PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions, improvements on f2p Cleric build

onyshiwa
03-24-2012, 06:48 AM
Hey everyone,

I finally started to play DDo more 'serious' and decided to play a Cleric for various reasons. I am familiar with D&D rules and leveling after playing plenty (maybe all) of the single player games based on D&D rulesets (different versions of course). So I dig around some forums and blogs about DDo Clerics and grabbed me a building tool and here is what I came up with.

Important things you should know about the build:
It is a f2p account (for now at least)
Aimed to be able to play some quests solo and not always be relieable on others (not including hirelings)
Being a caster not a melee Cleric

If you make suggestions please try to explain them. Please do not just state do this do that I am trying to understand the game.

Thank you everyone in advanced for your help :)

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.12.01
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 Chaotic Good Human Male
(20 Cleric)
Hit Points: 252
Spell Points: 1428
BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
Fortitude: 14
Reflex: 5
Will: 19

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(28 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 12 12
Dexterity 8 8
Constitution 14 14
Intelligence 8 8
Wisdom 18 25
Charisma 10 12

Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 0.5 10
Bluff 0 1
Concentration 6 25
Diplomacy 0 1
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle 0 1
Heal 4 9
Hide -1 -1
Intimidate 0 1
Jump 1 1
Listen 4 7
Move Silently -1 -1
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair -1 -1
Search -1 -1
Spot 4 7
Swim 1 1
Tumble -0.5 -0.5
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Spell Penetration
Feat: (Human Bonus) Toughness
Enhancement: Improved Heal I
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic I
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality I

Level 2 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom I
Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery I

Level 3 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Empower Healing I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life I

Level 4 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Improved Heal II
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic II
Enhancement: Cleric Charisma I

Level 5 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Human Adaptability Wisdom I
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Turning I
Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery II

Level 6 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Heighten Spell
Enhancement: Cleric Radiant Servant I

Level 7 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Empower Healing II

Level 8 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic III

Level 9 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom II

Level 10 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic IV

Level 11 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life I
Enhancement: Cleric Charisma II

Level 12 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell
Enhancement: Cleric Radiant Servant II

Level 13 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom III

Level 14 (Cleric)

Level 15 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Spell Penetration
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Empower Healing III

Level 16 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Spell Penetration I
Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery III

Level 17 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery IV

Level 18 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Extra Turning
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life II
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life III

Level 19 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life II

Level 20 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Intervention
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life III
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot I

Kmnh
03-24-2012, 06:52 AM
Clerics get their first viable damage spells at level 9 (flame strike and divine punishment). So, even if you are not going to be a melee at the midgame, pick up a good weapon, and learn how to use your melee buffs :)

FrozenNova
03-24-2012, 07:45 AM
Spell penetration won't help you at all in early levels, no lowbie enemies have spell resistance, so you can swap that up. I'd actually recommend taking extra turning earlier - 4 extra turns is big in low levels, not so much at level 18.

Casting clerics do rely on others, especially until they get blade barrier. You can melee your way to level 11 with 12 str if you'd like, but it's not going to be pretty.

Feats are fine, overall. I may swap extra turning at cap out for empower for more divine punishment goodness, and I may swap greater spell penetration out for focus: evocation - since if you need GSP to bypass their SR, chances are you won't be landing any DC-based spells anyway, while focus: evocation will boost implode and also help blade barrier, which doesn't benefit from penetration.

Be aware that due to Turbine's conceptions of how to balance high level content, your DC-based casting will be minimally effective through sharvarath and in epic unless you plan to rack up half a dozen past lives. Three wizard lives and three sorc lives translates to +4 evocation DC and +6 spell penetration, and those (annoyingly) huge bonuses are the barrier between lacking and omnipotent for a casting divine.

There's a good thread around here somewhere on how to ensure you max your wisdom, but I can't seem to find it now. Ah well.

EllisDee37
03-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Out of curiosity, why Chaotic Good? As a general rule true neutral is ideal.

I like your stat distribution a lot. I went 14/8/14/10/17/9 and regret it. I'd like your stats much better.

onyshiwa
03-24-2012, 05:17 PM
@ForzeNova Thx man this is really helpful. Sadly I already started the Char and took SpellPenetration but yea no first char is the perfect char I guess. But I am planning on doing at least one full reincarnation so I can fixed that later *g

@EllisDee37 Glad you like my distribution :) I do like it too *g Chaotic good cause it is what I played in singleplayer games. Just some roleplay thing :)

nicnivyn
03-24-2012, 05:36 PM
I recently leveled a 28 point cleric on my f2p account, so here are some tips that I employed. I see that you say you already rolled the character, so you may disregard all or most of this - or take it into consideration if you decided to re-roll or make another character.

As mentioned, True Neutral is slightly preferable as alignment because in some quests and against some mobs you'll take less damage. Also you can use things like Stability and Greater Stability for the bonuses to saves (and AC but generally you're not going to care about AC).

I would reduce STR and take extra points in CON and CHA. Start with an odd number and even it out with a +1 tome to start off (level 3, easily obtainable and getting cheaper by the minute with tomes carrying over on TR's), if you get a +2 tome at some point if you are human you can even your stat out with enhancements.

As for CHA, same thing with the tomes and enhancement points, plus exta CHA gives you extra turns which on a cleric means extra healing and undead pwnage.

Look for or have crafted for you the following: Superior Benevolence IV (Holy Smite, available at level 7 on a cleric is a decent AOE damage spell), Superior Ardor 5 (bursts and aura), and Superior Brilliance V (Divine Punishment, Level 9). Superior Potency VI for Blade Barrier and Heal, Superior Efficacy VI clickies until you can use the potency item.

Feats I like include Toughness, Empower Healing, Maximize, Empower, Quicken, Heighten, Shield Mastery, and Evocation Focus or Spell Penetration. I will often take Extend for low levels, and trade it out for Shield Mastery between level 12 and 14 (free feat swap).

Start at 18 WIS (as you did), put every level up into WIS, look for tomes early. Even on a 28 point build you can get decent enough DC's for cruising through Vale quests and that's all you really need, especially if you're intending to TR.

On my f2p account I had Delera's and Vale, that's it for paid packs. Still made 20 pretty easily running those and all the free content in the game.

Good luck and have fun!

PNellesen
03-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Feats I like include Toughness, Empower Healing, Maximize, Empower, Quicken, Heighten, Shield Mastery, and Evocation Focus or Spell Penetration. I will often take Extend for low levels, and trade it out for Shield Mastery between level 12 and 14 (free feat swap).

I've got a 19C/1F Melee cleric who I've been trying to decide what to trade Extend for now that he's at cap and won't be doing much soloing any more (about all he uses it for is Divine Power) - Shield Mastery sounds pretty good; Do you have to be actively blocking for it to work?

nicnivyn
03-24-2012, 10:33 PM
I've got a 19C/1F Melee cleric who I've been trying to decide what to trade Extend for now that he's at cap and won't be doing much soloing any more (about all he uses it for is Divine Power) - Shield Mastery sounds pretty good; Do you have to be actively blocking for it to work?

No, which is why it's so cool. The damage reduction from shield mastery works whenever you have a shield equiped, and stacks with blocking dr when you do block.

Jingwei
03-25-2012, 01:10 AM
One warning about true neutral. The 'pure good' suffix on weapons is usually worth having on low level weapons, and most characters can't manage the UMD 20 needed to equip pure good weapons for some time.

So, for characters with a lot of resources, pure good weapons are a small thing to give up for crafted superior stability at lvl 3. Since your cleric won't really be worrying about beating things up, this isn't that important, but for more melee focused characters, this may be.

I wouldn't recommend reducing strength down to 8. I'ts too easy to get hit with ray of exhaustion and be made helpless.

Up until you hit level 11, clerics don't have an efficient way of turning spell points into damage, so I don't think they can solo very well. They can probably do OK with weapon and shield until around level 5, but around then, their lack of to hit means that they can do damage to things fast enough. You get divine power at level 7, but I don't think there would be enough SP to keep it up all the time at that level, especially when you have to use lots of PS to heal yourself.

Also looks like you only put half a point into tumble. When people say you should 'put a point into tumble', they mean 2 skill points, so you have a tumble of 1.0, not .5. I don't think a tumble of .5 does anything.

Would recommend taking shield mastery at first level. When not meleeing, you can use a tower shield for the added DR, since you won't care about your ability to hit things in melee. The feat that gets dropped for this is extra turning, with the spell penetration feats delayed until lvls 15 and 18.

Would consider giving up some enhancements (life prayer of life III) for smiting II, since divine punishment is that good of a spell against most bosses.

Lalangamena
03-25-2012, 02:29 AM
My opinion on clerics:

1) alignment: either neutral to be able to use stability items, or lawful good ( for "axiomatic of pure good" and similar items)
my first char was lawful good, and 2-12 + 1-6 damage on my axiomatic of lawful good mace made a decent damage on cleric.
here you have to remember that "HOLY or HOLY BURST" items does not require "good" alignment but very expensive to craft.
wearing superior stability at level 7 is a very good feeling ( armor with +6 to deflection and +6 to saves... ) clerics NEED this +6 for the reflex save.
your choice, its offence vs defense

2) stats your stats are good spread for cleric, but I like charisma on clerics, i would swap str with cha, but that's just me. also you said you want caster cleric and not melee.

3) feats:

taking both spell penetration feats on first life will gimp you more than help you.
extra turning is a nice one, but you have to understand what you sacrificing instead.

human bonus:toughness --> more HP and open HP enhancement line, 42HP on level 20, must.
1)shield mastery, -->passive damage reduction, 15% damage less on large shields, can save your life. suggested
3)empower healing-->, your main feat and required for radiant servant must
6) maximize spell,--> to boost aura and burst for free must also nice on blade barrier and divine punishment
9) empower spell,---> to boost aura and burst for free suggested
12)quicken spell:--> you will absolutely need this for mass heal spell also nice on combat Resurrections must
15) heighten spell -> to raise the DC of your spells, either CC or instakills, not a necessity on healbots with static group, these will chose extra turning for bursts. nice to have
18) if you took heighten, take spell penetration here, if you have enough wizzy past lives, take take it here, if you healboting and took extra turning last time, take mental toughness for extra mana. nice to have

for more offensive build caster cleric I would suggest the following feat line:
HB: toughness
1) emp heal
3) maximize
6)sf necro
9) spell pen ( if you have wizzy past life take it here, youll get the +2 spelpen passive and +1 to all DC)
12)heighten
15) quicken
18)gsf necro /sf evocation

zex95966
03-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Disregard the tumble thing... you can get away fine with a .5 or even -1.5 tumble.
after buffs from anything... a guildship, a pot, heroism... or the npcs standing around town you can tumble just fine and it's not needed for 99% of the content anyway.

stats are fine really, as long as you max wisdom and put at least 14 con your fine.
Feats are easy:
Toughness
Empower heal
Quicken
Maximize

that's all thats needed.

after that it's all a matter of opinion
some take evocation focus, some take necromancy focus, some take empower, some take spell pen... none of them are gamebreaking though. Quicken is only really needed for raids or a small amount of elite content maybe. I know some clerics that take the shield feats as well. Empower helps with your damaging spells, but maximize is better and more efficient, sure you can use both, but then when you throw a heal your prob overhealing most of the time. of course you can toggle them, but when **** hits the fan, the monsters aren't gonna wait for you to toggle **** on/off.

I'd take quicken earlier (than in the previous post), at least if you plan on doing either elite content or raids at all.

unbongwah
03-26-2012, 07:00 PM
FWIW, here's my take on a 28-pt human cleric:

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.11.02
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 True Neutral Human Female
(20 Cleric)
Hit Points: 262
Spell Points: 1437
BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
Fortitude: 14
Reflex: 5
Will: 20

Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(28 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 14 14
Dexterity 8 8
Constitution 14 14
Intelligence 8 8
Wisdom 18 27
Charisma 8 8

Level 1 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell
Feat: (Human Bonus) Shield Mastery

Level 2 (Cleric)

Level 3 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 4 (Cleric)
Ability Raise: WIS

Level 5 (Cleric)

Level 6 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell
Enhancement: Cleric Radiant Servant I
Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Improved Heal I
Enhancement: Improved Heal II
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Smiting I
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life I
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life I
Enhancement: Cleric Smiting I
Enhancement: Cleric Smiting II
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic I
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic II
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom I
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality I
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Turning I

Level 7 (Cleric)

Level 8 (Cleric)

Level 9 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Empower Spell

Level 10 (Cleric)

Level 11 (Cleric)

Level 12 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell
Enhancement: Cleric Radiant Servant II
Enhancement: Unyielding Sovereignty
Enhancement: Follower of the Sovereign Host
Enhancement: Human Adaptability Wisdom I
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life II
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Smiting I
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic III
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom II
Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery I
Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery II

Level 13 (Cleric)

Level 14 (Cleric)

Level 15 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Extra Turning

Level 16 (Cleric)

Level 17 (Cleric)

Level 18 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Heighten Spell

Level 19 (Cleric)

Level 20 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Intervention
Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery II
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Smiting II
Enhancement: Cleric Smiting III
Enhancement: Cleric Smiting IV
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic IV
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom III
Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning I
Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery III
Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery IV

The last two feats are open to debate. Other options include: Extend instead of Extra Turning; Spell Pen & Greater Spell Pen (in which case I would take some Spell Pen enhs too); or SF&GSF Evocation.