PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Advice for late game arti

Osma77
03-31-2012, 10:36 PM
My first arti has just hit 18 and he has been a blast to play. I had no problem dominating most of the game while leveling up, and since he has 2 levels of monk for evasion and better saves, he has little trouble soloing most content, especially half of the challanges (since i have difficulty finding parties for them).

My problem is that now that i am starting into the level 16 elite quests (let alone higher), i am having serious trouble keeping up with the party. I still do enough damage to be useful, ending up on the top half of the kill list and not needing a cleric to babysit me usually, but i no longer deal half as much damage as i used to. I am thinking that since this is a first life, i literally leveled up TOO quickly (much of my gear is level 10-13 except 16 challange gear) and as a result haven't spent enough time learning how to maximise my char.

Strengths:
-Good at dealing consistent xbow damage while avoiding incoming mobs, taking out casters/archers while avoiding the general melee of the party.
-Good at staying alive (although i do little to keep party alive other then emergency raise dead scrolls).
-Usually remember self buffs (sadly this is a good thing for me, since i am horrible at remembering clickies).

Problems:
-Low to-hit: most of my secondary weapons (smiter, banisher) are low +to hit, while my main weapon is only a metaline pure good with icy burst (until i finish my greensteel). Result is that i miss on elite high ac mobs.
-Low spell damage: currently using BB and prismatic strike (for stuns). Even with full force spec the BB is only hitting for around 50 (saved) to 200.
-Pitiful rune arms that i almost never use (running around with a ranged +10% crafted on a level 7 rune arm from delera's. The only good rune arms i found otherwise are level 19 (and i just hit 18). Since the ones i use do little damage, i have little practice using them in combat.

While i plan on reincing when i hit 20, is there anything i can do to smooth out the next two levels?

[level 16arti/2monk, drow, 290 hp, construct essence (since i am bad at switching weapon/scroll/cast/weapon), plenty of int/dex, low str, moderate con. Planning on reincing to wf or human arty at 20. Learning to manage aggro and stay alive usually isnt much of a problem since i play many rogues but i have almost no experence on casters.]

wax_on_wax_off
03-31-2012, 11:10 PM
Apply Masterful Craftsmanship to an ML:19 Rune Arm to make it ML:17 (Lucid Dreams preferably)
Use Maximise, Empower and Superior Potency VI (found on Lucid Dreams) to get good Blade Barrier damage
Get 39 UMD through Greater Heroism scrolls/clickies, persuasion, enhancement, +6 charisma item and carry stacks of heal scrolls to heal party members
Craft, for instance, a +4 Holy Heavy Repeating Crossbow of Evil Outsider Bane (pretty low ML on that) or stalk the Auction House for decent niche crossbows (aberration bane, evil outsider bane, smiting etc)
Use Conjure Bolts to get +5 bolts to raise the AB on utility crossbows (only uses best enhancement of either crossbow or bolts)
Swap to Insightful Strikes if you're missing in elites or find better AB gear (crafted +4 AB, clever +6, guild augment slotted goggles are really nice). Alchemists set gives +2 AB (cannith quests), Sora Kell set gives +2 AB (attack on stormreach f2p chain).
Decent ML:14 Rune Arms can be pulled out of Gianthold Tor quest, one from each dragon, definitely a solid option.
Grab an elfcrafted robe from Gianthold if you don't have Lucid Dreams (very easy to get this rune arm though).

Good luck :)

Osma77
03-31-2012, 11:41 PM
I think i forgot to actually activate my maximize on my BB, since i just got it last level and it took me less then 2 days to level. Don't have master craft yet because i think it takes house c favor, while i haven't gotten around to doing any house c quests yet (other then challanges), so that is a good idea. Been using the conjured bolts, so i dont know why i was hitting less with my +1s, but maybe i just had a bad series of rolls. Forgot about insightful strikes, so that should help quite a bit, since the extra damage dosen't help if i am not hitting.

Thank you for your ideas.

ChaneDDO
04-02-2012, 06:38 PM
I know you said you forget to use clickies but get yourself a couple of x5 Divine Power clickies. If you're having trouble hitting then they will increase your BAB to your current level. So that should be an extra +5 to hit when you need it. Should last 1m 30s at level 16 Artificer I think.

Artificers are the kings of clickies :)

goodspeed
04-02-2012, 10:04 PM
ya a divine power click will jack you right up. Conjure bolts go to +6 I think. So your utility things like holy of smiting, banishing of pure good become that.

Have a stock pile of scrolls on you. Always 100 heal scrolls at least. If your a wf then carry some recon scrolls as well. And I like to carry em just in case we can't find a fleshy for a raid and gotta use the robot.

And don't be a penny pinching cheapskate like most of these mages i'm seeing lately. At the start cast those weapon buffs, hell throw an armor of speed on those melee. Cause god knows the mage would sooner cut out his organ to sell it on the black market then cast even the common gh blur combo.

Ive actually just started listing them all. My sorc must be gods gift to a party for literally casting something on the group. So ya don't be cheap, it helps for future grouping in end game content that is soon to come.

And as a lv 20 arti I'd say know the traps. Watch em, look, ask if you don't know. Usually in every trap theirs a safe spot. That's the spot your gonna need to get book to hopefully while someone with umd or the healer has you targeted to give you a quick hit of hp should you fail the save. (Ya I haven't been seeing that either lol.)

testing1234
04-02-2012, 10:50 PM
hmm metaline? on a arti with access to infusions for the different types this might not be the best choice

id suggest you make a wounding of puncturing repeater only need around 45ish crafting or so takes awhile to kill enemies but often you make them stunned faster then you could have killed em with a GS weapon especially on elite.
you can slap a +4 on that and its still only lvl15 req and +5 need so high crafting lvl to make.
just makes you a very good team mate disabling enemies before they die
slapping a +4 makes a difference sice even though your summoned bolts are +5 your artificer battle enchanments gives +2to your weapon enchanments making a +4=+6total

bracers found in blockage busters fairly good drop rate +2tohit and +1todamage on ranged attacks stacks with i think everything as its a buff called "marksmanship"
http://ddowiki.com/page/Wind_Howler_Bracers

if you rightclick your spells which you have fastkeyed you can choice to activate maximize/emp/quicken always off/on for the spell and you can fast key 1 max/emp bb and one bb without any of em active which i find useful for saving sp.
but basically max/emp on my bb never comes off either you dont need to cast it or you want it to kill

any class when hitting 18 on a first life will be fairly badly equiped compared to someone who spent 3months+ grinding equip at 20. just try to figure out which quests has items you could use then run those lvl speed doesnt really matter once you hit 18 its grabbing as much loot on your way to 20 thats the key

WizardMerrick
04-04-2012, 02:01 AM
wounding of puncturing

These no longer work the way they used to on red- and purple-named mobs.

From the DDO Wiki:

Red named monsters can only take up to a maximum of 10 points of constitution damage.
Purple named bosses are entirely immune to this effect.

alemulet
04-04-2012, 11:23 AM
My art 1st life, wf is lvl 18 too (enough dex for IPS, rest in int) and i didnt get many problens with to-hit, maybe when i do elite in lvl, but doing a quest lvl 16 in elite i rly dont have many problens with to-hit.. but 2 itens easy to get will make some diference here.. wind howler bracers and sora kell set, for those like us 1st life without a lvl 20 toon for farm itens these 2 itens are rly nice.. i crafted +2 to-hit in 1 peashoter arm too.. usually dex in art is the stat to to-hit, how is yours?
About weapon i tried a lot, holy/bleed, holy burst, and others... what im using now (no gs yet) is +4 wop (even without the old efect this weapon is rly nice)... try to get a doublecross reapeter (http://ddowiki.com/page/Doublecross_Bow) you can use int for to-hit an dmg with this one.. nice weap tho

Osma77
04-04-2012, 12:15 PM
usually dex in art is the stat to to-hit, how is yours?

I realised the day after i wrote this that most of my problem was indeed that i had leveled up repetidly without actually checking what i had and had not done (didnt use the char for about 4 months). Indeed, i had forgten to read any tomes (other then an int tome) so my stats were quite a bit too low. Only had 18 base dex (which is why i hadn't gotten ips. Got that now.

Also, the big problem seemed to be a case that a) i had taken off wind howler for bracers of air, which lowered my to hit a tiny bit, and b) the quests i was having problems with were running with the devils (those cleric balls have a ton of ac iirc) and sins of attrition (both on elite). On normal quests (like shroud) or elite without tons and tons of ac and teleporting mobs, i haven't been doing so badly. I still suck at using the rune arms (and probably will until i get level 19 since i dont have gianthold flagged to get those arms that were talked about) but my dps has increased quite a bit just by getting ips and gathering tomes/gear.

This is why you dont stop playing a toon for months at a time kids.

alemulet
04-04-2012, 02:09 PM
since you are lvl 18 already, forget giant runes, go farm lucid dream (mindsunder quest, path of inspiration pack) its now rly easy to get.. my art got it like 2 hours ago, plus other rly nice itens (terror, quoforged docent, light and darkness)...after you get it all about runearms is finished, go and farm house C favor, craft a Shard of Masterful Craftsmanship and use your lucid at lvl 17 =) in the next life... about your dex, 18 is without tome?

Osma77
04-12-2012, 11:13 AM
since you are lvl 18 already, forget giant runes, go farm lucid dream (mindsunder quest, path of inspiration pack) its now rly easy to get.. my art got it like 2 hours ago, plus other rly nice itens (terror, quoforged docent, light and darkness)...after you get it all about runearms is finished, go and farm house C favor, craft a Shard of Masterful Craftsmanship and use your lucid at lvl 17 =) in the next life... about your dex, 18 is without tome?

Ya, already have a lucid (was waiting for 19 to use it) but your right, i need to farm house c favor so i can use it now.

And yes, i had 18 dex. Not entirely sure why. Really should have put it into str since i have had a serious carryweight problem my whole char.life even with str items. (i carry a lot of xbows).

deahamlet
04-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Check this out:
http://ddowiki.com/page/Rune_Arm

Get Glorious Obscenity from Reign of Madness. It's ML:17 and really nice.

Book_O_Dragons
04-12-2012, 05:30 PM
I dumped my wind howlers months ago since the to-hit and damage bonus didn't work on my repeaters. IDK about real bows.

Vorpal effect works.

Osma77
04-12-2012, 11:24 PM
Check this out:
http://ddowiki.com/page/Rune_Arm

Get Glorious Obscenity from Reign of Madness. It's ML:17 and really nice.

Would be a really great choice if i didnt have monk levels.

Xyfiel
04-13-2012, 03:50 AM
I dumped my wind howlers months ago since the to-hit and damage bonus didn't work on my repeaters. IDK about real bows.

Vorpal effect works.

It works, it just doesn't show in the character details box.