around your head actually extracts oxygen from the surrounding water thereby allowing you to continue to breathe effortlessly. Without drowning.

AJ

Do not even bother being logical in this universe... as it turns out, Mr. Spock has a monopoly on that.

patang01
04-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Well, sucking on shrooms might be strange to you, but I find the whole idea of permanent featherfalling and underwater breathing really freaky.

Not so much fire shooting out of my fingertips.

quijenoth
04-05-2012, 02:49 AM
The real question...why would you put yourself through the torture of running any of the Shadow Tomb quests? :P

Oh I dunno ...

Best XP per minute at level 8 quests (3.2 to 4.6k base xp each)
Walk in the park quests with Firewaller, Radiant Servant, and skilled rogue (shadow knight)
Lead on to best xp per minute level 9 quest (Shadow Crypt 10k base xp)
Granted first life Silver Flame Pendent (min level 9 deathblock)
Silver flame favor to gain Silver Flame Healing Potions

I'm sure there are more reasons but these are my top 5 for running Necro II.

Emizand
04-05-2012, 05:23 AM
Magic - It fixes everything.

Wish it would take a vacation to my house!

Alrik_Fassbauer
04-05-2012, 05:44 AM
I don't quite get it, because "Fathom The Depths" has it, too !?!?

I mean - nobody has ever been complaining about it yet ...

(Do in this moss live tiny little creatures emanating the spell "Water Breathing" any time they are rubbed within the moss ?)

rebelxzar
04-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Your a barbarian. Breathing is optional, as you have few brain cells to endanger. Stop thinking, it will make those few remaining cells hurt.

fool101
04-05-2012, 11:04 AM

Finally some real knowledge in the forums.

In addition, subsurface plants tend to have no cuticle. This allows water soluble substances to pass freely through the plant, whereas the waxy layer that normally exists on plants would prevent the absorption of many nutrients as their roots tend to play an insignificant role in uptake of anything (due to lack of pressure gradient from transpiration). This also hinders the effects of many control efforts for invasive aquatic species.

sebastianosmith
04-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Wish it would take a vacation to my house!

Magic - Doesn't work on vacation. ;)

MorningStarSE
04-05-2012, 12:39 PM
@ the thread, surely the most funny firsts replies I`ve seen so far on many forums, kudos to Yellow name, you made my day..

Necro 2, 3 and 4 are in my list of favourite quests :(

Magic - Doesn't work on vacation. ;)

:( I heard if I closed my eye and believe I`d be on vacation it would work..

SwampYankee
04-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Finally some real knowledge in the forums.

In addition, subsurface plants tend to have no cuticle. This allows water soluble substances to pass freely through the plant, whereas the waxy layer that normally exists on plants would prevent the absorption of many nutrients as their roots tend to play an insignificant role in uptake of anything (due to lack of pressure gradient from transpiration). This also hinders the effects of many control efforts for invasive aquatic species.

He said transpiration, lol.

sebastianosmith
04-05-2012, 06:47 PM
:( I heard if I closed my eye and believe I`d be on vacation it would work..

Sorry, but no. Your psycho-physical incantation won't result in Magic. However, you may consider a stress-induced cerebral hemorrhage magical which would possibly provide the illusion of a thaumaturgical experience.

Talias006
04-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Sorry, but no. Your psycho-physical incantation won't result in Magic. However, you may consider a stress-induced cerebral hemorrhage magical which would possibly provide the illusion of a thaumaturgical experience.

I'm wondering if what I'm thinking in plainer terms and what you are saying might be close enough to not split hairs.

And what I'm thinking is that if they instead of hold their eyes closed, but hold their breath until they start losing brain cells from oxygen deprivation, they can at least say their mind has gone on vacation. :rolleyes: ;)

Blank_Zero
04-06-2012, 01:19 AM
No.

Yes.

Fight! :D

GrampaBill
04-06-2012, 10:52 AM
I am highly offended that a developer has not responded with a Soon to the OP's most important issue. I'm considering leaving DDO and playing Minefield until the Dev's give this most important issue the focus it deserves.