PDA

View Full Version : Loot Questions

KnightFalz
03-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Hello everyone,

I just have a couple of basic questions about loot I hope to get answered.

Firstly, I've noticed when soloing in the starter area that the items I get from chests are almost always unusable my my character. Is this common, perhaps as a means to stimulate trade?

Secondly, I was repeating a particular quest many times to set up starting supplies of coin, healing potions, and the like. Apparently, I went through that quest one too many times, as it started giving me a message that I had already emptied the chest when opening it in subsequent runs.

Have I broken the chest for that quest for the character due to excessive repetition? If so, would the chest work once again when I eventually TR the character (which I hope to do at some point down the line)?

Permanently being unable to loot a chest in the starting area even after a TR is no big deal, but I don't want to break chests later on so that I can't loot them, so any idea as to what happened so I don't repeat it would be helpful.

Varashad
03-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Hello everyone,

Firstly, I've noticed when soloing in the starter area that the items I get from chests are almost always unusable my my character. Is this common, perhaps as a means to stimulate trade?

It is exactly intended to stimulate trade, and to increase new player's cash flow, which they will eventually sink into consumables or auction house loot. Keep an eye out for items with a medium or large guild slot, the former of which sells for about 25k, the latter for 75k+, at least on Orien. Maybe more or less on other servers.

Secondly, I was repeating a particular quest many times to set up starting supplies of coin, healing potions, and the like. Apparently, I went through that quest one too many times, as it started giving me a message that I had already emptied the chest when opening it in subsequent runs.

Have I broken the chest for that quest for the character due to excessive repetition? If so, would the chest work once again when I eventually TR the character (which I hope to do at some point down the line)?

Permanently being unable to loot a chest in the starting area even after a TR is no big deal, but I don't want to break chests later on so that I can't loot them, so any idea as to what happened so I don't repeat it would be helpful.

You have "ransacked" this chest. It takes about seven days if I'm correct for it to replenish it's stock, and have loot again. No it is not broken, and yes you will be able to loot it again upon TRing.

Satinavian
03-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Hello everyone,

They are random.

But the chance is already slightly wheighet towards gear for your class. You can turn that off somewhere in the options to make it even more random.

Named items have different rules, but tend to be either completely random or guaranteed.

If your class can't use the mayority of possible gear, then most of it will always be for trade - or for selling to NPC-vendors or for melting it down for crafting.

Have I broken the chest for that quest for the character due to excessive repetition? If so, would the chest work once again when I eventually TR the character (which I hope to do at some point down the line)?It's called ransacking. And it will reset itself in a week, no need to wait until next life. This is to prevent people to enter some quests with chests near entry, looting, leaving, and restarting to loot the same chest 20 times an hour. So, no need to worry :)

Edit : ninja'd

KnightFalz
03-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Wow, if it's weighted to my class, as the check mark in my options indicates, early results suggest the weight in my favour is pretty light. It will inspire me to trade though, so it's probably a good thing.

It's also good to know I didn't manage to break the game already with my rabid repetitious ransacking. *chuckles*

Thank you both for your quick and helpful replies.

Frotz
03-26-2012, 01:08 PM
I believe chest loot is always random (other than the "named" chests with unique items possible), it's just the end reward lists that are affected by the "Class Appropriate" option.

DefunctEquation
03-26-2012, 02:04 PM
The first time a chest is opened, it generates normal loot for you and the game starts a secret timer that lasts exactly 7 days (168 hours), right down to the minute. The second through seventh times you run that dungeon and open that chest, you also get normal loot. Starting after the 8th time, you get a warning notice, the chest's gold and ordinary loot levels drops by 1 (cumulatively!), and many named items stop appearing. You get no loot at all once you've driven the loot level to 0. How long this takes depends on the initial loot level. So, you can loot 8 times per 7 days without ransack. The 9th looting is the first to be reduced (and have no named loot).

I'm not exactly sure how often you can loot a chest to prevent ransacking. Does anyone know? Is it 8 times within the 7 day period? Or can you loot it more as long as it isn't within the same day or two?

Frotz
03-26-2012, 02:47 PM
That's 8 times in a 7-day block, not a continuously running 7 days. You have to wait the full seven days from the first opening to reset the timer and ransacking.

THOTHdha
03-26-2012, 03:10 PM
But the chance is already slightly wheighet towards gear for your class. You can turn that off somewhere in the options to make it even more random.

Wow, if it's weighted to my class, as the check mark in my options indicates, early results suggest the weight in my favour is pretty light. It will inspire me to trade though, so it's probably a good thing.

That check box effects quest end rewards ONLY, not chests. And only randomly generated quest rewards, not any of the 'named' items like all of the starter quests offer.