PDA

View Full Version : A change to make collectibles more relevant

Mathermune
04-04-2012, 02:56 PM
My suggestion is to add one more collector and to tweak the collectibles interface to use the barter system that we currently have for Cannith challenges and use that to select the rewards rather than getting something random.

In the levels and lives when characters are more likely to use this system (i.e. low and first) I think it would be a good way for new players to get a few of the essentials they might struggle with right off the bat. Have a Korthos Island Memorabilia Collector (or a real name, whatever). My TR's can slap down the currency for 50 starter cure light wounds pots and drink 4 of them through all of Korthos. But first time around I couldn't.

3x Sahuagin Scales - Choice of a cure minor wounds (d4+2) or warforged equivalent
2x Cultist Symbols - Potion of protection from evil or potion of bless
1x Jacoby Drexelhand Fanboi t-shirt - I've run out of ideas already

So, later on, our new players gather up their harbor collectibles and make their way to goldscuttle to ship off >9000 strings of prayer beads instead of receiving masterwork bolts (thanks guy) give them the option to either trade them for a small amount of platinum, five for arguments sake, or choose something vaguely related and potentially useful that might not be known to new players.

I'm not suggesting making the collectible rewards better, rather, eliminating the extra step for monetary gains on the reward items you don't want (masterwork armour) and making the things players do want less of a random chance.

It's really of no concern to anyone on second lives or past level 4, but I still think for new players it would be a good idea.

Jay203
04-04-2012, 03:07 PM
no thx, don't need more collectibles to clog up our bags for minor stuff that won't help

beginners just need to learn to break stuff to collect drops from them
also they need to learn how to play smart and not waste resources

but barter system for collectibles would help
nothing like wasting half an hr talking to the collector turning in collectibles =_=;;;

Mathermune
04-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Stuff that won't help you perhaps. Think of the new players! The pro's can quite easily not pick up anything.

You make far better points however about the amount of stuff you can get from breaking boxes and learning self sufficiency though. I suppose it would be a lot of resources for not a lot of benefit.

I have played through the new Korthos for the first time on a TR, I guess it just made me reminisce about the days when I wasn't very good at the game.

I still think the barter interface and option for plat instead are good ideas though.

Jay203
04-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Stuff that won't help you perhaps. Think of the new players! The pro's can quite easily not pick up anything.

You make far better points however about the amount of stuff you can get from breaking boxes and learning self sufficiency though. I suppose it would be a lot of resources for not a lot of benefit.

I have played through the new Korthos for the first time on a TR, I guess it just made me reminisce about the days when I wasn't very good at the game.

I still think the barter interface and option for plat instead are good ideas though.

storehouse secret has so much breakables it's actually hard to not be able to find at least a couple healing potions
not to mention the starter healing potions are really cheap on Korthos
i think they're fine as long as they're not being reckless

Mathermune
04-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Tough love!

I've changed my mind, make it harder says I!

Jay203
04-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Tough love!

I've changed my mind, make it harder says I!

lol, real tough love would be making korthos difficulty the same as rest of the game instead of making it easier ;););)

Matuse
04-04-2012, 06:36 PM
lol, real tough love would be making korthos difficulty the same as rest of the game instead of making it easier

Put the eLoB in Korthos square.

"Well, the dragon is a nuisance, but the real problem is the psychotic metal dude who skates around and chops everybody to pieces while begging for aspirin".

Jay203
04-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Put the eLoB in Korthos square.

"Well, the dragon is a nuisance, but the real problem is the psychotic metal dude who skates around and chops everybody to pieces while begging for aspirin".

lol, we said tough love, not psychotic stomping :p

Falco_Easts
04-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Collectables on Korthos, Oh please dear god no.

Collectable collecters using the abrter system so new players can actually choose something useful rather then just crossing their fingers on the hand I think would be good idea.

MRH
04-04-2012, 11:07 PM
One thing you should be able to do with the diff collectables is use one with armor to change the color

so one of the bloody fungus with armor in stone of change = red armor

put a green cryptmoss larva with armor in stone of change = green armor

etc.... whatever the color of the collectable .... will be the color change

think that would be alot of coding.... so I doubt that will ever happen

and who knows what would break if they added this in :eek:

Dagolar
04-05-2012, 12:46 AM
I agree with switching collectors to barter systems, updating them to be relevant to the current game, and adding additional trade-in options for larger amounts of each collectible.

Any other changes I've noted here are unnecessary or cumbersome. :)

Komitulek
04-05-2012, 07:34 AM
Hmm...just give me an npc that lets me trade 5000 prayer beads for one lightning-split soarwood :)

Silken-Akira
04-05-2012, 07:58 AM
full support for the barter interface and option for plat

Silverwren
04-05-2012, 10:29 AM
But the collectables already ARE more relevant, now that the Cannith crafting system is firmly established. Many collectables are required to craft shards.

danotmano1998
04-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Meh..

There's a few decent rewards available from the collectors.
Once you get a character past mid-level they become fairly useless, other than a time sink.

I'd rather NOT see the barter system in these guys, to be honest.
A way to "Turn in ALL of my relevant collectibles with one click" would be better, IMO.

Or, you can let them build up in your collectible bags and use them for the occasional cannith crafting need and either sell the rest on the AH, or throw them away.