PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: add a distance component to spot & search

Zax
03-23-2012, 11:30 AM
I think it would be a good idea to add distance as a component to search and spot when it comes to traps, secret doors, and similar tasks. Perhaps lower DCs by 2 across the board, and add +1 to the DC for every 5' away from the object.

This would make intuitive sense (more perceptive characters can detect something is amiss from further away) and also serve to 'reward' those characters who focus on those skills. This would give rogues following the way of the mechanic the ability to notice a trap a hair earlier than his ranger companion.

Zyerz
03-23-2012, 11:35 AM
I think it would be a good idea to add distance as a component to search and spot when it comes to traps, secret doors, and similar tasks. Perhaps lower DCs by 2 across the board, and add +1 to the DC for every 5' away from the object.

This would make intuitive sense (more perceptive characters can detect something is amiss from further away) and also serve to 'reward' those characters who focus on those skills. This would give rogues following the way of the mechanic the ability to notice a trap a hair earlier than his ranger companion.

The DC doesnt go down or up, but both spot and search are distance related as far as I can tell. The higher search or spot, the further away from the trap or door you can be to discover them.

learst
03-23-2012, 11:36 AM

Hm, I thought currently that's how spot functions. I thought the higher your spot, the further away from the trap the danger sign pops up. Or maybe it was just my imagination??:confused:

Nyxianne
03-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Yep, it's that way currently :) The closer you get to a trapbox the easier time you have searching it out, 'tis why a rogue can't search at the beginning of the quest (in most cases) and pop all the boxes and secret doors.

InsanityIsYourFriend
03-23-2012, 11:46 AM
so your saying that if a lvl 20 mechanic rogue with skill focuses and skill masteries, and huge search could enter a lvl 2 quest search and find all the traps? if its distance related that ups the DC im sure a rogue with al that and gear could find something that was originally a low DC

Emili
03-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Spot and search already work that way... the more you have in spot the greater the distance you see objects - beit traps or mob. Combined with search the more distance you may search.

Memnir
03-23-2012, 12:02 PM
I can see where you are going with this. My only issue is, I think that the "distance" idea could be tweaked just a bit.

I don't know why, since the Spot skill helps with trap finding, that Rogues and Artificers don't get a "Shadow Box" on the wall if their Spot is high enough. I mean, that is how it works with monsters in DDO. High enough Spot = seeing the stealthy mob walking about. I think that same mechanic should be placed on traps and trap boxes - but with a much higher DC then Search. Any trap-buster can search for a trap, but only the truly masterful can take one look at a wall and say "trap there, hold up".

A master trap-buster in DDO with a high enough Spot should just be able to "see" the box and disable it - sans the searching animation.

This would still enable a distance mechanic - but limit it to sight range, and even then only if one is paying attention. It'd also still give the devious Devs a new way to place traps to catch lazy Rogues and Artificers. :)

learst
03-23-2012, 12:15 PM
I can see where you are going with this. My only issue is, I think that the "distance" idea could be tweaked just a bit.

I don't know why, since the Spot skill helps with trap finding, that Rogues and Artificers don't get a "Shadow Box" on the wall if their Spot is high enough. I mean, that is how it works with monsters in DDO. High enough Spot = seeing the stealthy mob walking about. I think that same mechanic should be placed on traps and trap boxes - but with a much higher DC then Search. Any trap-buster can search for a trap, but only the truly masterful can take one look at a wall and say "trap there, hold up".

A master trap-buster in DDO with a high enough Spot should just be able to "see" the box and disable it - sans the searching animation.

This would still enable a distance mechanic - but limit it to sight range, and even then only if one is paying attention. It'd also still give the devious Devs a new way to place traps to catch lazy Rogues and Artificers. :)

This is an interesting idea. The only caveat is to make it distinguishable visually (not to the point of a bright billboard arrow pointing at it) but non-highlightable/selectable unless searched out. This would prevent the trapper from inadvertently figuring out the trap box/trap by tabbing. :P

Zax
03-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Thanks everybody. My ranger and our trapmonkey always flagged traps at the same time, so I had assumed it was a fixed distance. It is helpful to know that it is skill dependent.

Nyxianne
03-23-2012, 08:06 PM
so your saying that if a lvl 20 mechanic rogue with skill focuses and skill masteries, and huge search could enter a lvl 2 quest search and find all the traps? if its distance related that ups the DC im sure a rogue with al that and gear could find something that was originally a low DC

Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration, and maybe it needs the concept needs to be clarified a bit better. The closer you are to the trap box, the better chance you have of finding it. The farther you are from the trap box the less of a chance you have to find it. Does this mean someone can stand at the entrance to a quest and search out every box in the quest? No. It just means that if you are having a hard time popping a trap box (or a secret door for that matter) try getting closer. I'm sure that while this does have a distance function set into it, there is still a maximum distance away you can be in order to trigger the box.