PDA

View Full Version : Chest: Only show your loot

Syllph
04-02-2012, 10:38 PM
I ask for this about every six months so I'm going to ask again,

Could we please have loot in chests only show what belongs to you and nobody else?

People just can't seem to grasp that other people's loot is not your loot.

The whole, "he stole my item even though it was in his name" gets to me about every six months.

If you can't see what other people loot then people can't be upset with what others loot.

If a fighter loots a torc he might TR into a wiz. Even if he doesn't it's his loot. If a Sorc loots a SoS it's his loot.

If nobody can see what's in the chest except what is in their own name, I just think it would stop a lot of silly arguing.

You could still pass items / put them for roll. Just hide the item unless it's in your name.

Looking for a more relaxed, less jealous approach to looting.

Please?

MsEricka
04-03-2012, 12:31 AM
We don't need a new game mechanic to hide more things. In fact we need less of them.

Yes the devs want to keep some things secret, but by keeping them secret it sometimes takes weeks or months for users to figure out that something is wrong and longer still for it to be fixed.

Solo.

Dagolar
04-03-2012, 12:37 AM
So, what you're saying is, to reduce greed, you want to implement a mechanic that allows people to better hoard items by hiding their own gains as they attempt to take other ones up for grabs? Or are you also asking for the removal of the loot passing mechanic?

You've got a fair concern, but your recommendation for dealing with it would only worsen it, or have an overall negative effect on play.

Thankfully, there's already a fix for your concern: Find a guild or steady group to run with that treats things respectfully- or, at least, in a way that you agree with.

Sidewaysgts86
04-03-2012, 02:07 AM
I've been playing DDO for a fair bit now, and for the past almos 2 years its been bumped up to basically a "daily" thing for me. Ive numerous characters accross numerous servers. I raid on a fairly regular basis when groups and of course, timers, allow. And in all honesty, I cant honestly think of this having ever once been an issue in *any* groups ive *Ever* been in.

Just sayin'.

Zorth
04-03-2012, 02:25 AM
Just have everyone get in a line, everytime there is a chest, and each gets a chance to loot one at a time.
There must also be a designated line that the others cannot cross so they do not peak over the shoulder of the character who is currently looting. 15 feet away should do it.
Then as each character loots they call out what they don't want and everyone rolls on it. This way you get to loot what you want.
Oh yah and make sure the Party Chat Displays are all turned off for loot otherwise this defeats the purpose of formentioned idea.
Then after about 5 to 10 minutes of buffs ticking away the party can get on with the quest.

Brilliant and Problem Solved.

Sarcasm off.

Zonixx
04-03-2012, 02:29 AM
Nah sorry if you don't feel comfortable with your group seeing your loot, then you should probably just not group with them.

PNellesen
04-03-2012, 05:39 AM
... And in all honesty, I cant honestly think of this having ever once been an issue in *any* groups ive *Ever* been in.

I see this sort of thing happen "oftenish". Not every raid, not every other raid, but enough that I wouldn't mind something like the OP's suggestion being implemented. There'd be a LOT less drama that way.

A better (imo) suggestion - make ALL possible end rewards available on the 20th run of a raid. (I know this doesn't address things like the Mysterious Bauble and other chest-only loot, but it would be a good compromise)

mobrien316
04-03-2012, 05:56 AM
The mechanism is already in place to avoid loot drama; items in the chest have someone's name on them when the chest opens. It works quite well.

Just because we have a large minority of people who feel other people's loot is their concern is no reason to change it. The way things are now, people can choose to put unwanted or unneeded loot up for roll or simply pass it to others, but they are not requied to (despite what some of the "your loot is really my loot" people think.)

Lleren
04-03-2012, 06:10 AM
I would prefer an option to hide everyone else's loot... from me.

Could we please have loot in chests only show what belongs to you and nobody else?

The whole, "he stole my item even though it was in his name" gets to me about every six months.

If you can't see what other people loot then people can't be upset with what others loot.

If a fighter loots a torc he might TR into a wiz. Even if he doesn't it's his loot. If a Sorc loots a SoS it's his loot.

If nobody can see what's in the chest except what is in their own name, I just think it would stop a lot of silly arguing.

You could still pass items / put them for roll. Just hide the item unless it's in your name.

Please?

Alrik_Fassbauer
04-03-2012, 06:36 AM
So, what you're saying is, to reduce greed, you want to implement a mechanic that allows people to better hoard items by hiding their own gains

We've got the pawn shops and the Auction House already for that. Plus, personal trade.

Gkar
04-03-2012, 06:42 AM

Then I'll say the same thing as last time, no.

Part of the fun for many people is seeing the loot others get. It helps offset your own disappointment if you didn't pull that rare <whatever> and lets you cheer for the group. Plus, I don't mind if someone says "hey, if you can't use it, would you mind selling me that <thingamabob> you just pulled". Often I even know I have it (I stopped looking during quests lol) and I'll usually just hand it over if I will just crunch it/sell it as only new players tend to ask.

glouky
04-03-2012, 07:27 AM
For me, your loot is your loot, and that's all.

Don't showing what's in chest could be fun, especially if it continues to log it to the chat window when you loot it ;)

On the other hand, it is always unclear what are people supposed to do with loot they don't want for themselves:
* put it for roll ? sounds fair if everyone do it
* selling it ? why not... after they have their loot and people that really want it will be happy to buy it.
* give it to a friend ? it is fine only if the default rule is selling... otherwise, it is unfair for other players

Syllph
04-03-2012, 08:26 AM
heh :) See you all again in September

Silverwren
04-03-2012, 08:37 AM
I've been playing DDO for a fair bit now, and for the past almos 2 years its been bumped up to basically a "daily" thing for me. Ive numerous characters accross numerous servers. I raid on a fairly regular basis when groups and of course, timers, allow. And in all honesty, I cant honestly think of this having ever once been an issue in *any* groups ive *Ever* been in.

Just sayin'.

I'm with you.

I've got five different toons I've been playing with for the better part of two years and I've never had this crop up. I HAVE seen someone say at the beginning of a quest "If Item X comes up in a chest it's mine", to which I reply "Only if I don't need it and you win the roll".

What pops up in a chest with your name on it is yours to do with as you please and anyone who thinks otherwise deserves to be squelched and put on a "Do not play with" list.

Uska
04-03-2012, 09:44 AM
NO part of the fun is seeing what other people get

Teharahma
04-03-2012, 10:02 AM
I see this sort of thing happen "oftenish". Not every raid, not every other raid, but enough that I wouldn't mind something like the OP's suggestion being implemented. There'd be a LOT less drama that way.

A better (imo) suggestion - make ALL possible end rewards available on the 20th run of a raid. (I know this doesn't address things like the Mysterious Bauble and other chest-only loot, but it would be a good compromise)

People could also stop being ******bags and accept it's a game.

Cyr
04-03-2012, 10:04 AM
/not signed

Silly suggestion originally and does not get any better no matter how many times the OP posts the same thread.

Cyiwin
04-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Then I'll say the same thing as last time, no.

Part of the fun for many people is seeing the loot others get. It helps offset your own disappointment if you didn't pull that rare <whatever> and lets you cheer for the group. Plus, I don't mind if someone says "hey, if you can't use it, would you mind selling me that <thingamabob> you just pulled". Often I even know I have it (I stopped looking during quests lol) and I'll usually just hand it over if I will just crunch it/sell it as only new players tend to ask.

Part of the fun for many people is snooping through other peoples stuff but it doesn't change the fact that it's none of their business. This is a part of the game that has always bothered me, it really should be your choice if you want to show off your goods to others.

danotmano1998
04-03-2012, 10:13 AM

No thank you.

Please?

Agreed. It's called do what you want with your loot, and I will do the same.
We already have a chest mechanic in place to avoid the drama.

It's not the system that needs fixed, it's the player's viewpoints.

mobrien316
04-03-2012, 10:16 AM
NO part of the fun is seeing what other people get

I like to see that someone, even if it's not me, is getting the item I have run a raid 50 times trying to get. Then at least I know they actually do drop...

On various characters, I have probably run VoN at least fifty times. I have seen one SoS drop in all that time, and it went to someone else. But at least I know it's not bugged and that it actually does drop.

Grimlock
04-03-2012, 10:18 AM

Please?

Why would we possibly want this? Being able to see other characters loot is nice because we can see drop rates of items. If people do not get the concept that they can do whatever they want with their loot that is on them. People will continue to whine and complain, as that is mostly what is done on the forums.

If the arguing bothers you just ignore posts related to how Person A kept Item X even though they might not ever use said item, or how Person B accidentally passed a SoS to the Artificer instead of the d100 high roller.

I agree that these threads get old fast, but it is easier to just ignore them.

JOTMON
04-03-2012, 10:56 AM
no thanks.

I would rather see the system changed to non-transferrable loot.
More like the Cannith challenges. you get ingredients every run then you craft what you want by turning in the ingredients. The more you run the more ingredients you get. No loot drama, no auction to highest bidder, no underhanded passing of loot, no proxy rolling, no passed to wrong player and that player has left the locked quest etc....

This way no matter what happens you have your BTA ingredients and no one has anything to complain about with chest loot and someone pulling a item because they might be thinking about TR'ing someday and someone else with crappy luck on their final build never getting the item they are grinding for see someone pull an item knowing they may use it for a TR life then throw it away or never actually TR and have it rotting in their bank..

Cyiwin
04-03-2012, 11:37 AM
no thanks.

I would rather see the system changed to non-transferrable loot.
More like the Cannith challenges. you get ingredients every run then you craft what you want by turning in the ingredients. The more you run the more ingredients you get. No loot drama, no auction to highest bidder, no underhanded passing of loot, no proxy rolling, no passed to wrong player and that player has left the locked quest etc....

This way no matter what happens you have your BTA ingredients and no one has anything to complain about with chest loot and someone pulling a item because they might be thinking about TR'ing someday and someone else with crappy luck on their final build never getting the item they are grinding for see someone pull an item knowing they may use it for a TR life then throw it away or never actually TR and have it rotting in their bank..

I like this too, except for the loss of excitement from the gamble- err... if you like that sort of thing.

SSFWEl
04-03-2012, 11:38 AM

I just think it would stop a lot of silly arguing.

Please?

Oooor, just make a toon with us on Orien. Need before greed by us, my friend (as a rule, as a rule, always exceptions).