PDA

View Full Version : Artificer House Deneith Champion

UrbanPyro
03-31-2012, 04:46 PM
This post is currently incomplete, as I will be using it as a point of reference, and etc.
Any feedback is welcome.

Objective:

Melee Bastard Sword DPS, House Deneith Dragonmarks, Flavor Build

Race, Class, and Alignment

Battle Engineer
Human, Artificer 20, True Neutral

Ability Scores (34 pt)

34 STR - 17 base +2 tome +5 levels +6 item +3 exceptional +1 AP
16 DEX - 8 base +2 tome +6 item
28 CON - 17 base +2 tome +6 item +2 exceptional +1 AP
26 INT - 15 base +2 tome +6 item +2 exceptional +1 AP
17 WIS - 8 base +2 tome +6 item +1 exceptional
16 CHA - 8 base +2 tome +6 item

Feats

1 - Toughness
1 (H) - Two-Handed Fighting
3 - Least Dragonmark of Sentinel
(4) - Construct Essence
6 - Power Attack
(8) - Maximize Spell
9 - Lesser Dragonmark of Sentinel
12 - Improved Two Handed Fighting
(12) - Quicken Spell
15 - Greater Dragonmark of Sentinel
(16) - Skill Focus: Use Magic Device
18 - Greater Two Handed Fighting
(20) - Augment Summoning

Gear (Immediate Use)

Head - Supreme Tyrant Green Steel Helm of Mineral (+45 hp)
Goggles - Tharnes Goggles / Epic Kundarak Delving Goggles (Open)
Neck - Kilau's Necklace / Torc of Prince Raiyum
Trinket - The Blood Stone / Epic Treasure Hunter's Spyglass (Luck +2) / Litany of the Dead* / Mysterious Bauble*
Cloak - Charisma +6
Belt - Colethenis's Belt
Bracers - Bracers of the Glacier
Gloves - Spectral Gloves / Vile Blasphemy*
Boots - Boots of the Innocent
Ring - Ring of the Ravager (+2 str)
Ring - Kilau's Band (20% Heal Amp) / Epic Ring of the Stalker (+6 Dex, Proof Against Poison)
Armor - Epic Deneith Heavy Chain (Int 6, Toughness)
Main Hand - Epic Chimera's Fang / Supreme Tyrant Green Steel Bastard Sword of Lightning* / Other various situational weaponry as necessary
Off Hand/Rune Arm - Toven's Hammer (Completed) / Lucid Dreams

Miscellaneous

N/A

Hit Points

Heroic Durability - +20
Artificer 20 - +140
CON 28 - +180
Toughness (Feat) - +22
Racial Toughness - +20
Battle Engineer - +10
Superior False Life - +40
GS HP - +45
eChimera's Crown - +20
Toughness (Item) - +20
GH Favor - +10
---
Total - 527

Saves

23 Fort - 6 base +CON 26 (8) +4 item +4 insight
18 Ref - 6 base +DEX 16 (3) +4 item +4 insight
24 Will - 12 base +WIS 17 (3) +4 item +4 insight

Heal Amplification

Base - 100%
Human Improved Recovery II - +20%
Tod Ring - +20%
eClaw Gloves - +30%
---
Total 187.2% (Additional 45% from full Wand and Scroll Mastery line)

Use Magic Device

Ranks - 23
Cha - 16 (3)
Past Life - 1
SF: UMD - 3
Enhancements - 4~
Cha Skills (GS) - 5~6
Spyglass - 3
Luck - 2
---
Total 39-44

Enhancements

N/A

Sources: N/A

UrbanPyro
04-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Reserved.

wax_on_wax_off
04-02-2012, 08:39 PM
I've just capped my Typhon and run my first Shroud. I'm mainly crafting on the character until I finish items on him (mainly gloves of the claw and chimera's fang).

The main issue that I see is that you might end up with lower DPS than a Typhon build due to higher rate of saves vs your Rune Arm. This also ties in with Sentinel Dragonmarks over Cannith as the Typhon can take SF/GSF: Evocation for even high rune arm DCs. Why did you choose sentinel DMs over Cannith?

I've just crafted my +6 Clever Goggles of Accuracy +4 with a medium guild augment slot for an additional +15 HP (I'll have to track down an LGA set for an extra 5 HP). If you made a similar set you could look for Wretched Twilight to become your Sneak Attack item (requires moving conc-opp to boot slot though).

I've also noticed that Frozen Tunic doesn't interfere with Rune Arm damage on a bastard sword like it does on crossbows so I might make that a permanent piece of equipment (easy to do with the clever goggles); the freezing ice proc is very cool and the fireshield (cold) guard really helps survivability in raid situations.

I've slotted Major Kinetic Lore on my Lucid Dreams and will slot Major Lightning Lore on Toven's Hammer when I get it which is a significant DPS increase on either.

UrbanPyro
04-02-2012, 10:04 PM
I did highly consider your Typhon build, but not being able to fit in some of the metamagics bothered me.

Seeing as I've wanted to make toon based around the House D gear from sentinels, I chose House D marks over House C purely for flavor. Artificer seemed more interesting than just a straight up fighter. Also, I have a crafter with 70/70/70, so it seemed silly to make another.

I thought Major Lores were a +6 shard, apparently they are not. Maybe I was thinking of Greater Evocation Focus at the time. I shall definitely have to slot those into the respective Rune Arms.

wax_on_wax_off
04-02-2012, 11:31 PM
I did highly consider your Typhon build, but not being able to fit in some of the metamagics bothered me.

Seeing as I've wanted to make toon based around the House D gear from sentinels, I chose House D marks over House C purely for flavor. Artificer seemed more interesting than just a straight up fighter. Also, I have a crafter with 70/70/70, so it seemed silly to make another.

I thought Major Lores were a +6 shard, apparently they are not. Maybe I was thinking of Greater Evocation Focus at the time. I shall definitely have to slot those into the respective Rune Arms.

House D gear works almost as good with Cannith marks as it does with Sentinel marks. Iirc, lose the +50% fortification, eFang drops from +10 to +8 and lose +20% incite. Overall being able to pick up SF/GSF: Evocation is much nicer. I've just swapped over Augment Summoning for Empower so now have Maximise and Empower - I don't really see that I need any other metamagics.

UrbanPyro
04-02-2012, 11:37 PM
I could do what I'd ideally like to do if SF: Evo/GSF: Evo could be taken as bonus feats.

Why Empower Spell over Quicken Spell?

wax_on_wax_off
04-04-2012, 01:03 AM
I could do what I'd ideally like to do if SF: Evo/GSF: Evo could be taken as bonus feats.

Why Empower Spell over Quicken Spell?

What needs to be quickened? In my experience quicken is only required for self heals/reconstructs, symbol/other long casting time spells and mass heal. Without any of these quicken really isn't needed. Crafted a Health +6, LGA:+20 HP Necklace of Inner Focus +13 today so end up with over 60 concentration.

Just finished my Epic Chimera's Fang today and picked up an augment crystal of aligned planes for 150k plat on the AH so can, combined with infusions, can break any DR except blunt. Really like the higher AB that it gives, helps a lot in epics. I'm almost finished my claw gloves too (just need seal and base item). After playing my rogue who GH's and goes I think I'm going to get quite fed up quite quickly with the constant rebuffing of DP/DF, I'm glad that I'm pure.

I definitely *don't* think that emarilith chain is the best item for this build. The difference between +6 seeker (from epic stalker ring) and +10 seeker on a bastard sword is ~1.5 damage/hit vs 0% fortification mobs. On the other hand, frozen tunic provides freezing ice proc on glancing blows or diabolist robe is increasing rune arm damage by 5%. At this stage I think I'll go for the Frozen Tunic (just have to upgrade it to tier 3 so I can slot toughness).

Another thought is that going strength based you've given up one of the best things about taking the sentinel marks. The +50% fortification is a perfect cure for the -50% fortification from drinking an int yugo pot which gives the possibility to get up to 44 intelligence which is really nice.

I'm impressed by the AB with the fang, didn't have to turn off PA in eClaw as long as I had DF/DP up, I find that impressive as I usually run that quest without PA on on my epic geared rogue.

UrbanPyro
04-11-2012, 07:22 AM
Good point. It's a default to not want to go without Max and Quicken at the least since I build my first blue-bar character. Quicken Blade Barriers are nice, but I'm not sure what else I would take as a artificer bonus feat at this time.

Frozen tunic is probably going to be the best bang for the buck. I'd rather save my emarry chain parts for someone else when I stop being lazy and go seal farm.

Based on what I've learned, I see no reason why to splash anything on artificer. As much as I can understand monk splashes, the capstone is just too good to want to give up in all it's tasty-utility-glory.

Other thoughts:

Leveling this build has been a pain. I can solo most normal/hard at level. Investing into Wands, and Reconstruct scrolls (with Recon ap line) started making healing a lot easier. Thankfully I've been following a few buddies who TR'ed their casters around the same time to make things a bit less of a nightmare. There is a high chance I will end up LRing, but we'll see how things go after this train wreck is capped. This build was definitely more appealing on paper. It's been tolerable so far, but perhaps it'll be better once Construct Essence p2 makes it way to the game and other Arti PRE's.

wax_on_wax_off
04-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Good point. It's a default to not want to go without Max and Quicken at the least since I build my first blue-bar character. Quicken Blade Barriers are nice, but I'm not sure what else I would take as a artificer bonus feat at this time.

Frozen tunic is probably going to be the best bang for the buck. I'd rather save my emarry chain parts for someone else when I stop being lazy and go seal farm.

Based on what I've learned, I see no reason why to splash anything on artificer. As much as I can understand monk splashes, the capstone is just too good to want to give up in all it's tasty-utility-glory.

Other thoughts:

Leveling this build has been a pain. I can solo most normal/hard at level. Investing into Wands, and Reconstruct scrolls (with Recon ap line) started making healing a lot easier. Thankfully I've been following a few buddies who TR'ed their casters around the same time to make things a bit less of a nightmare. There is a high chance I will end up LRing, but we'll see how things go after this train wreck is capped. This build was definitely more appealing on paper. It's been tolerable so far, but perhaps it'll be better once Construct Essence p2 makes it way to the game and other Arti PRE's.

The hardest part about leveling my Typhon was finding elite openers to maintain my elite streak >>

I'm looking forward to Construct Essence p2 and might leave the build capped and polished in anticipation. More or less finished gear now, just waiting on Ravager Ring, LotD, Wretched Twilight and slotting a few things.

The frustrating part for me is that running challenges I end up pulling out a crossbow anyway (epic Hellfire) as it's not worthwhile to slow down to swing at anything (but this is true for all builds). In some quests I find myself swapping to Terror (I still have IC:S) as it kills mobs faster (but this is true for all builds). In raids the eFang/Lucid Dreams combo seems quite strong, I'm curious about how strong it is though as I really don't know (comparative DPS terms). Seems decent anyway.

Overall I find the concept to be a success but at the same time I'm not sure it necessarily gels with my play style, still working that out. In the meantime, I'm having fun.

FooWonk
04-11-2012, 10:07 AM
I've also noticed that Frozen Tunic doesn't interfere with Rune Arm damage on a bastard sword like it does on crossbows so I might make that a permanent piece of equipment (easy to do with the clever goggles); the freezing ice proc is very cool and the fireshield (cold) guard really helps survivability in raid situations.

I will be making a Frozen Tunic immediately for my melee artificer! Did you make level 16 for craftable slot or level 20 for epic slots?

wax_on_wax_off
04-11-2012, 02:28 PM
I will be making a Frozen Tunic immediately for my melee artificer! Did you make level 16 for craftable slot or level 20 for epic slots?

Level 20 ... but I've been lazy and haven't upgraded it so no epic slots yet. Haven't had time to do much more than the daily eLoD as far as quests go as doing mostly challenges and raids so been using the diabolist robe for the most part (for higher int mod).

UrbanPyro
04-13-2012, 06:39 AM
The hardest part about leveling my Typhon was finding elite openers to maintain my elite streak

Elite takes too long to solo for it to be worth while for the Str base. I've been keeping up a hard streak easy.

I'm looking forward to Construct Essence p2 and might leave the build capped and polished in anticipation. More or less finished gear now, just waiting on Ravager Ring, LotD, Wretched Twilight and slotting a few things.

Renegade Mastermaker, we can only hope.

The frustrating part for me is that running challenges I end up pulling out a crossbow anyway (epic Hellfire) as it's not worthwhile to slow down to swing at anything (but this is true for all builds). In some quests I find myself swapping to Terror (I still have IC:S) as it kills mobs faster (but this is true for all builds). In raids the eFang/Lucid Dreams combo seems quite strong, I'm curious about how strong it is though as I really don't know (comparative DPS terms). Seems decent anyway.

I just started in on Vale (hard) tonight, said eff it, dropped the Rune Arm/Sword combo, and started swinging an SoS I happened by during many loot runs for The Disciplinator. It kept up with the other melee pugs just fine.

Overall I find the concept to be a success but at the same time I'm not sure it necessarily gels with my play style, still working that out. In the meantime, I'm having fun.

Gimp or not, I've been kind of enjoying it. It was definitely fun to run as for a casual raid toon during the first life. Thankfully the human version will have better saves, and heal amp even!

I ran across someone from Caffeine, Sarlona who had a ranged 16 art/2 monk/2 fgr split who claimed they had a 71 unbuffed AC during a lob last winter. Unfortunately, I haven't seen them since to inquire, but I intend to reverse engineer the build and see if I can make it into a melee off-tank maybe for a future LR or TR.

wax_on_wax_off
04-13-2012, 09:39 AM
...snip...

Just had a look at some basic DPS calcs for bastard sword vs crossbow here (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=4406078#post4406078) and bastard sword came out 50 DPS ahead.

I've mused a few times that between the +5 natural on chimera's helm, +4 insight on epic fang, +5 shield of faith and everything else available that it should be quite reasonable to get a decent AC with a decent set of armour. When cove comes back I might craft some epic cavalry plate and see how it looks. Arcing Sky has +3 dodge on it for one thing though pulling out a shield isn't out of the question either.

Mainhand: Epic Chimera's Fang (good slotted)
Offhand: Epic Templar's Bulwark (masters touch)
Head: Epic Chimera's Crown (SR 30, +20 HP, +5 natural AC, yellow, white)
Gloves: Epic Gloves of the Claw (+30% Healing Amplification, +6 strength)
Wrists: Epic Bracers of the Claw (+2 exceptional Con, heavy fort)
Boots: Conc-opp HP Boots
Cloak: Epic Cloak of Night
Ring1: Epic Ring of the Stalker (yellow: GFL, white)
Ring2: Ravager Ring (+6 strength, +1 exceptional strength, +2 exceptional strength)
Necklace: Epic Grim's Bracelet
Goggles: Cannith Crafted +6 Clever, LGA Goggles of Accuracy +4
Belt: Ravager Belt
Trinket: Nimble Trinket
Armour: T3 Epic Cavalry Plate
Quiver: Quiver of Alacrity (upgraded)

10 base+16 plate+3 dex+3 dodge+2 dodge+5 natural+5 protection+1 dodge+4 insight+3 ship buffs+11 shield+2 shield/armour slotted w/+7 +2 enchant weapons/armour+1 haste+1 armour of speed=69 AC

Not sure it's worth it, combat expertise =74, bard song/paladin aura=84 ... I suppose it could work. Better to build a tank if you want a tank though, for the most part I find that displacement/stoneskin/radiant forcefield works well enough.

UrbanPyro
04-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Deleted.