PDA

View Full Version : After level 9 Wizard spells?

GaryDDO
03-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Hi,

Sorry for this ultra newbie Q but, on the spell charts, they only go up to level 9.

I am guessing that after level 9, do you just pick from the remaining lower level spells you don't already have?

Any other info relating to this?

Thanks much!

Pank
03-22-2012, 10:54 AM
I think there is some misunderstanding here: spell level is not the same as character (or caster) level.
Please check the wiki to see at what character (caster) level you get what level spells and how many. The chart in the following link shows it (i took wizard for example):

http://ddowiki.com/page/Wizard

Tyrande
03-22-2012, 10:56 AM
That's spell level, different from character level.

A 9th level arcane spell requires 17+ wizard levels or 18+ sorcerer levels to cast.

A 9th level divine spell requires 17+ cleric levels or 18+ favored soul levels to cast.

(after MOTU expansion)
A 9th level nature spell requires 17+ druid levels or 18+ shaman levels to cast.

learst
03-22-2012, 10:57 AM
There are only up to lvl 9 spells, which you will gain access if you have 17 wizard/cleric levels, or 18 sorceror/favoured soul levels.

For wizard, you need to scribe scrolls to learn them (other than the few you pick at starting. Clerics gain access to all lvl 9 spells.

All classes are constrained by the number of spell slots available to choose from.

licho
03-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Im not sure what are you asking about.

There is no higher spells than tier IX. (the one with wail, mass hold monster, summon monster IX).
As wizard you can cast this spells once reach lv 17 of wizard.
Each time you level you can "learn" any 2 spell from the tiers you can cast.
Example: If you level up from level 8 wizzard to 9, then you can add to your spellbook any 2 spells from tiers I-V.

Advanced advice:
- Some spells cant be bought from vendor, this is all VIII-IX, and some from lower tiers. So its good to know them and pick them while leveling.
http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Rare_Arcane_Scroll_List
You can also find them in chest sometimes, or just buy from AH, however this may be pricy.
- You can learn (inscribe) spells even if you cant cast the tier. For example as level 4 wizard you can inscirbe tier 3 spells (like haste, firaball). This may be handy, to just inscribe all the spells in advance so no need to wonder what to pick while leveling up.

The important spells to pick up:
All wizards: Dimension Door, Wall of Fire, Eladars RUge, Niacs bitting cold.
Pale Master: Negative energy burst, death aura (both level 4).

SOme level VIII-IX: Wail, mass hold monster, Trap the soul, Otto irrestable dance, Otto Sphere of Dancing. power word Kill
But before you reach levels it matter you will probably learn the stuff.
Good luck.

TheHolyDarkness
03-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Here's the analogy I like to use for people new to dnd.

You know Final Fantasy? Remember how things worked back there? Fire 1/Fire -> Fire 2/Fira -> Fire 3/Firaga?

How about Pokemon? Ember -> Flamethrower -> Fire Blast?

That's what we mean by spell levels here. Except, instead of just 3 tiers, it goes all the way up to say, Fire 9.

Roughly speaking of course.

In prior RPGs such as Final Fantasy, you didn't learn Fire 3 at CHARACTER LEVEL three now did you? Neither with Pokemon, or any RPG you happen to relate to. Nah. You had to hit character level...50ish or whatever before the advanced stuff became available. Did you not?

In the case of DDO, you need to reach level 17 or 18.

That analogy should clarify I'd hope.

~TheHolyDarkness Out~

Phidius
03-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Here, this might help.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0012.html

GaryDDO
03-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Many thanks for the fast and helpful replies. I will sort through it all.